Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Durdee
Common Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by Durdee » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:43 am

jwm wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:00 am
perhaps i missed this somewhere along the way, but is there any way to record a sample and quick pitch it up or down an exact number of semitones? say, if i captured something on the fly, and want to pitch it down an octave, without having to dial down 12 semitones and having all that pitching in between...would be a very useful live use case

(apologies if this was covered, this thread is deep like the ocean)
I’d think the best way would be to preset the pitch of the channel you’re sampling to. Otherwise you could use a keyboard or any precise voltage source into a CV input set to pitch volt/octave for that channel.

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:20 am

jwm wrote:
perhaps i missed this somewhere along the way, but is there any way to record a sample and quick pitch it up or down an exact number of semitones? say, if i captured something on the fly, and want to pitch it down an octave, without having to dial down 12 semitones and having all that pitching in between...would be a very useful live use case

If you click the encoder to bring up the full resolution editing field, pressing the encoder switch while turning the encoder will quantize the pitch setting to even semitones.
pg.42 http://www.rossum-electro.com/fqlzron/w ... 0618-2.pdf

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:09 pm

Sam Botstein wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:20 am
jwm wrote:

If you click the encoder to bring up the full resolution editing field, pressing the encoder switch while turning the encoder will quantize the pitch setting to even semitones.
pg.42 http://www.rossum-electro.com/fqlzron/w ... 0618-2.pdf
hey thanks sam! i guess i passed over that little blurb in the manual because (to me) it implied that it would just dial through even semitones on the way down to -12, whereas i was looking to just snap instantly down to -12

also, i don't actually have an assimil8tor yet (its on the way) so i'm just trying to envision how this works based on documentation and videos, so i'm probably getting ahead of myself and misunderstanding... :razz:

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:07 am

jwm wrote:

Assign a DC sample from another channel to the pitch of the channel you want to repitch. Adjust the the DC so when it’s playing it is pitching the other channel correctly. Go via a VCA to control it.

Or use a precision adder / offset via a VCA.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:04 pm

What would be the best way/technic to record Waveforms into Assmil8r and get perfect cycling without clicking?
Instagram
Soundcloud
Youtube

WTB
- Polivoks ADSR/VCA IME
- Schippmann Omega Phi

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:15 am

Zerius wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:04 pm
What would be the best way/technic to record Waveforms into Assmil8r and get perfect cycling without clicking?
Divide your masterclock to desired loop length. Patch into any Assiml8r CV input. On sampling page, select this input for sampling threshold, you`re done. If you start from scratch, you might select "empty channel" as target. This will assign every loop iteration to an available channel. On complex signals and stems, you won`t hear clicks, otherwise enable "loop crossfade".

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:56 am

my experience is that complex signals tend to be harder to find the perfect loop (point), loop smoothing makes it even worse

i have lots of mellotron samples, and these are originally not looped but are very hard to find/set a clickless loop

if played polyphonicly (several / different samples) the (low but hearable) clicks drown in the mix though

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:12 am

andybizarre wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:15 am
Zerius wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:04 pm
Divide your masterclock to desired loop length. Patch into any Assiml8r CV input. On sampling page, select this input for sampling threshold, you`re done. If you start from scratch, you might select "empty channel" as target. This will assign every loop iteration to an available channel. On complex signals and stems, you won`t hear clicks, otherwise enable "loop crossfade".
Do you mean I should record several loops of the same waveforms and use the crossfade group function?
I tried the threshold method and still get noticeable clicks on one bar cycling. I tried to send a gate in the Osc sync input to get a perfect starting point as well.
wavejockey wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:56 am
my experience is that complex signals tend to be harder to find the perfect loop (point), loop smoothing makes it even worse

i have lots of mellotron samples, and these are originally not looped but are very hard to find/set a clickless loop

if played polyphonicly (several / different samples) the (low but hearable) clicks drown in the mix though

I'm even struggling to record sine waves without clicks at the moment. I have only used pre made wavetables banks at the moment with the Ass8, but being able to record my own at 192khz is very tempting.
Instagram
Soundcloud
Youtube

WTB
- Polivoks ADSR/VCA IME
- Schippmann Omega Phi

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:17 am

Are you trying to record single-cycle waveforms and without clicks? Can you get there by adjusting start of sample and end of sample on a sample-by-sample basis? Both start and end should be at a zero crossing.

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:37 am

Wouldn’t it be easier to edit the wav in something like Audacity to get the crossing points perfect? Appreciate it might be a pain from a workflow perspective.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:55 pm

Artaos wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:17 am
Are you trying to record single-cycle waveforms and without clicks? Can you get there by adjusting start of sample and end of sample on a sample-by-sample basis? Both start and end should be at a zero crossing.
That’s it, bit hard to manage perfect looping point without clicking with the tiny screen.
batch wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:37 am
Wouldn’t it be easier to edit the wav in something like Audacity to get the crossing points perfect? Appreciate it might be a pain from a workflow perspective.
I’m gonna end up recording in the Ass8, edit into Audacity then back to Ass8 I guess. Never did it before yet but I presume it will be easier with a bigger screen :)
Instagram
Soundcloud
Youtube

WTB
- Polivoks ADSR/VCA IME
- Schippmann Omega Phi

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:45 am

other samplers have a built in find next zero crossing point or move start/end only to zero crossings (EMU Emulator X software)

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:11 pm

Zerius wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:55 pm
Artaos wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:17 am
That’s it, bit hard to manage perfect looping point without clicking with the tiny screen.
It's not that difficult, in fact it's pretty simple on the Assimil8or. Set the sample to loop, press play and adjust the loop points until there is no click. Then permanently truncate and you're done.

bonjourmyfriends
Common Wiggler

Post by bonjourmyfriends » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:12 am

I love this module, but the lack of chokes or mute groups between the 8 channels is so frustrating and limiting. It has been the number 1 thing standing between me and fun, basic samplery things I want to do, at least without needlessly complicated workarounds that tie up several other modules.

If anyone can come up with a solution to this, whether it needs extra modules or not, please help. Perhaps there is some kind of round-robin thing I am not thinking of in the FH-2, which can output a gate corresponding to only the last-hit trigger? I have the FH-2 expander, so 24 available outputs there.

Right now I'm using a Nord Drum 3P with its MIDI out going into an Expert Sleepers FH-2. Each of the Nord Drum's 6 pads corresponds to a trigger sent on 6 of the FH-2's outputs. The triggers from the FH-2 go into the Assimil8or. What I want to do is put an Amen breakbeat into the Assimil8or.

When I hit the bass drum pad on the Nord Drum, I want to trigger a kick drum chop of the Amen break on channel 1 of the Assimil8or.
When I hit the snare drum pad on the Nord Drum, I want to trigger a snare drum chop of the Amen break on channel 2 of the Assimil8or.
When I hit the hi-hat drum pad on the Nord Drum, I want to trigger a hi-hat/ride chop of the Amen break on channel 3 of the Assimil8or.

Here's the tricky part: If I trigger channel 1 and then trigger channel 2 before the chop on channel 1 has stopped playing, I want channel 1 to mute the moment I hit channel 2. Basic channel choking.

Usually the go-to solution here is "zones". Well, I want to use all the zones on channel 1 for all the various kick drum chops within the Amen break. I want all the snare drums contained in the Amen break to be zones on channel 2. Then each time I hit a kick or snare, a random kick or snare will play, adding a lot of life to the beat. Not to mention they are layered with the kick, snare and hat from the Nord Drum 3P, as well as more eurorack layers.

Moving forward in the patch, when I play the kick drum, a bass VCO also plays at the same time. Each bass trigger will trigger a sequencer forward (and I can also use something like a expression pedal > MIDI > CV to send v/oct voltages to create basslines, but haven't set it up yet). Going for some old school jungle stuff here, but all controlled with the drum pads. Repeat the layering idea for chords/pads/leads as triggered by snare/hat pads, with all the triggers originating from the same Nord Drum pads. Everything works except the Amen breaks in the Assimil8or overlap and get all messy.

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:25 am

Use a Verbos Sequence Selector, or similar addressable switch. Audio outputs from the sampler into switch inputs, and triggers into the stage selection inputs.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:08 pm

bonjourmyfriends wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:12 am
I love this module, but the lack of chokes or mute groups between the 8 channels is so frustrating and limiting. It has been the number 1 thing standing between me and fun, basic samplery things I want to do, at least without needlessly complicated workarounds that tie up several other modules.

If anyone can come up with a solution to this, whether it needs extra modules or not, please help. Perhaps there is some kind of round-robin thing I am not thinking of in the FH-2, which can output a gate corresponding to only the last-hit trigger? I have the FH-2 expander, so 24 available outputs there.

Right now I'm using a Nord Drum 3P with its MIDI out going into an Expert Sleepers FH-2. Each of the Nord Drum's 6 pads corresponds to a trigger sent on 6 of the FH-2's outputs. The triggers from the FH-2 go into the Assimil8or. What I want to do is put an Amen breakbeat into the Assimil8or.

When I hit the bass drum pad on the Nord Drum, I want to trigger a kick drum chop of the Amen break on channel 1 of the Assimil8or.
When I hit the snare drum pad on the Nord Drum, I want to trigger a snare drum chop of the Amen break on channel 2 of the Assimil8or.
When I hit the hi-hat drum pad on the Nord Drum, I want to trigger a hi-hat/ride chop of the Amen break on channel 3 of the Assimil8or.

Here's the tricky part: If I trigger channel 1 and then trigger channel 2 before the chop on channel 1 has stopped playing, I want channel 1 to mute the moment I hit channel 2. Basic channel choking.

Usually the go-to solution here is "zones". Well, I want to use all the zones on channel 1 for all the various kick drum chops within the Amen break. I want all the snare drums contained in the Amen break to be zones on channel 2. Then each time I hit a kick or snare, a random kick or snare will play, adding a lot of life to the beat. Not to mention they are layered with the kick, snare and hat from the Nord Drum 3P, as well as more eurorack layers.

Moving forward in the patch, when I play the kick drum, a bass VCO also plays at the same time. Each bass trigger will trigger a sequencer forward (and I can also use something like a expression pedal > MIDI > CV to send v/oct voltages to create basslines, but haven't set it up yet). Going for some old school jungle stuff here, but all controlled with the drum pads. Repeat the layering idea for chords/pads/leads as triggered by snare/hat pads, with all the triggers originating from the same Nord Drum pads. Everything works except the Amen breaks in the Assimil8or overlap and get all messy.
Just use the Assimil8or in gate mode and send gates as long as you want the sample to play - so in effect it would be legato between the 3 notes you're sending. That would do what you're looking for.

But I agree, there are a few things I wish the Assimil8or could do that is doesn't:

Choking - the implementation using Cycle is not practical
Poly mode - what I actually imagine Cycle should do and that is cycle through channels to allow for 'polyphony'
Basic eq - just to be able to remove low end - nothing fancy

However, beyond that, the Assimil8or is a very powerful module and all those inputs can work some proper magic. :tu:

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:26 am

i would do it in MIDI as @OHEXOH explained , using gates instead of triggers - you'll have to switch the Assimil8tor to gated mode instead of one-shot then
in MIDI you can set the notes so they don't overlap each other

cycle through channels is one thing i don't want to happen when in poly mode
(i want my lowest note always trigger Assimil8tor ch 1 etc etc, not cycle to another ch when i hit the same or another low note)
but i think that's a matter you need to address in the (MIDI->)CV interface - and i haven't found one that able to do that

MDurden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MDurden » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:12 am

bonjourmyfriends wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:12 am

Did you try experimenting with XFade options? You can set up to 4 XFade Groups (A,B,C,D), by choosing the Channels button. In your example, set channels 1,2, and 3 all to Group A. Then at the bottom of the Channels screen, assign which input will control the XFade via CV and then make the crossfade width parameter (bottom right corner value) to the smallest available width of .01. Now you can select which channel is heard via CV control on whichever input you selected. This essentially works like a choke group. So you could have up to 4 choke groups (A,B,C,D). Let me know if this solves your issue

Return to “Eurorack Modules”