Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

acretelaf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by acretelaf » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:04 pm

D_Robot wrote:The top few posts from this forum search are worth reading as they explain a little bit about the risks of DC offset in your signal chain, primarily when interfacing with equipment outside of the modular.

Basically if you have an audio interface that allows dc coupling you could inadvertently send a signal with dc offset to your speakers and potentially fry them. Most audio interfaces (but not all) are AC coupled and so block DC offset avoiding the issue.

ersatzplanet's post half way down this thread explains it.
Thank you !

acretelaf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by acretelaf » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:03 pm

Mend wrote:But it might be the 101 doing something odd.
The ER-101 doesn't seem to go under 1.5 V so to hit the last (8) zone... it would have to hit between -5 and +1.5 according to your zone voltage splicing if I understand correctly.

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:10 pm

Cannot beleive the CV controled scrubbing is STILL not fixed! This is one of your flagship feature you advertise everywhere yet it's been broken from the start and still broken... pls fix this

bang
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by bang » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:39 am

Firmware 2.0 is finally out now !!!

http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/assimil8or/

Sam Botstein
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sam Botstein » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:51 am

Sam Botstein
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sam Botstein » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:10 pm

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:31 pm

Sounds amazing, I’m going to add a mic with my system and will definitely try it with Assimil8or as soon as I get it.

youwe9
Common Wiggler

Post by youwe9 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:03 pm

why is this? maybe I am doing something wrong

If I fill channel one with 8 mono!! samples into the 8 zones, channel two turns into "Stereo/Right" with the new graphic stereo sign and the "branch" symbol. I can change channel two back to "Master" and delete the samples from channel 1 which are now in there, but.... ???

Next thing is, that I am filling channel 4 and I can´t put specific samples to zone 1 or 2, their name is strikethrough, but I can put them into the other zones...?

Hope I could explain it well enough

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:19 pm

Is it possible to adjust the levels of individual zones? Can't find it in the manual.

\/ Awesome. Thanks! \/
Last edited by Mend on Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:20 pm

Mend wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:19 pm
Is it possible to adjust the levels of individual zones? Can't find it in the manual.
Yes, it's in the upper right hand corner of the level page, labeled "offset". It works the same way as individual zone pitch.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Please fix the scrubbing :mad:

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:47 pm

youwe9 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:03 pm
why is this? maybe I am doing something wrong

If I fill channel one with 8 mono!! samples into the 8 zones, channel two turns into "Stereo/Right" with the new graphic stereo sign and the "branch" symbol. I can change channel two back to "Master" and delete the samples from channel 1 which are now in there, but.... ???

Next thing is, that I am filling channel 4 and I can´t put specific samples to zone 1 or 2, their name is strikethrough, but I can put them into the other zones...?

Hope I could explain it well enough
not sure about your strike through missing sample thing. but i have been able to lose samples that have been created by non destructive truncating with the auto naming thing. if i try to rename a sample after one has been created this way, sometimes i get a 'sample not found' message. however i can truncate this 'sample not found' sample to create another auto named sample and this one i can rename and save. but that original one, if used in a preset and saved, will come back with a strike through and cannot be found again. i've sent a video of this happening and am hoping to hear back soon. i'm not sure if this is the only way they can disappear.

the linking channels has been confirmed and I am also waiting to hear back from rossum on that. today in my current session, after experiencing the channel link bug in ch2 and then reseting channel 3 to master, anytime I add, remove, or change a sample from any zone in channel 2, my assimil8or links this channel to the next one. and i've been working strictly with dual mono and mono recordings i've just taken since creating my current empty folder.

infact now i find that as long as the channel below the one i'm working in is empty the assimil8or will link this channel to the one below it if i add activate a second zone by adding a sample. ever more so - if i reset these channels to master and clear their samples out from the channel page - if i go back into zone page - which is now completely empty - and add 1 sample to zone one, another sample automatically is loaded into zone 2 as well!

webhead311
Learning to Wiggle

Post by webhead311 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:30 pm

I'm a bit confused about the new update. So does it allow you to load samples from different files into one preset? I'm reading the new manual and it seems like its possible but im kind of confused about how to do it. Also, same thing with auditioning sounds. I load up a folder, go to channels mode, click the encoder on a specific channel and then when i begin to browse the samples of that filethe sounds dont play automatically even though auto-audition is on. One last thing, i tried the new zones explode/chop function and set balance to kbd then tried using my beat step pro to play each sample but it was not working and only kept playing one "slice"

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:23 am

webhead311 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:30 pm
I'm a bit confused about the new update. So does it allow you to load samples from different files into one preset? I'm reading the new manual and it seems like its possible but im kind of confused about how to do it. Also, same thing with auditioning sounds. I load up a folder, go to channels mode, click the encoder on a specific channel and then when i begin to browse the samples of that filethe sounds dont play automatically even though auto-audition is on. One last thing, i tried the new zones explode/chop function and set balance to kbd then tried using my beat step pro to play each sample but it was not working and only kept playing one "slice"
To import another sample highlight the folder you want to import from and then double tap the load button, then you can scroll through the files. When scrolling through that’s when the audition should work. Press the encoder when you’re on a sample you want to load and it will bring up the prompt.

I have had weird things happen here though such as, even though I only import one sample, now I can see others from that folder available to me in the memory when looking to assign a sample to zone. I’ve also had it not actually audition the samples in the folder but instead the sample on the channel I was last on repeatedly as I scroll through the folder.

For zones issue - check to see you didn’t accidentally activate the zones lock function (which is super handy tho!) but it’s easy to do by accidentally double clicking the zones button - also because the double click doesn’t have to be terribly fast to initiate the function. Other thing could be is what voltages the beatstep is putting out may not correspond the the default kbd zones setting on the assimil8or. Supposedly it should at that setting but if you are able to check what the beatstep it outputting you can verify it matches the ranges the assimil8or shows after exploding the zones

webhead311
Learning to Wiggle

Post by webhead311 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:03 pm

thisoldhouse wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:23 am
webhead311 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:30 pm
To import another sample highlight the folder you want to import from and then double tap the load button, then you can scroll through the files. When scrolling through that’s when the audition should work. Press the encoder when you’re on a sample you want to load and it will bring up the prompt.

I have had weird things happen here though such as, even though I only import one sample, now I can see others from that folder available to me in the memory when looking to assign a sample to zone. I’ve also had it not actually audition the samples in the folder but instead the sample on the channel I was last on repeatedly as I scroll through the folder.

For zones issue - check to see you didn’t accidentally activate the zones lock function (which is super handy tho!) but it’s easy to do by accidentally double clicking the zones button - also because the double click doesn’t have to be terribly fast to initiate the function. Other thing could be is what voltages the beatstep is putting out may not correspond the the default kbd zones setting on the assimil8or. Supposedly it should at that setting but if you are able to check what the beatstep it outputting you can verify it matches the ranges the assimil8or shows after exploding the zones

Thank you for the help! I was able to load files from other folders. It does kind of suck that when you save a preset with samples from another folder it saves it to the primary folder; at that point I might as well just load all the samples in one folder. I understand it isn’t possible due to the modules architecture which is what it is.

I’m still, however, having trouble using the “kbd/maj” zone balance functions. I just tried it with my Minibrutes pitch/oct outs but It keeps playing the same sample (zone lock is turned off and I went through all the minibrutes and beatstep octaves). Not really sure what do do.

Thanks again for your help with the folder!

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Is it possible to have the voltages of zones set to a different 'template'? When I explode a drumloop for example, I have to manually reset the voltages to something my sequencer can support. I have an ER-101 and it doesn't produce negative voltage. So I have to set the voltages of the zones ranging from 0 - 5v. Can I set up voltages for zones and just have that particular zone layout as a template?

I know I can just copy another channel set up like that, but when I import a new sample onto that channel and explode it, I have to reset the zones again.

Gohan2A
Common Wiggler

Post by Gohan2A » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:23 pm

There are presets like 0/5V, -5/+5V, key, maj wen you db click on zone sample (Balance), that's all...

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:21 pm

Seriously not trolling with this post - I have a Squid Salmpler & thinking about adding an Assimil8or to my rig. But so many of the posts here seem to be critical of the interface, workflow, bugs....it’s making me gunshy. Would love to hear from folks who are hardcore users who have thoughts either way on this module. I am considering adding it because of better sound quality and the multitude of ins/outs. Love the Squid btw.

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:12 pm

I have been completely blown away by the assimil8or. I pretty new to the assimil8or but been using samplers everyday since i got an eps16+ in 1995. For me there’s alway been a trade off between sound quality, features, and ease of use for all that I’ve used. I guess i don’t have to go into all the detail but a few examples - i think a Korg dss-1 sound fantastic but it is a bit of pain to use. The eps16+ has an awesome sound but it too is a bit cumbersome to use - but still has many un paralleled features. An emu ultra is super fast to use with a keyboard but it just doesn’t sound nearly as good as the others mentioned. These are of course just my opinions.

I wasn’t too tempted by the assimil8or when it first came out but once i saw that auto chop was coming and zooming, as well as gate delay for zone switching - I figured I’d give it a go.

I wasn’t even prepared for how great it sounds. That plus since I’m not sequencing it by a serial midi device it just is a joy to use because whatever i sequence with it sounds awesome and super tight. Plus you can record samples while it’s being sequenced as well as edit sample and start points etc- while trigging the sample in context. Everything can be done while it’s playing. This is huge if you are used to using an s series Akai or any emu.

Once you get used to it is super fast to operate. Every page has a dedicated button and when you switch channels you remain on the same page and parameter.

The biggest drag is naming stuff. It is tedious, but no more than any other sample that doesn’t have ascii keyboard input.

Yeah, I’ve had a few issues with the new update but I’ve also found some work arounds so at least i can avoid losing samples I’ve recorded, but in the 3 weeks I’ve had it I have become a die hard fan and will certainly never part with it. This is because of it’s sound quality, ease of use, and integration to modular so i can go wherever the inspiration takes me.

D_Robot
Common Wiggler

Post by D_Robot » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:11 am

trickness wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:21 pm
Seriously not trolling with this post - I have a Squid Salmpler & thinking about adding an Assimil8or to my rig. But so many of the posts here seem to be critical of the interface, workflow, bugs....it’s making me gunshy. Would love to hear from folks who are hardcore users who have thoughts either way on this module. I am considering adding it because of better sound quality and the multitude of ins/outs. Love the Squid btw.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Personally the negative posts in this thread have no bearing on my own view of how spectacular the Assimil8or is. I have come across almost no bugs. The work flow is incredibly easy and quick. The flexibility of the routing is incredible. The sound quality is amazing.

The Assimil8or is the core of my system.

However, I do not use it as a drum machine...

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:11 am

trickness wrote:
There's a couple of things I could see improving. Other than that I don't recall running into bugs. Most of the workflow is pretty straightforward. I really like the Assimil8or. I sold my Morphagene, Stereo Triggered Sampler and a Sample Drum to buy it and I don't have any regrets. I think the main thing that stands out is it's superior sound quality. When I first went through the presets on the SD card I was blown away. The 2.0 update has been great and added some really great features. Fantastic module. Well worth the money.

It has become my main 'voice' in my system. I usually set up musical sketches in Ableton Live. For instance:

track 1+2 - main lead/pads/stabs
track 3+4 - bass (stereo because I put a little delay, chorus or reverb on it)
track 5 - percussion
track 6 - 303 riff
track 7+8 - breaks/beats (little plate reverb on top, therefore in stereo)

Once you export these loops and chop them up in Assimil8or you can easily build these great sketches or variations on what I just wrote above, and create a compelling liveset.

kingcons
Common Wiggler

Post by kingcons » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:01 pm

Does anyone have feedback or tips on doing "granular-ish" things with Assimil8or?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:39 pm

trickness wrote:
I think a lot of those comments need to be taken into context. Yes workflow was tedious. I think the new updates address many of these (many comments were made prior to update). I have yet to dig in, but most features I found lacking have been implemented. Certain things that one would like to see in a modern sampler, like time stretching are absent; but those features were never promised and I think the explanation is valid. If you want excellent sound quality and large number of IO, then that's Assimil8or in a nutshell. In terms of bugs at this point, I'm not sure. I have used the Assimil8or on a very basic level with the new firmware and have not encountered any glitches. But I've not really done anything other than play assembled presets so I basically can't comment. Regardless, even with some small bugs, it's a great sampler and I'm sure they'll get ironed out.

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:03 pm

kingcons wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:01 pm
Does anyone have feedback or tips on doing "granular-ish" things with Assimil8or?
for granular like stuff and time stretching, yeah there's no auto timestretch functionality if you're intending to timestretch audio loops to specific bpms or something, but you can get fully controllable timestretching and granular like effect by modulating the start point of a short loop with a ramp wave.

it sounds awesome! just sync the lfo with a gate or use an envelope with long attack instead of lfo. the amount of modulation on the start point of the loop will determine how far the small loop will scan through the sample, and the rate of lfo or envelope will determine how quickly it scans through. for added fun add some modulation to the end point as well (i guess maybe you could say the size of the loop is like the grain size) or use a sine wave instead to make the sample scan in timestretch sounding way alternating forward and backward

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:30 pm

here's a little example of what i would call some kind of granular and time stretching. all sounds are from random records sampled into the assimil8or...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”