Braids Renaissance (robot speech, 10 new chord modes)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:40 am

Hi

Please read the thread here, especially pichinettes post.

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... dule/13809

If you have any questions about the process please ask here or DM me, Mutable doesn't provide support for this process.

Cheers
Tom

sidbarnhoorn
Common Wiggler

Post by sidbarnhoorn » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi Thomas, just want to say I really like Renaissance and I've been playing around with the chord algorithm today:
[video][/video]

Will definitely play more with this! It adds a lot more awesomeness to this module! Thank you!
Siddhartha Barnhoorn

Composer for film, games and other media
http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/sidbarnhoorn

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:53 pm

sidbarnhoorn wrote:Hi Thomas, just want to say I really like Renaissance and I've been playing around with the chord algorithm today:
[video][/video]

Will definitely play more with this! It adds a lot more awesomeness to this module! Thank you!
wow, very esq1

big thanks th0mas - will dm if i need some help 8-)

sidbarnhoorn
Common Wiggler

Post by sidbarnhoorn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:05 am

Thank you, sutekina bipu-on! :-)
Siddhartha Barnhoorn

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:17 am

Simply amazing! Thanks so much! :yay:

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:10 pm

I got a uBraids today, but it seems like i'm unable to update it with either 1.8 Official or Renaissance 0.4 WAV files. I've tried an iPad, 4 different audio interfaces off my laptop, and a mp3 player. I usually get CRC or SYN right away but sometimes get anywhere from 1 to 4 packets before getting an error. I'll keep trying, hopefully my uBraids will decide to cooperate with me tonight....

I have a JTAG adapter and am gonna get a SWD adapter in the mail.... hopefully this works, but i'll get a ST-Link v2 on order just to be safe.

Does the uBraids have any other design quirks to be aware of?
Last edited by sutekina bipu-on on Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:23 pm

sutekina bipu-on wrote:I got a uBraids today, but it seems like i'm unable to update it with either 1.8 Official or Renaissance 0.4 WAV files. I've tried an iPad, 4 different audio interfaces off my laptop, and a mp3 player. I usually get CRC or SYN right away but sometimes get anywhere from 1 to 4 packets before getting an error.
I initially had the same issue with my iPhone, simply not loud enough for Eurorack. Then I plugged the headphone output into Veils and from Veils (vca max and curve at 11 o‘clock = slightly exp.) into Braids. Instant success.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:14 pm

dbeats wrote:
sutekina bipu-on wrote:I got a uBraids today, but it seems like i'm unable to update it with either 1.8 Official or Renaissance 0.4 WAV files. I've tried an iPad, 4 different audio interfaces off my laptop, and a mp3 player. I usually get CRC or SYN right away but sometimes get anywhere from 1 to 4 packets before getting an error.
I initially had the same issue with my iPhone, simply not loud enough for Eurorack. Then I plugged the headphone output into Veils and from Veils (vca max and curve at 11 o‘clock = slightly exp.) into Braids. Instant success.
damn, i tried witht my vca just now but still no luck. I'll keep at it! :ripbanana:

I'm wondering if it's something about this ubraids build in particular, but syn errors be damned, i'll get this :bang:

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:04 pm

sutekina bipu-on wrote: damn, i tried witht my vca just now but still no luck. I'll keep at it! :ripbanana:
Just to double check: You were using a vca with amplification >>1 ? Many vca‘s don‘t help much in terms of total amplification...

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:57 pm

dbeats wrote:
sutekina bipu-on wrote: damn, i tried witht my vca just now but still no luck. I'll keep at it! :ripbanana:
Just to double check: You were using a vca with amplification >>1 ? Many vca‘s don‘t help much in terms of total amplification...
Not sure honestly, but i started running my phone into a mixer into the ubraids and i have got as far as 8 packets before a crc error! making progress.... sorry to clutter the thread with this nonsense. Thanks very much for your help!

sidbarnhoorn
Common Wiggler

Post by sidbarnhoorn » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:41 am

Another little jam using Braids Renaissance in chord algorithm mode:
[video][/video]
Siddhartha Barnhoorn

Johnbomb
Common Wiggler

Re: Braids Renaissance (robot speech, 10 new chord modes)

Post by Johnbomb » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:48 pm

Hey thOmas,

Excellent work! This has really made modular much more inspiring for me. Would you be able to add a firmware update that would allow scale selection in quantize mode via FM for the chord/stack modes? I think this would greatly expand compositional possibilities.

Thanks very much for your time!
John

oliq
Common Wiggler

Post by oliq » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:31 am

Thanks for this great firmware. Makes chord mode work how I always thought it should.

Is there a list anywhere of the different inversions you get from the colour knob? I want to try some complex sequencing from my cirklon to replicate chord progressions on my tracks done with standard polyphonic synths.

pisrecords
Common Wiggler

Post by pisrecords » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:15 pm

For me, this is the best firmware for Braids. very grateful to its creator. an excellent addition could be the possibility of saving 10 presets, as does the firmware 1.8 that Richard Devine uses.

:zombie:
braids_presets_p180.wav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ADMIN in latin eurorack group . https://www.facebook.com/groups/906628619403191/

sorry 4 my poor English words.

pld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pld » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:19 am

pisrecords wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:15 pm
For me, this is the best firmware for Braids. very grateful to its creator. an excellent addition could be the possibility of saving 10 presets, as does the firmware 1.8 that Richard Devine uses.
Not to toot my own horn, but it might be more useful to link to the origin of that .WAV, where one might also find "documentation" (ahem), the code, and a notice that it could brick-yer-braids. Fair warning -- the whole thing wasn't really intended for widespread distribution, hasn't been systematically tested, and thus support isn't high on my list of priorities. So use at your own risk. There also exsists a (code-only) version for Bees but that's even more untested (i.e. not at all).

And now, back to your regular robot speech programming.

qidev.rich@gmail.com
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qidev.rich@gmail.com » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:15 am

Hi, apologies for the stupidity of my question...but I built a through hole braids (http://sound-force.nl/?page_id=3179) which works perfectly. It's based on the STM32 black pill. Nicolas at sound force says the only change to the firmware is to dac.h to use the correct SPI commands for the MCP4822. I'm guessing to get Renaissance to work I'll have to use the modified dac.h and recompile the firmware? I did try flashing it using the braids bootloader .hex and the compiled Renaissance .hex but I just get 'CSAW' on the display and no response from anything.

Like I say, daft question and I think I know the answer but wanted to see if anyone had attempted this before I go down the route of learning how to compile the code myself.

Thanks

Richard

qidev.rich@gmail.com
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qidev.rich@gmail.com » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:20 am

I got the Vagrant environment up and can compile from a download of the pinchinettes git, but not from a download of the renaissance fork...something about the STMlib...hmm.

qidev.rich@gmail.com
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qidev.rich@gmail.com » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:33 am

OK...getting somewhere..by coping Renaissance Braids folder into my local eurorack-modules folder and replacing the dac.h I can get it compiled, but get nothing but 'CSAW' in the display and no response to encoder and no sound. Same issue if I do the same with the Bees In The Trees firmware. So I'm guessing it's something bigger than just recompiling the code. Bees in the Trees does give me a quick 'BZZZ' in the display before locking up though...so possibly it's hitting something a bit further in then crashing.

Hashtag Octothorpe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Hashtag Octothorpe » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:01 pm

I'm making this same journey! Turns out the through-hole build has different encoder pins, so you need to swap out the dac.h file (for the 12 bit DAC) *and* edit the encoder.cc file.

From the Soundforge page:
The encoder pins had to be changed because there were not free on the blue pill boards. ENC_A is PA0, ENC_B is PA1 and the switch PA2. If you want to use any alternative firmwares with the hardware from this project you will need to change the pins in “encoder.cc” in the folder “drivers”, replace the 4 lines (lines 36-38 in the original firmware) with hose:

Code: Select all

gpio_init.GPIO_Pin = GPIO_Pin_2 | GPIO_Pin_0 | GPIO_Pin_1;
gpio_init.GPIO_Speed = GPIO_Speed_10MHz;
gpio_init.GPIO_Mode = GPIO_Mode_IPU;
GPIO_Init(GPIOA, &gpio_init);
I'll try compiling the Renaissance firmware for the Through Hole Braids tonight and if I get it working, I'll post the binary here!!!

Hashtag Octothorpe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Hashtag Octothorpe » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:02 am

WHEEEE I got the Renaissance firmware compiled and working with the Through Holes version!!! It was more involved than just the four lines of code in the encoder.cc folder.

It works for me. Try it out and see if it works for you! Google Drive Link

Return to “Eurorack Modules”