Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Durdee wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:31 am
thisoldhouse wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:07 am
...loop start is where the sample begins when triggered as long as it’s before the sample start point, so put sample start and end at the very end of the sample and forget about them.
I’m totally going to mess around with this, thanks for the idea!
Amazing, I must try this too!
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:35 pm

I decided to make a little video showing how I like to make a scanning wavetable patch on one channel of the assimil8or using wavetables from waveedit. I think they sound really good. There's a lot of flexibility with them since each wavetable can have 64 waves and all wavetables are all interchangeable.

I've found that when getting into phase modulation, they sound pretty good, but waves sampled from analogue devices at assimil8or's 192khz sound even better.

at any rate, there's literally endless sonic territory to explore with assimil8or and wave edit wavetables, especially considering you can design whatever wavetable sequence you can possibly imagine or happen upon with waveedit and then load into assimil8or.

you could even put a different wavetable on each of the 8 zones on just one channel and switch among those too.

this is the first tutorial style video i've ever tried to produce. I hope it's useful and adds to anyone's inspiration.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:00 pm

Excellent video. You should make more with more tricks :-)
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

onelove
Learning to Wiggle

Post by onelove » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:54 pm

Dont have a big understanding of these things… and this is aimed at those who love to hack things … But if the unit uses the OLIMEX AM3352, would it be possible to swap this out, with a version with USB?…Like the EVB version… But I think the SOM has a Debug UART port, which you could add serial USB? if so adding Midi? Mounting Storage Folders? etc etc or even taking it further that the unit was edited from a PC or Mac, think how Arturia has a online editor… Thanks - Love this unit, just a little more control would be great.

d2ba
Common Wiggler

Post by d2ba » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:28 am

adg672 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:15 am
Sinamsis wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:35 pm
Yeah, I dunno. Limits the use of the module in a performance case where space would be limited. A basic low cut at least isn’t a lot to ask and the modular concept is definitely a cop out. 8 filters take up a lot of space. I personally don’t have space for 8 dedicated filters for this module. In the end I just multitrack it and eq it as needed in the box, which works fine in the studio setting. But in a performance setting I would have to prep samples appropriately so the mix is acceptable. Perhaps the processor or UI didn’t allow for it. But it certainly is an oversight, albeit it a comparatively small one. And having some basic EQ options in the module wouldn’t preclude one from using external processing.
Same here, just basic LP/HP/BP would be so useful. The new filters on the Squid have been a workflow game-changer and sound really decent.
Qu-Bit Tone quad filter pairs well with A8 and is cheap

nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:48 pm

The Assimil8or definitely does not NEED filters on each channel. That makes no sense to me. At The MOST I would understand if you want a filter for the left and right inputs because you can easily print the sample with a low cut or whatever. That's why I use WMD SCLPL. Why not just use your dedicated filter or EQ modules on the inputs? Maybe you're absolutely set on only filtering the outputs? Maybe you want the sample to always contain the full frequency spectrum? Do you not have any dedicated filters or EQ? If you mult your audio source you could record a full spectrum mono sample on input 1 and a filtered mono sample on input 2 but this creates 2 samples for every audio source. For a sampler being in modular format I do not necessarily want this one module to do everything, for experimental reasons and for pricing reasons. It's much funner and creative to surround the Assimil8or with modules that enhance it.

Durdee
Common Wiggler

Post by Durdee » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:09 pm

nicholasponcedeleon wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:48 pm
The Assimil8or definitely does not NEED filters on each channel. That makes no sense to me. At The MOST I would understand if you want a filter for the left and right inputs because you can easily print the sample with a low cut or whatever. That's why I use WMD SCLPL. Why not just use your dedicated filter or EQ modules on the inputs? Maybe you're absolutely set on only filtering the outputs? Maybe you want the sample to always contain the full frequency spectrum? Do you not have any dedicated filters or EQ? If you mult your audio source you could record a full spectrum mono sample on input 1 and a filtered mono sample on input 2 but this creates 2 samples for every audio source. For a sampler being in modular format I do not necessarily want this one module to do everything, for experimental reasons and for pricing reasons. It's much funner and creative to surround the Assimil8or with modules that enhance it.
This, right here.

astromass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by astromass » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:40 pm

Assimil8or is definitely my favorite Module in my system. The individual outs or channel always has me thinking/plotting/planning/scheming!

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:53 pm

Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:48 pm
People who respond like this will never understand others specific use scenarios. They've been described pretty clearly before. If you don't get it, it's on you. To pretend like it's an unreasonable suggestion reflects more on you than others who suggested otherwise. A basic EQ on a sampler is pretty standard in this day and age, sorry. But this horse has long been dead.

nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:53 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:53 pm

People who respond like this will never understand others specific use scenarios. They've been described pretty clearly before. If you don't get it, it's on you. To pretend like it's an unreasonable suggestion reflects more on you than others who suggested otherwise. A basic EQ on a sampler is pretty standard in this day and age, sorry. But this horse has long been dead.

Your use scenario, nor anyone else's, does not dictate whether the Assimil8or is a sampler that fulfills its duty. Your asking for a subpar EQ to be added to the A8 which would make the price higher and would not fall in line with the other HQ components. Rossum makes filters you know, do you not know basic math? Add up what it would cost for Rossum to put a Rossum EQ or filter in the A8. Rossum doesn't do basic pal. ;)

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:44 pm

Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:53 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:53 pm

Your use scenario, nor anyone else's, does not dictate whether the Assimil8or is a sampler that fulfills its duty. Your asking for a subpar EQ to be added to the A8 which would make the price higher and would not fall in line with the other HQ components. Rossum makes filters you know, do you not know basic math? Add up what it would cost for Rossum to put a Rossum EQ or filter in the A8. Rossum doesn't do basic pal. ;)
You're clueless. That statement in its entirety doesn't even make sense. Haha, you imply that a module's "duties" are uniform across users. That's uninformed by itself. No one said anything about subpar, you suggest that. Additional features come at no cost to end user, they've already added quite a few based on user requests. WTF are you talking about components? This is a digital module, you're making yourself look silly. No hardware is required to add features. We are all aware Rossum makes filters. Don't call me pal, it's patronizing and makes you look like a douche. Further discussion is pointless. Sorry. You've walked in mid-conversation to enlighten us with a completely uninformed opinion.

The most valid arguments against addition of this feature would probably be where to put it in the UI, and perhaps software limitations. As most other people who are interested in this additional feature have already mentioned, it's certainly not a deal breaker. For a performance based system, where size is a premium, it would be a welcome addition though. And the notion of EQ'ing before sampling certainly limits you, and gives no opportunity to adjust based on the venue.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:03 pm

The amount of these that have popped up in the BST this year is a bit surprising. I don't have one yet but I wonder why so many are ditching this sampler. Looks great and from what I read it sounds amazing. :despair:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:15 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:03 pm
The amount of these that have popped up in the BST this year is a bit surprising. I don't have one yet but I wonder why so many are ditching this sampler. Looks great and from what I read it sounds amazing. :despair:
Ha, this question gets asked a lot. I don't think it speaks to the module, just the general trends with modules. I'd take advantage of it and get it at a good price... haha, that's how I ended up with two at one point. Eventually I sold the second as I down-sized my system. In terms of sampling in euro, it's a pretty feature rich sampler. Other modules have additional features (like filters lol), but lack certain things the assimil8or offers. It is very immediate, very precise and over all a great sound. There is something really punchy to it when it comes to percussive stuff. Otherwise it can serve as an oscillator. It mangles samples well too. There's really no specific fatal flaw here, just user preference. Some limitations might be a deal breaker for some. Otherwise, it's not cheap, so if someone finds they're not using it a lot, I'm sure they'll be quick to flip it. Ha you know, the usual euro stuff.

nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:42 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:44 pm

You're clueless. That statement in its entirety doesn't even make sense. Haha, you imply that a module's "duties" are uniform across users. That's uninformed by itself. No one said anything about subpar, you suggest that. Additional features come at no cost to end user, they've already added quite a few based on user requests. WTF are you talking about components? This is a digital module, you're making yourself look silly. No hardware is required to add features. We are all aware Rossum makes filters. Don't call me pal, it's patronizing and makes you look like a douche. Further discussion is pointless. Sorry. You've walked in mid-conversation to enlighten us with a completely uninformed opinion.

The most valid arguments against addition of this feature would probably be where to put it in the UI, and perhaps software limitations. As most other people who are interested in this additional feature have already mentioned, it's certainly not a deal breaker. For a performance based system, where size is a premium, it would be a welcome addition though. And the notion of EQ'ing before sampling certainly limits you, and gives no opportunity to adjust based on the venue.
You need a better approach to modular if you think Assimil8or lacks filters or EQ.

nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:58 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:15 pm
Gringo Starr wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:03 pm
Ha, this question gets asked a lot. I don't think it speaks to the module, just the general trends with modules. I'd take advantage of it and get it at a good price... haha, that's how I ended up with two at one point. Eventually I sold the second as I down-sized my system. In terms of sampling in euro, it's a pretty feature rich sampler. Other modules have additional features (like filters lol), but lack certain things the assimil8or offers. It is very immediate, very precise and over all a great sound. There is something really punchy to it when it comes to percussive stuff. Otherwise it can serve as an oscillator. It mangles samples well too. There's really no specific fatal flaw here, just user preference. Some limitations might be a deal breaker for some. Otherwise, it's not cheap, so if someone finds they're not using it a lot, I'm sure they'll be quick to flip it. Ha you know, the usual euro stuff.
When you say "ha" you seem like a douche :yay:

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:05 am

:foul:

HIMA
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HIMA » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:00 am

This thread is so cool now...

"You're clueless"
"WTF are you talking about components"
"do you not know basic math?"
The Book of Bad Ideas - A compendium of knowledge from Muffs. Download it here: http://bit.ly/1oz2zaI

hlmm
Common Wiggler

Post by hlmm » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:05 am

Let's try to fix this thread...

Did you know that Assimil8or can be used as quantizer/pitch re-mapper? Attached are "mapping samples" for harmonic minor, root + offsets by one degree so it's easy to build chords from one CV. Levels are compensated for gain loss 1%, range 0-5V, no negative values.

"Mapping channel" settings: one shot, loop on, loop length 4 samples, start and loop start point fully modulated by CV A input (incoming pitch CV). Output will be quantized pitch CV that you can patch to your "oscillator channel". To change the scale key/root, offset the pitch of your oscillator channel.

Remember to remove the "mapping channel" from the mix.

Cheers...
Attachments
sc-harmonic minor.zip
(538.33 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:58 am

HIMA wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:00 am
This thread is so cool now...

"You're clueless"
"WTF are you talking about components"
"do you not know basic math?"
If you’re going to quote, use the quote function. Also out of context, and certainly out of order, these quotes make no sense.

Otherwise you’re right, we should coddle members here so they can continue to bring down the forum to Gearslutz level. Got it.

nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:37 am

Ok ok ok! Did you know the Assimil8or can phosilitate a low pass filter and a high pass filter? :hihi:

uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:27 pm

I'm probably going to get an Assimil8or soon, and there's some stuff I'm curious about. I love digital FM/PM. Can it do 2/3/4/etc op "FM" stuff if you load in single cycle waveforms? And if so, does it track pitch okay if you use it as an oscillator?
It's done!
...probably! Ahhh, who am I kidding...

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:52 pm

uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:27 pm
I'm probably going to get an Assimil8or soon, and there's some stuff I'm curious about. I love digital FM/PM. Can it do 2/3/4/etc op "FM" stuff if you load in single cycle waveforms? And if so, does it track pitch okay if you use it as an oscillator?
It tracks very well as an oscillator. I think that’s “the point” with the Assimil8or. And there will be some limits to how you assign your modulators but you have individual outs and three CV inputs per channel, though really the cv inputs are freely assignable. But you can only assign one source to a destination if that makes sense. That said, with an external mixer you could overcome that limitation as well.

HIMA
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HIMA » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:08 am

I'm experiencing some weird behaviour from my module. When in zone mode, regardless of zone target setting eg. Random or advance, my channel plays the last sample my cursor was left on. Only when I move the highlight to a different channel does my zone behave as expected. If I scroll back to the zone channel, it once again plays only my last selected zone.

Also when I select continuous, the sound is heavily distorted, again that changes only if I select a different channel.

So far I've only experienced these issues on channel 1. I have not attempted different channels.

Is this a known issue? It seems like something related to software...
The Book of Bad Ideas - A compendium of knowledge from Muffs. Download it here: http://bit.ly/1oz2zaI

nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:54 am

@HIMA Is zone lock on? Have you tried a new preset with the same sample in channel 1? Double check your start/end points and loop start/end points. It seems like channel 1 got its settings a little skewed. This used to happen to me until I became familiar with the Assimil8or workflow.

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:09 pm

For ease of editing zone parameters, Zone Lock lets you lock the current zone for editing and playback.

To lock the current zone, double-click the Zones button from almost any page (including the Home page).

Selecting a new zone while Zone Lock is engaged, either on the Zone page or via the Zones + Channel buttons, will lock the editing and playback of the newly selected zone.

On pages with a selected zone indicator, the selected zone number will flash when the zone is locked.

On the Home page, a flashing Locked Zone indicator will appear to the right of the selected channel number in the channel map.
http://www.rossum-electro.com/fqlzron/w ... 061820.pdf

If you believe that you may be experiencing an issue, please reach out via the request support form. This is the only official and by far the best and most efficient way to receive support for your Rossum Electro-Music products.

http://www.rossum-electro.com/support/s ... uest-form/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”