Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

youwe9
Common Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by youwe9 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:12 am

Could you recommand a good stereofilter, that works well after the Assimil8or. I think, it should be more on the clean side and does not need to many features, but suggestions are very welcome...

Thanks

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:19 pm

Just want to say thanks to those of you who posted their thoughts on the Assimil8or - I was actually about to pull the trigger at perfect circuit, And it went out of stock! Looks like I’ll have to wait a few more weeks to grab it. Thanks again for all the thoughtful insights and for the sound samples 🙏🏼

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:17 pm

trickness wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:19 pm
Just want to say thanks to those of you who posted their thoughts on the Assimil8or - I was actually about to pull the trigger at perfect circuit, And it went out of stock! Looks like I’ll have to wait a few more weeks to grab it. Thanks again for all the thoughtful insights and for the sound samples 🙏🏼
pretty sure it's in stock at several other shops if you don't want to wait.

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:17 pm

ignatius wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:17 pm
trickness wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:19 pm
pretty sure it's in stock at several other shops if you don't want to wait.
Not for $769 it isn’t 😎

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by ignatius » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:55 pm

Revert wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:41 pm
Hey folks. I've added support for Zones and made a few other tweaks. 8-)

https://revert-files.s3-eu-west-1.amazo ... l8+1.5.zip

Some notes about this Assimil8

* OSX Only
* Caveat: Probably a bunch of bugs in this
* This is good for pulling together WAV Files into the right structure for the Assimil8or
* Zones work - best to just hit the auto button to get the CV ranges set for now.
* Right now one-direction WAV(s) -> Projects
* Note: Future version will be able to open/modify projects - but this will take some work as there are a lot of settings that I could overwrite.
* Cannot edit advanced channel settings just yet (but the plumbing is in there)
* Let me know how it goes and if it is useful.
* I built it for myself and it's just quick to pull stuff together to get started, esp with zones.
* Go easy - this is my first time learning Swift programming!
I haven't tried this w/firmware 2.0 of AssimiL8or just bring it back to current page of the thread wondering if it'll get any new tweaks for the 2.0?

anyone had a go w/it and V2.0? i'll make some new kits and see how they load. i don't expect their to be any issues.

edit: oh and thanks again Revert for this little app!!

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:27 am

youwe9 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:12 am
Could you recommand a good stereofilter, that works well after the Assimil8or. I think, it should be more on the clean side and does not need to many features, but suggestions are very welcome...

Thanks
try the Rossum Morpheus filter ; it pairs very well (i have both too, with a stereo Evolution too)

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:49 am

No CV over level????? How do you deal with dynamic?

ringstone
antipodean experimentalist

Post by ringstone » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:38 am

funqpatrol wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:49 am
Not sure where you've heard that, there certainly is CV control over level. Each channel has a VCA and internal envelope. You can for example modulate that envelope so that you have dynamics while preserving those envelope settings; or you can directly affect the VCA level with an external CV bypassing the envelope entirely.

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:45 pm

ringstone wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:38 am
funqpatrol wrote:
Not sure where you've heard that.
There is no CV for the level setting however there is one for the pan/mix so I'll use that instead!

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:14 pm

funqpatrol wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:45 pm
ringstone wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:38 am
funqpatrol wrote:
Not sure where you've heard that.
There is no CV for the level setting however there is one for the pan/mix so I'll use that instead!
I think I had the same confusion as you. I was using the mix level as well to route velocity outputs of my MIDI to CV converts/sequencers. I had tried the linear AM with limited success, but I believe now that I have looked back at the manual you can probably get the same effect by switching to envelope mode.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:31 pm

I've been digging deeper into the Assimil8or with the new update. I notice it's a little laggy when switching to different screens but it's not terrible. I thought I saved a preset yesterday, but I lost it. That was likely user error haha. Otherwise no major issues. Using my Cirklon DMUX, a Shuttle Control (controlled by Cirklon), and the Vector I've found setting the global gate delay to approximately 1.4 ms works well for these, maybe slightly higher for the Shuttle Control. I'm curious to see what others have found.

Otherwise it seems several folks have mentioned issues with scrubbing audio. I had essentially no luck with it initially and put it on the back burner. I revisited it the other day. I can't say I'm an expert but I got some useful things playing with an envelope as the modulation source and changing the response curve and attack/decay times as well as processing the CV offsetting it and attenuating it. I still am mostly clueless as to what I'm doing but I did come to the realization that the proposed setting are just a suggestion and veering from them may give better results depending on the material.. It would be nice if some users who have had success with it could chime in.

Here are a few clips of the first few patches with the new firmware.

PS Pretty awesome that you can directly load IG videos on the forum now!

dykehouse
Common Wiggler

Post by dykehouse » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:39 pm

Quick question-on the back of my Assimil8or in the red area there is a little metal "post" at an odd angle, is this normal? It has always been this way and i don't dare touch it but it seems like it could get snagged and is a little odd. Just wondering if this what this should look like or if I should contact the manufacturer. Thanks!

jollyjack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jollyjack » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:16 pm

dykehouse wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:39 pm
Quick question-on the back of my Assimil8or in the red area there is a little metal "post" at an odd angle, is this normal? It has always been this way and i don't dare touch it but it seems like it could get snagged and is a little odd. Just wondering if this what this should look like or if I should contact the manufacturer. Thanks!
If it's any help, here's an image of the back for comparison.

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:02 pm

dykehouse wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:39 pm
I bought one new almost one month ago. It has this odd looking barrel as well. Nice to hear I’m not alone

quaidscape
Common Wiggler

Post by quaidscape » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:12 pm

:party:

cafe-de-la-jungle
Common Wiggler

Post by cafe-de-la-jungle » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:16 am

Hey Guys,

My Assimil8or will come probably next week and I guess i`m not patience enough so I have to ask. I have an idea to control level for all the 8 channels from 16n faderbank. Will the device take the state of the faders once the kit is changed? For example if I went all the way down for some of the channels, will this volume change be reflected in the new kit? I think this should work like that but just want to be sure.

I would like to also control the level with some velocity control voltage placed to another cv input but as far as I understood some of the posts the level of the sample can be controlled only from `Pan / Mix` section?

For now the idea of the device is too use it mostly as drum sampler. It would awesome to have the possibility of accent for the samples.
Any one have some kind of workaround and best settings for using drum (accents, velocity)?

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:19 pm

cafe-de-la-jungle wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:16 am
Hey Guys,

My Assimil8or will come probably next week and I guess i`m not patience enough so I have to ask. I have an idea to control level for all the 8 channels from 16n faderbank. Will the device take the state of the faders once the kit is changed? For example if I went all the way down for some of the channels, will this volume change be reflected in the new kit? I think this should work like that but just want to be sure.

I would like to also control the level with some velocity control voltage placed to another cv input but as far as I understood some of the posts the level of the sample can be controlled only from `Pan / Mix` section?

For now the idea of the device is too use it mostly as drum sampler. It would awesome to have the possibility of accent for the samples.
Any one have some kind of workaround and best settings for using drum (accents, velocity)?
yeah the new program will stay the same - provided it contains the same routings - and this is because your fader will still be outputting the same voltage when you switch programs, so the new program - provided it contains the same routing assignments and values (it doesn't have to! which can also be fun!) - will be still responding to that fader voltage the same way.

there is both linear and exponential amplitude modulation control available simultaneously on the levels page for each channel. this modulation will be heard in both the mix level output (unless turned way down or off there) and the individual out. but modulating the mix level will not change the individual out level.

i'm sure there's other ways, but for drum sounds i usually just use the same sample in different zones with the zones set with different volume offsets and then switch between zones for volume dynamics.

so maybe a hi- hat channel with 5 zones containing two samples.

zone 1 OH 0.0
zone 2 OH -8.0
zone 3 CH -0.0
zone 4 CH -8.0
zone 5 CH -12.0

then i can also throw in 3 levels of pedal hat or whatever for remaining zones. or 1 sound in all 8 zones with 8 different levels. But i find 3 levels is pretty good - just like some of the voices on a tr909.

i like this way because it just requires one CV source and i can dynamics and sample switching.

hope that helps with some ideas

cafe-de-la-jungle
Common Wiggler

Post by cafe-de-la-jungle » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:14 am

yeah the new program will stay the same - provided it contains the same routings - and this is because your fader will still be outputting the same voltage when you switch programs, so the new program - provided it contains the same routing assignments and values (it doesn't have to! which can also be fun!) - will be still responding to that fader voltage the same way.

Great! That is exactly what I was looking for !
i'm sure there's other ways, but for drum sounds i usually just use the same sample in different zones with the zones set with different volume offsets and then switch between zones for volume dynamics.

so maybe a hi- hat channel with 5 zones containing two samples.

zone 1 OH 0.0
zone 2 OH -8.0
zone 3 CH -0.0
zone 4 CH -8.0
zone 5 CH -12.0

then i can also throw in 3 levels of pedal hat or whatever for remaining zones. or 1 sound in all 8 zones with 8 different levels. But i find 3 levels is pretty good - just like some of the voices on a tr909.

i like this way because it just requires one CV source and i can dynamics and sample switching.
This is great! I have not though about it and it`s a great workaround. I did not know that you can assign different level for zone. I can`t wait to test it. Thanks a lot ! :tu:

So if i would use the trigger to change zone (let`s say that zone 2 is the accented sound). So the zone 2 will be only called once the trigger will fire? Then it goes back to zone2? Or they are being launch sequentially?

cafe-de-la-jungle
Common Wiggler

Post by cafe-de-la-jungle » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:16 am

Hi Guys,

So i got my Assimil8or today but right after power it on I can hear a high pitch sound coming from it (with nothing plugged it)
This is happening on two different power supplies. This sound is also coming on the main output with the sound.

I have tried also connecting it alone without any modules and it`s still there.

Any ideas what this could be related to? Any tips for debug this issue and find solution?

quaidscape
Common Wiggler

Post by quaidscape » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:57 am

Hello, all!

CIRKLON USERS: For those of you sequencing with a cirklon, what is your method for ensuring a specific 'slice' is played on a step in P3? I'm finding wide ranges of note values will play the same slice and even when I get settled on a note which plays a different slice, it doesn't play that slice consistently, and will actually switch on it's own. I'm also not sure what the simplest way to tell WHICH slice is played in a longer, noisier sample. there seems to be no indication, making it harder to track down which note corresponds to which slice. Having these trouble regardless of 5v, Keyboard, and Major settings, they all seem to turn out a mess on the keyboard. Anyone using CK patterns to trigger the assimil8or? Any help appreciated!

Possible bugs:

1. Is anyone else having the issue of a channel being converted to a stereo channel when a channel's sample is exploded or chopped? Really odd and disruptive.

2. Sample start/end and loop start/end, when 'syncd' using play mode, I find that the sample will stop looping from time to time, even after working for a few minutes, without any change in start/end times or loop times, if the pitch or other settings are altered.

Rossum team, any patches on the way for weird behaviors in 2.0? also, please fix scrubbing! :zombie:

Gohan2A
Common Wiggler

Post by Gohan2A » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:29 pm

cafe-de-la-jungle wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:16 am
Hi Guys,

So i got my Assimil8or today but right after power it on I can hear a high pitch sound coming from it (with nothing plugged it)
This is happening on two different power supplies. This sound is also coming on the main output with the sound.

Any ideas what this could be related to? Any tips for debug this issue and find solution?
Have you updated firmware? or it's already 2.0?

cafe-de-la-jungle
Common Wiggler

Post by cafe-de-la-jungle » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Gohan2A wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:29 pm
cafe-de-la-jungle wrote:
Hi Guys,

Same thing happens on the 2.0 firmware.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 pm

quaidscape wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:57 am
Hello, all!

CIRKLON USERS: For those of you sequencing with a cirklon, what is your method for ensuring a specific 'slice' is played on a step in P3? I'm finding wide ranges of note values will play the same slice and even when I get settled on a note which plays a different slice, it doesn't play that slice consistently, and will actually switch on it's own. I'm also not sure what the simplest way to tell WHICH slice is played in a longer, noisier sample. there seems to be no indication, making it harder to track down which note corresponds to which slice. Having these trouble regardless of 5v, Keyboard, and Major settings, they all seem to turn out a mess on the keyboard. Anyone using CK patterns to trigger the assimil8or? Any help appreciated!

I mentioned my global gate delay settings above for the Cirklon. If you are getting different samples on the same step increasing you gate delay should help more consistently trigger the same sample. Without the delay you are catching the rising edge of the voltage and small discrepancies on when the voltage is read will ultimately create a different value and trigger an unintended sample. I think it also depends on what you are using between the Cirklon and the Assimil8or. In my case it's a DMUX or a Shuttle Control.

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:42 am

cafe-de-la-jungle wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:14 pm
Gohan2A wrote:
cafe-de-la-jungle wrote:
Hi Guys,

It is happening after creating a new project?

cafe-de-la-jungle
Common Wiggler

Post by cafe-de-la-jungle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:39 am

Zerius wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:42 am
cafe-de-la-jungle wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:14 pm
Gohan2A wrote:
cafe-de-la-jungle wrote:
Hi Guys,

It is happening after creating a new project?
I checked and still the same. I will propably sent to Rossum for repair.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”