Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by mritenburg » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:34 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:20 am
Do you find the Phase modulation fun / useful?
On thing I find fun and useful is loading all sine wave samples then configuring DX style 4 op and 6 op routings.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:20 am

mritenburg wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:34 am
bemushroomed wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:20 am
Do you find the Phase modulation fun / useful?
On thing I find fun and useful is loading all sine wave samples then configuring DX style 4 op and 6 op routings.
Cool! Not really needed for me though, just got PreenFM2 (euro version).

quaidscape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quaidscape » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:46 pm

Rossum,

Could you let us know whether or not you're working on a 2.0 patch and when you plan to release it?

a response of some kind would be appreciated by all.

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:46 pm

Hi all,

We're about to release v2.01 (like in the next day or so), which fixes the solo/mute crash bug, and a few more minor bugs. However, we've been unable to reproduce the problem some of you are having with disappearing samples. We would *really* appreciate it if those experiencing it could contact us via our Support Request form:

http://www.rossum-electro.com/support/s ... uest-form/

and include a recipe that consistently results in the problem. A clear video showing it would be good as well. We really want to get this addressed as soon as possible, but we need to be able to reliably see the problem.

Thanks.
Marketing Guy at Rossum Electro-Music

RHB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RHB » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:12 pm

quaidscape wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:46 pm
Rossum,

Could you let us know whether or not you're working on a 2.0 patch and when you plan to release it?

a response of some kind would be appreciated by all.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=192914&start=1550#p3187372

TLDR: What, did you think they just flaked...? Never doubted Rossum and Marco at all... Reproducing and fixing bugs are a process. :tu:

RHB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RHB » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:31 pm

Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 am

Marco Alpert wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:46 pm
We would *really* appreciate it if those experiencing it could contact us via our Support Request form:

and include a recipe that consistently results in the problem. A clear video showing it would be good as well. We really want to get this addressed as soon as possible, but we need to be able to reliably see the problem.
Fast turnaround time on the .01 update! I'm one of those people and i've been taking crude bug regression notes—i'll try to reproduce it with the 2.01 update and get in touch asap. thanks again Marco, and RE for being on top of things :sb:

quaidscape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quaidscape » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:11 pm

Marco Alpert wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:46 pm
Hi all,

We're about to release v2.01 (like in the next day or so), which fixes the solo/mute crash bug, and a few more minor bugs. However, we've been unable to reproduce the problem some of you are having with disappearing samples. We would *really* appreciate it if those experiencing it could contact us via our Support Request form:

Thanks.

Thanks, Marco! :tu:

Will take a look this evening after updating and see if I can make instructions for the disappearing sample trick.

I'm a 'don't forget to remind me', type, so I'm operating on the assumption that other's might be this way as well. I don't mean for my pestering to be disrespectful of the Rossum team.

I imagine development for assimil8or will stop long before I quit using it, so I'm trying to take advantage of the fact that the development window still seems to be open for it. I'm pushing for as much development as possible in that window, it's a really unique instrument and has a lot of potential and room for improvement.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 pm

I went to youtube and listened to the limited examples on the Assimil8ors Phase Modulation. I can't say i was impressed by anything I heard but I didn't hear much. It made things sound messy and not very pleasant IMO. Do any of you have any demos you could share of your phase modulation experiments? I would love to hear them if so.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 pm
I went to youtube and listened to the limited examples on the Assimil8ors Phase Modulation. I can't say i was impressed by anything I heard but I didn't hear much. It made things sound messy and not very pleasant IMO. Do any of you have any demos you could share of your phase modulation experiments? I would love to hear them if so.
it's heavily dependent on the samples used. for example if you take some single cycle waveforms that are sine waves or parabolas etc you get typical very identifiable FM type sounds. i dumped a hundred or so singlecycle waveforms into a folder and messed around w/them for a good while and there's lot's of really great sounds to be had.

also, very nice subtle sometimes not so subtle changes in timbre of percussion sounds is easily achieved with using an oscillator at one of the inputs as the phasemod source for some drum sounds or even phasemod between percussion sounds as well.. all controlled by a modulation source. it's dead simple to set up and to my ears sounds great and has a nice presence.

sorry, no time to make a demo of this...

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:26 pm

ignatius wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:11 pm
Gringo Starr wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 pm
it's heavily dependent on the samples used. for example if you take some single cycle waveforms that are sine waves or parabolas etc you get typical very identifiable FM type sounds. i dumped a hundred or so singlecycle waveforms into a folder and messed around w/them for a good while and there's lot's of really great sounds to be had.

also, very nice subtle sometimes not so subtle changes in timbre of percussion sounds is easily achieved with using an oscillator at one of the inputs as the phasemod source for some drum sounds or even phasemod between percussion sounds as well.. all controlled by a modulation source. it's dead simple to set up and to my ears sounds great and has a nice presence.

sorry, no time to make a demo of this...

What single cycle wave forms did you use? I used the Adventure Kid pack but I had trouble loading them... ha that said it might be a glitch with 2.0 firmware. I'm going to update and try again.

I've pretty much come to the same conclusion and wanted to try out the PM with some simpler wave forms. I posted an example a page or so back of phase mod and also commented on how I feel about it over all, and what applications it might be useful in.

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:14 am

Every time I try to explode a sample across a zone and then trigger it using a volt per octave keyboard, the layout is reversed to how I would expect.

The first key is the last sample in the slice if that makes sense.

Anyone have any tips on how to make the slices play in order up the keyboard?

ipnoteca
cane morto

Post by ipnoteca » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:45 pm

sorry mistake
i've blown a fuse...

previously robocoder

YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/ipnoteca
INSTAGRAM http://www.instagram.com/ipnoteca/

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:56 am

Just got this last night and after 4 hours wiggling I’m in love .

What are people’s favourite tricks with this?

Cheers
Last edited by Tomorrow Sounds Good on Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cuttingeugen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cuttingeugen » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:14 am

I like loading a speech sample, setting it to one shot play and then triggering (!) it with any square wave oscillator at audio rate. Then try moving the start point of the sample.

Have fun

Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:27 pm

ooh lately i've been loading up breakbeats and chopping them up/resequencing them via my nerdseq, then resampling through morpheus to get a little distortion—rinse and repeat. sort of like a hardware Renoise

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:06 am

Anyone use the Assimil8or for chords?
I'm really intrigued how PM'ed sinewav chord could sound.

I don't have the module yet, but my patch idea would be something like this :

Using 4 sinewaves as modulator (5 to 8 outputs), to PM 1st to 4 channels.

5th channel would PM the 1st channel.
6th channel would PM the 2nd channel.
7th channel would PM the 3rd channel, and
8th channel would PM the 4th channel.

The more I think about it the more it excites me :lol:

The idea came from using 4 Omega Phi II (and 4 modules, or sample player to modulate the Omega PHI II), but it would be ridiculously expansive...
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

wavejockey
Common Wiggler

Post by wavejockey » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:30 am

Misk wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:27 pm
ooh lately i've been loading up breakbeats and chopping them up/resequencing them via my nerdseq, then resampling through morpheus to get a little distortion—rinse and repeat. sort of like a hardware Renoise
what cube/filter nr do you use use on the morph?

for drumloops, i find the first 40 orso kinda 'restricting' - not really sounding good (enough) ; they are (targeting) quite specific frequency domains

that said, the distortion or overload on the morph can yield spectacular results

Return to “Eurorack Modules”