Doboz TSNM (Touch Sensing Note Memory)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

cranleigh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cranleigh » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:34 pm

ZZ Ardoz wrote:
cranleigh wrote:
ZZ Ardoz wrote:
cranleigh wrote:I've built mine and everything works marvelously, except the pressure output, which emits a constant -10.5 volts. Has anyone else experienced that or have any thoughts?

thanks!
The "extra" pin on the teensy, the one that's not on the edge, is the pressure output - measure there and see if it is constant. If it looks good, then reflow R16, R17, R18 and R19, C10 and the TL072 at IC5. If none of that works, you might have a faulty 121 board.
thanks! i skipped that pin on the teensy accidentally (marked "DAC" on the PCB, right?). Will solder that and hopefully that's the answer.
Cool! Let me know how it goes
Works like a dream now, thanks a lot!

guestt

Post by guestt » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:51 am

Hehe, almost certainly the answer!

I have done the exact same thing with those Teensy boards, but not on this module, and only ever once, it's a super easy mistake to make :doh:

Hope it works out :tu:

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:43 am

I have to say that I really have fun with this module !

The onboard 3 mode (keyboard, sequencer and arp) are really cool.
I didn't dive into every setting but the "arp variator", portamento, transpose, quantizer and other features makes it really fun to play :yay:

I already had the Prizma and I love it already :bananaguitar:

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:00 pm

mine behaves strangely...
If I power up the Teensy it loads, I can change the notes on the pads, even if I have no pressure and strange CV outs...

If I power it up from my Eurorack bus board...no sign of life...

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:52 pm

autodafe wrote:mine behaves strangely...
If I power up the Teensy it loads, I can change the notes on the pads, even if I have no pressure and strange CV outs...

If I power it up from my Eurorack bus board...no sign of life...
Nevermind, I am an idiot, I was using it on a rail WITHOUT 5V... :roll:

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:08 pm

OK, so now pads are sending the correct CV value in Kb mode or Arpeggiator mode...well tracked

But I still have NO Pressure, NO Gate and NO Trigger outs.
Clock in works though...

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:36 pm

aaaaanndddd....
SOLVED.
damn D2 backwards!!! :mad:
If you get issues with gate, trigger and pressure absolutely check this
(and thanks to the guy who first mentioned this a couple of pages ago...)

guestt

Post by guestt » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Yay :yay:

Glad you got it working - enjoy!!

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

baremountain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by baremountain » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:49 am

I just ordered all the parts for this off Mouser. The last shared BOM cart had a few things with 13+ week backorders, so I'm sharing the one that shipped for me in the US on 7/2/18. Hopefully sharing these more up to date carts will help alleviate the headache of selecting proper replacements. It's right about :75: before shipping/tax. This includes a knob for the encoder & the Teensy 3.2 board, so all you have to order elsewhere are the MPR121 ($5 on eBay) and the boards, faceplate, and jacks from ModularAddict.

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/P ... e3b2996220

Never soldered an SMD project before, but I'm hoping it goes smoothly. I'll be getting help from a friend who does synth repairs & has done SMD work on my laptop's motherboard before, so hopefully it'll be smooth sailing.

guestt

Post by guestt » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks for sharing baremountain, please report back about your build and confirm the parts in the BoM work... good luck!!

:tu:

Pozzetronics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pozzetronics » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:27 am

Thanks baremountain! Gonna whip up a couple here.

OIP
Common Wiggler

Post by OIP » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:01 pm

halfway through this, when i ordered i ended up going with 0805 100nF caps because 0603 was scarce everywhere, but the pads are easily big enough and the board is generously spaced. just a nice build all round, the long pads for the SOICs are excellent.

[retrospective edit: actually found some 0603 caps in the end, definitely a better fit]

also my first batch of SMD builds. some cheapy practice kits off ebay helped a lot with getting into the swing of it, highly recommend! along with thin solder.

will post some non-DIY thoughts when it's up and running!
Last edited by OIP on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:56 am

baremountain wrote:I just ordered all the parts for this off Mouser. The last shared BOM cart had a few things with 13+ week backorders, so I'm sharing the one that shipped for me in the US on 7/2/18. Hopefully sharing these more up to date carts will help alleviate the headache of selecting proper replacements. It's right about :75: before shipping/tax. This includes a knob for the encoder & the Teensy 3.2 board, so all you have to order elsewhere are the MPR121 ($5 on eBay) and the boards, faceplate, and jacks from ModularAddict.

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/P ... e3b2996220

Never soldered an SMD project before, but I'm hoping it goes smoothly. I'll be getting help from a friend who does synth repairs & has done SMD work on my laptop's motherboard before, so hopefully it'll be smooth sailing.
heh. used this list for the parts just ordered for Erukus and mines. thanks pimp!
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

baremountain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by baremountain » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:57 am

I got all the parts in and built mine over the weekend, and somehow my first SMD soldering project went off without a single hitch! Dropping by to confirm that the cart I put together last week is accurate & should work until a few more parts roll out of distribution.

This thing is great so far. I'm gonna go through and actually calibrate it tonight, but out of the box impressions are wonderful. The pressure sensitivity works how I always wish Pressure Points would, and the note readout is hella useful. The UI is mad intuitive as well - I've ditched every other menu-containing module I've had, but I think this one will stick around.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 pm

that suh, is good to HEAR. all the parts for mines and Eruckus's have/should hit him by tomorrow. lol. he has a bit of loot on his plate to build for my grabbg hands, but this sexy grrL is wayyyyy up on the list of WANT.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:27 pm

baremountain wrote:I got all the parts in and built mine over the weekend, and somehow my first SMD soldering project went off without a single hitch!
Congratulations! I am still struggling with some SMD projects. A batch of 0.1uF 0603 caps I got last week absolutely refused to be soldered (as in ... I couldn't get the solder to 'wet' either end of the caps). The TSNM looks about as challenging as SMD gets. I have the parts but haven't got round to building it yet.

baremountain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by baremountain » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:40 am

Jumbuktu wrote:
baremountain wrote:I got all the parts in and built mine over the weekend, and somehow my first SMD soldering project went off without a single hitch!
Congratulations! I am still struggling with some SMD projects. A batch of 0.1uF 0603 caps I got last week absolutely refused to be soldered (as in ... I couldn't get the solder to 'wet' either end of the caps). The TSNM looks about as challenging as SMD gets. I have the parts but haven't got round to building it yet.
Hmmm I'm not sure what method you're using but I basically tinned one pad on the PCB for each 0603 cap and resistor, then used tweezers in my left hand to place the component while I used my right hand to solder the component to said pad, and then I'd solder the second pad. I used a standard iron with a small-ish tip, and it worked shockingly well despite my clumsy hands.
The only trouble I really had was IC3 which has much smaller spacing than any of the other components, but I had my friend help me with that one.

PopGoblin
Common Wiggler

1 and half dead pad?

Post by PopGoblin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:11 pm

I have one completely dead pad and another top half dead - has anybody experienced this? I've tried all values of debunking and sensitivity - but to no avail?

does anybody have any ideas?

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:50 pm

That sounds like bad solder joints to me.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:54 pm

baremountain wrote:
Jumbuktu wrote:
Hmmm I'm not sure what method you're using but I basically tinned one pad on the PCB for each 0603 cap and resistor, then used tweezers in my left hand to place the component while I used my right hand to solder the component to said pad, and then I'd solder the second pad. I used a standard iron with a small-ish tip, and it worked shockingly well despite my clumsy hands.
The only trouble I really had was IC3 which has much smaller spacing than any of the other components, but I had my friend help me with that one.
Yep, that normally works fine for me but for some reason this batch of caps just would not take the solder. I will get a new batch and try again.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:11 am

Jumbuktu wrote: Yep, that normally works fine for me but for some reason this batch of caps just would not take the solder. I will get a new batch and try again.
I believe it is important to add flux to the pads prior to soldering to avoid exactly this. Somebody may have touched the pads, leaving a tiny layer of grease. That will prevent a good bond from forming.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 pm

pieter wrote:
Jumbuktu wrote: Yep, that normally works fine for me but for some reason this batch of caps just would not take the solder. I will get a new batch and try again.
I believe it is important to add flux to the pads prior to soldering to avoid exactly this. Somebody may have touched the pads, leaving a tiny layer of grease. That will prevent a good bond from forming.
I use a flux pen. No problems with the pads, good flow of solder there. Just won't wet that particular bunch of 0.1uF caps.

PopGoblin
Common Wiggler

Post by PopGoblin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:45 am

pieter wrote:That sounds like bad solder joints to me.
I checked all my solder-joints, but they seemed good - BUT, hooray, a friend help me find the problem(s);

a) the MPR121 board had bad solder joints! After having a friend soldering those the completely dead pad came to live again :)
b) the panel had a copper error, obstructing connection between top and bottom part of the other problematic pad - after some brute force mangling and soldering, this is working too..

So - all good. I've attached before and after images for reference if anybody else gets in trouble with this...
MPR121 Before (notice two solderings on the main chip of the board looking "dull" - a typical sign of a bad solder):
MPR121 After a ninja soldering help:
Panel before (bad picture, but notice weird "dent")
Panel after (also bad. Notice ugly solder.... ;) ).

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:12 am

Glad you found it!

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:39 am

i2c connection on there i see....

Man i want to get myself one of these....Cant believe these arent more popular....

Anyone want to build me one in the southern Hemisphere? :)
look up!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”