Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
versipellis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by versipellis » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:57 am

hexinverter wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:44 pm
Wee update!
  1. hardware is very nearly frozen for production. Doing what should be final schematic and board reviews.
  2. artist preview prototypes arrived with a couple of content creators. Lots of video/audio stuff to come once production milestone is hit.
For now, here's a new 2h long livestream with Mindphaser on bassline duties.

Any updates here? :D I'm excited for more videos!
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [4x Frap Tools Plus cases (6Ux84hp)]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234975

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by cackland » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:03 am

There was a update on their instagram.. just stating another 'final' panel design. :0

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by cackland » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 am

Here:

User avatar
nios
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:32 pm
Location: lost in a dream

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by nios » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:41 am

Very curious to see how this sounds compared to Frap Brenso, hopefully won't be long.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by versipellis » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:41 pm

cackland wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:03 am
There was a update on their instagram.. just stating another 'final' panel design. :0
I'm curious if his file names are now all like "Mindphaser Final version v2 final final Really final now"
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [4x Frap Tools Plus cases (6Ux84hp)]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234975

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by cackland » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:11 pm

versipellis wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:41 pm
cackland wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:03 am
There was a update on their instagram.. just stating another 'final' panel design. :0
I'm curious if his file names are now all like "Mindphaser Final version v2 final final Really final now"
That wouldn't be the so off the mark for some. Filename management is a thing

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1596
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: lovettsville, va
Contact:

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by dooj88 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:44 pm

cackland wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:11 pm
versipellis wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:41 pm
cackland wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:03 am
There was a update on their instagram.. just stating another 'final' panel design. :0
I'm curious if his file names are now all like "Mindphaser Final version v2 final final Really final now"
That wouldn't be the so off the mark for some. Filename management is a thing
i seent it

"i need help finding a file.."
"ok, where did you save it last?"
"In my documents"

well, here's the latest: workstinks.xlsx (Copy)(Copy)(Copy)(Copy)(Copy)(Copy)(Copy)(Copy)(Copy)(Copy)(Autosave01005567)

User avatar
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times
Posts: 2976
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by hexinverter » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:19 am

versipellis wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:41 pm
I'm curious if his file names are now all like "Mindphaser Final version v2 final final Really final now"
:hihi: :sb:
Pretty much! The more "final"s I add the more likely it will seal the deal :cloud:

Coordinating the versioning between panel, sch/PCB and firmware has been the most annoying part.
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

User avatar
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times
Posts: 2976
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by hexinverter » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:44 am

Hey all! Current state of things!

dev/production updates
- final design-for-manufacture changes done, as mentioned last update. Production candidate PCBs and parts are ordered, just waiting on those. Everything is running slower, post-COVID.
- final tweaks to panel design made. Had to deal with some possible mechanical interference on parts behind the panel which could surface when going into production. Those have been ordered to verify all is 100% (as seen in Instagram post someone kindly linked, hehe)

As soon as those pieces come together, production planning begins. Should be a matter of weeks from now to verify the hardware. :party:
Would hope to have some news around August in terms of an idea when it is going to finally come about. Maybe sooner, or later. I'm being loosey-goosey until I can say stuff for sure.
versipellis wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:57 am
Any updates here? :D I'm excited for more videos!
videos

Dash Glitch has been jamming away in his corner of the YouTubes with it in more streams, since he's one of a couple of people with a preview prototype racked. Here's a gooder since that last one quoted. Doing more mid/lead-y alien sounds with it:



He's doing a ~30 minute introduction, exploration and walkthrough of the module, coming from the perspective of someone who is moderately fresh to complex signal generators/VCOs, and was given no user manual or anything to work from. That one should be coming out in the not-too-distant future.

Will be doing in-house as well, and the other usual suspects more than likely will turn out some videos. I've just been swamped with all the things and should have more room to breathe once manufacturing kicks off.
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by versipellis » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:38 am

hexinverter wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:19 am
versipellis wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:41 pm
I'm curious if his file names are now all like "Mindphaser Final version v2 final final Really final now"
:hihi: :sb:
Pretty much! The more "final"s I add the more likely it will seal the deal :cloud:

Coordinating the versioning between panel, sch/PCB and firmware has been the most annoying part.
I knew it! LOL - I'd love to see what the "last" file name ends up being before it hits production!
hexinverter wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:44 am
versipellis wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:57 am
Any updates here? :D I'm excited for more videos!
videos

Dash Glitch has been jamming away in his corner of the YouTubes with it in more streams, since he's one of a couple of people with a preview prototype racked. Here's a gooder since that last one quoted. Doing more mid/lead-y alien sounds with it:



He's doing a ~30 minute introduction, exploration and walkthrough of the module, coming from the perspective of someone who is moderately fresh to complex signal generators/VCOs, and was given no user manual or anything to work from. That one should be coming out in the not-too-distant future.

Will be doing in-house as well, and the other usual suspects more than likely will turn out some videos. I've just been swamped with all the things and should have more room to breathe once manufacturing kicks off.
I've been stalking his YouTube for a while now! After the first video he did with it, I subscribed and get notifications for his uploads now 8-) I wandered away from the idea of a complex osc for a while, but hearing the sound demos of his patching made me fall in love with the Mindphaser sound again.

I'm excited to see that 30 minute video from him, it'll be the first "full" complex osc module I get. Would love to see Loopop get his hands on one of these, his video walkthroughs are incredibly thorough for breaking down complex things.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [4x Frap Tools Plus cases (6Ux84hp)]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234975

noisewreck
Common Wiggler
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by noisewreck » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:58 am

This is on my list!

noisewreck
Common Wiggler
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by noisewreck » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:41 pm

Is this thing a thing yet?

Will there be a preorder when it is a thing or will there be a mad dash when it becomes a thing?

User avatar
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times
Posts: 2976
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by hexinverter » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:42 am

noisewreck wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:41 pm
Is this thing a thing yet?
Very close :hihi: not in shelves yet though!

The hardware design has been complete for awhile (as you may or may not have surmised from recent small updates).

It's just been getting little bits massaged into place on the double sided SMD, 6 layer PCB to make it suitable for mass production.

Verification hardware is being/has been run on the pick and place and selective solder machines this week.
Sounds like the small lot of units should be built up and shipped over to me pretty soon!

If all checks pass on those, then there's nothing left to do on the hardware/design-for-manufacture end of things and we can start planning to build full quantity and do all the other stuff that comes with that phase of things.

So. Still not a date to say yet. But could be late summer/early fall (for these northern regions I mean) if all goes to plan.
noisewreck wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:41 pm
Will there be a preorder when it is a thing or will there be a mad dash when it becomes a thing?
There will more than likely be a preordering option available yes! Will have more details when it's time for that (ie not until all of the ducks are very much in a row).
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

User avatar
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times
Posts: 2976
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by hexinverter » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:49 am

versipellis wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:38 am
I've been stalking his YouTube for a while now! After the first video he did with it, I subscribed and get notifications for his uploads now 8-) I wandered away from the idea of a complex osc for a while, but hearing the sound demos of his patching made me fall in love with the Mindphaser sound again.

I'm excited to see that 30 minute video from him, it'll be the first "full" complex osc module I get. Would love to see Loopop get his hands on one of these, his video walkthroughs are incredibly thorough for breaking down complex things.
Ah cool, awesome! I think he was in the same boat when he received the Mindphaser to do the video with - in terms of it being the first full analog complex signal generator in his setup. Should be a good one.

Loopop has some nice videos. Not sure we've been in touch though, so I'm not certain one will get in front of them for review.
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

noisewreck
Common Wiggler
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by noisewreck » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:53 pm

hexinverter wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:42 am
There will more than likely be a preordering option available yes! Will have more details when it's time for that (ie not until all of the ducks are very much in a row).
Excellent! Preordering will definitely be a welcome option.

Glad to hear things are progressing nicely.

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2681
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:36 pm

I am ready to throw down on this NOW!
Really impressive demos on their Instagram.
I’ve tried a few complex oscillators, none i completely gelled with. And none of the frap tools one’s demos really grabbed me. Really hopeful for this one though judging from most of what I’ve heard so far and the feature set.
Should pair nice with natural gate too!

Will be keeping my eye out for that pre order!

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2681
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by brandonlogic » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:42 am

Question though, why no sine wave out on the second oscillator? Is that sine normalized to the folding/shaping section?

Edit- nevermind I see the sine/saw wave selection for the shaper now.

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2681
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:07 pm

I'm interested to hear how the TZFM was implemented in this vco. After learning abut the different was it can/cant be achieved in this thread really curious to see how they did it. It's interesting that there is no symmetry control, which is found on most TZFM vcos.
the TZFM discussion: "Intellijel Rubicon 2 vs SSF Zero Point Oscillator" viewtopic.php?f=16&t=225911

comacomfort
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:56 am
Location: Canada

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by comacomfort » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:07 pm
I'm interested to hear how the TZFM was implemented in this vco. After learning abut the different was it can/cant be achieved in this thread really curious to see how they did it. It's interesting that there is no symmetry control, which is found on most TZFM vcos.
the TZFM discussion: "Intellijel Rubicon 2 vs SSF Zero Point Oscillator" viewtopic.php?f=16&t=225911
Its not a tzfm oscillator just a regular lin/exp fm one, so it wont have a symmetry control

its got a through zero phase modulation bus and i assume thats similar to the well known phase modulation circuit thats in the FMaid By happy nerding or the Sinulator by West oakland synthesis. Where a saw wave pushes the other wave through a wavefolder type circuit, that essentially exactly replicates digital Phase modulation.

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2681
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:50 pm

comacomfort wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 pm
brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:07 pm
I'm interested to hear how the TZFM was implemented in this vco. After learning abut the different was it can/cant be achieved in this thread really curious to see how they did it. It's interesting that there is no symmetry control, which is found on most TZFM vcos.
the TZFM discussion: "Intellijel Rubicon 2 vs SSF Zero Point Oscillator" viewtopic.php?f=16&t=225911
Its not a tzfm oscillator just a regular lin/exp fm one, so it wont have a symmetry control

its got a through zero phase modulation bus and i assume thats similar to the well known phase modulation circuit thats in the FMaid By happy nerding or the Sinulator by West oakland synthesis. Where a saw wave pushes the other wave through a wavefolder type circuit, that essentially exactly replicates digital Phase modulation.
ahh for some reason i thought it could do both. thanks!

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”