how are you sequencing all of your voices?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:05 pm

savethisrocketship wrote:
Audiodog wrote:Anyone loving their Eloquencer. I have one on order but still not sure if i'll like it?
As stated above I sold mine with no regrets. I didn't love some of the back-end to getting pattern chains/songs up & running and I didn't like using the buttons to 'live record', they just weren't responsive enough - I had a much better time on my Seq 1 (and that's not saying much).

However there's a lot to love: simultaneous visual feedback for all 8 tracks is great, especially if yr sequencing drums. The controlled chance/probability implementation was really nice, editing for gate length & some of the CV in features we good, too. I haven't kept up with its development but if they are able to implement all the stuff that was promised (LFOs, Run/Stop) and some of the user requests then I think it's a home run for most people & especially people who are 100% in-the-rack.

I think new firmware has just dropped inc LFOs and a much better pattern chaining set up...
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

franman69
Veteran Wiggler

Post by franman69 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Eloquencer... of course

Tenderosa
Common Wiggler

Post by Tenderosa » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:26 am

Multiple instances of monosequencer https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/get-kno ... ycling-74/ in Max for Live. Very playable & inventive.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:42 am

ER101 - Very intuitive and easy to understand. Once you understand the workflow, which in my opinion is extremely easy to grasp, you can develop some detailed and complex lengthy sequences.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:37 am

I use 4 miditracks of the octatrack -> shuttle control. the flexible setup of the shuttlecontrol's presets that can be changed by octas patternchange via programchange makes it very capable. for liveuse its great (taking the audioparts of the octatrack into account: sampling, layering and FX)

the new conditional triggers in the octa is also a bliss.

I'd love to have all of this in the rack but I'd need another 60-80 hp for this.

I would go the ladik s-180 route if I wanted to do some modular style sequencing.

geetee
Common Wiggler

Post by geetee » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:15 am

Currently using a Stillson Hammer MK2 for 4 sequences of cv/gate going to Dixie II+, Pico Voice, DPO and Klavis Twin Waves. Just got the Hammer last week, and i already feel like this is the right sequencer for me (after trying out many different ones).

and then i already had the Nerdseq, i'm using it now for triggering and modulating my drum modules. Really cool combo! (especially because of the seq memory of both modules).

Those two should keep me satisfied for a long time. That being said, I think i'm going to get one more, the Four Bricks Rook!

I think the hammer and the four brick would be a powerful setup, especially for improvised sets.

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:43 am

Transient modules S8 clocked via divider from my main clock, into uScale and / or shift input with something else in main is giving me transposed sequences and quickly improvised melodies nicely. lovely little module: cheap, very jammable into a quantiser, if thats your thing. Ladik S180/S182 combo would be similar....

I also have Elo, TM, grids and M32.... very versatile, though the exact opposite of the centralised vibe offered by ER / cirklon etc etc.

my 2c

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hyena » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:48 am

i mainly use rené + ornament&crime.
the o_c has opened my system in many ways
i use it to drive 4 voices in various situations:
-copier maschine (analog shift register) often followed by additional s&h and clock div modules to pick up notes and hold em for longer periods
-automatonnetz & harrington 1200 to explore the neo-riemaniann theory and application for musical results
-quad quantizer with or without turing machines.

i have to add soon i'll buy a monome grid + ansible and want to explore his sequencing capabilities.
but o_c is the fvckin holy grail !

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: how are you sequencing all of your voices?

Post by WaveRider » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:22 pm

jburzy wrote: I am building a system and want to make tracks with up to 4 melodic voices sequenced simultaneously.
...exactly the goal I had I mind when building my modular.

got sequencers early, pressure points, rené, and some others. the fun is in intrermodulating the different sequences. 1 4 steps + 1 8 steps is a good start. Plus quantizers.

borris_yeltzun
Common Wiggler

Post by borris_yeltzun » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:22 pm

Synthstrom Deluge + 2 x Polyend Poly midi Module for 16 channels of cv/gate

Koryo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Koryo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:54 am

borris_yeltzun wrote:Synthstrom Deluge + 2 x Polyend Poly midi Module for 16 channels of cv/gate
+1

Thanks for the subtle tip.

Hyberus
Common Wiggler

Post by Hyberus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:39 am

For me it depends what I'm doing. I often just use Logic, set to external MIDI, via my Scarlet i1820 interface and one or two MIDI/CV converters. However I have a lot more fun with my three Transistor Research Labs Stepper Acids. Two of them control my main modular (which is, at the moment, mainly Doepfer and is currently configured as two twin oscillator synths) while the third either controls my MI Elements or Roland S1M.

Drums and percussion come from two old Alesis DM5 modules, controlled by a Qu-bit Rhythm and two MI Grids. There's also a 2hp Div in there for trigger dividing (polyrhythms etc).

The above is being joined tomorrow by an MI Marbles.

When i'm recording I create a trigger track in Logic, and off we go. The only problem is that the Rhythm, which is usually my master clock, does not respond well to external clocking. Must get onto Qu-bit about that, actually.

Antlerface
Common Wiggler

Post by Antlerface » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:19 am

Right now I’m using Rene, PP/Brains, Tonnetz Sequent, and Euclidean circles, along w the sequencer in my M32.

I have a TSNM on the way to replace PP/Brains (hopefully) as I’m looking for something a bit more versatile than Pressure Points to be able to control things in a similar way, with a bit more functionality.

Just got Tonnetz a week ago, seems kinda “same-ish” the more I use it (if anyone’s got tips lmk).

Rene and Euclidean are both pretty awesome.
doomlove.

My Eurorack

mqmq
Common Wiggler

Post by mqmq » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:23 am

Currently using Ableton and 2x CvPals + the Sonic Potions LXR

thehipcola
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thehipcola » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:07 am

Currently using Rene and PIttsburgh sequencer modules in the rack, but also have been using Reaktor Blocks sequencer modules for extra fun.

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:12 pm

I've been getting interesting results using a Bastl Popcorn, Quantimator, and 2hp Arp in combination to control 3 oscillators and an FM drum voice. Less for definitive sequence writing and more for random/controlled harmony play.

1) One voice per sequencer. Each is set to similar scales/root notes, and they're all fed the same multed LFO or attentuated random source.

2) All voices are fed by the 3 CV Outs on the Quanitmator, which then gets pitch information to its CV In from either the Popcorn or the Arp. This can work for unison lines if the Quanitmator is in scale mode, or more rhythmically interlaced lines depending on the gates being sent to each voice's VCA.

3) CV Out on Popcorn or Arp feeds the Chord CV Input on the Quantimator, creating 3 voice chord progressions. Popcorn offers the biggest advantage here as you can pretty much choose any of the 32 chord combos in Quantimator by dialing them in on each step of Popcorn. If I had two Popcorns i'd use one to control the Tranpose CV In on Quanitmator to get some really expansive harmony going, but for the time being I'm stuck with the stock 32 chords as they are voiced.

Tago Mago
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tago Mago » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:03 am

I use the 3 CV outputs from Oberkorn for the pitch.
And the 2 gate outputs from Oberkorn, and gates from Knit Rider or Knight's Gallop
I use one or two sequential switches for the pitches and one or two sequential switches for the gates.
Or manual switches (like Joranologue switch 4 or Doepfer A-182-1)
For more diversity, I can add other CV's : a mix of pitch A and B from Oberkorn, pitch A going to a S/H, Turing machine, etc.
But, as I have only 2 quantizers, at the end I can't have 4 different voices.

PatchMonger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PatchMonger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:42 am

Hi,

I have had a Rene and an sq-1 in the past and I have been frustrated getting evolving changes, this has led me to doing more work in the "random" side. I am currently very happy with O&C, it has changed the way I look at the modular quite a lot. The quatermain app is really powerful and I use it together with an 4ms RCD a nanorand and a Turing machine getting pretty unexpected sounds. I tune everything in the same scale and then let the modular go. I have ordered a MI Marbles and I cannot wait to get it, I think it will take this concept further. If interested, you can see here an example of what I am doing with 4-5 voices (I using the Behringer Model D as another voice)
[video][/video]
If I want to dial in an specific melody I use Albletot and a midi to cv converter. It has been a great read to see other people's views

Cheers

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:58 am

as of today...

Marbles :miley:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:11 am

Update: René, Arpitecht and Ornament&Crime mainly. I like Arpitecht best of the three thus far but O&C is gaining fast.
My first modular track where I used drum modules! There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

PatchMonger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PatchMonger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:22 pm

MossGarden wrote:as of today...

Very jealous!! I cannot wait to get mine!! How do you find it so far? I think it is going to be soooo good for sequencing :guinness: :guinness: :party: :party:

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:42 pm

PatchMonger wrote:
MossGarden wrote:as of today...

Very jealous!! I cannot wait to get mine!! How do you find it so far? I think it is going to be soooo good for sequencing :guinness: :guinness: :party: :party:
inspiration.com

only had a few hours this evening with it, but Marbles + Pam's is just ruling my world right now!

kbithecrowing
Common Wiggler

Post by kbithecrowing » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:56 pm

I've been using a lots of separate building blocks to sequence multiple "voices" at a time: Tempi + SQ-1 + Gate Delay + Rene + external quantizer. I like having a collection of pieces to influence multiple voices rather than using an individual sequencer per voice.

For example, to control voice one I'll use Rene to quantize with the X axis driven by Tempi and the Y axis driven by the gates from the SQ-1's A channel. Then for voice 2 I'll use a mix of the CV out from the SQ-1's A channel and B channel into the external quantizer, with different step lengths on the two channels to get a longer CV variation. Gate sequencing is a combination of the sequencers' outputs and clocks from Tempi.

The SQ-1 also has it's CV output set up so the voltage won't change unless the gate is active for that step. So when changing the rhythms for either voice, I'll also be changing the voltage pattern input to the external quantizer. Tempi is the master clock, but I also like using that plus the gate delay as modulation sources, typically controlling timbre of my oscillators or filters. I use a mixture of clocks and gates driving LPG strikes and simple envelopes to control amplitude.

Sometimes I'll modulate the decay of envelopes with an existing clock, or I'll try to control the amplitude of separate waveforms of a single oscillator from different rhythmic sources to give the "illusion of more voices." This interconnected approach isn't great for replication, but it's wonderful for exploration.

Koryo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Koryo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:18 pm

borris_yeltzun wrote:Synthstrom Deluge + 2 x Polyend Poly midi Module for 16 channels of cv/gate
Liked your suggestion so much, I'm trying it out. BTW, I had never heard of the Deluge until reading your post and I'm convinced.

I'm raising your twin Poly, Deluge with a Linnstrument.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:55 pm

I'm overly proud of my polyphonic sequencers . . .

Return to “Eurorack Modules”