4ms & Matthias Puech — Tapographic Delay

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:55 am

It should be easy, no? :hmm: Just tap the rhythm that you want.
909, manic trilling courtesy of Make Noise René and DPO, wavetable bass by Disting and some soft melodies by the Korg Minilogue. I mainly sat and watched it all unfold. :eek:

mqtthiqs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mqtthiqs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:11 am

Superaction80 wrote:I guess my question is better phrased thusly: how easy is it to set up a less fun and more simple tap that just repeats every three clocks? Aside from just buying a DLD and a low pass filter and a comb filter and another vca? :)
Well yes, simpler *is* easier :) If you just tap the sensor twice (one for the dry signal, one for the tap), you'll get the classic, single-tap delay you are used to (e.g. one side of the DLD, Clouds in looping delay, Chronoblob etc.).

Here is a quick, functional demo using Plaits and Marbles as sources of rhythm, melody and percussive sound. I insert a single tap with a gentle low-pass filter, and let Feedback do its repetition work; you see, it does exactly what you are used to. After a while I insert a second one to make things a bit more interesting and for a fuller stereo field. Finally I increase Feedback beyond unity gain to make it bloom into a natural, low pass filtered saturation tone.

[video][/video]

Does it answer your question Superaction80?

Superaction80
Common Wiggler

Post by Superaction80 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:39 am

mqtthiqs wrote:
[video][/video]

Does it answer your question Superaction80?
Essentially is does as the taps syncopate every other cycle. Thanks so much for taking to time to demo a really boring application of a really fun looking module!

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:09 am

Here's a little demo of the Tapographic delay being modulated over a beat making some really interesting Sci-Fi sounds. Looking forward to applying this to sound design in the game I'm working on. :)

https://soundcloud.com/mgfm_sounds/tapographic-delay

I love this thing, at 1:29 in the demo it sounds like a pouring coke into a glass with ice in it haha
Last edited by mikmanner on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:09 am

mikmanner wrote:Here's a little demo of the Tapographic delay being modulated over a beat making some really interesting Sci-Fi sounds...
Far out.

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

mqtthiqs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mqtthiqs » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:14 pm

sounds great mikmanner :yay: :yay:
thx for sharing!

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:34 pm

mqtthiqs wrote:sounds great mikmanner :yay: :yay:
thx for sharing!
Hah thanks for making such an interesting module :)

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:32 am

An example of sound design with the Tapo:

https://soundcloud.com/mgfm_sounds/tapographic-feedback

A host of squelches and movements edited out of a long recording session.

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:18 pm

mikmanner wrote:Here's a little demo of the Tapographic delay being modulated over a beat making some really interesting Sci-Fi sounds. Looking forward to applying this to sound design in the game I'm working on. :)

I love this thing, at 1:29 in the demo it sounds like a pouring coke into a glass with ice in it haha
Amazing man. Is everything done with just the sounds and the tapo? The panning is next level :)

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:18 am

Southfork wrote:
mikmanner wrote:Here's a little demo of the Tapographic delay being modulated over a beat making some really interesting Sci-Fi sounds. Looking forward to applying this to sound design in the game I'm working on. :)

Amazing man. Is everything done with just the sounds and the tapo? The panning is next level :)
Thanks, it's just putting zaps and sweeps from a filter into it and 'hand wanging' the knobs on the Tapo. I'm feeding the Tapo really fast taps from Maths and random volts from Marbles.

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:37 am

mikmanner wrote:An example of sound design with the Tapo:

https://soundcloud.com/mgfm_sounds/tapographic-feedback

A host of squelches and movements edited out of a long recording session.
Love the sounds!
Thank you for sharing!

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun May 06, 2018 12:45 am

Just ordered mine. The first effect module that I’ll actually like? We’ll see. :cloud:
909, manic trilling courtesy of Make Noise René and DPO, wavetable bass by Disting and some soft melodies by the Korg Minilogue. I mainly sat and watched it all unfold. :eek:

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Wed May 23, 2018 8:31 am

i just got one and i am experienced some weird clicks/ pops when changing / modulating the TIME parameter while in SYNC mode....anyone else has this?

mqtthiqs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mqtthiqs » Wed May 23, 2018 9:51 am

BrokenBo wrote:i just got one and i am experienced some weird clicks/ pops when changing / modulating the TIME parameter while in SYNC mode....anyone else has this?
Hi BrokenBo,
I answered this earlier, see my response quoted below. But the real question is: why do you need to be in Sync mode? In my experience helping users, there is some confusion on what Sync mode does, and a lot of people are better off with the Quantization feature (in v1.1).
mqtthiqs wrote:this is expected behavior; let me explain. In Sync mode, the Time knob takes discrete values (time divisions/multiplications): the change from one value to the next is sudden and there is no value in between. So logically you will get a sudden change in the output, because the read head suddenly jumps to a new position, unrelated to the previous one.

Some delays, like the DLD, use rapid crossfading to reduce this effect: for a short amount of time, they keep two taps in the delay: the old location, fading out, and the new location, fading in. For this short amount of time there is therefore twice the amount of work to do; that's fine for the DLD, but the Tapo potentially has 32 taps to add up, which leaves no CPU cycles for doing double the work. During development I had the dilemma of either halving the available taps to 16 and to leave room for these transition crossfades, or keep the 32 taps, and have these "discontinuities" happening only in Sync mode (which are not exactly clicks btw, but have a certain character to them). I preferred the second option because to me, that's what makes the Tapo special, not the synced delay aspect. Does that make sense?

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Wed May 23, 2018 10:24 am

edit: nonsense.

taylor12k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by taylor12k » Wed May 23, 2018 12:26 pm

when you add another tap, after the fact... after a while... does it EXTEND the length of the echo (ie: put it at the "end") or is it inserted somewhere in the middle?

mqtthiqs wrote:
Here is a quick, functional demo using Plaits and Marbles as sources of rhythm, melody and percussive sound. I insert a single tap with a gentle low-pass filter, and let Feedback do its repetition work; you see, it does exactly what you are used to. After a while I insert a second one to make things a bit more interesting and for a fuller stereo field. Finally I increase Feedback beyond unity gain to make it bloom into a natural, low pass filtered saturation tone.

[video][/video]

Does it answer your question?

mqtthiqs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mqtthiqs » Wed May 23, 2018 2:40 pm

taylor12k wrote:when you add another tap, after the fact... after a while... does it EXTEND the length of the echo (ie: put it at the "end") or is it inserted somewhere in the middle?
Well that's exactly what the switch on the left chooses: on ADD it adds extends the length of the echo, on INS it is inserted in the middle. And on OFF nothing happens when you tap, so you can "lock" your tapography when you're happy with it.

taylor12k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by taylor12k » Wed May 23, 2018 2:54 pm

thanks!

in terms of adding onto the end.. does it matter when you hit it? in other words, do you need to wait until the last tap sounds and THEN try to hit it? (i could see it being difficult to determine where the "last" tap is).. or, is there some calculation happening to determine how much space is added no matter when you make the ADD tap?
mqtthiqs wrote:
taylor12k wrote:when you add another tap, after the fact... after a while... does it EXTEND the length of the echo (ie: put it at the "end") or is it inserted somewhere in the middle?
Well that's exactly what the switch on the left chooses: on ADD it adds extends the length of the echo, on INS it is inserted in the middle. And on OFF nothing happens when you tap, so you can "lock" your tapography when you're happy with it.

4mspedals
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 4mspedals » Thu May 24, 2018 12:45 pm

The "timer" starts counting as soon as you switch to ADD. So if you flip to ADD, wait two seconds, and tap once, then it'll add that tap on the end (two seconds after the previous last tap).

However, if you flip to "ADD" and don't actually add another tap, then no changes will be made to your tapography.
taylor12k wrote:thanks!

in terms of adding onto the end.. does it matter when you hit it? in other words, do you need to wait until the last tap sounds and THEN try to hit it? (i could see it being difficult to determine where the "last" tap is).. or, is there some calculation happening to determine how much space is added no matter when you make the ADD tap?
mqtthiqs wrote:

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:15 am

first track with my new tapographic delay and control forge, supported by the mighty stillson hammer 8-)

http://soundcloud.com/bo-deep/tapo_cf_1

mqtthiqs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mqtthiqs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:03 pm

taylor12k wrote:in terms of adding onto the end.. does it matter when you hit it? in other words, do you need to wait until the last tap sounds and THEN try to hit it? (i could see it being difficult to determine where the "last" tap is).. or, is there some calculation happening to determine how much space is added no matter when you make the ADD tap?
Hi Taylor,
Just to complete what Dan said earlier (only a few weeks late):
It does matter when you hit the sensor, but your intuition of this "when" being related to the sound you hear is incorrect. Remember that the input can be anything: percussive, in which case you would indeed hear a tap "sound", but also continuous (a drone), in which case there is no particular time when a tap "sounds". Think of what the module does, in first approximation, just as duplicating and layering n copies of the input sound shifted in time, just as you would do with Protools.

There is an internal "stopwatch" that counts time to determine where to place new taps; it starts when you first hit the sensor after a Clear (time zero, the dry sound); subsequent taps will introduce taps shifted by the time indicated by the stopwatch. This stopwatch just counts up when you are on ADD, or loops around the last tap when you are on INS or OFF. There are two visual cues to see where the chronometer is: 1/ the LED "bargraph" blinks blue each time it goes past an inserted tap and 2/ the red "Tap" LED flashes each time the chronometer loops back to zero.

Is it clearer? Page 13 of the manual explains this in a more detail if needed.

mqtthiqs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mqtthiqs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:10 pm

BrokenBo super nice :love: thanks for posting.

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:10 pm

https://soundcloud.com/mgfm_sounds/woody

Still deep into the tapographic delay, slow LFO into the time parameter makes for a freaky creepy beat.

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:23 pm

I have a simple question: how are you finding the Tapographic for dubby delay duties? I mean filtered, slightly warped, dirty repeats. Many demos out there, but they are more focused on the tapography aspect vs. tone.

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:55 am

I have a problem with the gate out on the tapo, it doesn't stay in sync. I've a phone recording of the problem here:

[video][/video]

Everything is coming off the same clock source but as you can hear the gate out on the tapo drifts after a while. At the end of the video I trigger the entity with the same clock through the voltage block and you can hear it's perfectly synced.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”