WMD Performance Mixer or Befaco Hexmix System

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:24 am

Regarding WMD PM, can somebody clarify: it has 2 mono returns. And one stereo end-of-chain return. In the manual it’s written: “ Plugging in here will cut the main signal going to the output”. How can I use it then? Can I have any stereo return in this mixer?

Besides that stereo channels 7 and 8 have sends as well. Does it mean stereo-to-mono than to selected send?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:49 am

Stereo return is easy, just use the "mix in" stereo jacks. Alternatively you can use any stereo channel, in which case you can stack FX and try feedback experiments. The stereo end of chain return is for something you'd want on your entire mix, like WMD's MSCL compressor. I have the stereo end of chain send going first into Overseer, then MSCL, then back. The whole mix goes through this at all times.

Also of note, the PM works fine with pedals without the need for an in/out module. Just be careful what kind of volume you send into the pedal, but then the PM brings it back up no problem.

I love the PM. It has really enabled me to work better and faster with the modular. It's really nice to use and all the CV options are great. You might only use them once in a while, but then they really come in handy. If you have some EQing in your rack the stereo ou really sounds very good already; I don't always feel the need to multitrack.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:56 am

macio wrote:Regarding WMD PM, can somebody clarify: it has 2 mono returns. And one stereo end-of-chain return. In the manual it’s written: “ Plugging in here will cut the main signal going to the output”. How can I use it then? Can I have any stereo return in this mixer?

Besides that stereo channels 7 and 8 have sends as well. Does it mean stereo-to-mono than to selected send?
The AUX sends 1 and 2 are mono sends. So yes, the stereo channels 7-10 send to those in mono as well.

Two mono returns are provided, but there’s no obligation to use them. For example, if you are using a stereo effect, you can bring the stereo return to either of the stereo channels on the main unit or the PM Channels expander, or you can use the stereo Mix In jacks. Those two mono returns, incidentally, just sum to the mix, so you can use them as additional mono inputs if you want and attenuate them upstream.

The end of chain stereo SEND jacks simply output a copy of the mix at that point. If you patch into the end of chain stereo RETURN, whatever you patch there replaces the mix at that point on its way to the master attenuator. The purpose of this stereo send/return pair is to integrate compressors (MSCL), filters (Overseer), reverb, etc. over the entire mix. You can use it otherwise as you see fit.

The send/return architecture of the PM is designed around the typical AUX effects situation where the effect is on full wet—your dry signal is already available on its own channel, so there’s arguably no reason to support a stereo dry path. Precious few effects do anything interesting with stereo input information, anyways—most just sum the inputs to mono before processing. If you actually need to send a stereo pair through an effect with the WMD PM as your output stage, then you might want to patch a submit upstream. I picked up an X-PAN specifically for this purpose.

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:57 am

@Tumulishroomaroom, @mdoudoroff thanks for clarification.
Actually I'm ok with fact that 2 stereo inputs can send in mono - it's enough for me. I was still figuring out how I could do it in CGM creative mixer. I'm still considering between both of them.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:31 am

macio wrote:@Tumulishroomaroom, @mdoudoroff thanks for clarification.
Actually I'm ok with fact that 2 stereo inputs can send in mono - it's enough for me. I was still figuring out how I could do it in CGM creative mixer. I'm still considering between both of them.
CGM has an excellent AUX system, with VCAs galore: you’ve got VCAs over each (mono) SEND for each channel, then a VCA over the (mono or stereo) RETURN in the GROUP module.

By contrast, the WMD PM has a VCA on each of the summed SENDS (outbound), but only exposes individual channel SEND VCAs via expanders: the PM Mutes expander gets you cv jacks for controlling send VCAs for channels 1-4; the PM Channels expander includes send VCA cv jacks for both its channels.

CGM has one significant advantage of being able to send the same channel to more than one AUX, whereas with the WMD, each channel can only send to AUX1 or AUX2—a limitation you have to patch around. Instead, PM offers channel density, including as many as four true stereo channels.

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:54 am

@mdoudoroff thanks for laying it down so clearly.
When you say "including as many as four true stereo channels" you mean with 2 stereo channels expander?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:08 pm

macio wrote:@mdoudoroff thanks for laying it down so clearly.
When you say "including as many as four true stereo channels" you mean with 2 stereo channels expander?
Exactly, with the expander. I have that PM Channels expander and am quite pleased with it. It has gobs of gain available, and full CV control. I had the PM Mutes, too, but I didn’t keep it because it didn’t fit my process: I’m sure it works great for live use, particularly with the sort of techno-ish stuff the WMD folks gravitate towards, but for my stuff, audio muting comes too late in the chain, and offers me little I can’t get by simply flipping the A/B switches on the PM. (I need to do most of my “muting” at the trigger/gate level, upstream.)

One wrinkle to ponder with the CGM is that you have to decide how many GROUP units to get, and how you want to divide up the channels amongst them. Obviously, you can reconfigure that whenever you want, but the choices do dictate the possible signal paths.

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:44 am

Help!

I decided on CGM, I received it today. After I mounted everything and wanted to test something on stereo aux in - i connected mono jack into it. And it stuck! :doh:

What should I do? Try to use force? Send it back? Take it to some technician? What a shame!

goldi
Common Wiggler

Post by goldi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:51 am

macio wrote:Help!

I decided on CGM, I received it today. After I mounted everything and wanted to test something on stereo aux in - i connected mono jack into it. And it stuck! :doh:

What should I do? Try to use force? Send it back? Take it to some technician? What a shame!
Pull it out

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Re: WMD Performance Mixer or Befaco Hexmix System

Post by Mr. Aloud » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:58 pm

One thing to mention is the power consumption. I´ve got the PM LE (plain PM + channels expander on a single faceplate).
+12V = 510mA
-12V = 490mA.

This is giving me issues in my current build, where PM would be a submixer for the drum section. The issues are not so much because of WMD, more because the specs of that case are not very high to begin with (Rackbrute). So if you have a similar setup with a weak PSU, prepare to get a better one like StrongPWR or move to a different case altogether (which is what I strongly think about.)

Don´t get me wrong: I like the PM so much that I´m currently undecided whether I will get another one as the main mixer (or mix externally). It´s just that the richness of the PM comes at a cost, so you need to plan accordingly.

Beface uses
+12V 243 mA
-12V 152 mA
for base + expander.

Not that big a surprise, as it offers only 6 channels, using two of them is getting close to the PM levels then.
I´m happy when it rains - for if I´m not happy, it rains as well.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”