Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by dBVelocity » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:23 am

koyl wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:08 am
I'm very interested in this (and on the fence or purchase) as well: Is it possible to switch octaves/change zones using the same CV source as for pitch ? So it's possible to play it with a keyboard ?
No. If you have v/oct go to the same cv for zone, then when you are playing the next octave the cv will be adjusting the pitch of the next zone which is already sampled at the next octave so you get a skipped octave.

The zones can only provide multi samples to the extent of 8 zones and need a separate control. The zones are more useful for having slightly different forms of the same sample at the same pitch and using the random zone playback setting or for adjusting from one drum loop to a variant and so on.

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:27 am

dBVelocity wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:23 am
koyl wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:08 am
I'm very interested in this (and on the fence or purchase) as well: Is it possible to switch octaves/change zones using the same CV source as for pitch ? So it's possible to play it with a keyboard ?
No. If you have v/oct go to the same cv for zone, then when you are playing the next octave the cv will be adjusting the pitch of the next zone which is already sampled at the next octave so you get a skipped octave.

The zones can only provide multi samples to the extent of 8 zones and need a separate control. The zones are more useful for having slightly different forms of the same sample at the same pitch and using the random zone playback setting or for adjusting from one drum loop to a variant and so on.
You can select each zone in the channel and apply a pitch offset to that zone.

This way, you can do what user koyl is asking with continuous pitch control across the zones. However, one may also find that using zones this way is not required with Assimil8or’s remarkable pitch shifting quality.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:40 am

:doh: Such a versatile tool. Thanks Sam.

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:51 pm

Thanks Sam. This is great news, but as you said, it might not be needed and there are probably more interesting things to do with the zones. It's actually not easy to realize how good is the pitch is without trying the module so it's good to know there are ways to achieve muti-sample in case a sound needs extra mega super good fidelity. ;)

uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:58 pm

New user question: is it possible to set up chokes? As in, when one channel is triggered, it mutes another channel. I read through the manual a week ago and don't recall anything about this, but I feel like there might be a feature that I'm not comprehending that can do something like this.
It's done!
...probably! Ahhh, who am I kidding...

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:30 pm

uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:58 pm
New user question: is it possible to set up chokes? As in, when one channel is triggered, it mutes another channel. I read through the manual a week ago and don't recall anything about this, but I feel like there might be a feature that I'm not comprehending that can do something like this.
If you switch zones it will accomplish what you want but the set up would be different. Seems the most efficient way of doing it.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:48 pm

So I just took the plunge and ordered one. My family can pay off my debts after I’m dead.

Thinking of using a Mimetic Digitalis as a CV source and doing wild stuff with the zones and decay times on envelopes. Seems this thing will be a constant source of, “but what if I tried THAT” which is the best thing you can ask for from any module. Eagerly awaiting its arrival.

d2ba
Common Wiggler

Post by d2ba » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:14 pm

Pairs well with (Shock Horror) Akai Force with the four CV/Gate Outs
I use Ableton Project import into Akai Force and then im free of laptop/ computer.
In fact the pairing of Force/Assimil8or is so...perfect im selling my Frap Tools USTA as the Force is a vastly easier to use sequencer with the 7" screen

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:24 pm

I actually purchased one too ! Found one second hand for the exact amount I had on my paypal account... it's a sign right ? (gotta find way to justify buying this and a Cs-L in the same week... ^^).
Can't wait to try this beast.

Precarious
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Precarious » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:34 pm

This video by Alex at WMD is as much a demo of Assimil8or as anything else. Some cool tips on assigning parameters to the CV ins for hands-on control.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:26 pm

I particularly liked his use of a 5v CV sample in the A8 combined with the A8's envelope to turn it into an envelope generator. Often overlooked - it makes the A8 super powerful in a small system.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:30 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:26 pm
I particularly liked his use of a 5v CV sample in the A8 combined with the A8's envelope to turn it into an envelope generator. Often overlooked - it makes the A8 super powerful in a small system.
Yes that video sold me on it this morning. Possibilities are endless.

osten
Common Wiggler

Post by osten » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:50 pm

Precarious wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:34 pm
This video by Alex at WMD is as much a demo of Assimil8or as anything else. Some cool tips on assigning parameters to the CV ins for hands-on control.

Nice!

everythingcontinues
Common Wiggler

Post by everythingcontinues » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:47 pm

Precarious wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:34 pm

This is great; thanks so much for sharing! I love how Alex heavily plugs other companies' products he enjoys. HIs video on the Rossum Evolution definitely helped me pull the trigger on that one.

I've been gassing for the Assimil8or for a bit now. I just copped a Michigan Synth Works F8R, primarily to use with the Disting EX over the MIDI jumpers (which is working as planned so far), but I also had in the back of my mind that it might really help make something like the Assimil8or more enjoyable / performative. Love seeing patching concepts like this in action.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:35 pm

Ok so I got this and I’ve been playing around for an hour and I’m totally blown away. I could cry. This thing f’ing rules.

Durdee
Common Wiggler

Post by Durdee » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:38 pm

Back Down the Path wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:35 pm
Ok so I got this and I’ve been playing around for an hour and I’m totally blown away. I could cry. This thing f’ing rules.
That’s how i felt, too. It’s really the best thing for what i love to do. The pristine audio quality and low latency have to be experienced to be understood. Welcome!
Last edited by Durdee on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:50 am

Based on many great posts in this thread, I got inspired and now put a set of basic waveforms in every folder. This includes a bunch of my most beloved wavetables, sine, square, sawtooth waveforms and samples of various constant voltages/DC offsets, each 6 seconds long. This way I have a complete set of synthesis tools at my disposal whenever I need them in a patch.

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:51 am

andybizarre wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:50 am
Based on many great posts in this thread, I got inspired and now put a set of basic waveforms in every folder. This includes a bunch of my most beloved wavetables, sine, square, sawtooth waveforms and samples of various constant voltages/DC offsets, each 6 seconds long. This way I have a complete set of synthesis tools at my disposal whenever I need them in a patch.
Good idea. Any chance you’d share them here?

hlmm
Common Wiggler

Post by hlmm » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:22 am

Almost out of topic:
Around 100 years ago, Karel Capek wrote his RUR play and invented/introduced to language word ROBOT. The name "R.U.R.", stands for Rossum's Universal Robots.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:27 am

drxcm wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:51 am
andybizarre wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:50 am
Good idea. Any chance you’d share them here?
It's insanely easy to just sample basic waveforms from any oscillator into any folder you're in.

I was up late going wild and the :love: - fest continues.

The pitch tracking is bonkers. 808 kick into melodic bassline in ~3 seconds. It also has some of that high end sparkle from classic samplers, depending on how gloriously shitty your samples are (loaded up some old SP1200 samples as a homage!). Tonight, I will try to get it playing piano triads with my Arpitecht/Triad combo with some voltage sequencing on the chord progression from Black Sequencer. I need some clean piano samples.

Oh and on top of sounding amazing its also ridiculously easy to use. Can't recommend it highly enough.

webhead311
Learning to Wiggle

Post by webhead311 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:13 pm

Okay I've been having quite a bit of bug issues with the latest update since it came out, specifically when loading samples. Here is a video of me using the new feature to browse samples from a different folder. after selecting some I go back to the channels page and half of my samples are crossed out while some that I didn't even select are loaded. Please fix this! As much as I love Rossum-Electro modules, this buggy software is just not a good look at all.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:17 pm

What's the bitrate of the files that don't work?
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

osten
Common Wiggler

Post by osten » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:12 pm

While I do think the A8 is probably one of the best sounding samplers in eurorack, my experience with the sampling has also been a bit “off”.

It’s close to being really amazing, just needs a little bit more care and attention around the UX and file management.

Should be possible to create temporary samples that get automatically cleared from the SDCard. This way you can sample something on a temporary basis, which is more suited for live performance. This would stop the SDCard from filling up with samples and also remove the pesky UI modal from popping up and asking you to save or discard the sample.

Also, on another note, it would be great to be able to apply track effects and track mixer settings to the monitored input. This way you could pitch bend or distort while you do SOS looping.
Because if you do some sampling while monitoring you get a dry signal. But once you press save it it goes immediately to Wet quite abruptly.

I feel that these are pretty straight forward things that could greatly enhance the instrument. Seems silly not to add them :)
Last edited by osten on Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:47 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:17 pm
What's the bitrate of the files that don't work?
32 floating.

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:55 pm

If you are experiencing an issue with any Rossum Electro-Music product, please consider updating your software and writing to us with your software version number and detailed steps to reproduce any potential bugs. We need to be able to recreate any potential bugs in order to understand and set about squashing them.

http://www.rossum-electro.com/support/s ... uest-form/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”