how are you sequencing all of your voices?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

operator808
Common Wiggler

Post by operator808 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:51 am

FLXS-1 all the way.

xx

rklem
Common Wiggler

Post by rklem » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 am

Mostly these days its:

ER-101/102
Modcan Touch Sequencer

I do have some others kicking around (PP+Brains, Rene, Ansible/Arc, Voltage Block as well as gate sequencers) but after using these two which both allow for variable note length and gate length in relation to each other, its hard to go back to the simple analog-clock-progresses-forward-one-step paradigm.
That's interesting – especially considering your collection of other sequencers. I'm not interested in rhythmical/techno/drum based stuff (more ambient/musique concrète/sample manipulation) and want to leave the typical grid-based 16th-step-sequencer-paradigm. That's why I'm also considering to take the ER-101/102 route. What makes me hesitate is that it looks like the opposite of playable, but perhaps that's just a matter of practice?

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:54 pm

rklem wrote:
Mostly these days its:

ER-101/102
Modcan Touch Sequencer

I do have some others kicking around (PP+Brains, Rene, Ansible/Arc, Voltage Block as well as gate sequencers) but after using these two which both allow for variable note length and gate length in relation to each other, its hard to go back to the simple analog-clock-progresses-forward-one-step paradigm.
That's interesting – especially considering your collection of other sequencers. I'm not interested in rhythmical/techno/drum based stuff (more ambient/musique concrète/sample manipulation) and want to leave the typical grid-based 16th-step-sequencer-paradigm. That's why I'm also considering to take the ER-101/102 route. What makes me hesitate is that it looks like the opposite of playable, but perhaps that's just a matter of practice?
I've only had my 101/102 for two weeks, but I think it's pretty playable. The fact that you can split steps and then modify step lengths without changing the total time is really what drives that point home to me. Additionally, you can edit stuff while it's playing and then insert it when you're done editing. So you can add entire patterns/sequences and just drop it in all at once, in time. And that's not even touching the 102, which I haven't even managed to touch myself, yet. It definitely takes practice to get this stuff down, but it feels like the possibilities are infinite.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:19 pm

operator808 wrote:FLXS-1 all the way.

xx
do you have any other sequencers?
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

jburzy
Common Wiggler

Post by jburzy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:20 pm

redonyellow wrote:
2 huge problems with Grid + Ansible. #1 you are limited to the amount of voices, #2 price. However, it is a pretty piece of equipment.
Can't grid + ansible be a 4 track sequencer? I don't find that too limiting, I won't ever need more than 4 voices.

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:09 am

2x Beatstep Pro

EDIT: + lots of quanizers, LFOs, mixers, Turing Machine, anything I can think of really...
Last edited by a773 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:43 am

Random assortment of stuff go's into my quantizers, the quantizer's output's control the voices.

The freedom with using quantizers means I can sequence the voices with anything; looping LFO/envelopes, memory banks, S&H stuff, etc etc. (or everything listed, chopped with VC switches)

If i do use an external sequencer (DAW) it's usually only to control a specific set of movements, that i dont have enough hands to control myself. Rarely is it a 1v/o sequence.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:24 am

spukhaft wrote:Roland MC-303
Division 6 Dual Mini Sequencer
Arduino Uno with a midi shield.
@spukhaft

I assume that you are using a MIDI module to be able to use the MC-303 with Eurorack.

Which MIDI modules are you using and does it output gates or triggers as well as CV?

Foghorn

Knew there was a reason I kept that MC-303
Last edited by Foghorn on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:06 pm

LoFi Junglist wrote:Random assortment of stuff go's into my quantizers, the quantizer's output's control the voices.

The freedom with using quantizers means I can sequence the voices with anything; looping LFO/envelopes, memory banks, S&H stuff, etc etc. (or everything listed, chopped with VC switches)

If i do use an external sequencer (DAW) it's usually only to control a specific set of movements, that i dont have enough hands to control myself. Rarely is it a 1v/o sequence.
Whitch quantizers do you use if I may ask?
My imagination is my inspiration...
Instagram: @jungleofwires

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:37 pm

I should have posted this before, oh well.
I am using Voltage Block, Stepper Acid, Pittsburgh micro sequence and a Rene (with a switch panel installed).

Plus I have 3 Ladik S-143 sequencers. Very powerful for a 4HP sequencer.
Ladik S-143 sequencer
They can do 8 step or 16 step patterns(or random patterns), but from 4 notes and 4 knobs.
They have 4 pattern banks, two banks are 8-step, two banks are 16-step long. (selectable with 2 jumpers on rear of module)
I bought the 4HP switch module to switch both jumpers from front panels.
I also have 2 Ladik S-180, S-183 sequencer pairs.
Ladik S-180 sequencer
and
Ladik S-183 sequencer voltage knob module
I have the S-180 sequencers going into a doepfer dual quantizer and then a doepfer precision adder module.
Crazy syncopated sequence patterns.
These Ladik sequencers are crazy cheap_$56 to $68 ea.
They are super simple and easy to use.
I notice that mylarmelodies is set up with S-180, 183, precision adder deal also. (doh, his vid showed me how to use it correctly after I had all of it for 6 months) :confused:
Anyway, I just ordered a DuSeq as I am most impressed with the step count switches on it.
I also have a large Turing suite, but I do not really consider it a sequencer.

Foghorn
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Yloopz wrote:
LoFi Junglist wrote:Random assortment of stuff go's into my quantizers, the quantizer's output's control the voices.

Sorry to bring this up in response to your post, I sincerely don't mean to offend you – but why does everything need to be turned into a shopping list? Can we acknowledge for a second that this is a cool concept possibly worthy of further discussion?

You can use any quantizer for this, just get one that appeals to you. My advice is to think patches, not modules. For some more ideas along the same lines, let me bump my post from the last page:
listentoaheartbeat wrote:My approach to multi-voice patches with my small system is to derive sequences from existing signals by sampling them with S&H/Quantizers. So for example sample the same complex sequence at different rates for each voice, or sample/quantize synced LFOs, or mix clock and gate signals and sample/quantize those, or mix a sequence with other signals before the quantizer, or send a sequence to a DC-coupled delay and then quantize it.

Thinking about how I can reuse the signals in my patch for different purposes often leads to the most interesting results. Also the patches become so convoluted (in a good way) that they really live and breath. Generally speaking, the approach is to not compartmentalize patches (this is a voice, that is sequencing, here I have some modulation, there some effects), but rather create integrated systems of signals that you tap for different purposes.
Last edited by listentoaheartbeat on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:21 pm

listentoaheartbeat wrote:
Yloopz wrote:

Sorry to bring this up in response to your post, I sincerely don't mean to offend you – but why does everything need to be turned into a shopping list? Can we acknowledge for a second that this is a cool concept possibly worthy of further discussion?

You can use any quantizer for this, just get one that appeals to you. My advice is to think patches, not modules. For some more ideas along the same lines, let me bump my post from the last page:
listentoaheartbeat wrote:My approach to multi-voice patches with my small system is to derive sequences from existing signals by sampling them with S&H/Quantizers. So for example sample the same complex sequence at different rates for each voice, or sample/quantize synced LFOs, or mix clock and gate signals and sample/quantize those, or mix a sequence with other signals before the quantizer, or send a sequence to a DC-coupled delay and then quantize it.

Thinking about how I can reuse the signals in my patch for different purposes often leads to the most interesting results. Also the patches become so convoluted (in a good way) that they really live and breath. Generally speaking, the approach is to not compartmentalize patches (this is a voice, that is sequencing, here I have some modulation, there some effects), but rather create integrated systems of signals that you tap for different purposes.
Seconded. Embrace the Gentle Art of Patching! :zen: :cloud:

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:47 pm

Well for the better part of a year I have been content with using my Circadian Rithyms, Z8000, and Trigger Riot to run everything. Then one day I thought to myself "Self, there's something missing here." I started looking into Boolean and purchased a Plog, which played very well with my rarely used Time Runner.

After playing with that combination for a while I picked up 4MS Clock Multiplier and breakout board kits and put them together. Now I haven't touched the CR for a couple of weeks, I'm running everything with the Time Runner/Plog/Clock Multiplier combination. For a little experiment I clocked the Trigger Riot with one of the multiplier outputs for some interesting variations. The icing on the cake is that I can modulate almost every aspect of timing; it's a steep learning curve but well worth the effort, I'm on the verge of turning bleeps and bloops into modular jazz, if that's possible.

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Uuhmmmm.... :hmm:

Well i am not on the fence of bying one so I wasnt after that... pfff... its just my curiousity, is that wrong? Maybe I can learn something on how I can use my quantisers. Because the quantisers I have are all a bit.... well... the same. I like to know what I can do to make my sequences more interesting. And that is what the thread ment for right? So a new question then... how are you using your quantiser without a 1v/o sequence...

So sorry to interupt, now go on with this interesting thread...

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Yloopz wrote:Uuhmmmm.... :hmm:

Well i am not on the fence of bying one so I wasnt after that... pfff... its just my curiousity, is that wrong? Maybe I can learn something on how I can use my quantisers. Because the quantisers I have are all a bit.... well... the same. I like to know what I can do to make my sequences more interesting. And that is what the thread ment for right? So a new question then... how are you using your quantiser without a 1v/o sequence...

A valid point. You see some threads asking, "how do I make my sequences more interesting" but maybe the answer is not to use sequences at all... :hmm:

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:00 pm

cptnal wrote:

A valid point. You see some threads asking, "how do I make my sequences more interesting" but maybe the answer is not to use sequences at all... :hmm:
Now its getting interesting :hyper: but, yes, maybe this thread is not the right one to ask about patch ideas/technics.

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Yloopz wrote:

I use a pair of 'Flame Tame Machines', because they have voltage control over their Scale and 'keynote'. I usually mult the same CV to both of their Scale inputs, so they're always quantizing to the same scale.

Flame Tame machines are discontinued, but the Tiptop quantizer also has CV over scale, and i'm sure there's a few others that do the same. It helps add variation to a sequence that's repeating.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: how are you sequencing all of your voices?

Post by EPTC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:13 pm

jburzy wrote:like the title says, how is everyone sequencing all of their voices?
Great question.

I actually use my Moogerfooger CP-251 as my master clock. Send the LFO to the clock input of Pamela's New Workout, and mult to other clock inputs, so the CP-251 is usable as a nice big dial to quickly adjust everything in tandem, as needed. It's a really nice smooth-as-butter LFO, too.

Pam's sends a number of divisions to various other sources from that clock, including the sequence timing to sequencers; A great point about Pam's is the offset ability, so some pulses can have a delay and not every note happens at once. Also use a Dotcom Gate Math, a Moon Trigger Sequencer, and a Euclidean Rhythms, and then can all be shut on/off as needed for great live recording. Between all of those everything that has a sync or a clock input is nicely served and immediately reconfigurable. I really enjoy how it all goes back to the dial on the CP-251.

Here's a photo of that system:

Did a post on reddit about it yesterday, including talk about patching.
SPOKEN WORD WITH ELECTRONICS, New Releases on EPTC, Spring/Summer 2020:
"This is the TRUTH!": https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-the-truth
"A Portable Paul Krassner": https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/paul-krassner

This week's show is on how get your work banned on Facebook, even if you don't mean it to be:

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:51 pm

René, Tempi, RYO Penta, Knight's Gallop, Bishop's Miscellany, Keystep, Doepfer A-156, Doepfer A-185-2, DIY OR-combiner, Wogglebug, LFOs.
Wow, just realized that about a third of my system is dedicated to sequencing :woah:

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Well i am not on the fence of bying one so I wasnt after that... pfff... its just my curiousity, is that wrong? Maybe I can learn something on how I can use
my quantisers.
Yes, and I wanted to encourage exactly that. Instead of making it about the modules themselves.
Because the quantisers I have are all a bit.... well... the same. I like to know what I can do to make my sequences more interesting. And that is what the thread ment for right? So a new question then... how are you using your quantiser without a 1v/o sequence...
Quantizers turn anything into a 1V/octave sequence. Do you mean how I use them without sequences from a sequencer? This is exactly what LoFi Junglist and I describe in the above posts. If you are interested in any of the patches I hint at, feel free to ask.
Yloopz wrote:Now its getting interesting :hyper: but, yes, maybe this thread is not the right one to ask about patch ideas/technics.
Why not? :despair:

operator808
Common Wiggler

Post by operator808 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:09 am

Jaypee wrote:
operator808 wrote:FLXS-1 all the way.

xx
do you have any other sequencers?
Most certainly do. Bindubba, Pico SEQ.

FLXS-1 handles all my multi-voice melodic duties though, saves patterns too.

xx

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:53 am

Yloopz wrote:Now its getting interesting :hyper: but, yes, maybe this thread is not the right one to ask about patch ideas/technics.
Indeed.

So here's a few that put me on the road to the "who needs a sequencer anyway" mindset. They explain it so much better than I could.

And Dinko was a bit late to the party as far as my own journey was concerned, but he does such cool stuff the more people see it the better, IMHO
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsKL85 ... 582rfIvxeQ

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:45 am

cptnal wrote:
Indeed.

So here's a few that put me on the road to the "who needs a sequencer anyway" mindset. They explain it so much better than I could.

And Dinko was a bit late to the party as far as my own journey was concerned, but he does such cool stuff the more people see it the better, IMHO
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsKL85 ... 582rfIvxeQ
This is great! Thank you!

s.l.o.w
Common Wiggler

Post by s.l.o.w » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Ableton Live / Push 2 / Expert Sleepers Silent Way and hardware. I tried to do everything in the rack, with two Eloquencers at one point, but I sold them and went back to the computer. The Eloquencers are great, but Ableton's clips and scenes (and Max/Max for Live for additional flexibility craziness) work so much better for me than the Elo's patterns and chaining, and I can set up the computer/ES gear for as many CV per voice as I want.

Placid Mouse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Placid Mouse » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:41 pm

I typically use Rene for one voice, Metropolis for another and then note lanes in Ableton via the Expert Sleepers Es-8 for the others.

If I run out of sequencers then I'll tend to make either sound fx (white noise swells, weird bleeps and bloops etc) or just in tune tones coming from oscillators, feed them into VCA's or LPG's and open them with gates, envelopes, LFO's or other modulation.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”