expression pedals & footswitches with eurorack modules

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

expression pedals & footswitches with eurorack modules

Post by hyena » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:51 pm

hello wigglers,
any experience with pedals for controlling your modules?
i'd like a nice expression pedal for various duties and, more important, one toggle\switch pedal for various on\off duties like:
-toggling er-301 loopers rec\overdub\play behaviour
-toggling clouds'freeze button on\off
-toggling tyme sefari rec\play\reverse on\off

any experience you'd like to share?
thanks in advance for yer knowledge! :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

captjrab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captjrab » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:56 pm

I got the ADDAC floor controller to toggle record on the Phonogene and hold on the DLD while playing guitar. Works great. Havent explored the expression pedal enough yet but am thinking of using it with the KOMA Field Kit to contol solenoid and motor speeds.

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Same here. ADDAC301 floor control. Makes it easy to bypass my modular without unplugging it from my violin.

At one point I was looking at Bastl Clutch for expression and DupDup for foot switches. Then I considered getting an Expert Sleepers FH-1 and connecting it to a MIDI foot controller. However, I figured I'd try to get by with one foot switch and one expression pedal. So far, so good.

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hyena » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:01 pm

thanks guys!

Gripp
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gripp » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:39 am

For expression, I made a simple passive module from a Doepfer blank plate. Just drilled and put four TRS jacks with two regular 3,5 mm jacks for each TRS, wired for send and return. Works well but needs a voltage source of course if not using as attenuator.

For gates, I realised that my MIDI footcontroller already has a lot off footswitches and is insanely programmable (a Gordius Little Giant). Would take a lot of cabling to make a passive version, and I’d like to have options for the footswitches to be momentary or latching as to not having to use modules for that.
So a Ladik M-211 MIDI to gate 12ch. converter in combination with my Gordius is my solution. This combination makes it so that I can program footswitches to be true gates (high as long as footswitch is pressed), toggling, or even spit out a very short trigger.

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hyena » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:02 am

Thanks Gripp!gonna check your solution as well!
i've alse been told good things about monome walk, but it's nowhere to be found in EU and sold out at monome.

ldd23
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ldd23 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:26 pm

I'm pretty happy with my Pittsburgh Patchbox and Moog EP-3s. The Patchbox has two footswitches that do modular routing and converts the expression pedals into 0-5v signals. It would be cool to have a footswitch that generated triggers or was momentary, but I can probably patch that.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: expression pedals & footswitches with eurorack modules

Post by DSC » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:44 pm

Finally got around to adding some switches and an expression pedal to my large rack and I am using them more than I thought.

muhimnested
Learning to Wiggle

Post by muhimnested » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:45 am

Another option - I just started using Presto Chango from 'Trick's Magic Shop' an adapter box that can interface 4 expression pedals and allow control of cv signal. There isn't a lot of info about the box online, but they are available at Perfect Circuit. Controlling Mimeophon with a pedal is a trip. :sb:

snakejaw
Common Wiggler

Post by snakejaw » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:45 am

Yes. The Presto Chango is pretty great so far. I talked about my initial experiences on the post below, if anyone's interested.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 9&t=205792

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:40 am

snakejaw wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:45 am
Yes. The Presto Chango is pretty great so far. I talked about my initial experiences on the post below, if anyone's interested.

That looks great, especially since I rarely have room for a foot control module. Does it handle switches or is it expression only?

I have the Doepfer 177-2 which is cheap, easy to find, and has two switches and expression input.

snakejaw
Common Wiggler

Post by snakejaw » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:43 am

xcc wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:40 am
snakejaw wrote:

That looks great, especially since I rarely have room for a foot control module. Does it handle switches or is it expression only?

I have the Doepfer 177-2 which is cheap, easy to find, and has two switches and expression input.
I don't know. It has 1/8" cv source input, 1/4" TRS pedal input and the (affected) 1/8" cv output. Would that be sufficient?

corbetta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by corbetta » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:48 am

A passive volume pedal can be fed an offset and attenuate it using 1/8” to 1/4” cables. It may not cover the entire range but it works in a pinch.

I really like the Koma Kommander for gate and CV duties with the understanding that you can’t “park it” like a pedal (it reverts to “0” when you take your foot/hand off the sensor)

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by muleskinner » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:49 am

Gripp wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:39 am
For expression, I made a simple passive module from a Doepfer blank plate. Just drilled and put four TRS jacks with two regular 3,5 mm jacks for each TRS, wired for send and return. Works well but needs a voltage source of course if not using as attenuator.
I did a similar thing. Works fine. Been using an offset from Maths or Samara as the voltage source.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:55 pm

snakejaw wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:43 am
xcc wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:40 am
snakejaw wrote:

I don't know. It has 1/8" cv source input, 1/4" TRS pedal input and the (affected) 1/8" cv output. Would that be sufficient?
I don’t know. I would think what goes in goes back out. But I know I’ve accidentally patched a switch into the expression input of my 177 which has both and it didn’t do anything.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:22 pm

bastl instruments clutch
5hp, it supports 4 expression pedals.

crisponline
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crisponline » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:23 am

Had a Monome Walk for awhile when I was using it to live loop the morphagene. Ended up selling it because I went more into doing sampling stuff in Max (a lot cheaper, lol). Still, I miss that thing. Footswitches plus logic can really do a lot. Big recommend if you can find one.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”