What goes into the SECOND rack?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

wiggies
Common Wiggler

What goes into the SECOND rack?

Post by wiggies » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:26 pm

One year into the modular journey and I've discovered I'm more of a patcher than I am a wiggler--that is, I don't tend to do much knob-turning in developing my pieces. Rather, I put together systems of interacting sequences in Numerology and send them to the modular via CV.OCD where systems of interacting voltages manipulate the sequences they receive. When everything works out right, I get all kinds of surprises happening as things play out. :banana:

Like a lot of people, I started with a M32, which I quickly supplemented with a HEK. Once that was full, I built a 9U x 84hp cabinet. Which I slowly filled.

Everything was great, until I got that ONE MORE MODULE and had no room.

So I built a second case, also 9U x 84. I've only just started populating it.

I'm curious what people would recommend for a not-so-newbie-anymore.

Here's what I've already got (in addition to the aforementioned M32):

Oscillators/sound sources:
Z3000
Braids
Rings
A-196 PLL

Filters/processors:
Z2040
MMG
A-137-1 Wave Multiplier
Clouds

Envelopes/LFOs/CV sources:
Function
Maths
Entry Point
Ornament & Crime
Brain Seed

VCAs:
Veils x2
HN 3xVCA

Mixer:
Frames

Clocks
QCD + expander

Utilities
Disting mk3
SISM
WMD Quad Attenuator
RML GPI

Here's what I'm looking at as possible additions to the rig:

Oscillators:
Sinc Iter
E330

Filters:
Belgrad
Cinnamon

For processing:
4ms VCA Matrix
WMD SSM (+expander)
Streams
Warps

Some logic modules
More VCAs
More Mixers

Clearly, I'm missing any hardware sequencing, but I'm very happy with Numerology and will likely add another CV.OCD. Also not much in the way of effects, but I'm looking at going with pedals for some of that.

Any other ideas?

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:07 am

How about throwing some samples into the mix? Not sure whether the Disting 3 cuts it as a sample player, but the 4 is great. What I like to do is get a sample playing nice and slow, then randomise the start point and loop length and blend the result with the rest of the patch. For that kind of thing, and if you're interested in listening to things pan out (I'm very much a hands-off wiggler myself) I'd definitely recommend a matrix VCA.

:cloud:

Edit: If you're interested in hearing what that sounds like, check out "Gravity Thieves" on my Soundcloud.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:31 am

Once I got a second case I started looking into adding some Euro sequencing to my MIDI sequencing. I like being able to take gates and clocks, manipulate and combine them, and use them for modulation sequencing or secondary lines to accompany a sequence. (So: dividers, probability skippers, burst, Euclidean, etc. and logic -- mostly things that can take arbitrary gates rather than needing to sync to a steady clock.)

I also like being able to dial in pitches by ear rather than placing them on a piano roll. CV.OCD is good for that since it's got all those extra gate/clock outputs to trigger things, or run through a matrix mixer for a crude DAC.

(In theory, I still like the idea of setting up a second case as a standalone voice. In practice, I think that would be a smaller case than the Mantis I picked up, and might either have some redundancy with the main case or discourage as much mix-and-match as I tend to go for. I don't really know what the optimal way to split my stuff between two cases would be, but that's probably not it.)

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:46 am

I just moved my leftovers to a 2nd case. I'd like it to be self sufficient and at the same time complement the first case. My 2nd case will be more west coast and random. The first thing I had to do (and still need to work on) is the self sufficient part. Had to add some filters a vca and a vco.

Both cases are in my signature...

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:06 am

after i saw this video i knew i need an sample and hold and a quantizer ;)

everyone needs more s&h ;)

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:11 am

Like you, I’m more of a patcher than a wiggler.

The WMD SSM is a superb idea, although I wouldn’t buy the expander until you’re sure you really want it.

I recommend taking a close look at Noise Engineering’s various timing control modules.

For interesting animation capabilities, take a look at Just Friends and Black Octasource.

wiggies
Common Wiggler

Post by wiggies » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
How about throwing some samples into the mix? Not sure whether the Disting 3 cuts it as a sample player, but the 4 is great.
I've not played much with the sampling in Disting, only tried it once to see that it worked. But yes, this would be a good thing, as I want to find ways to incorporate my spoken word pieces.
nce I got a second case I started looking into adding some Euro sequencing to my MIDI sequencing. I like being able to take gates and clocks, manipulate and combine them, and use them for modulation sequencing or secondary lines to accompany a sequence. (So: dividers, probability skippers, burst, Euclidean, etc. and logic -- mostly things that can take arbitrary gates rather than needing to sync to a steady clock.)
I'm definitely looking at hardware sequencers, for stepped modulations, which I use a lot of in Numerology. I do have some of this capability with o_C and Frames Parasites. I'm going to study this carefully though, as I'm not entirely sure what feature set I'm after.
he WMD SSM is a superb idea, although I wouldn’t buy the expander until you’re sure you really want it.

I recommend taking a close look at Noise Engineering’s various timing control modules.

For interesting animation capabilities, take a look at Just Friends and Black Octasource.
SSM is hot on my list of things to get as I think it would open a lot of possibilities. I'll certainly be taking a look at the NE stuff--they hadn't occurred to me. And Just Friends and Black Octasource are complete mysteries to me, so thanks for the suggestions!

Homepage Englisch
Common Wiggler

Post by Homepage Englisch » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:47 am

I'm at this same exact point. I'm planning to populate 2nd case with some effects, and some complex cv generator(s), as well as more vca's, macro, and bit of logic modules. But first things first: buffered multiples!

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 am

If you like to patch up something complex and then just listen to it, you can’t go wrong with NLC triple sloths.

As a more unusual option, patch up something complicated, then run the six outs of Mr Grassi to unused CV inputs. When you touch MrG it scrambles the levels on those inputs. When you let go it holds. It is like a hyperspace button that lets you jump around a space of possible patches.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:06 am

williamjturkel wrote:As a more unusual option, patch up something complicated, then run the six outs of Mr Grassi to unused CV inputs. When you touch MrG it scrambles the levels on those inputs. When you let go it holds. It is like a hyperspace button that lets you jump around a space of possible patches.
:eek:

Of course, what I'm thinking now is how to patch that with what I already have... :hyper:

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:09 am

cptnal wrote:
williamjturkel wrote:As a more unusual option, patch up something complicated, then run the six outs of Mr Grassi to unused CV inputs. When you touch MrG it scrambles the levels on those inputs. When you let go it holds. It is like a hyperspace button that lets you jump around a space of possible patches.

Of course, what I'm thinking now is how to patch that with what I already have... :hyper:
Six sample and holds and a trigger to fire them simultaneously should do the trick :tu:

blacklight
Common Wiggler

Post by blacklight » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:15 am

Even though you said you wanted to use external stuff for effects I do think a granular processor might be interesting: Clouds, Nebulae or that new mordax thing.

You might want to experiment with random, maybe you don't like the super extreme stuff but even adding a bit of synched S&H to stuff can humanize it quite nicely, or using smooth randoms to change big soundsources like the braids can be fun. For that Ultra Random Analog is nice, or Qu-Bit Chanche. If you are more of an addac guy there are some interesting modules like the marble generator or their own version of the URA.

Mults? I love them, The 2HP intellijel is very popular, I recently started using the Livestock Electronics Felix and it's super fun.

Waveshapers? maybe an analgo shift register?

Or one of those cool new 2HP modules, Freeze and Comb
Experimental musician, Mastering engineer, lover of sine waves.

My Bandcamp

My Modular Setup - My Twitter - My Instagram

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:45 am

A lot of good suggestions so far.
I found that I really needed this to connect 2 cases
Doepfer LAN module

They are still hard to get, but will be readily available soon.
I want to use it to send clock signals and M.I. Grids outputs to the 2nd case.

Foghorn
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 am

williamjturkel wrote:
cptnal wrote:

Six sample and holds and a trigger to fire them simultaneously should do the trick :tu:
Maaaaan! I really need to get that A148 back in the rack.

Sorry, sorry, sorry, wiggies. So's not to appear like I'm derailing the thread, like blacklight says, sample and hold is definitely something worth looking into. The Doepfer A148 is cheap as chips and only 4hp. :party:

jimboburgess
Common Wiggler

Post by jimboburgess » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am

Sequencers tied to other sequencers are where I find it's at when it comes to setting up a patch and letting it play.

I have three currently that all play off the same clock as I don't have a proper clock divider. I will send a trigger/gate from the first in line to the next and so on. So each sequencer is essentially getting a divided clock signal. The cool thing is it's division is set upon how many gates the sequencer before it is sending.

For a while I was looking at getting a clock divider but now that I have patched this way for a while I don;t think I need one, especially adding a Euclidean Circles soon.

This is my first rack solution. Going into my second box I have a better idea of where I want to go with my tunes and what i need to do it. I hope to complete everything I need with LFOs and a Voltage block as a sequencer. I have largely overlooked sound sources and also Have a few lined up that I'm looking to add.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”