New Module: Rabid Elephant NATURAL GATE

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:22 pm

StateAzure wrote: ............ and I no longer have to keep hunting for an LPG I'm happy with.
Keltie wrote: Honest question: what am I missing that’s worth the money, and the wait/angst?
You decide *what* makes you feel having fun when patching ! and:........how much "that fun" is worth to you.
that simple. ;)

i can repeat it again and again:
*I*, patch one knob controls to my NG. i turn one knob and have FULL control of how my NG sounds. (plus 2x CVs / = needs one Triatt per NG half)
LPGs ?----> :ripbanana:
call it: easy peasy patching incl. top level sound !

easy peasyness summs up !....."workaround patches" doe so also.
Just to say, for those who thought they´d get the same sound elsewhere. Maybe you do.....

Some folks even would not patch a LPG if they had one ! great.....problem solved ;)
But IF you like the sound of LPGs is it much likely that you will LOVE the NG.
Thats the math ( has been posted repeatedly)

i´m NO fanboy of hypes.
But to me, the NG deserves some.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:17 am

I got one the day the first batch came out. It was putting a smile on my face ever since. And after a lot of fun and great sounds the price becomes irrelevant.

A friend of mine bought a knife for 1700€ the other day. I was like: "Are you crazy?" Then he told me that it puts a smile on his face every day at work and makes his work better and faster every day. After some time the price becomes not so important anymore. With the NG and a lot of other modules it feels the same.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:52 am

As they say, something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it

Markthom
Common Wiggler

Post by Markthom » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Having some fun sending a couple of ratcheted sequences from the Performer Sequencer into Instruo Cs-L into Natural Gate

[video][/video]

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:47 am

Very nice - seems like a nice pair! And as someone else I think pointed out - great with the old 'hairy' FM chips in the ALM stuffs (which we love). We've recently been feeding our mk2, mk3 Donuts into the NG with good success after Mr. Wise told me to visit Scott of IME where I was blown away by his personality. Before even hearing the modules, I know there was honesty in them. Anywhoo...

We should have shipped just about all but a couple of pre-order units and will soon open up the remaining 'direct sale' units on our site. If they go quickly again, please realise that there are more coming and the turn times are quicker. Once all of this batch is gone, we'll again open up pre-orders for those that want to reserve one for the next run. Lead times are looking much better as well :)

Thanks again to all who have waited patiently. It went much smoother than I'd've thought it would go considering the wait times. So thanks!

Drum module we're cracking away on and we have another module in the 'Colour' vein that is also now in development. There's also some talk about some sort of envelope module based on a more elegant revision of the NG EG circuit that is more flexible in terms of the shapes that can be made.
We still love modules like Maths. The sequencer is getting huge UX decisions at the moment... it might not quite look like a sequencer when we are done with it!

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:29 am

Natural Gate in stock on their website. https://rabidelephant.com/products/natural-gate

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aroom » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:59 am

Annnnd it’s gone!

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:47 pm

insoul8 wrote:Natural Gate in stock on their website. https://rabidelephant.com/products/natural-gate
Hello and thank you. I happened to see your post about midday and ordered one.

Really I had given up hope of ever finding a new Natural Gate for sale. So this was a nice surprise. :)

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:51 pm

synonymist wrote:
insoul8 wrote:Natural Gate in stock on their website. https://rabidelephant.com/products/natural-gate

Really I had given up hope of ever finding a new Natural Gate for sale. So this was a nice surprise. :)
No problem at all. Glad you were able to get one! I already grabbed one from the pre-order.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:15 pm

lol. i have always wanted to try one, was a pleasant surprise to see them in stock, were all gone by the time i clicked the link.

said fuck it and did a pre-order.

i know the DIREST PREDICTION is eighteen months, the email said it would hopefully be shorter on this pre-order batch. any ideas (tentative of course) on eta?

woot LOOT.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:27 pm

behndy wrote:lol. i have always wanted to try one, was a pleasant surprise to see them in stock, were all gone by the time i clicked the link.

said fuck it and did a pre-order.

i know the DIREST PREDICTION is eighteen months, the email said it would hopefully be shorter on this pre-order batch. any ideas (tentative of course) on eta?

woot LOOT.
This last pre-order took about 11 months for me to get my NG and the next is anticipated to go quicker than that if I understand things correctly. 18 months was just a worst case scenario when taking into account switching manufacturers and the parts shortages at the time.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:06 am

cool cool.

so.

you're saying.

it should ship next week.

NICE. THANK YOU SUH AND/OR MADAM.

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:57 am

Yea, the time they stayed in stock was an order of magnitude longer but when your operand is only a few minutes, still not that long.

With this last run we had our manufacturer do pretty much the entire process. It worked out with only a few blips but the costs were *significantly* higher than the original projections. The time it saved us was also not significant enough to warrant the cost so good ol RE is going to eat the 2nd bowl of porridge and we are going to take back the mechanical assembly, testing, cal, and final packing/shipping in-house as we can do it faster with at least the same level of QC. This frees up way more capital to make more units if we decide to continue to not pay ourselves :D One day I swear we will make a little money doing this!
:75:

We have Portal Drum coming up soon and we're pushing that hard. We also have a Colour module in early stages which is something we've always wanted and now we have a very solid concept for what that should be.

I think we'll have a few more NG demos coming too! I'm glad more folks are liking the widget and getting some musical use out of it.

In regards to timing on the pre-order folks and this next batch, we think we can knock it out in 6-7 months but as always in manufacturing, this is just an estimate with potentially wide error bars (to each side).

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:59 am

gotcha! thanks for th details suh!

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:16 pm

we are going to take back the mechanical assembly, testing, cal, and final packing/shipping in-house as we can do it faster with at least the same level of QC
Please take care to not burn yourselves out, fellas. The struggle is real.

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:40 pm

MARK27 wrote:Please take care to not burn yourselves out, fellas. The struggle is real.
The goal is to burn out the fuse right before you die. So we're on track! :love:

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:21 pm

PM33AUD wrote:
MARK27 wrote:Please take care to not burn yourselves out, fellas. The struggle is real.
The goal is to burn out the fuse right before you die. So we're on track! :love:
A diyre colour module? That would be awesome

I’m confused currently, if I purchase another ng right now is that for in stock modules that you have left over from this run?
look up!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:19 pm

I discovered today that Natural Gate works very nicely with the beastly, noisy output of a Lyra-8 :mrgreen: Would be better if the Lyra had a gate output for its touchplates, but there are alternatives of course.

A quick jam:

https://soundcloud.com/starthief/natural-beast

This is Lyra-8 -> Natural Gate -> Mimeophon.

NG's Hit inputs are triggered by Mimeophon's pulse output, and an LFO is flipping Mimeophon's Flip input.

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:46 am

Dogma wrote:I’m confused currently, if I purchase another ng right now is that for in stock modules that you have left over from this run?
The in stock supply is depleted. Orders are now just for pre-order.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:02 pm

Finally got my NG today, and although I've only had time to play with it for 15 minutes, this certainly isn't snake oil of any kind. It does sound excellent, and unlike any other lpg I've tried. Well worth the 10 month long wait! :tu:

If you really want this, no reason not to pre-order, in my opinion.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:17 pm

Really excited that more people are getting a chance to try one of these out. I hate to cross post, but I had some fun with the Natural Gate and SSF ZPO and Mimeophone last night. It's a great combination - the natural percussiveness of the different material settings play nicely with something with rich harmonic content like the ZPO - and of course all those clicks feed nicely into the Mimeophone.

In this patch, I'm triggering both channels of the NG with gates from the Varigate 8+, but also triggering an envelope that feeding into the CTRL inputs on both channels of the NG with a negative offset, so it creates some nice push/pull moments. I'm also modulating the decay of both channels with an sequences from the Voltage Block.

[video][/video]

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:36 pm

synonymist wrote:

UPDATE: There was no module available after all. Today I learned that, though not by design nonetheless the e-commerce workflow took my order and payment against nonexistent inventory. So, given a choice between waiting half a year for a module and getting a refund today, I took the refund.

Afterword: Clear to me now is that 1. If it seems to good to be true, probably it is, and 2. Apparently Rabid Elephant is an operation (can't call it a company, really) that is able to design and make distinctive and superior instruments, but only rarely and in fits and starts; beautiful for art, but a complete mess for business.

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:45 pm

synonymist wrote:Apparently Rabid Elephant is an operation (can't call it a company, really) that is able to design and make distinctive and superior instruments, but only rarely and in fits and starts; beautiful for art, but a complete mess for business.
after waiting months for my module, i'm happy that some module makers are in it for the art. otherwise, some of these things might not exist... or might only exist in a more compromised form.

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:27 am

Had to take th plunge and order one of these. Sounds amazing from everything I've heard. Hurry up and wait as my grandmother would say!

Great work by RE and looking forward to learning more about their new modules.

bgribble
Common Wiggler

Post by bgribble » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:29 pm

FWIW there's a manufacturing update about the next run of Natural Gates:

https://rabidelephant.com/blogs/general ... r-6th-2019

Here's hoping that the next run will be bigger and faster than ever!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”