Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Jefro
Common Wiggler

Post by Jefro » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm in Denver and usually receive my orders from PCA within about 3 days. Never had any issues with them.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Must just be my own bad luck in recent months.

mookmoof
Common Wiggler

Post by mookmoof » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:39 pm

+1 for Perfect Circuit and Control

mattsb
Common Wiggler

Post by mattsb » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:05 pm

I ordered something from PCA at closing time on the 22nd, it shipped on the 27th (there's Turkey Day, Black Friday and a weekend in there), and it should show up here (in Canada) tomorrow, via FedEx. That's pretty decent turnaround given the amount of stuff they probably had to process after their sale. Shipping via the USPS seems to take a lot longer, and in the past it's taken longer for PCA to ship stuff.

I like DM as well (Control never seem to have what I want in stock) and their ship times are similar. I think it all depends on the shipper. I can't understand why it would take more than 2 days for anything to get from either of these folks to somewhere else in the US via FedEx.

Don't talk to me about shipping costs though :bang:

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:35 pm

On average it takes PCA about a week for free shipping to get here in NYC, which is pretty decent considering they're on the opposite coast. I usually just order from DM and Control though because they're much closer to me.
Last edited by mrerdat on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:15 am

I've done business with both PCA and DM, overall I've been satisfied with both. With PCA, my gripe is that an order can sit for up to a week before it goes out the door even when all of the items are listed as being in stock. With DM, a couple of times I've asked for e-mail notification for an item that was out of stock, never heard anything back from them even after the item was shown on the website as being back in stock.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Why are Perfect Circuit’s shipping prices so ridiculous?

Post by Multi Grooves » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:11 pm

insoul8 wrote:I always end up getting the free shipping option but it takes like 2 weeks to arrive. So ridiculous. The next option is expedited / 2 day which was something like $70! $70 for tiny ass modules! That’s insane. Amazon is free shipping and almost always arrives within two days. And I don’t have prime. I know I just need to shop elsewhere (somewhere on the east coast perhaps) but perfect circuit always has coupons! Caaaaannnnt resist a fewwww dollars offff...

/end rant

As long as you don't do a rant about tax evasion...
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

spukhaft
Common Wiggler

Post by spukhaft » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:31 pm

I just ordered Clouds from them. It would be nice if it didn't take 2 weeks. Meh. I'm just happy to get my hands on one.

savethisrocketship
Veteran Wiggler

Post by savethisrocketship » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:10 pm

For the Free shipping it seems the last year or so they ship via FedEx. For those of us on the east coast (NY specifically) it seems shipments don't leave CA until Friday's, usually. I assume this has to do with how FedEx structures their cross country shipments.

So if you order something on Monday, PCA usually ships it out within a business day, but it sits in FedEx purgatory until Friday, then it usually arrives Monday or Tuesday, hence people saying it takes a week or more to get their stuff. However if you order on a Thursday, it still often arrives on Monday or Tuesday, hence many people citing a 3 day shipping experience.

This has at least been my experience purchasing from them over the last several years. Analog Haven ships via UPS, it's not free, and generally takes a comparable amount of time. Control Voltage and Control both ship via USPS and tend to arrive pretty quickly to upstate. Detroit Modular uses some sort of black magic to deliver modules before I've clicked the order button :love:

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:10 pm

I split my ordering between Control and PCA.

Control, like me, is in NYS, so I pay sales tax. Shipping is usually free and always fast: three to fours days from order to receipt.

I use my Matrixsynth discount at PCA, saving 10%. That plus free shipping and no sales tax means they are always less expensive for me than Control. If I order from PCA on Sunday, I have product by Friday.

If Control would match the 10%, I would buy from them exclusively. PCA and Control are each fine operations. Control would have the edge based on shipping time.

(Are you listening, Control? :tu:)

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 pm

savethisrocketship wrote:For the Free shipping it seems the last year or so they ship via FedEx. For those of us on the east coast (NY specifically) it seems shipments don't leave CA until Friday's, usually. I assume this has to do with how FedEx structures their cross country shipments.

So if you order something on Monday, PCA usually ships it out within a business day, but it sits in FedEx purgatory until Friday, then it usually arrives Monday or Tuesday, hence people saying it takes a week or more to get their stuff. However if you order on a Thursday, it still often arrives on Monday or Tuesday, hence many people citing a 3 day shipping experience.

This has at least been my experience purchasing from them over the last several years. Analog Haven ships via UPS, it's not free, and generally takes a comparable amount of time. Control Voltage and Control both ship via USPS and tend to arrive pretty quickly to upstate. Detroit Modular uses some sort of black magic to deliver modules before I've clicked the order button :love:
That makes a lot of sense. I think I tend to order in the beginning of the week. And for free shipping they use fedex ground which is 4 business days yo get to me according to their delivery map. So there is the ~2 weeks give or take. I’m definitely going to be trying DM in the future.

bobdylan
Common Wiggler

Post by bobdylan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Yeah I tried to get some patch cables from them and it was $50 to ship?? I get the Canadian border can be a bitch sometimes but the patch cables themselves were $50?? What gives??? *sigh* I've moved on...

Adamalthus
Wiggling with Entangled States

Post by Adamalthus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:49 pm

Long time Control customer and have recently bought a bunch of stuff from Jason at Control Voltage and some stuff from PCA. All have been excellent to deal with but I do agree that PCA’s shipping rates seem to be on the high end and shipping times a little longer than the other two.

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resynthesize » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:02 pm

dinosaurs wrote:
protip:

detroit modular will likely match any price PC offers and will not only offer free shipping, but you'll probably get your module within 2 days of placing your order.

DM is, imo, the cream of the crop in euro dealers. big ups.
+1, Dan at Detroit modular has always treated me well. Fast shipping too.

Mikeyg3k
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mikeyg3k » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:51 am

FWIW..... I am in NYC and ordered twice from PCA and had zero issue with shipping time and the people I dealt with on the phone were awesome. I would absolutely use them again.

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:33 pm

mattsb wrote:I ordered something from PCA at closing time on the 22nd, it shipped on the 27th (there's Turkey Day, Black Friday and a weekend in there), and it should show up here (in Canada) tomorrow, via FedEx.
I also placed an order with PCA on the 22nd, all items were listed as being in stock. As of Nov 29th, I still had not received any confirmation of shipping so I called to get an update. I was told that they were backed up because of the holiday but the package was expected to ship the next day, Nov 30th. As of now, the order is still listed as being "in process" so it hasn't even made it off of the dock yet.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:41 pm

arthurdent wrote:
mattsb wrote:I ordered something from PCA at closing time on the 22nd, it shipped on the 27th (there's Turkey Day, Black Friday and a weekend in there), and it should show up here (in Canada) tomorrow, via FedEx.
I also placed an order with PCA on the 22nd, all items were listed as being in stock. As of Nov 29th, I still had not received any confirmation of shipping so I called to get an update. I was told that they were backed up because of the holiday but the package was expected to ship the next day, Nov 30th. As of now, the order is still listed as being "in process" so it hasn't even made it off of the dock yet.
Likewise. Mine was from the 21st I believe.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:41 pm

resynthesize wrote:
dinosaurs wrote:
protip:

detroit modular will likely match any price PC offers and will not only offer free shipping, but you'll probably get your module within 2 days of placing your order.

DM is, imo, the cream of the crop in euro dealers. big ups.
+1, Dan at Detroit modular has always treated me well. Fast shipping too.
Dan is the MAN. such a good dooder.

love DM. PCA has better stock on some stuff, and they seem nice enough, but if i can i'll wait for DM to get it in. i'm in Cali, so i always use a 10% coupon from PCA to offset the tax, but it takes 5-7 days for something to get here. and from LA to the Bay Area is like a 6 hour drive so.... frustrating.

DM gets loots to me from out of state 2-3 days, ALWAYS. and ships the same day where there might be a 3-4 day wait just for stuff to leave PCA.

DetMod for LIFF.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Since I'm a manufacturer, I ship direct most of the time. I have shipped all over this country and to the EU and Asia. I have seen a wide array of shipping cost. The service makes ALL the difference in the cost.

All the different shipping/mailing services have online costing sites that will estimate the cost to ship from your location to others. Just load in a weight and SEE what it cost. Almost every modules we make weighs less than a pound in the shipping box (most of ours are around 10 oz). Of ALL the services I have tried ou,t USPS is ALWAYS less than the others. Often the cost is half that of others for the cheapest options (3-6 days to Europe). Some of the alternatives like FedEx or UPS can cost more than the module cost to ship.

Also a thing to check is that many shipping services will charge the same for weights till they reach a threshold and then the price will jump. USPS often will cost the same for up to 3lb. as they do for 10oz. so get in with others and do a group buy and share the shipping cost.

In any case, if you think the seller is gouging you on shipping, note the weight when it arrives (typically written on it somewhere) and load the zip code of the seller into the online site and see how much more they added for the "handling" part of "shipping & handling".
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

exoreality
Learning to Wiggle

Post by exoreality » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:12 pm

I ordered a Mantis back in May from PCA with free shipping. Ordered it at 7:20 AM and had a tracking number at 2:30 PM. Took about six days from California to Tennessee. Not bad, that being said I prefer DM. I had ordered modules from DM at the same time. Free Shipping and received them the next day.

jtregoat
Common Wiggler

Post by jtregoat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:20 pm

ym2612 wrote:PCA's USPS shipping to me in NYC is usually free, and I get my order in two days. :despair:
I'm going to start passing my orders through you. Love PCA but my orders always sit for a while before shipping... once it's shipped, it's pretty quick though

warmtape
Common Wiggler

Post by warmtape » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:30 pm

veets wrote:I use my Matrixsynth discount at PCA, saving 10%.
what is this.. please....

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:40 pm

warmtape wrote:
veets wrote:I use my Matrixsynth discount at PCA, saving 10%.
what is this.. please....
You should be able to use THANKS10 as well.

monoscan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by monoscan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:41 pm

insoul8 wrote:I always end up getting the free shipping option but it takes like 2 weeks to arrive. So ridiculous. The next option is expedited / 2 day which was something like $70! $70 for tiny ass modules! That’s insane. Amazon is free shipping and almost always arrives within two days. And I don’t have prime. I know I just need to shop elsewhere (somewhere on the east coast perhaps) but perfect circuit always has coupons! Caaaaannnnt resist a fewwww dollars offff...

/end rant
Detroit Modular. Free shipping on any order over $100, and at least for me in Chicago, that is always two day shipping. PLUS they have a really nice point system for purchases. I buy from them almost exclusively.

fnordboy
Common Wiggler

Post by fnordboy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:44 pm

I usually only order from PCA or Control. Like someone said above Control never seems to have what I want in stock :lol:, but when I do order from control I get it super quick. I am right across the Hudson so I have ordered and received my package the next day on atleast one occasion. Usually its a 2 or 3 day max. PCA is longer but I expect that coming from CA. Of course I also will go to Three Wave since it is local.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”