New SSF Entity Release - Percussion Synthesizer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: New SSF Entity Release - Percussion Synthesizer

Post by lisa » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:53 am

tvparcable wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:30 am
Feedback wanted!
[...]
Am I getting the correct impression?
Yep, you are. BIA generally sounds rather harsh, abrasive and digital. SSF Percussion has a great woody sound and is generally quite much softer/smoother sounding.

Also, BIA is a more compact module where some parameters change halfway (for example, the attack parameter adds noise before noon and a slow attack after noon). SSF Percussion has more clear-cut parameters, though they interact quite a bit.
You go too high too early, man. The beat sounds like the a slow mudslide and the melodies that go on and on. :zen:

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:08 am

I have no idea what your metaphor at the end is supposed to mean, but I don’t agree with it at all.

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:47 am

Hello everyone. Is there a trick to buying a replacement panel from the manufacturer, or do any SSF dealers have any black Entity Percussion module panels in stock? My attempts to reach SSF this week were unsuccessful.

Thanks.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:57 am

BlinkyLights wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:47 am
Hello everyone. Is there a trick to buying a replacement panel from the manufacturer, or do any SSF dealers have any black Entity Percussion module panels in stock? My attempts to reach SSF this week were unsuccessful.

Thanks.
I’m sorry I wasn't able to get back to you.

The answer is that I do not have anymore Entity Percussion or panels.

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:43 am

analogPedagog wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:57 am
BlinkyLights wrote:

Thanks.

Oh. Damn. There won't be anymore?

Mannn, I wish things like this were more obvious. I wouldn't even have bought a silver one had I known.

Ugh. Related thread for Trade is now posted.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234871&p=3306114#p3306114

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:28 pm

BlinkyLights wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:43 am
analogPedagog wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:57 am
BlinkyLights wrote:

Thanks.

Oh. Damn. There won't be anymore?

Mannn, I wish things like this were more obvious. I wouldn't even have bought a silver one had I known.

Ugh. Related thread for Trade is now posted.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234871&p=3306114#p3306114
Was not exactly planned but the whole pandemic thing really threw a wrench in the works for me as far as production goes. Perc is not discontinued but I have to decide on getting a new run going or coming out with a redesign, altogether.

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:47 pm

Fuuuuuuck. Okay then. I'll figure something out.

Thanks for the update. Take care, I know the pandemic is giving everyone grief. Do what you must, of course.

Gambeat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Gambeat » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:44 pm

I got this and BIA and can say they are different. The only common thing between them is a lot of CV parameters to control.

Qiqi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Qiqi » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:28 pm

analogPedagog wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:28 pm
Was not exactly planned but the whole pandemic thing really threw a wrench in the works for me as far as production goes. Perc is not discontinued but I have to decide on getting a new run going or coming out with a redesign, altogether.
Are there any plans already for a new run? These are out of stock everywhere now :(

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:06 am

EFN has Entity Percussion in stock:
https://escapefromnoise.com/modular/ssf ... ion-synth/
You go too high too early, man. The beat sounds like the a slow mudslide and the melodies that go on and on. :zen:

Qiqi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Qiqi » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:40 am

lisa wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:06 am
Thanks! $420 + shipping + import tax would get a bit too steep though.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:25 am

Qiqi wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:40 am
lisa wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:06 am
Thanks! $420 + shipping + import tax would get a bit too steep though.
Ok! Buy a used one then? :sb:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/offers/view/296679

Qiqi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Qiqi » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:44 am

lisa wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:25 am

Haha, I saw that one as well just after posting my last message and messaged that user directly, already in talks of shipping this module to China, where I'm located :hihi:

Thanks again!

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:10 am

Qiqi wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:44 am
lisa wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:25 am

Haha, I saw that one as well just after posting my last message and messaged that user directly, already in talks of shipping this module to China, where I'm located :hihi:

Thanks again!

Ah, interesting, I hope you can get it shipped! These modules are fast becoming rarities, I'm starting to feel grateful I managed to snap a second-hand unit a few months ago. Sorry for the slightly off-topic derailing, but I've always wondered what's the situation like in China in terms of eurorack supply and distribution? Are shops easy to come by outside of main cities or do you mostly ship from other countries? Also I'm always wondering if there are local manufacturers that may not necessarily feel the need export internationally that we may not know about due to the language barrier?

Qiqi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Qiqi » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:09 am

tvparcable wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:10 am
Ah, interesting, I hope you can get it shipped! These modules are fast becoming rarities, I'm starting to feel grateful I managed to snap a second-hand unit a few months ago. Sorry for the slightly off-topic derailing, but I've always wondered what's the situation like in China in terms of eurorack supply and distribution? Are shops easy to come by outside of main cities or do you mostly ship from other countries? Also I'm always wondering if there are local manufacturers that may not necessarily feel the need export internationally that we may not know about due to the language barrier?
Sadly there are no shops in mainland China that carry any eurorack modules, not even in Beijing or Shanghai, so basically everything has to be ordered from overseas. There is an online shop in Taiwan but it has almost nothing in stock. This means that you pay a premium for everything and most of the time have to wait 1-2 months for any module to arrive...

The only local manufacturer that I know of (apart from a small DIY community maybe) is Meng Qi.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:31 am

Working on a new Entity Kick right now and a new percussion will follow.

Now is the time for any requests on the new Perc and will try and implement what I can into the design.

The new kick will be quite different from the Bass/Drum but you will still be able to make bass lines like the original.

This one is going to be intense. I blew the speaker in my headphones testing out the design. Should probably tone it down a bit...

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:42 am

analogPedagog wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:31 am

Now is the time for any requests on the new Perc and will try and implement what I can into the design.

The new kick will be quite different from the Bass/Drum but you will still be able to make bass lines like the original.

This one is going to be intense. I blew the speaker in my headphones testing out the design. Should probably tone it down a bit...
I love my Entity Kick so much, such a wonderful sound to it! Are you at liberty to share more details of how the new Entity Kick will differ from the existing one? Thanks good sir!

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:28 am

analogPedagog wrote:

About the Percussion - no idea what's realistic to implement or not, but here are some additions I would love to see:

- The ability to control the type of envelope for the decay, from exponential to linear to logarithmic. The latter would allow for firm noise lengths with abrupt endings. It's possible by controlling the decay with a stepped CV sequence or external volume control, but it would be great if it was onboard to begin with.
- The ability to have the filtered noise run continuously
- Independent control for the Ring's pitch and the Env's filter level (possibly with them still being normalled to each other when only one input is used)
- Maybe slightly more variety on the result produced the Body control (I feel the difference is often quite minimal)
- It might be worth exploring normalization of CV inputs to make the module drastically change in character over just one or two CV inputs. Something that would make it easy to program sequences were you can get interesting varieties on the output, from hats to snares. If I want to program complex drums patterns, my current workflow utilises all outputs from my Mimetic Digitalis, and it's sometimes tough to get soft hats in between your crunchy snares, they often resemble snappy rimshots more than hats. Of course these things can be fixed by feeding the module more CV, but the module could benefit from a slightly more BIA-esque approach to CV control.
- Of course, reducing the HP slightly wouldn't hurt either :)

Some features from the current version that I love and would be very happy to see being carried over:

- The amazing character and color of the noise and the delightful internal distortion/gain that gives the SSF its signature snares (the best IMO).
- The general snappiness/internal compression - I'm not sure what really makes this sound, but there's just something extremely satisfying about the way the noise channels mix with the rest in the final output.
- The philosophy of having everything CV-able

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:31 am

tvparcable wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:28 am
analogPedagog wrote:

About the Percussion - no idea what's realistic to implement or not, but here are some additions I would love to see:

- The ability to control the type of envelope for the decay, from exponential to linear to logarithmic. The latter would allow for firm noise lengths with abrupt endings. It's possible by controlling the decay with a stepped CV sequence or external volume control, but it would be great if it was onboard to begin with.
- The ability to have the filtered noise run continuously
- Independent control for the Ring's pitch and the Env's filter level (possibly with them still being normalled to each other when only one input is used)
- Maybe slightly more variety on the result produced the Body control (I feel the difference is often quite minimal)
- It might be worth exploring normalization of CV inputs to make the module drastically change in character over just one or two CV inputs. Something that would make it easy to program sequences were you can get interesting varieties on the output, from hats to snares. If I want to program complex drums patterns, my current workflow utilises all outputs from my Mimetic Digitalis, and it's sometimes tough to get soft hats in between your crunchy snares, they often resemble snappy rimshots more than hats. Of course these things can be fixed by feeding the module more CV, but the module could benefit from a slightly more BIA-esque approach to CV control.
- Of course, reducing the HP slightly wouldn't hurt either :)

Some features from the current version that I love and would be very happy to see being carried over:

- The amazing character and color of the noise and the delightful internal distortion/gain that gives the SSF its signature snares (by fare my favorite in Eurorack).
- The general snappiness/internal compression - I'm not sure what really makes this sound, but there's just something extremely satisfying about the way the noise channels mix with the rest in the final output.
- The philosophy of having everything CV-able

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:43 pm

jzwoopwoop wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:42 am
analogPedagog wrote:

I love my Entity Kick so much, such a wonderful sound to it! Are you at liberty to share more details of how the new Entity Kick will differ from the existing one? Thanks good sir!

Finer range for the decay control (no attack this time).

Finer pitch range

A new 'character' control

Punch control

Built in compressor and hard limiter.

Final gain distortion and an output trim for level.

Voltage controlled side chain filter for pumping the bass.

Improved duck out

Just about all parameters CV controllable, of course.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Very thankful that I was able to find a black Bass Drum and a black Percussion (pretty sure it was the last one in the Americas) to add to my meager percussion row. Also very thankful to hear that new modules are in development - they will be instabuys.

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:41 pm

Ugh. I was afraid that was going to happen.

natrixgli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natrixgli » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:43 pm

analogPedagog wrote:

CV control for FM amount please :)

If you wanna get nuts, A sine wave oscillator for a FM source would be insane. FM takes that module to the next level IMO.
analogPedagog wrote:
I blew the speaker in my headphones testing out the design. Should probably tone it down a bit...
Watch those levels, tinnitus sucks.

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:28 pm

analogPedagog wrote:

Glad to hear new versions are coming. Regarding requests on the new Perc:

The ability to take the noise of the module separately from the main output, especially when triggering those noise hats.

A digital noise option. This might be out of scope of the module here, but I regularly patch in digital noise as an alternative to the white and pink noise offered.

I also like natrixgli's idea of an extra oscillator for FM, but I understand that might also be out of scope.

Having some form of control of the duckout envelope would be nice, if you could have the duckout trigger either slightly before or after, or modify the attack or decay times of the duckout envelope separately. This would be handy on both modules, not just the Perc.

comacomfort
Common Wiggler

Post by comacomfort » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:11 pm

analogPedagog wrote:

I love my entity bass drum, my only improvement would be get rid of the body control, its too subtle (just changing internal trigger length right?) it takes up a lot of space, and i'd rather have a sweepable mid scoop (not a notch but a bit wider eq scoop), on percussion and kicks scooping out the mid frequencies really changes the tone in a drastic and pleasing way thats super broad. Really allows you to change a punchy percussion, into a nice warm thud or smack or thwack or snip depending on frequency, its so much diversity of sound. (could make it sweepable out of range, so you dont need a level control for it too, just a set scoop frequency that if you dont want it on you set it to the inaudible frequencies

Return to “Eurorack Modules”