Over the past year or so I've been developing some Buchla-format adaptations of certain Mutable modules. One of these (Stereo Microsound Processor) is a maximal take on Clouds with additional controls and features that make the core functionality somewhat easier to use. As work on the SMP progressed, Clouds itself was actually discontinued, and bringing this "expanded Clouds" concept back into Eurorack format seemed like an interesting proposition. So after some discussion with Olivier, prototyping of this expanded Eurorack version of Clouds is underway.
Most open source adaptations of Mutable modules are focused on extreme spatial efficiency, often at the expense of usability, so I thought it would be interesting to go in the opposite direction. At 34hp, it's almost twice the size of Clouds. But if you want to go deeper with the concept, it might be worth it. Here's what Supercell adds to the original:
- Each of the Blend parameters have been separated into individual controls with their own CV inputs and inverting attenuators.
- A stereo output gain control has been added, providing an additional +6 dB of gain to compensate for low output levels when using certain parameter combinations.
- The inputs and outputs now include stereo VCAs and separate VU meters. The knobs act as offset controls when their respective VCA inputs are patched.
- The complex process of changing the quality settings and managing presets has been simplified with dedicated switches and status LEDs.
- A manual Trig switch (for capturing individual grains) has been added.
- An internal noise source is normalized to all unpatched modulation parameters.
- An AUX CV input routes a single external modulation source to all unpatched modulation parameters.
If you're interested, please comment with your panel preference or add the module to your ModularGrid rack (aluminum or black matte panel). If you're really interested and want to put down a small deposit to get on the waiting list, visit http://grayscale.info/supercell/ to preorder (fully refundable if you change your mind).