Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

User avatar
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1966
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Odyssey Island
Contact:

Post by monads » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:51 am

Love for Perfect Circuit here! They've really expanded within past couple of years and I just wish they'd keep carrying more!!! Detroit, AH, Control I also like. Wish BigCity Music would offer promotional coupon discounts as they tend to carry some exclusive product lines but don't seem to care to offer such.

User avatar
MindMachine
weekend warrior
Posts: 6849
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 am
Location: Santa Susana Field Lab

Post by MindMachine » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:17 am

monads wrote: Wish BigCity Music would offer promotional coupon discounts as they tend to carry some exclusive product lines but don't seem to care to offer such.
That will never happen.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

User avatar
WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1658
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:08 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by WaveRider » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:20 am

well they charged my visa for a module "arriving soon" 3 weeks ago.
Now I ask them to add 1 other module and ship it with the backorder (to save 48$ in shipping!) and it is too complicated... they don't want to do it

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Post by insoul8 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:28 am

MindMachine wrote:
monads wrote: Wish BigCity Music would offer promotional coupon discounts as they tend to carry some exclusive product lines but don't seem to care to offer such.
That will never happen.
Good for them. This whole perpetual coupon game is so ridiculous. Shops should just price things accordingly instead of always having a coupon you need to keep track of or one “sale” after the next.

User avatar
transferpoint
butt-hole
Posts: 753
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:48 am
Location: Portland, OR

Post by transferpoint » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:09 am

PC has been killer for me in 2019, takes 3-5 days for my order to arrive after I click submit. Probably spent $3k there in the past few months (I have a Pams new workout and uClouds arriving today :banana: from PC). The only module I'm waiting on is an ES-9, which they are re-routing to a different address as I'll be traveling.

I understand that this thread was from 2017, but to the person who resurrected the thread, in my experience they are a solid online store.

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2027
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:17 pm

WaveRider wrote:well they charged my visa for a module "arriving soon" 3 weeks ago.
Now I ask them to add 1 other module and ship it with the backorder (to save 48$ in shipping!) and it is too complicated... they don't want to do it
Thats not cool.

adaris
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: Maryland

Post by adaris » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:31 pm

WaveRider wrote:well they charged my visa for a module "arriving soon" 3 weeks ago.
Now I ask them to add 1 other module and ship it with the backorder (to save 48$ in shipping!) and it is too complicated... they don't want to do it
I'm just speculating here, so take it for what it's worth, but they may not want to do it because the "arriving soon" module may not actually be arriving any time soon (unless they've specifically assured you that it is, in which case ignore me). As I've said before, my impression is that "arriving soon" on their website is really just their default "out of stock" message.

Not trying to hate on Perfect Circuit, I've ordered lots of stuff from them and have been happy with their service, but IMO the whole "arriving soon" thing on their website is deceptive, and I don't order anything from them unless it says "in stock".

User avatar
transferpoint
butt-hole
Posts: 753
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:48 am
Location: Portland, OR

Post by transferpoint » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:15 pm

My ES-9 is "Arriving Soon" and they charged me. I'm fine with that, I'm exchanging my money for a good that I knew wasn't in stock when I clicked buy.

The ES-9 is likely to be in and out of stock for a while, so I expect my payment will hold my place in line.

I think I can understand arguments for and against charging in advance, but I'm fine with it. It's not unheard of to me.


edit: I just realized your "Thats not cool" comment was likely about them not allowing items to be packaged and shipped together. I agree with you.

User avatar
Joey P.
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:55 am
Location: Washington DC

Post by Joey P. » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:29 pm

I order a lot from PCA. I am on the right coast and it takes 2 days if shipped USPS and a week with FedEx ground. They seem to get the orders out the next day except when they are doing a big sale, where it may take an extra day.

I get that the expedited shipping options are expensive, but they do offer free regular shipping over $100, so I'm not complaining.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 6:04 pm
Location: Utah

Post by Parnelli » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:32 pm

No problems here with PCA, but I live right up the I-15 6 or 7 hours north of LA by car, so my packages generally arrive in 2 days with free shipping. It would be even faster if the packages didn't have to travel another 300 miles north to Salt Lake in order to get 300 miles back down here to me, but that's not their fault, that's the USPS route.

When I order from the east like DM or Sweetwater it takes a week or more with free shipping, hey, it's a long way across America, I've driven it many times!

User avatar
nomass
Common Wiggler
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 5:35 am
Location: DC

Post by nomass » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:40 pm

I just got a module from them that I ordered on Sunday and it arrived on Friday. That seems reasonable as I’m in a Md suburb of DC.

I typically go with Ctrl in NY if I can because it’s closer and therefore faster, but I’ve never had a problem w/ PC other than the screwy logistics of having to sign for stuff. I can't really fault them for that, however.

I will almost always go with the manufacturer that has what I want in stock when I want it.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 6:04 pm
Location: Utah

Post by Parnelli » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:44 pm

nomass wrote:... I’ve never had a problem w/ PC other than the screwy logistics of having to sign for stuff. I can't really fault them for that, however.
Now there's a problem! I live 30 miles out of town, and to take a day off just to sign for a package, well, if I did that often I couldn't afford any more packages. I was able to sign a slip with my postal carrier allowing them to leave mail in my box without a signature after they scan it.

Otherwise that would be a deal breaker for me!

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Post by insoul8 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Just to rein things back in, this thread was started specifically to comment on the ridiculous prices for anything other than the free shipping option. Free shipping was always fine if PCA could actually get the item shipped out in a timely manner though (something they seemed to have great trouble doing). But to upgrade the shipping service seemed to always cost far more than what was appropriate.
Last edited by insoul8 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2027
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:57 pm

I agree, I don't purchase anything from anyone unless its in stock, or it's a pre-order item that I know I'll probably have to wait a couple of months for it. Considering all of eurorack's pre order wait times lately.

User avatar
Joey P.
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:55 am
Location: Washington DC

Post by Joey P. » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Parnelli wrote:
Now there's a problem! I live 30 miles out of town, and to take a day off just to sign for a package, well, if I did that often I couldn't afford any more packages. I was able to sign a slip with my postal carrier allowing them to leave mail in my box without a signature after they scan it.
If you email Danny at PCA, he will send you a signature release form so they can send orders without signature required.

User avatar
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1556
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?

Post by Multi Grooves » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:33 pm

insoul8 wrote:I always end up getting the free shipping option but it takes like 2 weeks to arrive. So ridiculous. The next option is expedited / 2 day which was something like $70! $70 for tiny ass modules! That’s insane. Amazon is free shipping and almost always arrives within two days. And I don’t have prime. I know I just need to shop elsewhere (somewhere on the east coast perhaps) but perfect circuit always has coupons! Caaaaannnnt resist a fewwww dollars offff...

/end rant

There is little from Amazon's business model that I'd want to see rolled out en masse. Poor example to base any kind of argument.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

User avatar
Joey P.
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:55 am
Location: Washington DC

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?

Post by Joey P. » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:51 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:

There is little from Amazon's business model that I'd want to see rolled out en masse. Poor example to base any kind of argument.
Right....PCA doesn't have their own shipping company.

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?

Post by insoul8 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:30 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:
insoul8 wrote:I always end up getting the free shipping option but it takes like 2 weeks to arrive. So ridiculous. The next option is expedited / 2 day which was something like $70! $70 for tiny ass modules! That’s insane. Amazon is free shipping and almost always arrives within two days. And I don’t have prime. I know I just need to shop elsewhere (somewhere on the east coast perhaps) but perfect circuit always has coupons! Caaaaannnnt resist a fewwww dollars offff...

/end rant

There is little from Amazon's business model that I'd want to see rolled out en masse. Poor example to base any kind of argument.
This is from 2 years ago and they sucked at shipping. I hope they have gotten better since then as some people have suggested. I’m not quite sure why this post was resurrected to begin with though.

User avatar
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1556
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?

Post by Multi Grooves » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:17 pm

insoul8 wrote:
Multi Grooves wrote:
insoul8 wrote:I always end up getting the free shipping option but it takes like 2 weeks to arrive. So ridiculous. The next option is expedited / 2 day which was something like $70! $70 for tiny ass modules! That’s insane. Amazon is free shipping and almost always arrives within two days. And I don’t have prime. I know I just need to shop elsewhere (somewhere on the east coast perhaps) but perfect circuit always has coupons! Caaaaannnnt resist a fewwww dollars offff...

/end rant

There is little from Amazon's business model that I'd want to see rolled out en masse. Poor example to base any kind of argument.
This is from 2 years ago and they sucked at shipping. I hope they have gotten better since then as some people have suggested. I’m not quite sure why this post was resurrected to begin with though.
I'm not sure either but that doesn't negate the point..They're mostly a blight on the world and towards decency.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

User avatar
Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Post by Kingnimrod » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:25 pm

"arriving soon" has no meaning.

I've ordered things and waited for months and finally canceled orders.

The last "arriving soon" item I purchased there took 7 months to ship. This was because of the manufacturer, but PC could have been more honest about the whole "arriving soon" situation.

Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:27 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?!

Post by Eurocat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:34 pm

I’ve had a hit or miss with them but this is the last time I’ll ever use them. I ordered over 2000 dollars worth of stuff yesterday and haven’t heard back about my shipping yet? I’ve emailed them 6 times now and not even a peep out of them. I don’t want to hear about the overhyped virus it takes 2 minutes to write a simple email. Dine with Perfect Circuit!

transistorresistor
Common Wiggler
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:38 pm

Re:

Post by transistorresistor » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:13 pm

insoul8 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:28 am
Shops should just price things accordingly instead of always having a coupon you need to keep track of or one “sale” after the next.
with many (most?) manufacturers, they arent allowed to. Each manufacturer will stipulate the products MAP, Minimum Advertised Price, which is part of the resellers contract. This guarantees parity amongst your dealers and keeps the whole dealer network as happy as they are gonna be w each other. They can sell it for less, but they can't advertise it for less. If you break MAP you risk the manufacturer cancelling you as a dealer and you guarantee the ire of your fellow dealers in the network. This is the primary reason why you have the rolling sales that you see with resellers. MAP is binding for dealers.

User avatar
Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?!

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:20 pm

Eurocat wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:34 pm
I’ve had a hit or miss with them but this is the last time I’ll ever use them. I ordered over 2000 dollars worth of stuff yesterday and haven’t heard back about my shipping yet? I’ve emailed them 6 times now and not even a peep out of them. I don’t want to hear about the overhyped virus it takes 2 minutes to write a simple email. Dine with Perfect Circuit!
In my experience it usually takes 24hrs for shipping notification to go out. For instance I got a back in stock email regarding Bam Thurs, which I had an existing order for, then my shipping notification happened about 24hrs later Friday afternoon.

Email replies take longer, but I imagine they get a lot of emails.

Shipping has been fast - I'm on an Island in Maine and it will be here Mon / Tue.

User avatar
srogers
Common Wiggler
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:32 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?!

Post by srogers » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:17 pm

Eurocat wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:34 pm
I’ve had a hit or miss with them but this is the last time I’ll ever use them. I ordered over 2000 dollars worth of stuff yesterday and haven’t heard back about my shipping yet? I’ve emailed them 6 times now and not even a peep out of them. I don’t want to hear about the overhyped virus it takes 2 minutes to write a simple email. Dine with Perfect Circuit!
You emailed them six times in one day?

User avatar
mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:34 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?!

Post by mgscheue » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 pm

Eurocat wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:34 pm
I don’t want to hear about the overhyped virus it takes 2 minutes to write a simple email.
Yes. 128,000 people dead in the US but that doesn’t compare to not getting an instant response to your email.
Dine with Perfect Circuit!
They have a restaurant now, too?

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”