Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by Multi Grooves » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:12 am

studio460 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:50 pm
davidjames wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:13 am
studio460 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:30 pm
I am really looking forward to this release. I know that you're taking pre-orders on your site, but can I assume you'll be also shipping stock to US dealers as well (e.g., Detroit Modular)?
DM has their preorder up already, why wait! https://www.detroitmodular.com/hexinver ... haser.html :party:
Thanks! My DM sales contact already set me up!

By the way, for everyone who put in their pre-order, how did you decide on the Mindphaser over the other contenders? Which of the other complex oscillators did you choose it over and why?

Not being too familiar with complex oscillators in general, I thought that the TZ-PM bus being "independent from the actual VCO-cores themselves" is a unique and highly beneficial feature; i.e., As their demo video states, "So that when you apply linear-FM to the carrier, it's actually completely independent of the phase-modulation occurring . . . [and the] modulation oscillator's sine-wave output is by default, normalled, to provide the phase-modulation source." —Mindphaser Technical Demonstration.

I'm in a similar boat; I don't own one or know too much about comex osc or the numerous variations of the tech. But the early Mindphaser demos caught my ear. I haven't gone on a massive journey listening to the other complex modules, so there that. Getting overly finicky- in my case at least about specs is a complete waste of time tbh. I'll prob take the plunge when they show up in the UK.

@Stacy: do any uk dealers have or are getting these?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

FS: SSF Entity

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:50 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:12 am
I'm in a similar boat; I don't own one or know too much about comex osc or the numerous variations of the tech. But the early Mindphaser demos caught my ear . . .
Exactly! Me too! There should be some sort of updated "complex oscillator showdown" thread or something. I just took it as, Hexinverter, a bunch of clever people, had three years to develop this sort of second-generation of complex oscillators. They were able to study the best of what was already on the market and make their improvements. This, in addition to the contributions of their own ingenuity and innovation.

I think the main contenders are the three I mentioned (e.g., Hexinverter, Frap Tools, and Endorphin.es). My cursory assessment was that the Mindphaser UI makes a lot of sense: Wavefolding in the upper-right, phase-modulation on the lower-right, etc. Plus the manufacturer's technical demonstration is a model example of how a clear, concise product overview can be so helpful in aiding potential customers' understanding of a new product.

Both the Frap Tools' and Endorphin.es' front-panels, while beautiful, are bit more cryptic (Frap Tools' in particular). With such a complex module, I think the UI is even more important, so even though I'm not thoroughly versed on all the comparable features of the competing modules, the Mindphaser just makes immediate sense, which I think is a key indicator of potential user-satisfaction.
Last edited by studio460 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Back Down the Path
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:16 pm

I just wanted to stop by and say that I pre ordered and I’m wildly excited about finally having a complex oscillator again (and this one is gonna be bonkers).

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:43 pm

Back Down the Path wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:16 pm
I just wanted to stop by and say that I pre ordered and I’m wildly excited about finally having a complex oscillator again (and this one is gonna be bonkers).
Ya think so? I just pre-ordered mine this morning, but through a dealer (so I suppose it's not guaranteed). It's a pricey unit, so I used all my points plus a discount so it wasn't so bad. This is to be my last "big module" purchase (I chose this over the E520), other than the ECR-1 which I still haven't been able to pull the trigger on. (But that's an "effect" so it doesn't really count, right?)

I'm excited as well as it's my first complex oscillator. Though, as I posited in this thread, I've been having a lot of fun making my own complex-oscillator patches out of individual modules and been having a blast doing it. So, I wasn't quite sure I even "needed" this in my rack (like we "need" any of this!). Well, cheers to us, and our (hopefully) soon-to-be-delivered Mindphasers!

pekbro
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:07 am

studio460 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:43 pm
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:16 pm
This is to be my last "big module" purchase
Suuure... :lol:

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:37 am

studio460 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:50 pm
davidjames wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:13 am
studio460 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:30 pm
I am really looking forward to this release. I know that you're taking pre-orders on your site, but can I assume you'll be also shipping stock to US dealers as well (e.g., Detroit Modular)?
DM has their preorder up already, why wait! https://www.detroitmodular.com/hexinver ... haser.html :party:
Thanks! My DM sales contact already set me up!

By the way, for everyone who put in their pre-order, how did you decide on the Mindphaser over the other contenders? Which of the other complex oscillators did you choose it over and why?

Not being too familiar with complex oscillators in general, I thought that the TZ-PM bus being "independent from the actual VCO-cores themselves" is a unique and highly beneficial feature; i.e., As their demo video states, "So that when you apply linear-FM to the carrier, it's actually completely independent of the phase-modulation occurring . . . [and the] modulation oscillator's sine-wave output is by default, normalled, to provide the phase-modulation source." —Mindphaser Technical Demonstration.
The demos on this sold me. The sounds are exactly the type of stuff I am after. I’ve watched/listened to a lot demos of other complex oscillators and none of them really did it for me. Probably the only other one I am thinking of getting is the Endorphines Furtherrrrrr Generator with the linear FM board. That one just sounds nice and fuzzy and I think it would compliment this one very well.

Radical Frequencies Dual Precision VCO is another one that sounds good to my ears...

All demos of DPO I heard tended to be a harsh mess.
Verbos only does exponential FM and I don’t like neither the sound of it, nor the fact that it messes with the tuning, so it’s kind of like a dial your timbre in and forget it, if you want melodic stuff that is.

Back Down the Path
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Back Down the Path » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:24 am

noisewreck wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:37 am
Verbos only does exponential FM and I don’t like neither the sound of it, nor the fact that it messes with the tuning, so it’s kind of like a dial your timbre in and forget it, if you want melodic stuff that is.
Yes I had a Verbos and the tuning stuff was very frustrating. Sounded nice but wasn't for me. This one seems quite capable of pitch stability while being heavily modulated.

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:34 pm

The upper right hand side hole is reserved for the Mindphaser.

Last edited by noisewreck on Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:07 pm

Hey, so about the other complex oscillators. I haven't listened to many of them but auditioned a Brenso YouTube video before work today doing some through-zero FM. Sounded damn good! A thick fuzzy sound I haven't yet heard from the Mindphaser. Also, in a 2019 Superbooth video, the Hexinverter presenter says to my surprise, "It doesn't do FM through-zero, just phase-modulation through-zero." Pretty sure I heard that right, but I'll check again.

I just re-watched some of that video, and he does say, "Of course it does through-zero FM!" Regarding the crossed-out text above: What he actually says, at 02:11, "The linear-FM in the oscillator cores is not through-zero; however, it happens independently of phase-modulation which can result in some very interesting sounds when combining, or OR'ing, or you know, doing different things with it . . . " So make of that what you will (and explain it me when you do).

Here's the 2019 Superbooth Mindphaser video I'm referencing (it's not the alien-abduction one):

Anyway, I think I'm re-thinking my Mindphaser pre-order and will take a serious look at the Brenso module.
Last edited by studio460 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:34 pm

Yeah, right now it's between the Frap Tools' Brenso or Hexinverter's Mindphaser. Both sound great, and both have attractive, inviting UIs. The Mindphaser seems stronger in phase-modulation (does the Frap Tools do that? And is Frap Tools' PWM more capable than Mindphaser's?). The Mindphaser's TZ-FM bus seems very powerful, and again, it's independent of the oscillator-cores (a feature unique to the Mindphaser?). Thoughts?

hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times

Post by hexinverter » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:35 am

Hey good discussion here!

Just wanted to clarify since there seem to be some confusion between things I've blabbed about in Mindphaser videos over the years:

Yes, thru-zero PHASE modulation happens separate from the VCO cores, with its own dedicated TZPM bus, which is totally separate from the Mod Bus and is like a second Mod Bus just for the PM.

That is to say, applying TZPM does nothing to simultaneously alter the frequencies of the cores.
And applying FM and PM together will first FM the cores, and then phase modulate the already FM'd signal.

The cores themselves have linear and exponential FM inputs, and are good ol' fashion FM, ie: not thru zero FM. The lin. FM input of the Carrier is able to be easily fed by the Mod Bus internally.
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

skinpop
Common Wiggler

Post by skinpop » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:03 am

just placed an order on your homepage. super looking forward to it!
blue noise

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 pm

And . . . I’m back! Thank you for that clarification, Stacy! Looking at the Mindphaser again, the TZ-PM bus (which appears unique to Mindphaser) provides some really nice sounds and the module also seems to support more mod-destinations. So with that, my Mindphaser pre-order stays.

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:47 am

studio460 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 pm
And . . . I’m back! Thank you for that clarification, Stacy! Looking at the Mindphaser again, the TZ-PM bus (which appears unique to Mindphaser) provides some really nice sounds and the module also seems to support more mod-destinations. So with that, my Mindphaser pre-order stays.
Mod destinations (and the switching polarity attenuators) on Mindphaser were definitely a top design goal for it! :sb: :goo:

In fact the "MkI, throw every single idea on a board and see what works" design had even more. But it was almost 40HP or something. haha.
Hexinverter Électronique

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:16 pm

hexinverter wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:47 am
studio460 wrote:
Mod destinations (and the switching polarity attenuators) on Mindphaser were definitely a top design goal for it! :sb: :goo:

In fact the "MkI, throw every single idea on a board and see what works" design had even more. But it was almost 40HP or something. haha.
Bring it on, dude! I can always buy more cases! Haha! Anyway, thanks for creating such an amazing-sounding module! I listened to more of your demos last night and I finally did find that sound and that other that sound, plus one more! So I'm in! Really excited for this one! Detroit Modular promised me that my pre-order is early enough in the queue to receive one from their initial shipment, so I'm pretty jazzed!

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:41 pm

studio460 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:16 pm
hexinverter wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:47 am
studio460 wrote:

Bring it on, dude! I can always buy more cases! Haha! Anyway, thanks for creating such an amazing-sounding module! I listened to more of your demos last night and I finally did find that sound and that other that sound, plus one more! So I'm in! Really excited for this one! Detroit Modular promised me that my pre-order is early enough in the queue to receive one from their initial shipment, so I'm pretty jazzed!
Great to hear!!! Thanks for your support, and most def, Dan's got a bunch on order when they're ready to ship!!!
Hexinverter Électronique

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:43 pm

Mindphaser has entered the selective solder (through hole) process now!

One step closer :cloud:
IMG_20210219_171633_985.jpg
Hexinverter Électronique

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:09 pm

hexinverter wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:43 pm
Mindphaser has entered the selective solder (through hole) process now!

One step closer :cloud:

IMG_20210219_171633_985.jpg
Thanks for sharing the process with us! This is sooo cool to see! :hail:

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:28 pm

hexinverter wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:41 pm
Great to hear!!! Thanks for your support, and most def, Dan's got a bunch on order when they're ready to ship!!!
Awesome! That's great to hear! Huge sigh of relief . . . your participation in the thread is very much appreciated!

analogbrainsurgeon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by analogbrainsurgeon » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:38 pm

Woo! It's alive!

Back Down the Path
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Back Down the Path » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:28 pm

Ben is winking at us

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:53 am

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:28 pm
Ben is winking at us

I almost couldn't focus on Beads... My mind was phased up to look at that small Hexinverter label constantly!...!

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:38 pm

Any updates? Does March deliveries still look realistic?

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:11 am

noisewreck wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:38 pm
Any updates? Does March deliveries still look realistic?
I'm expecting to receive more production photos hopefully this week, and will be back to share those here for anyone not following on Instagram. The modules are done selective solder and SMT reflow, and entered the hand assembly and calibration phase.

March *shipment* date is realistic; sooner rather than later hopefully! Delivery will depend where in the world you are, when your order was placed in the queue and how quickly they are dispatched.
Hexinverter Électronique

xidnpnlss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xidnpnlss » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:34 am

Good luck on release! It seemed like a journey but it sounds wonderful and worth it.
FS: Yamaha SPX-900 WTB: KOMA 84HP case

Return to “Eurorack Modules”