SSSR Labs SM010 Matrixarchate

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:11 am

rpocc wrote:
Daisuk wrote: Nice! Will the DIY build be with only through hole components, or will there be SMD as well?
It has only one SMD component, the AMS1117-5.0. It's a pretty big thing, easy to solder.
Nice, thanks. :) When will the kits be available?

razzmtazz266
Common Wiggler

Post by razzmtazz266 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:55 am

Please make a buchla version that works with alex's preset manager

Please, I beg you. The 210e cant do cv, and I bet this can. :P

rpocc
Common Wiggler

Post by rpocc » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:08 am

The DIY version is now available!
SSSR Labs — synthesizers and DIY kits from Russia
modularsynth.ru/en/ — modular synth blog
My modular system

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:04 am

rpocc wrote:The DIY version is now available!
Sweetness! :yay:

What exactly does "passive averaging of multiple modulation sources" mean? Isn't that a sort of summing?

cowboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cowboy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks rpocc, I just ordered the DIY kit!

Question: can you tell me what part numbers you used for the LED matrix / 7-segment displays? I might want to see if I can find a different color at Mouser or Digi-Key ;)

rpocc
Common Wiggler

Post by rpocc » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Daisuk wrote: Sweetness! :yay:
What exactly does "passive averaging of multiple modulation sources" mean? Isn't that a sort of summing?
Averaging means equality of input and output currents, so no additional energy is generated, so if you have two outputs with equal output resistance, having 1V and 5V, at the joint you will get 3V with the half output resistance.
The summing (with varuable number of operands) requires an inverting unity gain amp stage followed by another inverting amplifier. And with 5V and 1V you will get 6V with output resistance exactly defined by the output resisyor at the output stage.

So, the array of switches is not a matrix mixer.
cowboy wrote:Thanks rpocc, I just ordered the DIY kit!

Question: can you tell me what part numbers you used for the LED matrix / 7-segment displays? I might want to see if I can find a different color at Mouser or Digi-Key ;)
I will publish the BOM a bit later, but:
1. My parts are non-searchable well. I can't even find the direct supplier and buy them from a local distributor in Russia.
2. Using different colors you will not be able to utilize fancy red windows since they are red, but if you're interested, I can include green leds with red windows. Please send me a message to sssrlabs@sssrlabs.com with your order number ASAP.
My modular system

mDang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mDang » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:32 am

i just buy it ;)
i'm really interrest to see if there will be a teletype connection ! that would be great !
Analogeeks

mDang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mDang » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:34 am

i guess it's not possible to use a CV instead a trig to change the preset ?
I would love to use sequencer on it, but with CV...
Analogeeks

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:28 am

mDang wrote:i guess it's not possible to use a CV instead a trig to change the preset ?
I would love to use sequencer on it, but with CV...
No, don't think that's possible. Check out the wmd sequential switch matrix for that.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Got my kit yesterday and finished it today. I've only scratched the very surface of it so far, haven't really read the manual yet, but it seems to be pretty damn powerful (as expected), and quite intuitive, although I guess reading the manual is pretty handy for being able to use the setup menus and whatnot. :mrgreen:

Anyway - a pretty easy and fun build, recommend it! :)

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:15 pm

If I understand this correctly, this will not work with pitch sensitive signals but is perfectly fine for gates? (Is this the biggest difference from the WMD switch- aside from the number of inputs and outputs)

I do not understand how the programming works on this...Is it a case of just a single CV trigger in to switch scenes or can more complex programming be done?

I'm also wondering where this sits in relation to the Barton BMC39 beyond I/Os?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:If I understand this correctly, this will not work with pitch sensitive signals but is perfectly fine for gates? (Is this the biggest difference from the WMD switch- aside from the number of inputs and outputs)

I do not understand how the programming works on this...Is it a case of just a single CV trigger in to switch scenes or can more complex programming be done?

I'm also wondering where this sits in relation to the Barton BMC39 beyond I/Os?
Yeah, you can only sequence it with triggers - but you can set the sequence to various directions, and also randomize, so that gives it some flexibility.

Also, I think Dimitry will add a "random fill in matrix" button combo, which will be fucking awesome. :mrgreen:

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Seeing as I'll keep my Ryo paths, I think I may opt for the smaller Barton BMC45.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Chickenbone » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:49 pm

I just built mine and it's pretty sweet so far. How do I know if I have the right firmware? I just bought the kit yesterday so is my kit up to date?
If you ever come to a fork in the road, pick it up.
Modular Grid
SoundCloud

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Chickenbone wrote:I just built mine and it's pretty sweet so far. How do I know if I have the right firmware? I just bought the kit yesterday so is my kit up to date?
All the kits shipped with the 1.0 firmware, so you should update to 1.1. :)

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Chickenbone » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:08 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Chickenbone wrote:I just built mine and it's pretty sweet so far. How do I know if I have the right firmware? I just bought the kit yesterday so is my kit up to date?
All the kits shipped with the 1.0 firmware, so you should update to 1.1. :)
Thanks I'm gonna have to get that done!
Modular Grid
SoundCloud

rpocc
Common Wiggler

Firmware version 1.2

Post by rpocc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Heads up!

At first, my apologies for initially raw firmware as version 1.0 contains critical errors in sequencing and Firmware 1.1 contain a stupid error making graphically assisted mode unusable.

All DIY kits are shipped with version 1.0
All retail modules are shipped with most recent firmware according to the firmware release date.

The latest stable firmware version is 1.2, it is available at SSSR Labs website.

Version 1.2 has all bugs fixed and also it supports basic I2C control and it's already compatible with Monome Teletype!

To enable Teletype support you need to upgrade the latter to the version 2.3b1 or later.
Daisuk wrote:Also, I think Dimitry will add a "random fill in matrix" button combo, which will be fucking awesome. :mrgreen:
Hi man. Yes, this function is also added and is called with f2+NEXT combo.
Also, I'm Dmitry, not Dimitry. Dimitry is the ancient, "Greeky" version of the modern male name.
My modular system

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Yeah, sorry about the name, I have since learned it's Dmitry. :) Can't wait to try the random function! Will open this thing wide open!

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:30 pm

My Kit is on its way :banana:

I'd like to replace the displays, and need to order some parts.

Is the 8x8 Matrix a common Anode type? 31mm x 31mm? and the 7 segment display type and dimension?

I'd like to use Blue square LED matrix for a nice purple finish behind the red glass. Have you tried this?

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Chickenbone » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Hey I'm really slow to the party, but as I'm still running firmware version 1.0 can anyone confirm that the firmware doesn't accept reset triggers? Just asking to see if it's the firmware and not the hardware before I start taking it apart.
Modular Grid
SoundCloud

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resynthesize » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Just finished my DIY build. Everything works except that the unit will occasionally lock up when manually pressing next/prev repeatedly. When this happens, the 7 segment bottom led goes dark and the main led lights up the bottom half of column B. Rebooting fixes it and it doesn't seem to happen when using CV to cycle through presets.

I'm on firmware 1.0 still (ISP programmer in the mail) but I was wondering if this is a firmware or build issue, and what to check if its a build problem!

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:26 am

resynthesize wrote:Just finished my DIY build. Everything works except that the unit will occasionally lock up when manually pressing next/prev repeatedly. When this happens, the 7 segment bottom led goes dark and the main led lights up the bottom half of column B. Rebooting fixes it and it doesn't seem to happen when using CV to cycle through presets.

I'm on firmware 1.0 still (ISP programmer in the mail) but I was wondering if this is a firmware or build issue, and what to check if its a build problem!
This happened to my DIY build as well. I tried updating firmware, reflowing solder, cleaning the board, checking all components, but in the end I had to send it back to sssr. Turned out it was a faulty PCB. Maybe that's your issue as well?

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 am

My kit arrived nice and safe, all the way from Russia :nana:

It's really nicely packaged, and even the resistors are labelled.

I'm waiting on some different coloured Leds and 7seg displays to arrive before i start the build.

Definitely looking forward to this :cloud:

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Chickenbone » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:44 pm

Am I doing something wrong? after I run the program to update the firmware the AVRDude GUI tells me:
'avrdudeGUI.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
I followed all the steps but I am a newbie at anything firmware oriented. Ive never used an ISP device before and I swear I have done everything the right way. Now I have a non functional module and its makes mes sads...
Modular Grid
SoundCloud

rpocc
Common Wiggler

Post by rpocc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:09 am

Chickenbone wrote:Am I doing something wrong? after I run the program to update the firmware the AVRDude GUI tells me:
'avrdudeGUI.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
I followed all the steps but I am a newbie at anything firmware oriented. Ive never used an ISP device before and I swear I have done everything the right way. Now I have a non functional module and its makes mes sads...
Please describe more specifically what module is doing now. Ptobably it may show you all LEDs on in thd operational mode and it means that you have not updated the fuse EESAVE, keeping the data stored in the EEPROM during program update. In this case, please update fuses using your programming software with values thag you can find on the Version 1.2/1.1 update page. Then find the Default EEPROM hex file on the support page and program it to the EEPROM area. This will return the module to its default state. Tbis operation needs to be done just once, during update from the version 1.0
My modular system

Return to “Eurorack Modules”