Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:54 pm

youwe9 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:52 am
By "playing" I am mean having immediate access to different parameters in the A8 like pitch, bit reduction, loop endpoints...at different channels.
As a sequncer I use ER 101/102, the Voltage Block serves just as a 8 channel cv faderbox. I am looking to an alternative for that.
Can I use the Voltera standalone?
If I understand you correctly you just want a fader controller or a voltage source of some type. Lots of options. Something like the Levit8 from Errogenous Tones is an obvious solution. Tetrapad. 16n faderbank. Lots of options.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:45 am

The tetrapad immediately caught my attention but i was put off by the fact that it only does 0-5 V

youwe9
Common Wiggler

Post by youwe9 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:53 am

Yes exactly, I didn‘t know about the Levit8. Thank you
Sinamsis wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:54 pm
youwe9 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:52 am
By "playing" I am mean having immediate access to different parameters in the A8 like pitch, bit reduction, loop endpoints...at different channels.
As a sequncer I use ER 101/102, the Voltage Block serves just as a 8 channel cv faderbox. I am looking to an alternative for that.
Can I use the Voltera standalone?
If I understand you correctly you just want a fader controller or a voltage source of some type. Lots of options. Something like the Levit8 from Errogenous Tones is an obvious solution. Tetrapad. 16n faderbank. Lots of options.

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:38 pm

Just a quick note that we've released another small Assimil8or firmware update (v2.02). Here are the release notes:

Changes in version 2.02_20032:

New Feature

Zone Flip: A “Flip” function has been added to the Zone Operations menu. With a zone selected, use the DATA 2 knob to select the number of contiguous zones (starting with the selected one) to flip. Click the DATA 1 encoder to execute the flip. The order of the selected zones will be reversed. The zone voltage ranges will not be modified.

This will be useful when you’ve done a Chop or Explode and want to play the resulting zones in order, first to last, playing low to high on a keyboard (or sequencer) using one of the keyboard balances.

Workflow Enhancements

Zone Lock Indication: The zone number now flashes on any page where it appears to indicate that Zone Lock is enabled.

Sample Monitor Indication: The “L” and/or “R” indicators now flash subtly whenever sample monitoring is enabled for their respective sample input channels.

Also fixed a minor unreported bug and did some display polishing.
Marketing Guy at Rossum Electro-Music

quaidscape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quaidscape » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:07 pm

Marco Alpert wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:38 pm
Just a quick note that we've released another small Assimil8or firmware update (v2.02). Here are the release notes:

Changes in version 2.02_20032:

New Feature

Zone Flip: A “Flip” function has been added to the Zone Operations menu. With a zone selected, use the DATA 2 knob to select the number of contiguous zones (starting with the selected one) to flip. Click the DATA 1 encoder to execute the flip. The order of the selected zones will be reversed. The zone voltage ranges will not be modified.

This will be useful when you’ve done a Chop or Explode and want to play the resulting zones in order, first to last, playing low to high on a keyboard (or sequencer) using one of the keyboard balances.

Workflow Enhancements

Zone Lock Indication: The zone number now flashes on any page where it appears to indicate that Zone Lock is enabled.

Sample Monitor Indication: The “L” and/or “R” indicators now flash subtly whenever sample monitoring is enabled for their respective sample input channels.

Also fixed a minor unreported bug and did some display polishing.

Nice!

Does this solve the problem with freezing when adjusting sample start/end times?

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:38 pm

quaidscape wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:07 pm
Does this solve the problem with freezing when adjusting sample start/end times?
Anybody NOT have these issues? Way too glaring and obvious of an issue for Rossum to not have caught it if it is happening to everyone all the time. I know people not having problems tend to be very quiet on social media like muffs! So perhaps it’s something more idiosyncratic and hard to track down (eg does it happen the same in old and new projects? Using the card that came with the unit? Etc?). Has anyone actually been able to reproduce the issue with Rossum? I’m trying to decide whether to install the new OS too

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:37 am

buyingitwontmakeucool wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:38 pm
quaidscape wrote:
Anybody NOT have these issues? Way too glaring and obvious of an issue for Rossum to not have caught it if it is happening to everyone all the time. I know people not having problems tend to be very quiet on social media like muffs! So perhaps it’s something more idiosyncratic and hard to track down (eg does it happen the same in old and new projects? Using the card that came with the unit? Etc?). Has anyone actually been able to reproduce the issue with Rossum? I’m trying to decide whether to install the new OS too
We have not been able to reproduce this. If someone could provide us with a script that would consistently demonstrate it, we’d be extremely grateful, as we really want to get it sorted.

cuttingeugen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cuttingeugen » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:20 am

Marco Alpert wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:37 am
quaidscape wrote:
We have not been able to reproduce this. If someone could provide us with a script that would consistently demonstrate it, we’d be extremely grateful, as we really want to get it sorted.
I have sent a video with a detailed explanation of the problems regarding saving samples to Sam Botstein of Rossum. Sadly the problem persists with the new 2.02 software. Samples I record in the Assimil8or are not saved after I have saved and then reloaded a preset. Sometimes truncating an otherwise un-saveable recorded sample fixes the problem, but especially with longer samples (>40s) or higher sampling rates the recorded files seem to simply disappear.
From reading this forum I have the impression, that quite a few other users are plagued by this. Is that so??
I will gladly supply any additional information you might need, because the recording function is absolutely essential for me. Thank you for your help

cafe-de-la-jungle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cafe-de-la-jungle » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:03 pm

Marco Alpert wrote:
quaidscape wrote:

I reported this to Sam while we were discussing another issue and I offered help with recording a video etc but I`ve got no reply. I`m happy to help to fix this.

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:10 pm

cuttingeugen wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:20 am
Marco Alpert wrote:
quaidscape wrote:
I have sent a video with a detailed explanation of the problems regarding saving samples to Sam Botstein of Rossum. Sadly the problem persists with the new 2.02 software. Samples I record in the Assimil8or are not saved after I have saved and then reloaded a preset. Sometimes truncating an otherwise un-saveable recorded sample fixes the problem, but especially with longer samples (>40s) or higher sampling rates the recorded files seem to simply disappear.
From reading this forum I have the impression, that quite a few other users are plagued by this. Is that so??
I will gladly supply any additional information you might need, because the recording function is absolutely essential for me. Thank you for your help
I've have also sent many videos to sam at rossum. I've also detailed how to make samples unsaveable in this thread. it's simple, just truncate any sample while the start or end points are highlighted red. then it will not save or rename, and will be lost after power down. it happens every time. i don't get any other response from sam other than 'thanks our engineers are working on it'.

i am definitely interested to hear if the engineers have tried to reproduce this following those steps but i haven't. also, why not any effort to try to find what serial number units may have this problem or any request to send a unit back in for testing. mine was brand new and i'm surprised to hear - sorry we can't reproduce this with our units - but no one believes mine is worth having a look at? i just wonder what the approach is moving forward on these issues they can't reproduce with their units

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:45 pm

Is there a way to save a preset to a new folder?

It seems a preset will only save in the currently loaded folder.

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:57 am

Single cycle waveform bug

1) load any SCW
2) loop it
3) press sample start
4) assimil8or freeze the GUI but still output sounds

Only solution is power cycle the system. After 2.00 update OS is completely broken and unusable.

cafe-de-la-jungle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cafe-de-la-jungle » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:43 am

dare wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:45 pm

+1 on this. Sometimes a start to work with a set of samples in specific folder and I end up creating some preset that would be nice fit for let’s say my live folder. It would be awesome if I could save it to different folder that I’m currently in.

Tonemod
Common Wiggler

Post by Tonemod » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:23 am

Dunk_91 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:57 am

1) load any SCW
2) loop it
3) press sample start

Only solution is power cycle the system. After 2.00 update OS is completely broken and unusable.
These are the steps to reproduce in 2.02 :bang:

A fix would be :yay:

youwe9
Common Wiggler

Post by youwe9 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:54 am

cafe-de-la-jungle wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:43 am
dare wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:45 pm

+1 on this. Sometimes a start to work with a set of samples in specific folder and I end up creating some preset that would be nice fit for let’s say my live folder. It would be awesome if I could save it to different folder that I’m currently in.
Yes!! Preset including used samples!!
It would simplify the whole workflow and the overview of the samples used in each project...

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:30 am

nice ID for the save as/in folder

as stated before : sample, go to sample end, change the end time, looping is not possible anymore

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:02 pm

the reason for this is that you have moved the sample end point so the sample ends before it reaches the end loop point, so it stops. you need to move the loop end point inside of the sample end point for looping to be possible. it can't loop if it reaches the sample end first.

wavejockey wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:30 am
nice ID for the save as/in folder

as stated before : sample, go to sample end, change the end time, looping is not possible anymore

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:11 pm

I can confirm this happens with my unit too when trying with an AKWF.

another way to work is use single cycle wave sequences - a bunch of waves end to end. can be more useful too because then in one file you can have access to 64 different waves or more! as well as the ability to 'scan' through them. and the assimil8or won't lock up on you.
Dunk_91 wrote:

1) load any SCW
2) loop it
3) press sample start

StateAzure
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StateAzure » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:56 pm

cuttingeugen wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:20 am
Marco Alpert wrote:
quaidscape wrote:

I've definitely had recorded samples disappear after using SOS recording. Not sure on the exact process that caused the bug, but it happened! If I can get a bit of time soon I'll try and reproduce it and send email to Rossum

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:17 pm

I’m happy to report that thanks to some critical info from some folks here, we’ve reproduced the truncation bug and are well on our way to having a fix.

It may be that this is also related to the sample saving issue, but we haven’t confirmed that yet.

We’ll have more news as it develops (probably in the next day or two), so please stand by.

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:24 am

Dunk_91 wrote:

1) load any SCW
2) loop it
3) press sample start
Yep, freezes up when doing the above me me also.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:53 am

Marco Alpert wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:17 pm
I’m happy to report that thanks to some critical info from some folks here, we’ve reproduced the truncation bug and are well on our way to having a fix.

It may be that this is also related to the sample saving issue, but we haven’t confirmed that yet.

We’ll have more news as it develops (probably in the next day or two), so please stand by.
Great news! Thanks. Any luck replicating or explaining the issue with single cycle waveforms?

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:26 am

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:53 am
Great news! Thanks. Any luck replicating or explaining the issue with single cycle waveforms?
Yes, progress there too. More news soon.

dropthedyle
Common Wiggler

Post by dropthedyle » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:14 pm

Zerius wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:15 pm
Yes you can do both, check it here
Even after watching this vid i can't use the sos mode... there is obviously something simple i'm missing :hmm:
sampling is ok cause i can listen to the recording after stopping it but i just can't hear anything live when sampling... any help appreciated !

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:26 pm

Marco Alpert wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:26 am
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:53 am
Yes, progress there too. More news soon.
Thanks a lot

Return to “Eurorack Modules”