Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?!

Post by insoul8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:13 am

I always end up getting the free shipping option but it takes like 2 weeks to arrive. So ridiculous. The next option is expedited / 2 day which was something like $70! $70 for tiny ass modules! That’s insane. Amazon is free shipping and almost always arrives within two days. And I don’t have prime. I know I just need to shop elsewhere (somewhere on the east coast perhaps) but perfect circuit always has coupons! Caaaaannnnt resist a fewwww dollars offff...

/end rant

User avatar
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2039
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Post by Pighood » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:24 am

Can't complain....just bought my first module from them last week....XAOC Belgrad....it was $55 off and shipped free. Got it in 3 days from ordering...and I'm on the other side of the country.
*phnert*

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Post by insoul8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:32 am

Pighood wrote:Can't complain....just bought my first module from them last week....XAOC Belgrad....it was $55 off and shipped free. Got it in 3 days from ordering...and I'm on the other side of the country.
Weird. So am I. I order from them a lot and literally never get my order in under 7-10 days. Usually longer. Cant complain about their actual prices though. Always keeps me coming back.

User avatar
keyofsalvador
Common Wiggler
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:56 pm
Location: Nashville

Post by keyofsalvador » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:35 am

Well, Amazon is so huge and has distribution warehouses all over the place, that it’s hard for a local shop like Perfect Circuit to compete. For me, I’d much rather wait 2 weeks and support one of the few synth shops out there than give yet more money to Amazon, who wouldn’t even notice if they went out of business. Here’s to the little guys! :guinness:

dinosaurs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:41 pm
Location: yes

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?

Post by dinosaurs » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:38 am

insoul8 wrote:I always end up getting the free shipping option but it takes like 2 weeks to arrive. So ridiculous. The next option is expedited / 2 day which was something like $70! $70 for tiny ass modules! That’s insane. Amazon is free shipping and almost always arrives within two days. And I don’t have prime. I know I just need to shop elsewhere (somewhere on the east coast perhaps) but perfect circuit always has coupons! Caaaaannnnt resist a fewwww dollars offff...

/end rant
protip:


detroit modular will likely match any price PC offers and will not only offer free shipping, but you'll probably get your module within 2 days of placing your order.

DM is, imo, the cream of the crop in euro dealers. big ups.

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Post by insoul8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:42 am

keyofsalvador wrote:Well, Amazon is so huge and has distribution warehouses all over the place, that it’s hard for a local shop like Perfect Circuit to compete. For me, I’d much rather wait 2 weeks and support one of the few synth shops out there than give yet more money to Amazon, who wouldn’t even notice if they went out of business. Here’s to the little guys! :guinness:
Yea, I wholeheartedly agree. In this day and age, waiting even 10 days for something is pretty ridiculous. I mean, I just shipped something to California for $15 and it got there in 3. My original gripe was why on earth was it so much more to get the better shipping. I mean, Ive shipped equipment to Europe for the price they are quoting me on 2 day.

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?

Post by insoul8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:43 am

dinosaurs wrote:
insoul8 wrote:I always end up getting the free shipping option but it takes like 2 weeks to arrive. So ridiculous. The next option is expedited / 2 day which was something like $70! $70 for tiny ass modules! That’s insane. Amazon is free shipping and almost always arrives within two days. And I don’t have prime. I know I just need to shop elsewhere (somewhere on the east coast perhaps) but perfect circuit always has coupons! Caaaaannnnt resist a fewwww dollars offff...

/end rant
protip:


detroit modular will likely match any price PC offers and will not only offer free shipping, but you'll probably get your module within 2 days of placing your order.

DM is, imo, the cream of the crop in euro dealers. big ups.
Thanks. I’ll definitely keep that in mind next time.

User avatar
base615
Common Wiggler
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:12 am
Location: Sydney

Post by base615 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:15 am

insoul8 wrote:
keyofsalvador wrote:Well, Amazon is so huge and has distribution warehouses all over the place, that it’s hard for a local shop like Perfect Circuit to compete. For me, I’d much rather wait 2 weeks and support one of the few synth shops out there than give yet more money to Amazon, who wouldn’t even notice if they went out of business. Here’s to the little guys! :guinness:
Yea, I wholeheartedly agree. In this day and age, waiting even 10 days for something is pretty ridiculous. I mean, I just shipped something to California for $15 and it got there in 3. My original gripe was why on earth was it so much more to get the better shipping. I mean, Ive shipped equipment to Europe for the price they are quoting me on 2 day.
It generally takes my PCA orders 3 days to get from California to me in Australia. Usually costs me about $40 which is pretty reasonable compared to the rip-off pricing most retailers try to charge us.

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Post by insoul8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:33 am

base615 wrote:
insoul8 wrote:
keyofsalvador wrote:Well, Amazon is so huge and has distribution warehouses all over the place, that it’s hard for a local shop like Perfect Circuit to compete. For me, I’d much rather wait 2 weeks and support one of the few synth shops out there than give yet more money to Amazon, who wouldn’t even notice if they went out of business. Here’s to the little guys! :guinness:
Yea, I wholeheartedly agree. In this day and age, waiting even 10 days for something is pretty ridiculous. I mean, I just shipped something to California for $15 and it got there in 3. My original gripe was why on earth was it so much more to get the better shipping. I mean, Ive shipped equipment to Europe for the price they are quoting me on 2 day.
It generally takes my PCA orders 3 days to get from California to me in Australia. Usually costs me about $40 which is pretty reasonable compared to the rip-off pricing most retailers try to charge us.
lol this is making me even more angry. I am on the east coast so 3 days would be totally great. It's never happened though.

And even the 3 day shipping price is apparently more for me to get something to DC vs Australia?!

kylverstone
Common Wiggler
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:02 pm
Location: TN

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?

Post by kylverstone » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 am

dinosaurs wrote:
protip:


detroit modular will likely match any price PC offers and will not only offer free shipping, but you'll probably get your module within 2 days of placing your order.

DM is, imo, the cream of the crop in euro dealers. big ups.
Confirmed! I messaged DM friday evening to see if they could price match PCA's sale price on a Varigate 8. Got a positive reply 11:00 PM that night, shipped Saturday morning, and with me yesterday lunchtime (free shipping).

User avatar
js213
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:08 pm
Location: mn.usa

Post by js213 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 am

From my experience, it has a lot to do with how they ship. If it ships UPS, it tends to take longer. Also, I find that any time I get a module from California it takes longer than from other locations. I usually buy from Control first, due to the customer service and shipping times. That said, I have bought plenty of modules from PCA. In fact, I just got modules from both places yesterday; ordered from both on the same day and received on the same day. Both shipped USPS.

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?

Post by insoul8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 am

kylverstone wrote:
dinosaurs wrote:
protip:


detroit modular will likely match any price PC offers and will not only offer free shipping, but you'll probably get your module within 2 days of placing your order.

DM is, imo, the cream of the crop in euro dealers. big ups.
Confirmed! I messaged DM friday evening to see if they could price match PCA's sale price on a Varigate 8. Got a positive reply 11:00 PM that night, shipped Saturday morning, and with me yesterday lunchtime (free shipping).
Thanks for the info. I almost feel like i should just cancel an existing order i have with pca that still hasn't even shipped despite the items being in stock and "ready for immediate delivery".

chysn
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 10:04 pm
Location: SE Michigan USA

Post by chysn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am

If you really need something from Perfect Circuit, their shipping on ebay is less than on their actual website, and my experience is that it ships faster.

But Detroit Modular is my go-to place. I get my orders next-day if I order before like 4PM.
Current Rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/354385
Hemisphere Suite: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki

"Man must shape his tools lest they shape him." --Arthur Miller

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Post by insoul8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:47 am

chysn wrote:If you really need something from Perfect Circuit, their shipping on ebay is less than on their actual website, and my experience is that it ships faster.

But Detroit Modular is my go-to place. I get my orders next-day if I order before like 4PM.
Wow, that's great. Sounds like DM is the way to go. They will definitely get my business in the future. Thanks.

User avatar
Astrolabe23
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 457
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:55 pm
Location: South Carolina

Post by Astrolabe23 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:53 am

Depending on the carrier, it can sometimes be a different price based on if you have a residential or a business address. Also, You can always contact a store and ask for a better shipping deal. Most places want your business and will work with you to make a sale.

User avatar
nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:40 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Post by nolongerhuman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:55 am

Why can't you have something both cheap and immediately? Ha. This is the first thought that came to mind:



Image

User avatar
Richie Witch
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: In the path of Hurricane Irma

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:01 am

Long-time PCA customer here, located in Florida, but stopped by their shop last Christmas when I was in LA. The shop is a synth-head's dream, as they have pretty much every synthesizer in current production on display, connected, and ready to be played. And I mean everything. The flagship Guitar Center store in Hollywood has a quarter of the instruments that PCA has in their one-room showroom.

There are several tables full of small modular and semi-modular systems, with piles of patch cables and headphones. When I was in there, there were a half dozen of us auditioning different gear and having a good time.

As for purchasing, I have noticed that it definitely takes longer to get something from them than it used to. My last purchase sat in the store for four days with a shipping label on it. It wasn't always like that. I used to get my gear from them in three or four days.

Buying from them via eBay helps because eBay gives them a time limit to get it in the mail (this is true of all sellers).

I'm hoping this is a temporary blip in their otherwise great service. Maybe they're just victims of their own success and haven't staffed up to meet their growing popularity.

I've bought from DM as well, and agree they have always provided great service.
Every new row of Eurorack is going to be my last.

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Post by insoul8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:26 am

Richie Witch wrote:Long-time PCA customer here, located in Florida, but stopped by their shop last Christmas when I was in LA. The shop is a synth-head's dream, as they have pretty much every synthesizer in current production on display, connected, and ready to be played. And I mean everything. The flagship Guitar Center store in Hollywood has a quarter of the instruments that PCA has in their one-room showroom.

There are several tables full of small modular and semi-modular systems, with piles of patch cables and headphones. When I was in there, there were a half dozen of us auditioning different gear and having a good time.

As for purchasing, I have noticed that it definitely takes longer to get something from them than it used to. My last purchase sat in the store for four days with a shipping label on it. It wasn't always like that. I used to get my gear from them in three or four days.

Buying from them via eBay helps because eBay gives them a time limit to get it in the mail (this is true of all sellers).

I'm hoping this is a temporary blip in their otherwise great service. Maybe they're just victims of their own success and haven't staffed up to meet their growing popularity.

I've bought from DM as well, and agree they have always provided great service.
You are probably right about them being victims of their own success. And it is a bit ridiculous for me to be bitching about free shipping taking too long but i guess we have come to expect things faster and cheaper in this day and age. Perhaps next time I will inquire with them if the additional shipping charges seem out of whack as I would have happily paid an extra $20 to get stuff here in 2 days.

User avatar
nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:40 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Post by nolongerhuman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:43 am

I shop with PCA quite a bit, same with Detroit Modular.

The problem is shipping modules is only somewhat inexpensive via USPS.

Fedex and UPS will both start in the $15.00 range, and actually take longer than USPS, unless you go with the 2 day options which are closer to $30.00.

So, for USPS you have First Class, and Priority. Usually PCA ships anything over $200 via Priority. The next step up for USPS is Express, which usually starts around $23.95.

That explains the jump in price.

As for why they take a couple of days longer than some other places... it's likely because they do a lot more volume, because all of us are trying to save money, and PCA is often cheaper than everywhere else (not always, but often) I agree that it would be nice if they turned orders around faster, but I have saved hundreds with them and I don't think an extra 2 days is unreasonable. I mean, it's not an organ transplant.

It just seems odd to me to want it cheaper, faster. I mean... that mentality is why we have so damn many McDonalds in the world. These places aren't Guitar Centers with massive shipping hubs dotted all over the country.

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Post by insoul8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:50 am

nolongerhuman wrote:I shop with PCA quite a bit, same with Detroit Modular.

The problem is shipping modules is only somewhat inexpensive via USPS.

Fedex and UPS will both start in the $15.00 range, and actually take longer than USPS, unless you go with the 2 day options which are closer to $30.00.

So, for USPS you have First Class, and Priority. Usually PCA ships anything over $200 via Priority. The next step up for USPS is Express, which usually starts around $23.95.

That explains the jump in price.

As for why they take a couple of days longer than some other places... it's likely because they do a lot more volume, because all of us are trying to save money, and PCA is often cheaper than everywhere else (not always, but often) I agree that it would be nice if they turned orders around faster, but I have saved hundreds with them and I don't think an extra 2 days is unreasonable. I mean, it's not an organ transplant.

It just seems odd to me to want it cheaper, faster. I mean... that mentality is why we have so damn many McDonalds in the world. These places aren't Guitar Centers with massive shipping hubs dotted all over the country.
Point taken but at the same time, I'm talking more like 2 weeks from the date of order for something in stock. I have yet to get a shipping confirmation for something I ordered last week. Sure, the holiday is going to disrupt that a bit but this is typical from my experience regardless of holidays. 3 days vs 5 days, whatever. But 14 days.. c'mon. I could drive there and back in less time. Anyway, the real point to this thread was why was 2 day shipping going to cost me an extra $70? I have shipped equipment for less to the UK.

But there is no reason to beat this dead horse further. I just had to vent a little. And I will certainly give DM a try next time I am in the market for something. Thanks guys.

User avatar
ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Post by ym2612 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:33 am

PCA's USPS shipping to me in NYC is usually free, and I get my order in two days. :despair:

User avatar
jonleebrown
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:44 pm
Location: Corvallis Oregon

Post by jonleebrown » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:12 pm

FWIW, I shop for new gear almost exclusively at PCA. It can take a little while to get a shipment out the door. But I figure they have a lot going on there. Their prices are really good, and the people there are great. I bother Ryan with all kinds of questions and requests--he's a big help as I wander through the modular landscape.

User avatar
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2518
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm
Location: ABQ,NM

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?

Post by Zymos » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:21 pm

dinosaurs wrote:
insoul8 wrote:I always end up getting the free shipping option but it takes like 2 weeks to arrive. So ridiculous. The next option is expedited / 2 day which was something like $70! $70 for tiny ass modules! That’s insane. Amazon is free shipping and almost always arrives within two days. And I don’t have prime. I know I just need to shop elsewhere (somewhere on the east coast perhaps) but perfect circuit always has coupons! Caaaaannnnt resist a fewwww dollars offff...

/end rant
protip:


detroit modular will likely match any price PC offers and will not only offer free shipping, but you'll probably get your module within 2 days of placing your order.

DM is, imo, the cream of the crop in euro dealers. big ups.
X1000!

User avatar
pricklyrobot
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:09 am
Location: Austin, Tex-ass

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Ordered several things from Perfect Citcuit in the past year or so. I’m in TX, and it seems like everything always gets here in a week or less (never long enough for me to notice or be annoyed, at any rate).

They’ve got good prices, good selection, and with the free shipping I’d be happy to wait a few extra days for something (even though that’s not been my experience).

User avatar
Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Post by Trebbers » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Yeah, always had good experiences with PCA. Almost always order from them or Control.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”