Wiggle Hunt, a new and used modular gear shop search engine

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

mattdennewitz
Common Wiggler

Post by mattdennewitz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:10 pm

InteBra wrote:Cool. Also would be nice to be able to select whole regions. Like "Europe".
this is in fact already doable. click the "all stores" dropdown, then select "all european stores" under "by region"
-m

wiggle hunt, global synth gear search: https://wigglehunt.com

mattdennewitz
Common Wiggler

Post by mattdennewitz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:14 pm

tioJim wrote:top work, sir

web nerd here, what is it, react/redux?
excellent! django + postgres for the app. scrapy for spiders, which feeds each product found into a redis list. a long-running django management command pops products from that list and stores them in the db. the data table itself was built w/ preact and axios, bundled w/ webpack. happy to answer any other stack questions.
-m

mattdennewitz
Common Wiggler

Post by mattdennewitz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:15 pm

facklr wrote:You have been Patreon-ed :sb:

This is already extremely great, and I look forward to seeing how it grows or is tweaked. Keep up the great work.
thank you very much!
-m

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Wiggle Hunt, a new and used modular gear shop search eng

Post by EPTC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:54 pm

mattdennewitz wrote:(x-posted from General)

Hey, I wanted to share something I made: Wiggle Hunt.
Damn - This is so immediately useful. Good thought on your part to have a patreon link. I expect this could become a very vital site for a lot of traffic, and should deserve some support.

The 'shop availability' is a killer feature, as modulargrid's vendor links are static and sometimes inaccurate.

Great work. Thanks for this.
SPOKEN WORD WITH ELECTRONICS, http://www.ep.tc/spoken-word
Support the show: https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/spoken- ... sodes-1-10

This week's episode:

stickmann
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickmann » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 pm

I find Wiggle Hunt to be useful and simple. Excellent name. Thank you.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:11 pm

wow. nice work

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:18 pm

Love it.
How smart is the search? Will it know that e370 is Also e-370?
SunSpots

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:30 pm

SunSpots wrote:Love it.
How smart is the search? Will it know that e370 is Also e-370?
On a few tries, things like "Pams" didn't bring up "Pamela's" and no results for either e370 or e-370

(but that could be there's no available SynthTech modules at the time on market.)

Eight hits for Pamela though for Pamela's named modules - I imagine this can improve over time.

Still loving this page. Awesome stuff.
SPOKEN WORD WITH ELECTRONICS, http://www.ep.tc/spoken-word
Support the show: https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/spoken- ... sodes-1-10

This week's episode:

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:40 pm

thetaflux wrote:Please allow sorting by price :) Otherwise this is a fantastic tool. Thank you so much.
It's already in descending order by price which is what we all want anyway :hihi: .

mattdennewitz
Common Wiggler

Post by mattdennewitz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:31 am

I've just added Technopolis, TechnoSynth, Found Sound, Patch Point, Noise Kitchen, JAM, Martin Pas, and Pyramid Sounds. Inventory is coming in now. Currency formatting is also now store locale-specific.

Search is (right now) not smart enough to show matches for, say, "EMU" when searching for "E-MU". I'm playing with that, should have it out soon. Aliases like "Pam's" -> "Pamela's" is a little lower priority right now while I'm adding stores, but is also something I'd like to add.[/quote]
-m

Tillman-Jex
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tillman-Jex » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:31 am

Absolute legend. Regarding websites prohibiting the access of information...
I think it's in every online shops best interest to be included in such a search engine in order to increase market reach.

I don't imagine any shop owner asking them to remove them from the website.

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:27 am

However useful this may be, it's a bummer that it violates most commonly accepted web best practices. Not only is scrapping those websites specifically against their terms of services, but it also goes against their best interests (which is why it is frowned upon).

For those that are missing the point, if you think about it from the point of view of the retailers, it might make more sense. The last thing they want is their prices and their inventory compared side-by-side against their competitor's. Also, there is no guarantee that this is going to be kept up to date, correct, etc.
The retailers have no control over this copy of their inventory. It potentially corrupts their proprietary information (their stock, prices, and inventory).
In addition to all of this, scrapping those websites make them incur extra costs since they are now paying for hosting and serving pages to robots, which are not customers.

And to top it all off, the author is attempting to make money off of this (with the Patreon subscription, etc). This is theft, pure and simple. Good luck.

Hey Matt Dennewitz (OP), being a director of engineering at Wired is probably paying you well enough that you don't have to take money from honest people on here to run an illegal website, don't you think?

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:50 am

Mr Dennewitz has obviously thought about this already. :hihi:

[video] [/video]

Can't he just ask each store and get permission? I really would like to see Wiggle Hunt work...but that means it is important that the eurorack community accepts it and last time I checked our eurorack stockists are an important part of our community.

By the way, there is a standard that web crawlers are suppose to follow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots_exclusion_standard

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:37 am

Well, so – according to my biopic, English is known to never have been a particularly native language of mine, so excuse me if I misuse the expression, but having have learned it for – how we, brits, call it, – “quite a while,” I seem to be thinking it might be appropriate, and without further dilly-dallying I wanted to ask, if I may, don't you gentlemen in this room find usage of words such as “illegal” & “theft” at our modest tea party to be a little bit of... how do we, brittons, call it... ah! – “a little bit of a stretch”?

T.Y

Yours Truly.

:drums:
Witness 60 minutes of audio-visual industrial psy-techno
jam-offering (and press like so this wipes away minecraft
videos clean from the trends and we get to see
some proper rave action there, FINALLY):

/ My electro-rap debut!! (video)
/ Analog & modular videos
:smoke:

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Artaos wrote:However useful this may be, it's a bummer that it violates most commonly accepted web best practices. Not only is scrapping those websites specifically against their terms of services, but it also goes against their best interests (which is why it is frowned upon).

For those that are missing the point, if you think about it from the point of view of the retailers, it might make more sense. The last thing they want is their prices and their inventory compared side-by-side against their competitor's. Also, there is no guarantee that this is going to be kept up to date, correct, etc.
The retailers have no control over this copy of their inventory. It potentially corrupts their proprietary information (their stock, prices, and inventory).
In addition to all of this, scrapping those websites make them incur extra costs since they are now paying for hosting and serving pages to robots, which are not customers.

And to top it all off, the author is attempting to make money off of this (with the Patreon subscription, etc). This is theft, pure and simple. Good luck.

Hey Matt Dennewitz (OP), being a director of engineering at Wired is probably paying you well enough that you don't have to take money from honest people on here to run an illegal website, don't you think?
You could not contribute if you think the OP doesn't need money. Is it really this serious? It's not Silk Road.

Just so you know, I suggested to OP to get a Patreon going since this community is small and really into support.

mqmq
Common Wiggler

Post by mqmq » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:42 pm

This is why this community is amazing !

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Wiggle Hunt, a new and used modular gear shop search eng

Post by Multi Grooves » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:54 pm

EPTC wrote:
[...] The 'shop availability' is a killer feature, as modulargrid's vendor links are static and sometimes inaccurate.

Great work. Thanks for this.
Often when I've been looking for stuff.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

ndf
Common Wiggler

Post by ndf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:03 am

When you scream something out to the public as loud as you possibly can, how can you then complain when someone hears what you said. ?!@ wtf "best practices" ?? Limiting access to information is web WORST PRACTICE.

endrant

This is great.

But - it doesn't work:

The resource at
https://wiggle-hunt.s3.amazonaws.com/ui ... 19f5221.js
was blocked because tracking protection is enabled.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:08 am

Artaos wrote:For those that are missing the point, if you think about it from the point of view of the retailers, it might make more sense. The last thing they want is their prices and their inventory compared side-by-side against their competitor's.
Why? You make them sound shady. Like they want to make extra money on the consumers’ lack of knowledge.
New modular track with a ton of FM cross modulation and drum synthesis. 🔥

mattdennewitz
Common Wiggler

Post by mattdennewitz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:23 am

ndf wrote:When you scream something out to the public as loud as you possibly can, how can you then complain when someone hears what you said. ?!@ wtf "best practices" ?? Limiting access to information is web WORST PRACTICE.

endrant

This is great.

But - it doesn't work:

The resource at
https://wiggle-hunt.s3.amazonaws.com/ui ... 19f5221.js
was blocked because tracking protection is enabled.
are you blocking google analytics? i added a tracking call to track what is searched for. if you'd rather google not track what you search for on the site, i understand.
-m

mattdennewitz
Common Wiggler

Post by mattdennewitz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:38 am

google analytics event tracking has been removed
-m

arcanius
Common Wiggler

Post by arcanius » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:38 am

this is super cool :tu:
its all a party !

guestt

Post by guestt » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:24 am

This is great - thank you!

:love:

As for it being 'illegal' and 'theft' - this is so far off the mark it's absurd and probably doesn't even warrant a response at all, but in the interests of sanity:

This is publicly available information, the service is actually *saving* server costs for the retailers (and users) because it avoids many people using each individual website to compare prices (folk do this anyway) that this information is aggregated here in this service is simply a convenience.

As for concurrency I would imagine, and my experience so far is, that this is very good, but regardless, the end user will still end up on the retailers website to make the purchase so any discrepancies will soon become apparent and if consistently wrong, the service will just not be used because the primary objective is not working. I haven't found this to be a problem - it's actually very good.

It is not proprietary information - it's just stock and price information aggregation. Weather predictions would be a good example of proprietary information as these are the primary business output that cost a lot of time and money to produce. These are two very different things. There are countless availability and price aggregators out there, with all due respect this is nothing new or exceptional, there are a crazy number of precedents.

There are no attempts to 'make money' from it because it's a free service with an option to contribute if you choose to say 'thank you'. This would be different if there was an access fee for example.

If I were a retailer I would be delighted with this service - it's essentially free advertising. More than that, I would actually take any action made by a retailer against this as good reason not to do business with them and of course as mentioned above, any retailer who doesn't want to be included simply has to make a request to be removed. I would be utterly amazed if any of them actually did this.

I wish Matt Dennewitz (OP) all the best with this endeavour - hope it works out well for everyone :)

Futuresound

Post by Futuresound » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:37 am

FWIW, I can’t find anything from Shakmat, whether searching for ‘Shakmat’ or module names. I double-checked and at least some of the stores do have Shakmat stuff in stock.

Weird.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:24 am

Items at Perfect Circuit that are "arriving soon" show up as "in stock" on Wiggle Hunt.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”