Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times
Posts: 2976
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post by hexinverter » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:18 am

It lives!!!

[video][/video]

Sorry for the bad a/v quality - in crunch mode here with the pre-production prototypes getting ready for Synthplex and Superbooth - but wanted to shoot a short clip on the lab bench to share.

Release date TBA as soon as production is scheduled (ETA: around/after Superbooth19!)

More news and details forthcoming :cloud: :goo: :goo: :goo:



EDIT: copying this bottom bit over from another thread, since someone asked after seeing the video!....
hawkfuzz wrote:Range switch is new. What else is different?
Yes! Will be updating all the info soon and doing a new video overview! Here's a quick summary:

As you noticed, range switch on the modulator! This replaced the simple "either or" LFO/audio switch for the range. It is a precision octave switch, which spans quite a few octaves to quickly step through modulator:carrier ratios and to go between audio and LFO mode. It has a momentary action in either direction. So one bump up, or one bump down per octave. Up to +8 octaves in audio mode, then once stepped below octave 0 it switches into LFO mode, going all the way down to -10 octaves at the lowest setting. Although it's not shown in the video, the display changes state to let you know whether it's LFO/audio, and approximately where you are in terms of octave stepping.

The cores are no longer CEM3340. This was a hard call to make, and it was only after much time trying different approaches (owing a lot to the delay over the past year), did I decide to go another route. I spent a great deal of time attempting to wrangle a good, solid wide octave range out of them which remained stable over temperature. Not going to happen, as it turns out - or not without a bazillion trim pots (silly for a retail eurorack module - but ok for DIY projects, no doubt!). They were really designed for use in microcontroller applications, or where more than 300-500ppm/C stability over time of drift isn't too annoying. Absolutely stellar for 1980-something, or in a polysynth or module with a microcontroller feeding it autotune-like offsets, or in a VCO that's not got dual oscillators and needs a whole tonne of trims anyway and can afford the expense of adding ~6+ more of them just to keep the VCOs solid, but not up to par with modern, stable eurorack VCOs. Went with a discrete core instead, which worked out better for the phase modulation "accumulator" in the wavefolder anyway - as the ramp/saw wave has a nicer rise/fall time and less glitching than the 3340. It has even more range than a CEM3340 could.

No more "soft-ish" sync. Just hard sync. REALLY hard sync :)

In lieu of that, there are some new things added. Any or all of the ramp/saw outputs can have their phase inverted at the output jack. For the Modulation oscillator, this means you get to switch between "ramp up or ramp down" depending how you look at it - good for LFO modulation - and good for audio-rate basslines when you want to hard sync a note each step of a sequence. There's a button that you simply click to cycle through each VCO's saw being inverted or not. All possible combinations are cycled through, and indicated via illumination when inverted, just like the inverting CV indicators.

Lots of tiny little tweaks inside the module that overall make it more enjoyable and responsive - still some things to nail down before production but it's reaaaally close!

Will have updated panel/feature-set + videos + audios to come soon!
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

Jee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:50 am

Post by Jee » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm

surprisingly no answer after such update, but I'm very happy to discover it now :)
I like the options this VCO seems to bring in
To me it's in top 3 most interesting VCO on the market (or about to be).
I will look forward for the release! :)

Not fan of the design though, the flames... well.... :hmm:
For some reason it made me think of Hokuto No Ken.
"You don't know it yet but your bank account is already dead"
:despair:
:->:

User avatar
SweetNuthin
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:45 pm
Location: Delray Beach

Post by SweetNuthin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:05 pm

I really look forward to this release.. The early demos were really great, i hope that with all the changes made it will still sound like in those demos

Jee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:50 am

Post by Jee » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:10 pm

considered the efforts they seem to put in, I'm sure the sound will be great in any case!

User avatar
motorhead412
Common Wiggler
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:25 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by motorhead412 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 pm

hexinverter wrote:It lives!!!

[video][/video]

Sorry for the bad a/v quality - in crunch mode here with the pre-production prototypes getting ready for Synthplex and Superbooth - but wanted to shoot a short clip on the lab bench to share.
Regardless of the A/V quality, it sounds like a beast!

User avatar
Pumping-Alien
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:54 am
Contact:

Another sign of life in youtube

Post by Pumping-Alien » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:44 am

I saw another Mindphaser in action on youtube: https://youtu.be/afty_8qPSmM

User avatar
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times
Posts: 2976
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post by hexinverter » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Jee wrote:surprisingly no answer after such update, but I'm very happy to discover it now :)
I like the options this VCO seems to bring in
To me it's in top 3 most interesting VCO on the market (or about to be).
I will look forward for the release! :)

Not fan of the design though, the flames... well.... :hmm:
For some reason it made me think of Hokuto No Ken.
"You don't know it yet but your bank account is already dead"
:despair:
:->:
Hey that's great to hear, thanks! It's getting quite close to production now.

Flames!? Those are zig-zaggy things :cloud: :deadbanana:
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

User avatar
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times
Posts: 2976
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Another sign of life in youtube

Post by hexinverter » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Pumping-Alien wrote:I saw another Mindphaser in action on youtube: https://youtu.be/afty_8qPSmM
Oh yeah! Thanks for posting.

Quite a few more lately on the Instagram feed as well: https://www.instagram.com/hexinverter/

Although I'm totally slammed with Superbooth prep right now, will be filming proper demo and walkthrough videos after the convention :)

:nana: :nana: :nana:
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

User avatar
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times
Posts: 2976
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post by hexinverter » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:30 pm

SweetNuthin wrote:I really look forward to this release.. The early demos were really great, i hope that with all the changes made it will still sound like in those demos
It will, yes! The waveshaping section hasn't changed other than making the controls more stable and nice to use, and without a doubt that's the most unique part of its sound. Other changes were made with that in mind - keeping it sounding the same as initial demonstrations before the changes - just, performing better :)

More demos to come :cloud:
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

User avatar
matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 9698
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:12 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Post by matttech » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:27 pm

Hmmmmm.... :hmm:

User avatar
matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 9698
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:12 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Post by matttech » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:28 pm

Looking forward to checking out videos of this bad boy when they emerge

User avatar
SweetNuthin
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:45 pm
Location: Delray Beach

Post by SweetNuthin » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:09 am

hexinverter wrote:
SweetNuthin wrote:I really look forward to this release.. The early demos were really great, i hope that with all the changes made it will still sound like in those demos
It will, yes! The waveshaping section hasn't changed other than making the controls more stable and nice to use, and without a doubt that's the most unique part of its sound. Other changes were made with that in mind - keeping it sounding the same as initial demonstrations before the changes - just, performing better :)

More demos to come :cloud:
:banana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :bananaguitar:

Let's Rock and Roll

[video][/video]

User avatar
mnchrme
Common Wiggler
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Countryside, Czechia
Contact:

Post by mnchrme » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:57 pm

So good. Waveshaping + pulses. Nice panel design! :party:


User avatar
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times
Posts: 2976
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post by hexinverter » Sat May 04, 2019 9:46 am

Virusinstaller wrote:It is nearly Superbooth time.
Let's do this!!!
Will you be there? :hyper:

Yesss! I've been a bit backlogged with all the things prepping for that and other stuff so haven't yet gotten some prim-o proper overviews and demos done yet.

But they will come after Superbooth. And before shipping time. :)

The aim is undoubtedly to get this into everyone's hands to play with as soon as possible but also I won't let it get released until it feels perfect (erm, as perfect as it can be in terms of design vision, rather). The control feel/ranges are still being tweaked a little, and some aesthetic tweaks are being done on the panel and UI elements which don't affect functionality, before going to production.

These aren't big changes at all - which is why we're so close to production! But as it comes to the final adjustments, I've slowed myself a bit in order to contemplate each adjustment as deep as I can, to try and compensate for my own excitement to have it finally available. I'm of course trying to do this as fast as possible, as I find it's good to make a little adjustment that seems like a good idea to make a control perform better, feel it out for a bit, and then sleep on it in case something better, or an oversight comes to mind. Not recursively to infinity of course - or else this would be vapourware ahahaha - but to a point where it feels balanced. Takes time, I guess (broken record here, but yeah, I really did make a pretty erroneous estimation of the original planned availability date! - lesson learned. :hmm: )

I'm expecting this next short-run of pre-production prototypes once I'm happy with the tweaks to be the last, and let me enter full production directly after verification - and there's a very very high probability that will be the case - but also a non-zero possibility that it won't be the case, if something very unexpected emerges.

For that reason, still don't have a concrete ship date to announce - but I will be making lots of noise to let everyone know when I DO :cloud:

Sorry for the wait all and I really hope once people get their fingers, feet, cats or whatever on Mindphaser, that they feel it was worth the wait :goo:

Will have more bits to share in this thread as things move along. Hope to see some of you stop by the Superbooth table and check it out in person and let me know what you think!
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

User avatar
Virusinstaller
Common Wiggler
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Australia

Post by Virusinstaller » Sat May 04, 2019 11:26 pm

Thanks for the update, unfortunately I won't be making Superbooth this year. Being in Australia it is not exactly a short drive. But I will spend the entire weekend on You Tube watching videos as they are uploaded.
Certainly best to make sure you are happy before release!! Looking great :)

Accent
Common Wiggler
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:05 pm

Post by Accent » Wed May 08, 2019 11:03 pm

hexinverter wrote:
Virusinstaller wrote:It is nearly Superbooth time.
Let's do this!!!
Will you be there? :hyper:

Yesss! I've been a bit backlogged with all the things prepping for that and other stuff so haven't yet gotten some prim-o proper overviews and demos done yet.

But they will come after Superbooth. And before shipping time. :)

The aim is undoubtedly to get this into everyone's hands to play with as soon as possible but also I won't let it get released until it feels perfect (erm, as perfect as it can be in terms of design vision, rather). The control feel/ranges are still being tweaked a little, and some aesthetic tweaks are being done on the panel and UI elements which don't affect functionality, before going to production.

These aren't big changes at all - which is why we're so close to production! But as it comes to the final adjustments, I've slowed myself a bit in order to contemplate each adjustment as deep as I can, to try and compensate for my own excitement to have it finally available. I'm of course trying to do this as fast as possible, as I find it's good to make a little adjustment that seems like a good idea to make a control perform better, feel it out for a bit, and then sleep on it in case something better, or an oversight comes to mind. Not recursively to infinity of course - or else this would be vapourware ahahaha - but to a point where it feels balanced. Takes time, I guess (broken record here, but yeah, I really did make a pretty erroneous estimation of the original planned availability date! - lesson learned. :hmm: )

I'm expecting this next short-run of pre-production prototypes once I'm happy with the tweaks to be the last, and let me enter full production directly after verification - and there's a very very high probability that will be the case - but also a non-zero possibility that it won't be the case, if something very unexpected emerges.

For that reason, still don't have a concrete ship date to announce - but I will be making lots of noise to let everyone know when I DO :cloud:

Sorry for the wait all and I really hope once people get their fingers, feet, cats or whatever on Mindphaser, that they feel it was worth the wait :goo:

Will have more bits to share in this thread as things move along. Hope to see some of you stop by the Superbooth table and check it out in person and let me know what you think!
Considering that the Mindphaser is being shown with some frequency at the trade shows and seems to be getting closer to release...is there any rough ETA in mind? There’s been a big Mindphaser hole in my racks, and while I’m holding out I’m getting a little antsy for it...like, maybe at least in 2019?

User avatar
suthnear
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: located

Post by suthnear » Fri May 17, 2019 6:35 am

Nothing from superbooth about this?

User avatar
Bobo Fret
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:55 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Bobo Fret » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:08 am

Mindphaser and the Klavis Quadigy...killing me with the wait, man! Killing me, I tell you.

User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4986
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by lisa » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 am

Bobo Fret: What is it about the Mindphaser that makes you feel that you have to wait for it instead of getting any of the many readily available complex oscillators?
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡


User avatar
Bobo Fret
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:55 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by Bobo Fret » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:53 am

The heart wants what the heart wants.

User avatar
oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 779
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Post by oldenjon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:01 pm

What? I thought it already happened and these were out in the wild. Mindphaser Forever :mrgreen: :hide:
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4986
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by lisa » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:37 pm

Bobo Fret wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants.
And I guess your heard doesn’t want a complex oscillator right now, your heart want to wait a few more months. ;)
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡


User avatar
MvK
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Berlin

Post by MvK » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:26 am

lisa wrote:
Bobo Fret wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants.
And I guess your heard doesn’t want a complex oscillator right now, your heart want to wait a few more months. ;)
there are thousands of good reasons to wait for the release of a certain module.

User avatar
Zentek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Zentek » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:25 am

Bobo Fret wrote:Mindphaser and the Klavis Quadigy...killing me with the wait, man! Killing me, I tell you.
I got confirmation yesterday that the Quadigy is in production at the factory. Thank you for your patience. :zen:
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”