Pamela's New Workout patching/programming tricks

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:29 am

SlyFrank wrote:
npseaver wrote:
cptnal wrote:If you're looking for a spare source of random gates, combine a couple of channels of Pam's at different divisions and turn the slop and random skip way up.
What would you use random gates like that for? I tried slop a bit, but it threw notes so far off beat so fast that it was less like a humanizer than like a throw-the-drums-down-the-stairs-izer.
I _love_ random for everything except for tempo. Random into all sorts of inputs can "humanize" stuff, but tempo is not included. When humans play in real time, and 'stray' from the beat, it's not random. The only way to humanize tempo is to play it yourself. That doesn't have to be by actually playing keys - it could be by riding the master tempo, or timing, or swing, with a joystick, but humanization of tempo is not 'slop.'
The trick is not to think of Pam's just as a clock. Sure, it's good at that, but it also does the crazy stuff. :party:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi fellow PNWers. I had the idea to input sequenced gate into Pam's CV input, then modify it with euclidean params and see what fun can be had with the output. Unfortunately I don't see any way to do this, it seems I can only modulate Pam's own sequence with the CV inputs. Any thoughts?

By the way, loving this thread!

Javert
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Javert » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:50 pm

I've just got PNW together with the Make Noise STO and MI Veils. At the moment that is the sum total of my modular gear but I have a question.

Maybe it's because I'm only just starting out in Eurorack, so I don't know whether this is possible with what I currently have or whether I'm just missing something really obvious.

When running a random wave using euclidian steps with random skip, is it possible to get silence when the steps are skipped. My STO (or the way I've patched it) still outputs the waveform that is being continuously output. I know I need to have a gate, but each output on PNW only outputs 1 waveform. I'm able to have 2 outputs running the same sequence but this won't work if I incorporate a random skip element.

I have PNW output with the sequence patched to Veils, then into the 1v/Oct on the STO. On another output I have a gate sequence patched to another Veils input together with the waveform form the STO. Obviously, this will only output sound when the gate is triggered but the gate sequence won't always be the same as the sequence from the other output due to random skipping.

Am I looking at this in the correct way or have I completely missed something?

Appreciate any help as I'm still learning.

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:27 pm

Javert wrote:I've just got PNW together with the Make Noise STO and MI Veils. At the moment that is the sum total of my modular gear but I have a question.

Maybe it's because I'm only just starting out in Eurorack, so I don't know whether this is possible with what I currently have or whether I'm just missing something really obvious.

When running a random wave using euclidian steps with random skip, is it possible to get silence when the steps are skipped. My STO (or the way I've patched it) still outputs the waveform that is being continuously output. I know I need to have a gate, but each output on PNW only outputs 1 waveform. I'm able to have 2 outputs running the same sequence but this won't work if I incorporate a random skip element.

I have PNW output with the sequence patched to Veils, then into the 1v/Oct on the STO. On another output I have a gate sequence patched to another Veils input together with the waveform form the STO. Obviously, this will only output sound when the gate is triggered but the gate sequence won't always be the same as the sequence from the other output due to random skipping.

Hmm..interesting conundrum :hmm:

Just a quick thought here that may/may not work...You may want to try putting the CV sequence coming from Pam's under CV control. In other words, Mult the gate channel that has the random skip enabled (I take it the gate stream is the channel using the random skip...) and CV the level of the CV sequence on Pams using that gate channel.

If I'm thinking about it right, what that should do is only let the CV sequence from Pam's send out CV to veils (and subsequently the 1V/oct of the STO) when the gate is active on the Pam's channel that is using the random skip (and triggering the opening of the VCA on Veils where the STO waveform is plugged into).

Hope that helps and let us know if that worked :tu:

npseaver
Common Wiggler

Post by npseaver » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:07 pm

Javert wrote:I've just got PNW together with the Make Noise STO and MI Veils. At the moment that is the sum total of my modular gear but I have a question.

I'd use two outputs: one doing the random voltages to control the STO pitch, and then another one doing the gates (with the euclidean pattern and random skips) to the Veils. That is sort of what you've described doing, except I don't think there's any reason to put random skips or euclidean patterns on the pitch CV. Just doing it on the VCA control alone would, I think, get you the result you're expecting to get.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:43 pm

SlyFrank wrote: When humans play in real time, and 'stray' from the beat, it's not random.
Yeah - you haven't heard me try to play Bach....

Javert
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Javert » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:39 am

npseaver wrote:I'd use two outputs: one doing the random voltages to control the STO pitch, and then another one doing the gates (with the euclidean pattern and random skips) to the Veils. That is sort of what you've described doing, except I don't think there's any reason to put random skips or euclidean patterns on the pitch CV. Just doing it on the VCA control alone would, I think, get you the result you're expecting to get.
Thanks npseaver and VZvision.

Not tried your suggestions yet, however, from reading the replies I can see what I was doing wrong and what I need to do. Can't believe it was so simple. :doh:

I was assigning the random skip to the sequence and not to the gate. Obviously, if I let the sequence run in full but just skip some of the gate steps it should work as I hoped.

Oh my, I've got a lot to learn..... but am very excited at the prospect. And to think I only have these 3 modules at present, so I can't wait to see what possibilities open up as I buy more.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:13 am

Javert wrote:
npseaver wrote:I'd use two outputs: one doing the random voltages to control the STO pitch, and then another one doing the gates (with the euclidean pattern and random skips) to the Veils. That is sort of what you've described doing, except I don't think there's any reason to put random skips or euclidean patterns on the pitch CV. Just doing it on the VCA control alone would, I think, get you the result you're expecting to get.
Thanks npseaver and VZvision.

Not tried your suggestions yet, however, from reading the replies I can see what I was doing wrong and what I need to do. Can't believe it was so simple. :doh:

I was assigning the random skip to the sequence and not to the gate. Obviously, if I let the sequence run in full but just skip some of the gate steps it should work as I hoped.

Oh my, I've got a lot to learn..... but am very excited at the prospect. And to think I only have these 3 modules at present, so I can't wait to see what possibilities open up as I buy more.
Reckon you'll find this well worth an hour of your time. :tu:

:cloud:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

Javert
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Javert » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:57 am

Thanks cptnal.

I watched that after I'd ordered the modules but before they arrived. Guess I didn't take it all in.

In fact, the Molten Modular series of videos were a great help to me in working out a lot of the basics (case, power etc).

Can't wait to get home from work so I can try out PNW again.

Bretd
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Pamela's New Workout patching/programming tricks

Post by Bretd » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:44 am

Fun ideas in here.. thanks

Sysagent
Common Wiggler

Post by Sysagent » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:52 am

Nice thread keep those ideas flowing!

Got a PNW yesterday as part of my 42 HP “utility” skiff, aka something to put some more modules I have ended up with...

Really looking forward to seeing how this thing interacts with my 0-CTRL / MI Stages and the Elucidian aspects of Pamela.

p.s. any further help or hints are always appreciated.
"The Most Annoying Man In The World..."

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:25 pm

I can’t quite figure out how to use external CV to rotate the outputs on PNW...
Could someone please walk me through the steps?
I read and re-read the manual, and either I am just too dense, or what I am trying to accomplish is not possible.
I would like to use either of the external cv inputs to rotate the output assignments for the 8 outputs on the module... simple, yet I am missing something.
Any guidance will be appreciated!
Thank you!

jasev
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jasev » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:17 am

L.C.O. wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:25 pm
I can’t quite figure out how to use external CV to rotate the outputs on PNW...
Could someone please walk me through the steps?
I read and re-read the manual, and either I am just too dense, or what I am trying to accomplish is not possible.
I would like to use either of the external cv inputs to rotate the output assignments for the 8 outputs on the module... simple, yet I am missing something.
Any guidance will be appreciated!
Thank you!
Hi
Go to the run input menu and select 'RA' (rotate all) send a gate or trigger to CV1 and all your outs should rotate?

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:58 pm

Thank you!
I should have realized this myself, but your note helped: I have an older version of firmware on my module that does not have that option in the Run settings! Which is why the manual didn’t make sense to me.
Got to update the firmware.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”