Mutable Instruments Plaits

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Happy.Cyclist
Learning to Wiggle

Mutable Instruments Plaits

Post by Happy.Cyclist » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:06 pm

O)))

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:16 pm

looks awesome, love most of the design choices EXCEPT ditching the display for those cryptic LEDs. I hate Clouds for that reason.

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:18 pm

I've been lucky enough to be working with Plaits for a few months now and made that video this week. It's by no means exhaustive but hopefully shows *some* of the capabilities.

Happy to answer any specific questions that crop up as a result of the video (in terms of stuff I've explained badly) but as always with MI stuff, the manual and the design are so thorough and logical that you'll likely just get it.

So much range and quality in a tiny footprint and there's lots of really handy utility built in there too.

The interface might look a little daunting/confusing but you get used to it super quick (at least I found that to be the case).

Love it.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:22 pm

In stock now!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

rishin
Common Wiggler

Post by rishin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 pm

I lust; I jones; I hanker.

apfEID
electro-vivisection

Post by apfEID » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 pm

Genuinely impressed by the price drop compared to Braids. $259 vs $399. Really appreciate that.

Demo sounds are lovely. Maybe this is the digital oscillator I’ve been looking for...
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://anthonysaunders.bandcamp.com/

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:24 pm

SUPER excited about this one. Loved Braids, and this one is even more impressive!

(had these sitting here since this morning but not been able to tell anyone til 5pm - SOOOOOOO hard!!! :)

Wick
Common Wiggler

Post by Wick » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:24 pm

very nice finally no more menu dive one of reasons reason i sold my braids
Last edited by Wick on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keelhauler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by keelhauler » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:25 pm

What is the module left of Plaits in the video?

Happy.Cyclist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Happy.Cyclist » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:28 pm

erstlaub wrote:I've been lucky enough to be working with Plaits for a few months now and made that video this week. It's by no means exhaustive but hopefully shows *some* of the capabilities.

Happy to answer any specific questions that crop up as a result of the video (in terms of stuff I've explained badly) but as always with MI stuff, the manual and the design are so thorough and logical that you'll likely just get it.

So much range and quality in a tiny footprint and there's lots of really handy utility built in there too.

The interface might look a little daunting/confusing but you get used to it super quick (at least I found that to be the case).

Love it.
I think you did a great job!

The price point for this module is insane, just a shame I have to wait til payday before I can get my hands on one.
O)))

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:30 pm

Cheers Matt, ordered. Been waiting for a Braids for awhile, this’ll do nicely
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

Hidden_Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Hidden_Path » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:34 pm

:sb:

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aroom » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:34 pm

erstlaub wrote:I've been lucky enough to be working with Plaits for a few months
so it wasn't donut's grease on your lens then, wasn't it? :hmm:

beliefsystemrecords
Common Wiggler

Post by beliefsystemrecords » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:38 pm

not really sure i agree with getting rid of the display. the cryptic leds suck. dont like them on clouds. also warps should have a display.

flocked
Common Wiggler

Post by flocked » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:40 pm

beliefsystemrecords wrote:not really sure i agree with getting rid of the display. the cryptic leds suck. dont like them on clouds. also warps should have a display.
I think it's much easier to remember all the modes with these leds instead of the display where you have to scroll until you find the mode you want. With the leds you just remember the position of your favourite mode.

Also: There is a new MI module on the left side of the video. It looks like some kind of envelope. Each time the release of the envelope starts the LED of the slider starts getting green.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 pm

I've also been beta testing Plaits for a few months. I haven't made any demos as such, but I did use it quite a bit on my recent album and have a few other recordings I've been sitting on -- I should post some of those when I get a chance :)

It is a really well designed module. I went through the manual at first, trying out the different models. Then I made myself a cheat sheet that lists which algorithms are which -- but I have never actually referred to it or the manual again. :mrgreen:

The built-in envelope is handy and sounds great with the internal LPG. I am in love with some of the models -- I keep coming back to the vocal one to use it in surprising ways, and I find the Karplus and model models a lot of fun to mingle with my Rings (dividing incoming note triggers between them via a clock divider or Euclidean sequencer).

steveoath
Common Wiggler

Post by steveoath » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:43 pm

keelhauler wrote:What is the module left of Plaits in the video?
A very pertinent question! Is this where the rumor mill goes into overdrive :hmm:

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:51 pm

:yay:

This is perfect news to wake up to.

rishin
Common Wiggler

Post by rishin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:59 pm

Does there exist another digital oscillator that covers as wide a range of synthesis techniques as this? :hmm:

jburzy
Common Wiggler

Post by jburzy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:03 pm

wow...I was just thinking about what digital osc I wanted to get and then I see this. I'm sold!

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:09 pm

I can't see this replacing my Braids...maybe as an adjunct.
*phnert*

shoottofill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shoottofill » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:11 pm

do i pick up a used braids or go for plaits......good problem to have i guess.

kurodama
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kurodama » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:11 pm

To those of you who feel the LEDs are worse than the display. I'm a bit surprised you'd call the 4 LEDs on Clouds cryptic, I mean, once you know what they do (and that usually takes just 5 minutes of playing around with the module= it's pretty easy to associate each with their function. After all it's just 4 LEDs/symbols. LEDs + icons are a superior solution in various ways, you can remember which mode is which by position, instead of having to memorize some acronyms (aren't they just as cryptic?), most human beings remember things by position easier than if they are letters in some virtual space inside a display, though of course everybody is different.

shoottofill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shoottofill » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:12 pm

kurodama wrote:To those of you who feel the LEDs are worse than the display. I'm a bit surprised you'd call the 4 LEDs on Clouds cryptic, I mean, once you know what they do (and that usually takes just 5 minutes of playing around with the module= it's pretty easy to associate each with their function. After all it's just 4 LEDs/symbols. LEDs + icons are a superior solution in various ways, you can remember which mode is which by position, instead of having to memorize some acronyms (aren't they just as cryptic?), most human beings remember things by position easier than if they are letters in some virtual space inside a display, though of course everybody is different.
I'm new to all of this, but i'm appreciating more and more modules that i dont have to remember menu levels and buried functions. But to each their own.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:13 pm

From what I read, this can go low enough to be used as an LFO, is that true?

I would like to know more about the chord mode. It looks like it would be good for dub techno or detroit techno-type stabs, any thoughts?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”