Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by spacenoodle » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:30 pm

dropthedyle wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:14 pm
Zerius wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:15 pm
Yes you can do both, check it here
Even after watching this vid i can't use the sos mode... there is obviously something simple i'm missing :hmm:
sampling is ok cause i can listen to the recording after stopping it but i just can't hear anything live when sampling... any help appreciated !
There is a feature that enables input monitoring (though I don't have the module with me now to check where to toggle this). I believe it's off by default. I keep it on always.

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:14 pm

spacenoodle wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:30 pm
dropthedyle wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:14 pm

Even after watching this vid i can't use the sos mode... there is obviously something simple i'm missing :hmm:
sampling is ok cause i can listen to the recording after stopping it but i just can't hear anything live when sampling... any help appreciated !
There is a feature that enables input monitoring (though I don't have the module with me now to check where to toggle this). I believe it's off by default. I keep it on always.
The control for input monitoring is in the Pan/Mix page. It can be set Off, On, or Auto (on only when sampling is armed or hot).
Marketing Guy at Rossum Electro-Music

dropthedyle
Common Wiggler

Post by dropthedyle » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:46 am

Thanks for your feedback Marco & Spacenoodle ! Now let's SOS :party:

transferpoint
butt-hole

Post by transferpoint » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:36 pm

I just received my Assimil8or today and am still reading through the manual. However, after loading some wave files onto the SD card I realized I have to create a yml file for the OS to find the files.

Has anyone created a script to automate this yet? Otherwise I might just make a simple script that does this and share it with the group.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:40 pm

transferpoint wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:36 pm
I just received my Assimil8or today and am still reading through the manual. However, after loading some wave files onto the SD card I realized I have to create a yml file for the OS to find the files.

Has anyone created a script to automate this yet? Otherwise I might just make a simple script that does this and share it with the group.
are you on OS X?
Revert wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:41 pm
Hey folks. I've added support for Zones and made a few other tweaks. 8-)

https://revert-files.s3-eu-west-1.amazo ... l8+1.5.zip

Some notes about this Assimil8

* OSX Only
* Caveat: Probably a bunch of bugs in this
* This is good for pulling together WAV Files into the right structure for the Assimil8or
* Zones work - best to just hit the auto button to get the CV ranges set for now.
* Right now one-direction WAV(s) -> Projects
* Note: Future version will be able to open/modify projects - but this will take some work as there are a lot of settings that I could overwrite.
* Cannot edit advanced channel settings just yet (but the plumbing is in there)
* Let me know how it goes and if it is useful.
* I built it for myself and it's just quick to pull stuff together to get started, esp with zones.
* Go easy - this is my first time learning Swift programming!

transferpoint
butt-hole

Post by transferpoint » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:44 pm

Yeah, I'm on Mac. I'll give this a shot. thank you!

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:34 am

I'm still noticing that the wrong zones can occasionally play even with the new added gate delay.

Anyone else?

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:19 pm

any chance of transform multiplication or spectrum interpolation synthesis making a comeback? love those functions on my emax but hate rendering time ;)

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:28 am

my thought was that transform multiplication is almost the same as the Phase Modulation on the Assiml8tor
but yeah, i hate the wait 10 minutes to conclude you have to redo it again as it sounds sh!t

mosaique
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mosaique » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:06 am

hello, i was wondering about two things on the assimil8or, maybe someone can help me out:
1. is it possible to only play the phase input without triggering the sample? meaning it could be used as a sort of wave shaper?
2. is the sampling engine so flexible as to make them 8 individual wavetable oscillators in terms of freq range etc. if loaded by single cycle waveforms?
thanks!

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:41 am

mosaique wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:06 am
hello, i was wondering about two things on the assimil8or, maybe someone can help me out:
1. is it possible to only play the phase input without triggering the sample? meaning it could be used as a sort of wave shaper?
2. is the sampling engine so flexible as to make them 8 individual wavetable oscillators in terms of freq range etc. if loaded by single cycle waveforms?
thanks!
1. Not sure if I've understand what are you asking, but you can use any cv input as phase modulation source, or set a sample looping, remove it from the global mix and use it as a phase modulation source.

2. Yep, as now I'm using it mainly as a 4 voice oscillator using single circle waveforms. Still got 4 free channels for other samples. You get an indipendent AD envelope for voice and can stack oscillator per voice (using 2 channels per voice, linked, you get 4 indipendent voices of 2 oscillators each I.e.)

I keep saying that once this module will be finally bug free it will be really one of the most powerful modules out there, with an astonishing sound quality. But after almost 2 years from launch things still pretty messy :(

mosaique
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mosaique » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:31 am

hi, thanks for getting back.
what i mean in 1. is whether one can play a sample without triggering in, so make it sound only by reading the phase. (while nothing goes into trigger). in the mungo w0 for example that is possible and a great feature.
and to 2. what is the frequency span? does it cover the range of a normal vco, 20 to 20000Hz?

quaidscape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quaidscape » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:03 am

Hi Marco, any chance of an update/patch this week?

thanks!

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:42 pm

mosaique wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:31 am
what i mean in 1. is whether one can play a sample without triggering in, so make it sound only by reading the phase. (while nothing goes into trigger). in the mungo w0 for example that is possible and a great feature.
and to 2. what is the frequency span? does it cover the range of a normal vco, 20 to 20000Hz?
You can self trigger a sample (play mode + channel button and sample set in loop) and link it to another channel to use as a phase modulations source. It's not exactly what you want but should be pretty close in terms of results.

As a vco (with any sample in reality) the engine has 13 octave spanning, with rock solid tracking and a variable antialiasing filter, so probably it will be long way better than a lot of vcos born to be vcos ;)

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:29 pm

quaidscape wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:03 am

thanks!
We're doing final testing on the update now. Unless we find anything catastrophic, it should be available very soon.

quaidscape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quaidscape » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks, Marco. That's good to hear.

sine language
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sine language » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:58 am

Dunk_91 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:42 pm
mosaique wrote:
You can self trigger a sample (play mode + channel button and sample set in loop) and link it to another channel to use as a phase modulations source. It's not exactly what you want but should be pretty close in terms of results.

As a vco (with any sample in reality) the engine has 13 octave spanning, with rock solid tracking and a variable antialiasing filter, so probably it will be long way better than a lot of vcos born to be vcos ;)
How is the 1v/oct tracking with cv input?

Could you explain the process to make it work as an oscillator? Where do you get the single cycle wave forms from? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:44 am

sine language wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:58 am
Dunk_91 wrote:
mosaique wrote:

Could you explain the process to make it work as an oscillator? Where do you get the single cycle wave forms from? Sorry for the newbie questions.
You can download them from adventure kid site, search for adventure kid single circle waveforms. The whole pack is huge.
Put them in a folder inside assimil8or's sd card and load them into a new preset. Choose your waveform, set it to gated playback and turn loop on.
As default cv a is set to pitch, already scaled to 1v/oct. Plug in you sequencer/keyboard. Gate to trig in and cv to cv a.
Repeat many times as many oscillator you want to use (max 8 of course)
Enjoy :)

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:29 pm

Marco Alpert wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:29 pm
quaidscape wrote:

thanks!
We're doing final testing on the update now. Unless we find anything catastrophic, it should be available very soon.
We just posted v2.03. Thanks so much to everyone here who helped us track these down. Much appreciated!

Here are the release notes:

Changes in version 2.03_200318:

– Fixes a bug that could result in a sample not being properly saved after user sampling.

– Fixes a bug that could result in a sample not being properly saved after truncation.

– Fixes a bug that resulted in display lockup when displaying a sample of fewer than 1728 samples.

– On the Sampling Setup page, adds a “Wait” alert after sampling while the sample is being saved to card, then switches to the Erase Recorded Sample dialog.

quaidscape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by quaidscape » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:01 pm

Yessss... Thanks Marco! :sb:

Benoist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Benoist » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks !
Still stunned by the small size of the "OS" :-O

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:46 pm

Amazing. Thank you!

sine language
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sine language » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:42 pm

Dunk_91 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:44 am
sine language wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:58 am
Dunk_91 wrote:
mosaique wrote:

You can download them from adventure kid site, search for adventure kid single circle waveforms. The whole pack is huge.
Put them in a folder inside assimil8or's sd card and load them into a new preset. Choose your waveform, set it to gated playback and turn loop on.
As default cv a is set to pitch, already scaled to 1v/oct. Plug in you sequencer/keyboard. Gate to trig in and cv to cv a.
Repeat many times as many oscillator you want to use (max 8 of course)
Enjoy :)
Fantastic, thanks!

Excited to try this out...

sine language
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sine language » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:45 pm

Marco Alpert wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:29 pm
Marco Alpert wrote:
quaidscape wrote:

thanks!
We just posted v2.03. Thanks so much to everyone here who helped us track these down. Much appreciated!

– Fixes a bug that could result in a sample not being properly saved after user sampling.

– Fixes a bug that could result in a sample not being properly saved after truncation.

– Fixes a bug that resulted in display lockup when displaying a sample of fewer than 1728 samples.

– On the Sampling Setup page, adds a “Wait” alert after sampling while the sample is being saved to card, then switches to the Erase Recorded Sample dialog.
Awesome, thanks Marco

cuttingeugen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cuttingeugen » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:53 am

sine language wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:45 pm
Marco Alpert wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:29 pm
Marco Alpert wrote:
quaidscape wrote:

thanks!

Awesome, thanks Marco
Thank you!

Now that bugfixing seems to be over we can once again talk about all the fun we have with the Assimil8or. Here is a video of some ”Quarantine Jazz" I made using the Assimil8or and the Panharmonium.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”