New Module: Rabid Elephant NATURAL GATE

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Multiverse_Eros
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Multiverse_Eros » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:27 pm

They just posted that they're closing the PO Window soon. Bad time for me to drop $450 but I'm debating on it :roll:

mmontazeri
Learning to Wiggle

Re: New Module: Rabid Elephant NATURAL GATE

Post by mmontazeri » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:21 pm

Preorders appear to be open again - FYI.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:47 pm

I managed to convince him to open the preorders up again right when he closed them :) Looks like he decided to keep them open for a bit or forgot lol. I can't wait to get mine! I satisfied my needs with a Make Noise LxD and I've never loved creating percussion this much, NG is gonna be dope :sb:

The desire to sample all this however has made me crave an ER-301 even more..

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:24 pm

any idea when this last preorder batch will ship?
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Brennanib
Common Wiggler

Post by Brennanib » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:40 pm

behndy wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:24 pm
any idea when this last preorder batch will ship?
Would love to know as well!!
@brennanfowlerib
@patchnbrew
@motsgso

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC177iw ... ZO6a8Yu6Sg
Dragonaut wrote:PMed for Cat...

bgribble
Common Wiggler

Post by bgribble » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:57 pm

The last update, on Jan 12 2020, says that first articles from this run will be coming from the contract manufacturer in "a few weeks". I would guess those are initial populated PCBs to validate the manufacturing process, not units for sale. Still, it's good news for the preorder list for sure.

The only thing in the update that worries me is the panel manufacturing. Sounds like they are doing some slightly tricky things to get the panels made in PCB material and be beautiful. Best of luck to them!

https://rabidelephant.com/blogs/general ... -12th-2020

parsec foley
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parsec foley » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:17 am

PM33AUD wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:57 am
We also have a Colour module in early stages which is something we've always wanted and now we have a very solid concept for what that should be.
Finally someone is looking back at the DYIRE brilliant idea! only black market modular Palette were accepting this challenge (and it's been totally underestimated). I think it would take time, but breaking the boundaries between high end audio, 500 series format and eurorack is what people want, without knowing it! Fraptools have already started making 500's

Hope this project is still going on. You are philosophical makers indeed, in the likes of very few others like mannequins.

bgribble
Common Wiggler

Post by bgribble » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:27 pm

Not sure why I feel compelled to post when Rabid Elephant updates the Natural Gate manufacturing status! But they have, as of Feb 20, 2020:

https://rabidelephant.com/blogs/general ... -20th-2020
The first articles are finished and on the way - they should arrive next week. At this point I'll go through them and confirm the programming and workmanship. Then we will arrange a date for the full run to be manufactured.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:29 pm

nurp. i appreciate the updates playah.

you keep doing you.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

goldi
Common Wiggler

Post by goldi » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:15 pm

I'm sure this latest production got squashed in Covid mayhem :zombie:

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:35 pm

Last update was on March 23, and it seemed like things were moving along. But I'm sure things are slowed down at least a bit.

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:31 pm

Do someone know if this module is going to be back in store ? Or are they all booked already by now ?

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:05 pm

As far as I know, they closed preorders. As to what happens next... no idea.

Someday I hope to understand why it is that they require preorders so far in advance, why the builds take so long, how many modules are in a batch, etc. I just get the feeling that something seems horribly inefficient.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

Paul_N
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paul_N » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:14 pm

I jumped onboard and ordered a natural gate back in early November. They had mentioned that the wait wouldn’t be as long as it was previously. This was obviously before covid19. From what I’ve heard (but not specific to Rabid Elephant), factories are starting to open back up, but they are rushing manufacturing; trying to address a lot of backlog pressure. The rushed orders have lead to substandard quality, with a lot of runs having to be scrapped and re-done. I’m hoping that isn’t the case with the Natural Gate. Rabid Elephant appears to have a very high standard of quality/testing.

Natural Gates do pop up for sale occasionally though. I’ve gotten some hits on Reverb in the past.

DeltaTucanae
Common Wiggler

Post by DeltaTucanae » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:15 am

Fingers crossed for another run this year with pre-orders opening back up, though I imagine they are pretty busy with the near completion of the portal kick and the manufacturing delays.

bgribble
Common Wiggler

Post by bgribble » Mon May 18, 2020 10:09 am

There's a new update on the Rabid Elephant page:

https://rabidelephant.com/blogs/general ... ay-18-2021

Looks like there's at least a line of sight to resuming the build of this run, if the timings in the article work out maybe August or so?

dani
Common Wiggler

Post by dani » Mon May 18, 2020 4:39 pm

getting my rack ready.. oh forgot about the shipping situation

let‘s hope the best, at least they warned us before the pandemic of a long delivery time

maybe I manage to get the funds for a 0-Ctrl in the mean time, seems to be a promising couple..

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Mon May 18, 2020 5:57 pm

Glad to know they have something like a timeline, but happy to wait until they can safely get back to work.

DeltaTucanae
Common Wiggler

Post by DeltaTucanae » Mon May 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Is this upcoming batch that they are completing the preorder run that is now not available? Or an upcoming batch

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon May 18, 2020 6:08 pm

I paid for one last December I think. Supposedly at that time it was around six months until they were suppose to be done but who knows now since this virus?
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Tue May 19, 2020 11:27 pm

bgribble wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:09 am
There's a new update on the Rabid Elephant page:

https://rabidelephant.com/blogs/general ... ay-18-2021

Looks like there's at least a line of sight to resuming the build of this run, if the timings in the article work out maybe August or so?
Yeah, hopefully. Finally something that we can look up for.

I was getting worried TBH but can't really blame them for keeping silent when they didn't have any meaningful information to share, other perhaps than a reassuring sign of life.

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Wed May 20, 2020 9:16 am

Hello folks!

We are making good progress with our manufacturer and it's looking like I can fly back to the USA without much issue (though returning back from is something I still have to check about). I'll be arranging flights in the next week. Things are still tentative and something not fully known but so far the virus situation has not had a major impact (one nice thing about having a pretty 'lean' operation here :D). And thanks to the folks who pop in the News updates from our site!

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 am

Glad to hear!

100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:52 pm

Any news from the front?

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:55 pm

Heyo! Ya, we're prob due for another update! I'll pop one on the website but here's what's going on:

I'm back in the USA now. We had some customs issues with our front panels - the customs has been very stringent lately - even with the same processes we've used... so I'll get that sorted when they arrive - I anticipate them back to the USA in a few days. Then another few to get em back over and maybe a week or 2 to get them cut and sent back. I'm arranging the build stations for the final assy, cal, test, packing, etc. The PCBA (the electronics-only portion) are all finished with the CM and I plan to grab them next week and start working on them. Normally we do the last few steps with the front panels installed but I think I have enough dummy panels from all of the rejects we've had over the years that will suffice in the interim. So I can get rolling there. Due to all of the delays and this virus stuff, it's an ASAP situation so they'll get finished soon as they can.

After these are all out, we'll be right on the Portal Drum. I've got a really nice working pre-production prototype here with me that I was able to finish before I had to break everything down in der Schweiz. The panel artwork for that is finished and so once we get some of the final panels back, we can show it to folks and make some videos and open up pre-orders for that guy. The Portal Drum is sick. And while my accountant may not agree, I'm glad we waited 3 years for its development haha!

We're all alive and well and things are moving forward. We've also been finalising an RE utility module and have some core components of our LIFE VCO/voice module finished, too! Groovebox is going to go as well but we're still doing the search for solid developers.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”