Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:53 pm

wrngtrls wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:47 pm
OHEXOH wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:17 pm
What's the bitrate of the files that don't work?
32 floating.
That's why they aren't working. They need to be 16bit / 24bit / 32bit integer (not floating). Weird that it previewed them though.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:17 pm

I've noticed there is ~1680 samples of silence at the start of each recorded sample regardless whether using trigger activated sampling or threshold based sampling. I think that's around 8.75ms if sampling at 192khz.

Is there any way to avoid this? Is there a quick way to edit this besides manually having to trim each sample? It's probably a job for a computer right?

hlmm
Common Wiggler

Post by hlmm » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:03 am

OHEXOH wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:17 pm
I've noticed there is ~1680 samples of silence at the start of each recorded sample regardless whether using trigger activated sampling or threshold based sampling. I think that's around 8.75ms if sampling at 192khz.Is there any way to avoid this? Is there a quick way to edit this besides manually having to trim each sample? It's probably a job for a computer right?
I avoided this by delaying the "start recording" trigger (used one of Assim's channels to do that). It would be nice to have the possibility to turn this feature off in general settings.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:07 pm

Nice tip though it doesn’t solve the threshold based sample recording.

scotchedegg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by scotchedegg » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:24 pm

A couple of feature requests that would make this excellent module extra useful for longer samples, particularly while playing live (unless of course i've missed something very obvious!)

1. In the sample and loop windows to be able to see the start and end points moving when shuttling or scrubbing is controlled by CV. Currently this only seems to be possible when moving the Data knob.
2. The option of being able to see where the playhead is in the sample and loop windows.

astromass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by astromass » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:00 pm

scotchedegg wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:24 pm
A couple of feature requests that would make this excellent module extra useful for longer samples, particularly while playing live (unless of course i've missed something very obvious!)

1. In the sample and loop windows to be able to see the start and end points moving when shuttling or scrubbing is controlled by CV. Currently this only seems to be possible when moving the Data knob.
2. The option of being able to see where the playhead is in the sample and loop windows.
+1
Have you sent these to Rossum?

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:16 pm

scotchedegg wrote:

+1
+1

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:21 am

i've asked for a moving playhead long ago in this thread but maybe Mr Rossum looked over it

The added samples come in on software 2.0 - it wasn't there in the very first iterations of the firmware
this was to make sure every sound/sample/transient was recorded

scotchedegg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by scotchedegg » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:03 am

astromass wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:00 pm
scotchedegg wrote:

+1
Have you sent these to Rossum?
No but i will do. The Rossum guys seem to check this forum regularly but either way it doesn't hurt to post here to see if an idea has merit.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:50 pm

wavejockey wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:21 am
The added samples come in on software 2.0 - it wasn't there in the very first iterations of the firmware
this was to make sure every sound/sample/transient was recorded
You're right - I thought I had read that somewhere (from pg 4 in the 2.0 update manual):
Rossum Electro A8 Update Manual wrote:A Sampling Pre-roll of 10 msec (to avoid the possibility of cutting off the very beginning of a sample)
I'd prefer it if this was adjustable (like the gate delay option in Utilities) as—for my system—it's too much and I end up with a gap (a noticeable gap when using the Assimi8or at fast trigger rates which is what this sampler is prized for).

I'll send this suggestion via their website.

THX

nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:09 pm

I was bummed reading the new "10 millisecond delay" in the 2.0 manual when it was released. It means that I would have to cut it out of every sample, right? But I honestly haven't noticed it in terms of slowing down my workflow. I think mainly because (in my experience) my samples don't always perfectly start where the transient starts and so editing start point is always part of my process. I'll have to set up a sampling patch and do research as I haven't intentionally looked for that 10ms gap.

transferpoint
butt-hole

Post by transferpoint » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:45 pm

I've searched the forum on this topic but wanted to make sure. Is the best way to apply "choke" still by switching zones? Or has there been an update that allows for assigning choke groups?

(I'm sure there's a way to choke a sound by using an external module and perhaps an envelope follower or something.)

Velazquez
Learning to Wiggle

folder name length

Post by Velazquez » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:49 am

Hello,
I have a problem, because some folders don't show sample files. I have the impression that it is about the length of the name of the folder itself. The files are under 47 characters long. Is there any limit to the length of the folder name in assimil8or?

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:36 pm

if value for attack or release time is 0.0000 and you send in -5 to +5 V (as a modulator), the sound doesn't change it's ENV properties
only when you change the (initial?) attack or release values a tiny bit, the change in ENV is (very/quite) noticeable
attack mod gain or release mod gain is +1.00

play & loop mode gated, attack start value = from ZeroV

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:32 pm

wavejockey wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:36 pm
if value for attack or release time is 0.0000 and you send in -5 to +5 V (as a modulator), the sound doesn't change it's ENV properties
only when you change the (initial?) attack or release values a tiny bit, the change in ENV is (very/quite) noticeable
attack mod gain or release mod gain is +1.00

play & loop mode gated, attack start value = from ZeroV
I'd let Rossum know via their webform. They're very good at looking into the issue and getting back with a response.

hlmm
Common Wiggler

Post by hlmm » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:59 am

wavejockey wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:36 pm
attack mod gain or release mod gain is +1.00...
I think it behaves as a VCA - if your input is 0 (initial value in this case), even if you apply modulation CV, output will still be 0.

fylthymcnasty
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fylthymcnasty » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:41 pm

After only using the first 4 channels for a while I have now discovered that my channel seven doesn't respond to pitch correctly, compared to other channels it is doing it's own thing. I'm going to calibrate it, I have read that section of the manual; one suggestion is to use a Control Forge, which I can't afford. What other options are available to me which are accurate in generating the required calibration voltages (+4.000V and -4.000V) - in a module or something external?

djdiscord
Common Wiggler

Post by djdiscord » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:57 pm

fylthymcnasty wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:41 pm
After only using the first 4 channels for a while I have now discovered that my channel seven doesn't respond to pitch correctly, compared to other channels it is doing it's own thing. I'm going to calibrate it, I have read that section of the manual; one suggestion is to use a Control Forge, which I can't afford. What other options are available to me which are accurate in generating the required calibration voltages (+4.000V and -4.000V) - in a module or something external?
Some of my pitches were pretty wonky too and the calibration fixed it. Do you have a decent voltmeter? Any sequencer/keyboard will generate a steady voltage, lots of other sources will work too. I used a Mordax Data as it will generate DC voltage and has a voltmeter. Send a signal higher than 4v and use an attenuator with a voltmeter to get it right to 4.000, perhaps an inverter to get the -4v? There are lots of options. As long as you get it close it will do much better, my calibration was out on lots of the jacks and I bought mine brand new, works great now.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:06 pm

Yeah anything with a steady DC offset and a reliable meter will do. I’ve often used a Planar and meter to calibrate various modules.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:11 pm

Anyone have problems getting longer recorded samples to loop? I have them in one shot mode, and the proper loop option, but the sample stops after it plays once.

fylthymcnasty
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fylthymcnasty » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:59 pm

djdiscord wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:57 pm
fylthymcnasty wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:41 pm
Some of my pitches were pretty wonky too and the calibration fixed it. Do you have a decent voltmeter? Any sequencer/keyboard will generate a steady voltage, lots of other sources will work too. I used a Mordax Data as it will generate DC voltage and has a voltmeter. Send a signal higher than 4v and use an attenuator with a voltmeter to get it right to 4.000, perhaps an inverter to get the -4v? There are lots of options. As long as you get it close it will do much better, my calibration was out on lots of the jacks and I bought mine brand new, works great now.
Thanks djdiscord and Sinamsis.

I do have a decent multimeter. I guess I could take a patch cable, cut off a plug at one end, strip the outer plastic to expose the wires and then connect those to the prongs on the multimeter. Oh, hang-on... there would only be a copper core and a shield, right? I need to connect to the positive and negative at the multimeter. There's probably a thread about this.

So, read this on another thread...

"If your voltmeter has clips you simply need to make sure the positive lead is clipped to the tip of the output cable whose voltage your measuring and the sleeve is clipped to the negative".

Sounds about right then?

djdiscord
Common Wiggler

Post by djdiscord » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:38 pm

fylthymcnasty wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:59 pm

Sounds about right then?
Yeah that’ll work. You can just touch the leads of the voltmeter to the TS connectors on the cable itself as well if you don’t want to kill a cable.

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:45 pm

If you have a Disting, the adder (A1) can put out pretty accurate voltages. WMD Volt as well, but that’s less common.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:30 am

Could you use DC out from the Assimil8or itself? If so, then you would just need an appropriate DC sample. I’m thinking pitching down a 5v signal by 1 octave could work... would it?

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:00 am

perhaps i missed this somewhere along the way, but is there any way to record a sample and quick pitch it up or down an exact number of semitones? say, if i captured something on the fly, and want to pitch it down an octave, without having to dial down 12 semitones and having all that pitching in between...would be a very useful live use case

(apologies if this was covered, this thread is deep like the ocean)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”