6-channel 6 HP audio mixer – 6xMIX by Happy Nerding

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Semipro1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Semipro1 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:25 pm

Thank you

SinkWhole
Common Wiggler

Post by SinkWhole » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 am

Anyone copped one of these? Opinions? Seems to tick boxes for my setup at a good price/size..

f33d
Wiggling with Experience

Post by f33d » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:51 am

I love the design, but my wish seems I fall inbetween.
I'd like to have a 6xMix for CVs - Igorrr says the MIA is for CVs, but if I want to attenuate not offset, I have to split the CV into a & B, which reduces the MIA back to 3 channels and makes it unnecessary cumbersome (erases all the upside of the clever knob-design + the need for a splitter).
I find attenuating in my case more practical than offset. Even better would be attenuverting & this is how I understood MIA originally to be (but it is not): from CW to middle attenuating signal to 0v from middle to CCW inverting the signal with full CCW having full strength (x1 gain) but into negative. And this function x 6. Weird that nobody seems to want that? Do I miss some concept or understand something wrong?
What would also be cool is one ring does offset and the other does attenuating. The 3xVCA does probably that, but I am not sure. This whole offset/attenuverting is confusing because often offset will produce exactly the same result because the target module understands only positive anyways...but not always.
Thanks!

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:25 am

f33d: Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I am pretty sure that MIA does exactly what you want.

It has three channels. Each channel attenuverts (from -1x to 1x gain) and mixes two input signals.

If there is no jack in either of the inputs, MIA normalizes it to +5V, allowing you to use that channel to attenuvert and also offset a single signal.

Additionally, there are switches to mix the output of the three channels.

I use mine for CV and audio all the time. It is a cold-dead-hands module.

(3xVCA doesn't do offset. Instead it allows you to dial in how much signal still goes through each VCA when the CV is zero volts. Great for drones and more subtle modulation.)

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 am

3xMIA actually has six channels despite “3x” in the name. Three channels apply in case you need both attenuverter and offset functions at the same time. But if you need only attenuverter – it has six of them.
6xMIX has no offset and inverting functions plus AC coupled inputs – that is the difference.

f33d
Wiggling with Experience

Post by f33d » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:02 pm

thanks for the quick reply dear wigglers!
I assumed it, but this statement from the other wiggler threw me off:
"Come to think of it, that's really what makes the module awkward for me. With two offsets on the same mix channel, there are multiple "zero" points. If I'm applying +2V on one and -2V on the other, that is "zero" even though it's not zero. If the unipolar switch was added, there'd be no need to remove the DC offset (suggested above) as zero would be easy to find. Granted you could only offset in one direction... but I still think a unipolar mode would be hand. After giving it a go, I decided the 3X MIA is a great module... but it's not for me. I love the design but I just can't get used to the bipolar/dual offset nature of it. I'd love it if it had a uni/bi switch (discussed earlier in the thread) or something similar, but it's just not doing what I want it to do. "

This dual-offset thing.... And then igorrr said somewhere if you want quick zero you split the channel and offset one ring CW & the other CCW.

So he probably was talking about putting the same CV through, e.g. A1 & B1... then ok -2V & +2V would be 0, but why is he talking about it as if it is normal operation to mix the same CV? ok one could do that theoretically, but why?

to set it straight: If a CV is plugged in A1 and different CV at B1. A1-Knob & B1 Knob are only attenuverting the respective and NOT offsetting at all? Then the attenuverted MIX comes out, right? In this case setting A1 to zero would nullify the CV@A1 and, let say doing -2V to a +5V CV B1 would make +3V of CV B1 at the MIX, right? Or -3V because it is "inverting", not sure.
And if I do -2V to CVA1 and +2V to CVB1 it would be NOT 0 because we assume the CVs are different.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:35 pm

Some applications require quick set to zero level. With attenuverters it is not easy to quickly jump to this zero level, because it is in the middle of the knobs rotation. By suffering one channel and splitting the target signal to both A and B inputs – ordinary knob behaviour is achieved. Shown in this video.
[video][/video]
This also give 2x amplification. All of this shows how flexible 3xMIA can be: you do not need switches to select attenuverter/attenuator function, no gain switches.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:56 am

Is there a technical difference in the mixing between 3xmia and 6xmix? I know the 6xmix is AC coupled. Does that result in a better quality when Audio is mixed? I have the 3xMIA and noticed a slight loss in brilliance compared to my Low gain Submix6 when mixing some oscillator waveforms. That's not a problem for me because I got the 3xmia primarily for CV. But now I need a good Audiomixer and the concentric knobs design and the flexibility caused by the switches is just perfect for me. So I'd really like to get the 6xmix.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:30 am

There is no much difference between 3xMIA and 6xMIX. And I do not want to argue your hearing tests, but those modules are already giving perfect sound. Despite their budget price, actually it is almost impossible to make any noticeable sound improvement to them. Their noise and distortion is XX times better than something considered transparent.

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Re: 6-channel 6 HP audio mixer – 6xMIX by Happy Nerding

Post by gelabs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:25 am

Igorrr, is it safe to self-patch the 6xMIX and overdriving its inputs ? I am experimenting with self-patching to get feedback/distortion and it's a lot of fun. (Also, same question with 3xMIA and 3xVCA).
The planet was, I realized, one of the spots before my eyes.
sc - bc - yt - mg

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:36 am

Yes, there should not be any issues.

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:09 am

Hey, I just noticed this module, I’m not sure how I’ve missed it. It looks like it will solve some sub-mix limitations I’m having with my current setup.

What response do the knobs have? Linear or exponential?

I take it these can’t be linked together, as the PanMix Jr., 3x Stereo Mixer, etc. can? (BTW, I have a pair of PanMix Jr.s and 3x Stereo Mixer linked together as my rig’s main final-stage mixer, and I totally love it.)

Also, it looks like most vendors are out of stock. Can they still be purchased directly from you, or do you know when the next batch will be ready?

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Post by gelabs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:21 am

Thanks Igorrr :tu:
The planet was, I realized, one of the spots before my eyes.
sc - bc - yt - mg

Return to “Eurorack Modules”