SSSR Labs SM010 Matrixarchate

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

User avatar
Joe.
Wired for sound
Posts: 5130
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:58 pm

Post by Joe. » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 am

:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud:
:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud:
:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud:
:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud:

It's a Cloud Matrix :banana:
Last edited by Joe. on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpocc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Mytischi, Russia

Post by rpocc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:49 am

Done.
SSSR Labs — synthesizers and DIY kits from Russia
modularsynth.ru/en/ — modular synth blog
My modular system

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:17 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Post by Chickenbone » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:10 pm

rpocc wrote:
Chickenbone wrote:Am I doing something wrong? after I run the program to update the firmware the AVRDude GUI tells me:
'avrdudeGUI.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
I followed all the steps but I am a newbie at anything firmware oriented. Ive never used an ISP device before and I swear I have done everything the right way. Now I have a non functional module and its makes mes sads...
Please describe more specifically what module is doing now. Ptobably it may show you all LEDs on in thd operational mode and it means that you have not updated the fuse EESAVE, keeping the data stored in the EEPROM during program update. In this case, please update fuses using your programming software with values thag you can find on the Version 1.2/1.1 update page. Then find the Default EEPROM hex file on the support page and program it to the EEPROM area. This will return the module to its default state. Tbis operation needs to be done just once, during update from the version 1.0
After writing lfuse and hfuse efuse gives a warning:
Verification error first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0xff != 0x07
Verification error content mismatch
This is what happened when I tried to set efuse.

You had it right, I got all the lights on.
If you ever come to a fork in the road, pick it up.
Modular Grid
SoundCloud

User avatar
rpocc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Mytischi, Russia

Post by rpocc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:15 am

Chickenbone wrote:
rpocc wrote:
Chickenbone wrote:Am I doing something wrong? after I run the program to update the firmware the AVRDude GUI tells me:
'avrdudeGUI.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
I followed all the steps but I am a newbie at anything firmware oriented. Ive never used an ISP device before and I swear I have done everything the right way. Now I have a non functional module and its makes mes sads...
Please describe more specifically what module is doing now. Ptobably it may show you all LEDs on in thd operational mode and it means that you have not updated the fuse EESAVE, keeping the data stored in the EEPROM during program update. In this case, please update fuses using your programming software with values thag you can find on the Version 1.2/1.1 update page. Then find the Default EEPROM hex file on the support page and program it to the EEPROM area. This will return the module to its default state. Tbis operation needs to be done just once, during update from the version 1.0
After writing lfuse and hfuse efuse gives a warning:
Verification error first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0xff != 0x07
Verification error content mismatch
This is what happened when I tried to set efuse.

You had it right, I got all the lights on.
It seems like your programming software is attempting to program connected chip, but something is preventing it from completing. Try to set a lower baud rate.
SSSR Labs — synthesizers and DIY kits from Russia
modularsynth.ru/en/ — modular synth blog
My modular system

User avatar
rpocc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Mytischi, Russia

Post by rpocc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:07 pm

:bang: :bang: :bang: IMPORTANT! A kind of public statement to Matrixarchate users! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Dear Matrixarchate users!

After investigating reports about unsuccessful builds of the Matrixarchate, I have realized that my new PCB supplier has made 10-15% of PCBs with a factory defect causing SERIOUS problems with the MCU clocking. Although I can personally control and test every retail unit, repair defective boards and recycle some components, etc, not every DIY builder is able to do it and normally, a user must not be bothered with modifying a full DIY kit just to get it to work. (what although, rarely happens on Eurorack DIY market).

I'm at the point when I can't determine the scale of the problem because usually people don't write me with successful use reports but write with problems.

There are totally 20-25 retail units and 20-25 DIY kits released with the PCB version 1.0.

Also, I admit that the 1.0 firmware has a number of non-working features and bugs (like clock reset input and editing a program just copied from another). This is why I already have released two later versions, which were tested more deeply.

So, the issue with this first run is complex, and as a person responsible for supervising manufacturing process I'm so sorry for those defective boards.

If you report an issue with Matrixarchate module (DIY and retail) I will help everyone with firmware updating process and hardware modifications to bring defective modules to work.
Eventually, I can send replacement control boards or updated chips to everyone who will not be able to eliminate problems under my guidance.

So, please, write me right here, or to sssrlabs@sssrlabs.com about your experience with building and using the module: successful and unsuccessful.

I also need few statistical data:
1. Your country
2. Your AVR programmer (if you have)
3. Used firmware version. (all DIY kits are supplied with 1.0, all retail shipped after Dec-06-2017 are updated to 1.1, and all retail shipped after Jan-22 are updated to 1.2)
4. Type of your unit (retail, purchased on my website, or a DIY kit).

Of course, the next run will be made at the different factory with more expensive PCBs and with more strict control over the manufacturing process and test builds/retail modules.

I'm looking forward to your understanding of the situation. Designing a commercial stuff from scratch and providing support is a quite tricky thing to do being a one-man company.
SSSR Labs — synthesizers and DIY kits from Russia
modularsynth.ru/en/ — modular synth blog
My modular system

User avatar
Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:48 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Post by Faustgeist » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 am

Hello,

I just purchased this DIY kit from Modular Addict. (March 7th, 2018)

Should I build the kit and see if I have issues? Or should I send you hi-res pics of the PCB - so that you can alert me if mine is a damaged kit?

Or...?

Thank you,
~Robin
Seeking the esoteric and funky in 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

User avatar
rpocc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Mytischi, Russia

Post by rpocc » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:09 am

Faustgeist wrote:Hello,

I just purchased this DIY kit from Modular Addict. (March 7th, 2018)

Should I build the kit and see if I have issues? Or should I send you hi-res pics of the PCB - so that you can alert me if mine is a damaged kit?

Or...?

Thank you,
~Robin
Hi Robin,
no, the problem is very subtle and it may be somehow connected with micro-width of some particular tracks and probably, the density of mask between them, so it's practically impossible to tell the OK PCB from a not OK. Also, it may depend on particular 20MHz crystal and, probably, bypass capacitors around it (18p). But I already found two different ways to solve the problem most of the time, so don't worry and build it accurately (don't forget to use rosin-based flux, and wash it fine using an alcohol. Please do not use activated flux.) If there will be issues, don't hesitate to write me on sssrlabs@sssrlabs.com.
SSSR Labs — synthesizers and DIY kits from Russia
modularsynth.ru/en/ — modular synth blog
My modular system

User avatar
Joe.
Wired for sound
Posts: 5130
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:58 pm

Post by Joe. » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:18 am

Cheers for the help rpocc :party:

Image

User avatar
rpocc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Mytischi, Russia

Post by rpocc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:53 am

Wow! That's a cool LED matrix! You have ised uour own filtering window?
SSSR Labs — synthesizers and DIY kits from Russia
modularsynth.ru/en/ — modular synth blog
My modular system

User avatar
Joe.
Wired for sound
Posts: 5130
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:58 pm

Post by Joe. » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:59 am

I used a 'Spray on mirror' product. Your red lenses turned the Blue LEDs i used a very nice purple.

Image

User avatar
rpocc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Mytischi, Russia

Post by rpocc » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:35 am

New information about the defective Matrixarchate kits.

The kit can be considered defective if:
1. You have built it correctly, following the assembly manual instructions and recommendations.
2. You have cleaned the flux from the PCB. Do not underestimate this operations, it's important when you build any DIY kit not only from technical point of view, but also from an aestethical.
3. Your unit doesn't lit up after powering on or it's all-red including the program display.

The reason is the bad clocking of the ATMEA328.

Possible solutions:
1. Replace the crystal resonator to another, bought from a trustful supplier.
Some tests have shown that certain crystals cannot keep stable 20 MHz frequency under some circumstances. This is the main reason why there are defective kits.

2. If possible, update the chip's Low Fuse with the value F2, which disconnects it from the external Crystal and clocks it from the internal 8MHz calibrated RC oscillator. Remove crystal and 18p caps. The module will operate as normal but a bit slower.

3. In the worst case (if previous two methods do not work) you need to scratch off all tracks and ground plane around pins 9 and 10 (XTAL1/2) of the IC3 and piggytail components this way:
* Solder the crystal between pins 9 and 10.
* solder the 18p capacitors between pins 8 and 9, and between pins 8 and 10. This will minimize effect of the parasite cpacity and minimize resistance between xtal inputs and crystal resonator.
SSSR Labs — synthesizers and DIY kits from Russia
modularsynth.ru/en/ — modular synth blog
My modular system

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4269
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:35 am

I'd just like to say that I really like this module, and that Dmitry is a top guy, and I wouldn't think twice about buying this module! It's really excellent, great to use, opens up a lot of possibilities. I highly recommend it. :)

RussiaZero23
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 am
Location: Clearwater ID 83552

Post by RussiaZero23 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:09 am

Is this a Known Issue or has it been fixed with the current crop available now?

This was a link that was posted here https://www.sssrlabs.com/store/sm010/ and Directed me to The Teletype web discussion. i would like to buy one this month if the current Retail Versions are free from hardware bugs and software bugs (software can be upgraded but I do not have the equipment to do so). Any insight or help to shed light to this would be great. I belive this module has great potential.

--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
https://llllllll.co/t/sssr-labs-sm010-a ... e/10951/11
scanner_darkly
Feb 26 2018

heads up - if anybody is considering getting matrixarchate it might be a good idea to hold off for now. there are some hardware issues that need to be resolved first (teletype integration works, the issues are related to matrix operation itself).
sssrlabs posted some info in their MW thread, i would check there or contact them to confirm if the issues have been resolved before ordering.
there were 2 issues i found:
• if nothing is connected to input 13 but row 13 is connected to other inputs via the matrix it will bring their voltage down to zero
• if +9.9V or higher voltage is applied to an input it will generate significant clock noise (over 0.5V) on unconnected outputs
--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

RussiaZero23
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 am
Location: Clearwater ID 83552

Post by RussiaZero23 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Well So far the Maker has given me much confidence and has address many of my concerns.

Lets see when it arrives.

User avatar
rpocc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Mytischi, Russia

Messe Frankfurt invitation

Post by rpocc » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:51 am

Dear SSSR Labs users from Europe!

If you're going to visit Musikmesse Frankfurt, take your Kotelnikov or Matrixarchate modules to get a FREE upgrade to the latest firmware version with audio bootloader! Valid for all units: retail and DIY builds.

Stand 4.1 E61 (S-Group LLC)
SSSR Labs — synthesizers and DIY kits from Russia
modularsynth.ru/en/ — modular synth blog
My modular system

User avatar
eewee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: Belgium, close to Brussels

Post by eewee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi there,

just built a kit from Thonk, and it all seems to work fine, except for the reset input (PCB 1.1 and FW v1.2, btw). Is that a known thing (I read it was a bug in the older versions, not sure if it was fixed along the way)?

Many thanks for any info!
Why, say she now, is I not glean that one may say of thing while thing is not.
(Alan Moore, Voice of the Fire)

User avatar
omote
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 11:33 am
Location: Perth

Post by omote » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:12 pm

eewee wrote: just built a kit from Thonk, and it all seems to work fine, except for the reset input (PCB 1.1 and FW v1.2, btw). Is that a known thing (I read it was a bug in the older versions, not sure if it was fixed along the way)?
Ahh I just ordered the last remaining kit from Thonk.
They confirmed it was a v1.1 PCB, so I thought there'd be no issues.
Hopefully it's not a hardware thing.

Also, is there any more info on Teletype integration with the SM010?

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2346
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:44 pm

When I contacted SSSR about the known issues, to find out if they were sorted out, this is the response I got:

"Most of operation issues were with DIY kits which was equipped with wrong combination of PCB, quartz crystals and bypass capacitors. All retail modules are tested and guaranteed to work as intedned.
But also, there is known issues with this modules, which are based on the key component: matrix switch IC:
1. Input 13 has internal relatively low resistance to ground, which lead to muting outputs connected with it when there's no another signal connected to this input (via even lower output resistance, e.g. standard 1K). This is confirmed, the effect is common for all used IC and it's actually can be rather used as a useful feature, as Input 13 reduces output noise on bypassed outputs.
2. Effective voltage range is about from -5.7 to +9.7 Volts. If any signal exceeding this range is applied, it will bias the switch, causing kind of heavy cross-talk to all outputs. This restriction cannot be avoided because 16v is absolute maximum voltage difference between V+ and V- for this IC, so +10/-6 V is already highest possible sweep allowing this switch to work bi-directly, without input-output buffering.
3. Working LED matrix display cause some amount of digital noise bleeding to the signal. It's avoidable by entering the "silent" mode described in the manual, but unfortunately, the current design not allows to avoid that completely, otherwise design could be completely different, so this matrix is mostly recommended for connecting CV to analogue voltage controlled modules."

User avatar
omote
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 11:33 am
Location: Perth

Post by omote » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:41 pm

cackland wrote:When I contacted SSSR about the known issues, to find out if they were sorted out, this is the response I got:

"Most of operation issues were with DIY kits which was equipped with wrong combination of PCB, quartz crystals and bypass capacitors. All retail modules are tested and guaranteed to work as intedned.
But also, there is known issues with this modules, which are based on the key component: matrix switch IC:
1. Input 13 has internal relatively low resistance to ground, which lead to muting outputs connected with it when there's no another signal connected to this input (via even lower output resistance, e.g. standard 1K). This is confirmed, the effect is common for all used IC and it's actually can be rather used as a useful feature, as Input 13 reduces output noise on bypassed outputs.
2. Effective voltage range is about from -5.7 to +9.7 Volts. If any signal exceeding this range is applied, it will bias the switch, causing kind of heavy cross-talk to all outputs. This restriction cannot be avoided because 16v is absolute maximum voltage difference between V+ and V- for this IC, so +10/-6 V is already highest possible sweep allowing this switch to work bi-directly, without input-output buffering.
3. Working LED matrix display cause some amount of digital noise bleeding to the signal. It's avoidable by entering the "silent" mode described in the manual, but unfortunately, the current design not allows to avoid that completely, otherwise design could be completely different, so this matrix is mostly recommended for connecting CV to analogue voltage controlled modules."
Thanks for the info!
So I'm assuming these issues are common for all PCB versions regardless of whether they're DIY or retail?

I guess it'll be a case of build it and see. :despair:
Although I kind of wish I'd done a little more research before buying the kit

User avatar
eewee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: Belgium, close to Brussels

Post by eewee » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:45 am

I got a reply from SSSR about the reset input - it was my misunderstanding about how it's supposed to work: RESET is like an arm input, that will make the next clock input reset the cycle. He mentioned he was going to update the manual.
Why, say she now, is I not glean that one may say of thing while thing is not.
(Alan Moore, Voice of the Fire)

Fwestivus
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:10 am

Post by Fwestivus » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:50 am

I've just been troubleshooting my build of one of these (v1.1 pcb) which had a bunch of things shorting to ground - It turned out there was a problem with the board itself - behind IC4 a line was running through a set of traces. Noe I've cut the links between them everything works, so that's something to look out for, though most likely this was just an unlucky one-off.
I've added a picture of where the big short was Image

User avatar
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:13 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Post by j450nn014n » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Sorry to hear about everyone's problems, but thanks for posting them. I struggled with this joker for a long time, and then put it aside while I learned more about trouble shooting. Got back into it today, and now I'm checking out my build and troubleshooting problems I've have. Have at least confirmed that the worst problems were user error, now I can get into the dirt of it.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.

MatthewMuff
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Post by MatthewMuff » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:43 am

The SSSR Labs SM010 Matrixarchate is out of stock everywhere I looked, prebuilt or DIY kit, including at SSSR Labs' own site.

Where can I buy one?

User avatar
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:13 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Post by j450nn014n » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:49 am

MatthewMuff wrote:The SSSR Labs SM010 Matrixarchate is out of stock everywhere I looked, prebuilt or DIY kit, including at SSSR Labs' own site.

Where can I buy one?
Perfect Circuit says they'll have more soon, so perhaps that's why they're out of stock... new stock incoming? https://www.perfectcircuit.com/sssr-lab ... chate.html
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 11206
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:03 am

Did the Summing option which was planned for 2018 ever see the light of day? :hmm:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”