Mutable Instruments Stages

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:02 pm

Are you sure it will work while power is on? Maybe Stages would have to be rebooted to realize the wiring.

moncks_crossing
Common Wiggler

Post by moncks_crossing » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:09 pm

It would be ok if it needs to be switched while power is off - in fact this would be necessary for it, as it detects the connection on power up and boots in the correct mode. The switches would make it easier without having to remove the module.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:16 pm

possible problem maybe:

It depends how stages boots. I guess on power up it checks some kind of ID on the connection to find out how many stages there are. If a connection is established but no ID is coming there might be a problem. Just a guess.

kineticturtle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kineticturtle » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:51 pm

Isn't the connector like a 4 pin connector? Just get a 4p2t switch and wire it inline. I would bet (and I'm just making an educated guess here) that even if you flipped the switch while the unit is on, the leftmost mode could be changed to oscillator mode without any problems. Worst case scenario one crashes, I can't imagine this would do any permanent damage.

Anyway thanks for this thread popping back up, I didn't even know about the easter egg mode, I'm enjoying the heck out of it. :)
FS/T: Mutable Peaks & Crudlabs Crudman PRICE DROPS
Yep, that's it, that's the whole system.
Here are some songs I wrote while writing one song every day last January.
Some bands I've been in, High Five Spirit & The Mineral Kingdom.
Maths is hard, let's go shopping.

CaptainRockout
Common Wiggler

Post by CaptainRockout » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:49 pm

EDIT: Did not read far enough back. I should have known someone would have already tried a firmware solution :lol:
Last edited by CaptainRockout on Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

moncks_crossing
Common Wiggler

Post by moncks_crossing » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:12 pm

I would be fine if you needed to throw the switches and then power the module for it to boot into orginal or easter egg. It would mean that therewas no need to remove the module from the rack to change the cable.

Videographics
Common Wiggler

Post by Videographics » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:17 am

Did the last few posters miss the posts about the alternate firmware that switches with a long button press?

(BTW, it’s a 3-pin cable that links the modules and enables the Easter egg on startup with the original firmware.)

moncks_crossing
Common Wiggler

Post by moncks_crossing » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:30 am

Videographics wrote:Did the last few posters miss the posts about the alternate firmware that switches with a long button press?
But how does this work with 2 modules chained - can you still put one in harmonic mode with the long button press?
Videographics wrote:(BTW, it’s a 3-pin cable that links the modules and enables the Easter egg on startup with the original firmware.)
But this can’t be done with 2 modules chained.

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:29 am

moncks_crossing wrote:
Videographics wrote:Did the last few posters miss the posts about the alternate firmware that switches with a long button press?
But how does this work with 2 modules chained - can you still put one in harmonic mode with the long button press?
I'm the author of that firmware edit. Unfortunately I don't know, and I only have a single Stages, so I can't make tests. My hypothesis however is that it will behave strange or erroneously. Probably the one you put in ouroboros at runtime will function correctly, but the other one will still think to be chained, and act accordingly. I really can't tell :(

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:53 am

joeSeggiola wrote:
moncks_crossing wrote:
I'm the author of that firmware edit. Unfortunately I don't know, and I only have a single Stages, so I can't make tests. My hypothesis however is that it will behave strange or erroneously. Probably the one you put in ouroboros at runtime will function correctly, but the other one will still think to be chained, and act accordingly. I really can't tell :(
It wont function correctly :-)

I’ve done some similar changes that also passes the ouroboros state left and right to chained modules to switch them as well. I’ve only tried it on two modules but my concerns are the overhead (memory) on the right and left comms - especially with more than two modules.... I’d love to test it with six but....

CaptainRockout
Common Wiggler

Post by CaptainRockout » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:32 am

I absolutely did miss them. Saw everyone talking about a switch expander and my first thought was "why not edit the firmware?" A shame it won't work for two Stages that are chained together as that is my situation too. Emilie recently posted this great diagram on the Mutable forum for a configuration using a DPDT switch: https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... g/14853/13

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:19 am

[MOD EDIT]

For clarity, and in order to keep things clean, this thread has been split. For Alternative firmware discussion please check

Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:17 am

Resubscribing :tu:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:35 am

cptnal wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:17 am
You know you can do that via the topic options, right? You don't have to post on the topic for that to happen.
But yes, apologies, I'm not aware whether subscribers get unsubscribed when a topic gets split. I don't see why that would be the case, it doesn't make much sense, but still.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:02 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:35 am
cptnal wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:17 am
You know you can do that via the topic options, right? You don't have to post on the topic for that to happen.
But yes, apologies, I'm not aware whether subscribers get unsubscribed when a topic gets split. I don't see why that would be the case, it doesn't make much sense, but still.
I do know that, but I wanted to show appreciation at the same time.

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:06 am

thanks for the topic split. still need to find an afternoon to cook with the new variations.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”