New Module: Rabid Elephant NATURAL GATE

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:01 pm

bemushroomed wrote:https://www.signalsounds.com/rabid-elep ... ate-module

in stock in case someone on the forum is looking for this module.
i´ve checked this the same day:
was sold out ! :lol:

(not in need for NGs myself ! I might even sell one (within switzerland / medical bills throwing me back )
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aroom » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Is it good to process noise for percussive sound? Didn’t find any demos...

Funky40 let me know if you wanna sell it. I’m based on Switzerland.

vibralux
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vibralux » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Yep - it was FAST. I signed for notification at signalsound and I almost missed
it just an hour after i got the message, that its in. But its coming.
Any day now :nana: :nana:
MY YT CHANNEL WITH MODULES REVIEWS:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3IgU2 ... hKH8ou7YTQ

MODULARS, ABLETON, MIXING. Stop reading manuals. Start making music.
http://www.colormysound.com/

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:06 pm

It makes me question how many units were supplied to each vendor that were exclusive.

Seems to be a limited 'small' number and I question if Rabid know the demand, why they don't increase production.

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:03 am

Wow £400 beans in the UK now. Should have sold mine for more money, gave it away compared to that price!

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:48 am

We have started shipping units. I created and sent labels to my manufacturer (who is shipping direct for us) for maybe 150 units total so far. Both retailers' orders (Schneiders and Signal Sounds) should be out the door. There are still a bunch more to ship. I'm shipping in order of pre-order date. When these are all shipped out, I'll sell the modules reserved for 'direct sales' on our site, then shortly thereafter open up pre-orders again if there's still interest.

In regards to demand, I really don't know exact figures but it kind of doesn't matter as it's capital limited. We're making a lot of units already and it is not a small number, I assure you. In batch sizes comparable to other manufacturers. I don't make more because there isn't another 50-100k laying around on a guess that 2x more will sell. It's super risky and for me, simply not worth the risk considering there's a method we've installed for those that really want one to be able to get one... The pre-order customers (thanks so much to these people, btw - everybody should thank them for their contribution) were a way to reliably increase the size of our runs and it indeed worked out well. But it's not like everybody that really wanted a widget did a pre-order. Maybe the terms were too rigid, or too long, or that it was paid in full up-front (all of these policies will remain) but at least there is a way. Considering the wait wasn't horrendous and about on plan (I think we originally were estimating 10mo and we're close), those that want one should know this is the only way to guarantee one with us.

Right now the CM is waiting on more rear panels - the fabricators of our rear plates used a different protective film than before and it's not as durable as the previous so we have more defects beyond the normal losses we anticipated and are short for the last units of the batch. I'm waiting on an update for timing on the new ones.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:20 am

Sweet, thanks for the update - will there be sent out emails with tracking number and such when the unit ships? :)

I've been wanting one of these for a long time, and glad I did the pre-order back in January, and obviously have nothing but understanding for the way you handle your business. Sounds perfectly reasonable for a one man operation. Besides, we're all adults, we can wait for good things without going crazy (much unlike my 4 year old son, haha).

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:21 am

ok, that explains why i got tracking info but for 3 days usps still hasnt recieved item!

super glad i did the pre order honestly the wait wasnt that bad if you have an optomix to hold you over

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:54 pm

this is the best and musical LPG ever.. and I had them almost all! The very early Plan B M13..etc now I might sell my beloved QMMG, which I believed I'dd never let go :despair:

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:58 pm

PM33AUD wrote:We have started shipping units. I created and sent labels to my manufacturer (who is shipping direct for us) for maybe 150 units total so far. Both retailers' orders (Schneiders and Signal Sounds) should be out the door. There are still a bunch more to ship. I'm shipping in order of pre-order date. When these are all shipped out, I'll sell the modules reserved for 'direct sales' on our site, then shortly thereafter open up pre-orders again if there's still interest.

In regards to demand, I really don't know exact figures but it kind of doesn't matter as it's capital limited. We're making a lot of units already and it is not a small number, I assure you. In batch sizes comparable to other manufacturers. I don't make more because there isn't another 50-100k laying around on a guess that 2x more will sell. It's super risky and for me, simply not worth the risk considering there's a method we've installed for those that really want one to be able to get one... The pre-order customers (thanks so much to these people, btw - everybody should thank them for their contribution) were a way to reliably increase the size of our runs and it indeed worked out well. But it's not like everybody that really wanted a widget did a pre-order. Maybe the terms were too rigid, or too long, or that it was paid in full up-front (all of these policies will remain) but at least there is a way. Considering the wait wasn't horrendous and about on plan (I think we originally were estimating 10mo and we're close), those that want one should know this is the only way to guarantee one with us.

Right now the CM is waiting on more rear panels - the fabricators of our rear plates used a different protective film than before and it's not as durable as the previous so we have more defects beyond the normal losses we anticipated and are short for the last units of the batch. I'm waiting on an update for timing on the new ones.
Makes complete sense. Thanks for the clarification

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:48 pm

Portabella wrote:this is the best and musical LPG ever..
when early adopters were posting along the same lines, as i did, did the people not believe........

i changed later my patch habits to use the NG in parallel with a common VCA*/ENV with great success (*with exp-lin adjustment),
and was quite surprised how different the timbres coming from a nice wavetable VCO can sound ! ( E370 in my case), NG vs. VCA/ENV.
Use both, then thru a crossfader ( CV-able), win-win.

also do i like to patch the signal first thru a VCA (with exp-lin adjustment) controled by a zadar with its wild envelopes and then thru a NG.
(Or even also the other way around ? not shure)

there is a huge amount of control over the sound to have with these type of patches. :cloud:
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:38 am

Just got mine. This thing is friggin’ brilliant. I don’t know what else to say. Sounds amazing and is everything I hoped it would be thus far.

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:58 am

I couldn’t believe I lucked out with a last minute pre-order vacancy, but still no word on shipping. Im guessing mine is waiting on a new rear panel. They don’t tell ya that waiting on euro modules you’ve already purchased is harder than pining for modules you cant afford. And then there’s me, waiting on modules I’ve already purchased, that I cant possibly afford...
Looking at you Sinfonion...

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:00 pm

Buyakasoundman wrote:I couldn’t believe I lucked out with a last minute pre-order vacancy, but still no word on shipping. Im guessing mine is waiting on a new rear panel. They don’t tell ya that waiting on euro modules you’ve already purchased is harder than pining for modules you cant afford. And then there’s me, waiting on modules I’ve already purchased, that I cant possibly afford...
Looking at you Sinfonion...
I was at the tail end of the preorder and just got my shipping notice so I’m sure yours will be soon! Can’t wait to play with this unobtanium :goo:

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:22 pm

Modulus wrote:I was at the tail end of the preorder and just got my shipping notice so I’m sure yours will be soon!
how does one know where he is in the preorder queue? my order number is 1249 and i havent heard anything about shipping, i am just curious.

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:25 pm

racooniac wrote:
Modulus wrote:I was at the tail end of the preorder and just got my shipping notice so I’m sure yours will be soon!
how does one know where he is in the preorder queue? my order number is 1249 and i havent heard anything about shipping, i am just curious.
Mine was order #1238

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:01 pm

(the order numbers will not properly reflect the order queue placement) :miley:

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:25 pm

I don’t really want to add to the hype, but have to admit that the NG is amazing. It makes anything FM’d sound fantastic (eg. Akemie’s Castle, telharmonic, etc.)

I want another one.
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:04 pm

batch wrote:I don’t really want to add to the hype, but have to admit that the NG is amazing. It makes anything FM’d sound fantastic (eg. Akemie’s Castle, telharmonic, etc.)

I want another one.
TBH, I’m not really getting the hype. I mean, it’s sounds great?, that’s cool. Build quality is super high? Also cool. But even if supply was strong, I wouldn’t be dropping 400 ( or 600 if being scalped by a douche) on an LPG. Surely, no matter how good, between lin/ log/ expo responses from envs, and vcas, and god knows how many filters out there, the buchla bongo is but a patch away.

Honest question: what am I missing that’s worth the money, and the wait/angst?

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:09 pm

Keltie wrote:
batch wrote:I don’t really want to add to the hype, but have to admit that the NG is amazing. It makes anything FM’d sound fantastic (eg. Akemie’s Castle, telharmonic, etc.)

I want another one.
TBH, I’m not really getting the hype. I mean, it’s sounds great?, that’s cool. Build quality is super high? Also cool. But even if supply was strong, I wouldn’t be dropping 400 ( or 600 if being scalped by a douche) on an LPG. Surely, no matter how good, between lin/ log/ expo responses from envs, and vcas, and god knows how many filters out there, the buchla bongo is but a patch away.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I don't get the big thing with "complex oscillators", for instance - but a lot of other people seem to like them. Fair enough!

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:17 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Keltie wrote:

I want another one.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I don't get the big thing with "complex oscillators", for instance - but a lot of other people seem to like them. Fair enough!
Oh, for sure. Ppl do what they want and buy what they want. I’m just struggling a bit with this one, given the relatively high price, and the recent extended OT BST topic......

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:21 pm

Keltie wrote:

I want another one.

I had one I bought at launch and flipped it (for less than I paid for it!). It’s a very nice VCA and yes the build quality is of the highest order but didn’t sound as good as my best LPG’s to me at being a LPG. Just doesn’t have that zingy top end fizzle you get with real vactrols. I still kind of wished I’d kept it though for VCA duties.

Triglav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Triglav » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:24 pm

All other LPGs have some compromises. Bleed, vactrol lottery or painstaking selection, non-ideal response for slow decays and/or clickiness. This seems to solve all of those in a compact package so I’d say it’s worth a premium.

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Triglav wrote:All other LPGs have some compromises. Bleed, vactrol lottery or painstaking selection, non-ideal response for slow decays and/or clickiness. This seems to solve all of those in a compact package so I’d say it’s worth a premium.
Makes sense, thanks for that. Still not for me, but strokes/folks.

StateAzure
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StateAzure » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:07 pm

Keltie wrote:

I want another one.

I was pretty skeptical about the NG and also didn't get the hype at all from what I had heard, also the cost really put me off. I still wanted to try it for myself though, and got mine just recently with the intention of sending it right back. Within about 10 second of playing a sequence through it I was blown away by the sound, that snappy LPG type strike is far better than the Optomix or LxD I owned by a huge margin. Yeah the price still hurts, but I love the thing and I no longer have to keep hunting for an LPG I'm happy with.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”