Serge TKB eurorack by ARC, out now

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

ARC
Learning to Wiggle

Serge TKB eurorack by ARC, out now

Post by ARC » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:37 am

The Serge TKB eurorack sequencer module by ARC is now available from our website: analogueresearch.com
Price is $899, and all of our other modules are currently 10% off this week, to celebrate.

We should have the demo video and manual .PDF posted in the next few days.
Will update when that material is posted online.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Holy crap. Might have to sell my pressure points and sputnik TKB
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

nywang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nywang » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:42 pm

WOW

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Is there enough room to cap all of those pots with Davies knobs?
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

The story you are about to hear is true.

Blingley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Blingley » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:46 am

:hyper: Wow. :hyper:
mritenburg wrote:Is there enough room to cap all of those pots with Davies knobs?
This is critical info.

fwheel
Common Wiggler

Post by fwheel » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:08 am

So how does this module work?

ARC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ARC » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:12 pm

fwheel wrote:So how does this module work?
Manual and demo video coming soon! Will update when they go live. In the meantime you can read the original Serge DOCS such as the Gold Book. The info on the original TKB holds true for the ARC eurorack version as the modules are functionally identical.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:17 pm

OMG dream come true

RadioTelefonik
Common Wiggler

Post by RadioTelefonik » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:37 pm

I was just wondering last night if anybody had made one of these for Euro! Nicely done!

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:43 am

This is awesome. Wish I could afford one right off. Can't wait to see the video.

Is the key voltage output scalable? Is the sensitivity similar to Pressure Points?

Link to Serge TKB pdf Ar.c mentioned.

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MechaSeb » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Are you paying any royalties to Serge for these eurorack adatation ?
If yes, count me in.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:45 pm

MechaSeb wrote:Are you paying any royalties to Serge for these eurorack adatation ?
If yes, count me in.
Theres actualy a serge logo on it, so I’m sure serge himself is involved.

Would like to know if ‘serge’ style knobs will fix on this. Mini pots are no fun for dialing in pitches. Even just on 1 or 2 alternating rows would help.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

ARC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ARC » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm

sackley wrote:Is the key voltage output scalable? Is the sensitivity similar to Pressure Points?
It is fixed, 0-5V spread across the 16 pads - so steps of approx .3V
I haven't used a Pressure Points, so can't compare. In the demo video I use the keyboard with nitrile gloves on, which kind of surprised me, but the touch sense can also be user adjusted with a trim pot on the rear.

ARC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ARC » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:24 pm

MechaSeb wrote:Are you paying any royalties to Serge for these eurorack adatation ?
If yes, count me in.
Yes, this module, like our two previous Serge modules, was done in cooperation with Serge Tcherepnin himself. He receives royalties and provided technical assistance with the prototype. The module is functionally identical to the Serge Modular Music Systems TKB, circa 1979. We used surface mount parts where we could, and thru-hole NOS parts for the stuff that isn't available in SMT. Obviously the pots and jacks are different, but that is why the module costs less than $1K. I would highly recommend using a stacking patch cable like those available from Modular Addict in order to get the best patching experience, since the module was originally designed to use banana cables.

ARC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ARC » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:34 pm

exper wrote:Would like to know if ‘serge’ style knobs will fix on this
Davies 1900H knobs fit 6.35mm shafts, the pots we use are 6mm shaft, so I think a set screw knob would mount slightly off center. Maybe there are 1900H clones that would fit, but I am have no experience with those. There is technically clearance around each pot to fit a 12mm skirt knob, but that would leave you with very little room to manipulate the control. There are larger sequencers out there if you have ergonomic concerns (including the full size TKB from STS). We wanted to create the most compact (70hp) and affordable (under $1K) version of the TKB possible in eurorack, and using the mini shaft pots was part of that vision.

ARC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ARC » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:37 pm

I decided to split the TKB intro video into two parts. Here is the first video going over the jacks and controls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEskNxYgR0M

synthysynth
Common Wiggler

Post by synthysynth » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Nice! I like how Capricho Arabe sounds on synths!

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:07 am

ARC wrote:I decided to split the TKB intro video into two parts. Here is the first video going over the jacks and controls:
Nice, looking forward to part II.

Simple question, and without prior TKB knowledge - is the pressure output variable? It looks as though it ramps up to 5v and holds until release. Can you apply slight pressure to maintain e.g. 1v at this output? Also, the narration states it's a +/-5v output, can that be set to 0-5v at the output with a jumper?

Looks awesome regardless, good work.

ARC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ARC » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:06 pm

sackley wrote:It looks as though it ramps up to 5v and holds until release. Can you apply slight pressure to maintain e.g. 1v at this output? Also, the narration states it's a +/-5v output, can that be set to 0-5v at the output with a jumper?.
Pressure is probably a misnomer, but we decided to stick with the original Serge TKB nomenclature. It measures capacitance on the touch pads and is sensitive to amount of skin contact. The speed of the response and fall time can be adjusted to taste via a trim pot on the rear of module, but the output range is fixed. You could use a cv processor down patch if you need to shift it.

The patch examples video is taking longer to shoot and edit than expected, but I will try to get some more footage in the next demo video to illustrate the PRES out.

geecen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by geecen » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:42 pm

ARC wrote:
exper wrote:Would like to know if ‘serge’ style knobs will fix on this
Davies 1900H knobs fit 6.35mm shafts, the pots we use are 6mm shaft, so I think a set screw knob would mount slightly off center. Maybe there are 1900H clones that would fit, but I am have no experience with those. There is technically clearance around each pot to fit a 12mm skirt knob, but that would leave you with very little room to manipulate the control. There are larger sequencers out there if you have ergonomic concerns (including the full size TKB from STS). We wanted to create the most compact (70hp) and affordable (under $1K) version of the TKB possible in eurorack, and using the mini shaft pots was part of that vision.
Just to add to this: I use 6mm shaft pots from tayda with 6.35mm pots- the trick I use is to cut a short piece of drinking straw, then cut it vertically and trim so you can wrap it around without any overlap.

ARC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ARC » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 pm

Part 2 of the video, featuring some patch demos and performance ideas is now on YouTube at:
https://youtu.be/5BkFNHujGoU

RadioTelefonik
Common Wiggler

Post by RadioTelefonik » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 pm

ARC wrote:I decided to split the TKB intro video into two parts. Here is the first video going over the jacks and controls:
Beauty, thanks for this! Nice, simple explanations. How sensitive is the touch capacitance? I found the Meng Qi Voltage Memory a bit too sensitive for my tastes.

ARC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ARC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 pm

Oh my god this is exactly what I've wanted.
Now to try and save money as it gets cold and my heating bills go up exponentially.
:moneyburn:

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:42 pm

any expectations when you'll have this back in stock?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”