how are you sequencing all of your voices?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

BDProject
Common Wiggler

Post by BDProject » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:58 am

ER-101/102 + Metropolis. I usually use one track of the 101 for modulating drums.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:03 pm

BDProject wrote:ER-101/102 + Metropolis. I usually use one track of the 101 for modulating drums.
I have a 101 but have yet to add the 102; how do you use it and do you find it indispensable ? I know you can record CV with it; can you also record gate patterns ?

It's a quite expensive expander which seems to offer a lot of function and I'm not certain I'd use them all; thus not certain I need it.

chipsnqueso124
1-Post Wiggler

Post by chipsnqueso124 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:06 pm

I'm using the Eloquencer and I love it so far.

BDProject
Common Wiggler

Post by BDProject » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:22 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
BDProject wrote:ER-101/102 + Metropolis. I usually use one track of the 101 for modulating drums.
I have a 101 but have yet to add the 102; how do you use it and do you find it indispensable ? I know you can record CV with it; can you also record gate patterns ?

It's a quite expensive expander which seems to offer a lot of function and I'm not certain I'd use them all; thus not certain I need it.
The 102 is very deep and, imo, takes the 101 to a whole other level. I've only recently started to explore it, but it basically allows me to play entire structured tracks with the combo. Because I want to use it in a Live setting, it's really ideal. With the 102, you can build your sequence in a way that allows you to move between the different parts of your track, and introduce elements of improvisation or randomness due to the CV inputs of the 102. Of course, you can also use it in a totally pre-determined way.

For example, you can split your track in say 4 parts, and transition between any of these parts fairly easily. You can do 1/2/3/4, or you can do 2/3/2/4/1/4, or whatever you want really! Then, by using snapshots, you can just transition to another track and do the same thing with it. With enough snapshots saved, it's easy to imagine playing for hours this way.

I have used the record function and it's amazing for when I want to record a really specific composition that I've made in my DAW for instance (I use the ES-3 to send CV from the DAW). I have also used it to record nice sequences made on the Metropolis. I'm not sure about gate patterns, but I believe it's also possible to do that (for now I don't worry about gates and just modify gate time after recording the pitch CV if necessary).

I'm not a 101/102 expert though, so take my word with a grain of salt. I'm still looking for the ideal way to control the 102. Maybe Pressure Points :)

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:20 pm

o_C
Brainseed
Marbles
Rene

But yesterday I just received Grid + Ansible and it's truly stunning. Rene will be for sale, I'm sure of that.

stylesforfree
Common Wiggler

Post by stylesforfree » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:50 pm

I use Pam's workout, 2 mother 32's, Rene and metropolis along with a doepfer clock divider. Mostly 4/4 head nodding rhythms are made. It's a good setup and I think Pam's is the perfect eurorack clock brain.

Jasonic
Common Wiggler

Post by Jasonic » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:03 am

I have been using Tiptop Circadian Rhythms as my main clock. I use Beatstep pro, Stepper Acid, Grids, Sequence 8, Turing Machine, and Octocontroller all clocked by the CR using 07 Buff Mult's and a 4ms RCD to distrubute the clocks and resets.
I have just recently acquired the Beatstep Pro. It is really great. So far my favorite thing about it is sending resets to create odd time signatures.

b9
Common Wiggler

Post by b9 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:05 pm

hyena wrote:i mainly use rené + ornament&crime.
the o_c has opened my system in many ways
i use it to drive 4 voices in various situations:
-copier maschine (analog shift register) often followed by additional s&h and clock div modules to pick up notes and hold em for longer periods
-automatonnetz & harrington 1200 to explore the neo-riemaniann theory and application for musical results
-quad quantizer with or without turing machines.

i have to add soon i'll buy a monome grid + ansible and want to explore his sequencing capabilities.
but o_c is the fvckin holy grail !
just discovered this combination of Rene + PP + O_C. This backed by VG8+VB driving drums and bass and my GAS is sated... for now

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:51 pm

s143 and mimetic digitalis and temps utile

or keystep + temps :minimoog:

Dedal
Common Wiggler

Post by Dedal » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:04 am

I’m happy with squarp hermod, but I really love ornament
PARATEK - aesthetics of the Soviet cyberpunk!
Grid: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/vendors/view/749
insta: http://www.instagram.com/paratekorg/

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:09 am

(...ok, I do use an SQ-1 sometimes, or Stages. Marbles and Teletype for generative/algorithmic stuff. And when the full moon comes out I might even use a short MIDI loop in my DAW.)

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:41 am

Ableton CV tools + a WMD Metron which will hopefully reach nirvana when the Voltera companion module is released any day now.....

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:06 pm

mimeophon, marbles, varigate, voltage block, Pam's, O_C for euro. Grids usually clocks some tappable lfo's.
Elektron sequencers for everything else.

Trying to decide between er-101 and vector sequencer as a next purchase. leaning towards vector as I still have no idea how to use the er-101, but I seem to be less interested in melodies lately, more interested in modifications / looping of un-quantized cv. Any input? Marbles works ok for this in combo with the mimeophon, but it still feels lacking.

Will also be picking up numeric / zularic repetitors / NE's burst generator at some point.

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:34 pm

I use a bunch of different sequencers and a couple of different clocks and quantizers.

PM Foundations Synthola Sequencer
Analogue Solutions Eurokorn Sequencer
d:Machinery Black Seq Sequencer (X2)
PM Foundations QuantOct Quantizer
Ladik Quant Quantizer
ALM Pamela's Workout Clock
PM Foundations State Machine (EG but I use it as an odd clock)
2HP Clk Clock
Plus various logic modules, switches, toggles, etc.

And, although this is way out there, sometimes I even play lines with a keyboard!

cowboyelectronics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cowboyelectronics » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:00 pm

4MS SMR in 1V/OCT mode

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:09 pm

first started with using octatrack / digitakt via a CV.OCD i still use that setup with my band

if im playing on my own i use the nerdseq in the box for up to 6 voices and sending up to 16 gates to drums

in my second case voltage block with various sequential switches for longer sequences and variate 8 for everything else

in my third case using metropolis for most immediate and hands on melodies

sometimes i think metropolis + vco + kick is all i would ever need :hmm:

hel1
Common Wiggler

Post by hel1 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Eloquencer, Hermod, Harmonaig, O&C, and a bunch of logic modules in combination with Batumi and Rampage. that does the trick for me at the moment.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:49 pm

Polyend SEQ teamed with Polyend Poly. That gives 8 tracks of incoming data, but I also output the MIDI clock from SEQ to an Erica MIDI to CV module and that distributes clock info around the system.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Usta and Marbles

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Re: how are you sequencing all of your voices?

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:51 am

Hey, this thread is dying out. Sequencers are fascinating so keep ‘em coming!

I have used many sequencers. Metropolis was the first and its hands-on-ness was the best!
But, it’s only one voice. Sure, sample and hold and other funky modules could spread that out to a lot more, but I like to be able to deliberately program sequences for individual voices.

So after much ado I now love the Five 12 Vector above all. It’s so immediate and fun!
You need the expander or a midi to cv module to get more pitch/gate lanes into your modular, but that’s fine for me. I use a Monome Ansible and CV.OCD for that.
I use the drum mode to control all four voices of the QD, and chord mode through midi to a non modular polysynth. Fantastic.

Nerdseq is waiting in a skiff to be explored, but the sheer fun I‘m having with Vector is keeping me from that for now.

newrun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by newrun » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:31 pm

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:51 am
So after much ado I now love the Five 12 Vector above all. It’s so immediate and fun!
You need the expander or a midi to cv module to get more pitch/gate lanes into your modular, but that’s fine for me. I use a Monome Ansible and CV.OCD for that.
I use the drum mode to control all four voices of the QD, and chord mode through midi to a non modular polysynth. Fantastic.
Would you recommend the Ansible over the Vector Expander to get more CV/Gates for the Vector?

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:41 pm

Frap Tools USTA - I use this to sequence more "loop-oriented" or more traditional modular-type sequences, and make a lot of use out of its probability features. I can use this for 4 monophonic or duophonic voices (it can do 8 pitch CV outputs on 4 tracks).
Intellijel µMIDI - I use this more for a lead voice - with pitch, gate, trigger, mod wheel and velocity outputs.
Expert Sleepers FH-2. Eight outputs usually set up as one big voice (pitch, gate, trigger, mod wheel), and then two voice each with pitch and gate.
All in, I can do 8 different voices all driven by Ableton Live, with the USTA being clocked from Intellijel µMIDI - but I don't have enough oscillators to actually do that - so its more about options for sequencing workflow.

mylomod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mylomod » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:23 pm

I just got the Eloquencer, been learning that. Before it was a combination of Rene, MFB 1, Lifeforms Micro,

Bigiota
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bigiota » Wed May 13, 2020 2:24 am

Hi guys, I'm new to Muffwiggler and am still figuring out how to... well, do most things.
I've got a question (but couldn't find the 'post a new question' button) about the Varigate 8+.
I got a V.1 on eBay and am still in the process of learning to use it. I'm having some issues with various modes and was wondering whether I was mistaken in installing the latest firmware 2 in a V.1 Varigate..? I figured at the time of installing that V.1 will work with the latest firmware.
Is this so?
I'd love for someone to answer this basic question, just to ease my mind. Cheers!

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Wed May 13, 2020 6:11 am

Bigiota wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:24 am
Hi guys, I'm new to Muffwiggler and am still figuring out how to... well, do most things.
I've got a question (but couldn't find the 'post a new question' button) about the Varigate 8+.
I got a V.1 on eBay and am still in the process of learning to use it. I'm having some issues with various modes and was wondering whether I was mistaken in installing the latest firmware 2 in a V.1 Varigate..? I figured at the time of installing that V.1 will work with the latest firmware.
Is this so?
I'd love for someone to answer this basic question, just to ease my mind. Cheers!
I can't imagine a FW upgrade would not be compatible with all Varigate 8's, as a non Varigate user, I'd recommend asking people over at this thread for help as they will most likely be able to help you more clearly.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=161404&p=3251050&h ... e#p3251050

Return to “Eurorack Modules”