Mutable Instruments Marbles Random Sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Rooter Tooter
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Mutable Instruments Marbles Random Sampler

Post by Rooter Tooter » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:50 am

I’m thinking about bringing Marbles into my synth family but I was curious how people were putting custom scales into it?
I have a Keystep and a Rene Mk2...is it pretty much a no-brainer or is there a degree of fiddlin’ to the whole process?
Much thanks!

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:50 am

Quite simple. Hold a button for two seconds, then send note CV to one input and gates to another. Push the button when you are done. That’s it! :party:
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:

Rooter Tooter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rooter Tooter » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:03 pm

That’s great! Thank you! :sb: :sb: :sb:

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:07 pm

What's the slowest rate Marbles can go if measuring t2 in divide 4 mode? Measured in seconds between triggers?

(This is if my understanding is correct and t2 is generally a regularly-spaced trigger out except in jitter and external clock situations...)

psy_dive
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psy_dive » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:12 am

hi everybody

im relatively new to eurorack, so i freshly got marbles and ate up the manual and also divkids video and think i do understand the module fairly well, but there is one thing which i cant seem to figure out :/

If there is a sequence running and locked in dejavu, wouldnt it be awsome to able to just "slightly" randomize either the t- "OR" the x-section? so you get slight variations in rhythm but not in pitch.. or the otherway arround? is there no such function?

as of now im only able to do subtle randomisation to both sections simultaneously, or lock one section while the other goes complete bonkers.. its still fun but harder to generate progressive musical variations if both are changing at the same time. i know i can use the bias and spread and jitter but this is not exactly what im looking for. hope you get the idea.. maybe im just missing the obvious or is there another firmware that can do that?

please help =) thaaaanks a ton

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 am

psy_dive wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:12 am
hi everybody

im relatively new to eurorack, so i freshly got marbles and ate up the manual and also divkids video and think i do understand the module fairly well, but there is one thing which i cant seem to figure out :/

If there is a sequence running and locked in dejavu, wouldnt it be awsome to able to just "slightly" randomize either the t- "OR" the x-section? so you get slight variations in rhythm but not in pitch.. or the otherway arround? is there no such function?

as of now im only able to do subtle randomisation to both sections simultaneously, or lock one section while the other goes complete bonkers.. its still fun but harder to generate progressive musical variations if both are changing at the same time. i know i can use the bias and spread and jitter but this is not exactly what im looking for. hope you get the idea.. maybe im just missing the obvious or is there another firmware that can do that?

please help =) thaaaanks a ton
That is not possible.When both the t- and x-section are locked, you have only one knob to control the amount of randomisation, and that is for both sections.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:50 am

You can tap one of the white buttons, let a change slip through, then tap it again to lock it back in.

Or clock externally and use another trigger source instead of the t section. I kind of like doing that anyway sometimes since it lets me loop that rhythm at a different length than I loop Marbles :)

psy_dive
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psy_dive » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:37 pm

starthief wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:50 am
You can tap one of the white buttons, let a change slip through, then tap it again to lock it back in.

Or clock externally and use another trigger source instead of the t section. I kind of like doing that anyway sometimes since it lets me loop that rhythm at a different length than I loop Marbles :)
Yeah, thats what i also tried. the button pressing will keep you busy though. thanks both for your replies!

Ive asked the same question on MI forum and got follwing replie from émilie:

"Hmmm that could actually be implemented without too much effort and compromises in a firmware update as a kind of “super lock”: long press on the DEJA VU X or t button makes this channel unresponsive to the DEJA VU knob.

Question: should this “super lock” feature also allow the LENGTH to be tweaked for the t or X section while the length remains “super-locked” for the other? Or should the “super lock” only act on DEJA VU (this would seem to be what you need!)"

This is a super nice answer and sparkled my interest even more but unfortunately i got absolutley no experience coding

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:55 pm

They've got a lot of coders on that site. I bet if you keep going someone will do it. I like the idea so hopefully it happens. I do love my Marbles.
THUMPR BC SC

FS: Optomix here

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:13 am

This module is crazy unfriendly to colourblind people, even with the colourblind mode on. I'm never sure where I am with it, hopefully more experience with it will help me get along with it.

psy_dive
Learning to Wiggle

Marbles “super lock” feature

Post by psy_dive » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:11 pm

There is a new firmware for Marbles - “super lock feature"

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... re/16571/3

Super exciting! =)

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Re: Marbles “super lock” feature

Post by mother misty » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:50 pm

psy_dive wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:11 pm

Super exciting! =)
Sweet!
Pretty amazing this was a question/suggestion and 5 days later we have a new firmware with the function implemented! :hail: Émilie

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:58 am

psy_dive wrote:
Wow! Thanks for letting us know and thanks to Émilie for integrating this :tu:

Squarewave Fellowship
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Squarewave Fellowship » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:54 pm

mother misty wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:50 pm
psy_dive wrote:

Super exciting! =)
Sweet!
Pretty amazing this was a question/suggestion and 5 days later we have a new firmware with the function implemented! :hail: Émilie
Amazing!
Every time I used it, I was thinking "why can't I choose where the random goes?!?!"... then this. ideal.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:40 pm

Émilie is cool like that. 8-)

I gave up on Marbles recently. Just couldn’t gel with it. I make very simple music but I need control and random based music just doesn’t seem to be my thing. :despair: It’s also a bit of a hassle to have to record the scale for each patch before I could use Marbles.
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:21 pm

lisa wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:40 pm
Émilie is cool like that. 8-)

I gave up on Marbles recently. Just couldn’t gel with it. I make very simple music but I need control and random based music just doesn’t seem to be my thing. :despair: It’s also a bit of a hassle to have to record the scale for each patch before I could use Marbles.
I just use a quantizer after Marbles, I’ve never taught myself how to record a scale on Marbles, maybe some day.
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review - podcast in ((poetic_stere0)) Spotify YouTube

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:27 pm

I can't remember the last time I programmed a scale into it... I pretty much pick one of the scale selections at random, use Deja Vu to grab something I like and the knobs to tweak it, and run with it. Or else I set up a sequence as a starting point, and use the capture input.

Short loops, but with sequenced variations via Bias/Spread, work pretty well for me. A couple times I've wound up going down to length 2 with a slow clock :mrgreen:

I've also done re-quantizing in Teletype a couple times.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:44 pm

lisa wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:40 pm
It’s also a bit of a hassle to have to record the scale for each patch before I could use Marbles.
I've never used that function. My sequencer is multed so that it also goes into one of my Marbles. Super easy setup... If marbles is in that mode it stays in it too, so there's no need to mess holding down buttons or something, just need to do it 1 time.

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:25 am

I've installed the new firmware with the superlock feature, but now my Marbles doesn't seem to remember it last settings when powered off.
When I power on, the super lock feature on 't' is always on, even when it wasn't when I powered it off.

Anyone else has this behaviour?

EDIT: nevermind, already solved :)

Settings (including the state of the t/X pushbuttons) are saved whenever you change one of the ranges or modes (small buttons).

Settings are NOT saved whenever you press the t/X pushbuttons since saving them to flash memory can freeze the module for a few hundred ms (and you don’t want this to happen while you just want to lock/unlock a loop).

yalivec
Common Wiggler

Post by yalivec » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:58 am

One more simple ambient composition I've just made with my small system to help all of us relax a bit during these hard times.
Main melody is by Marbles plus Rings. All delay magic is by Happy Nerding FM Aid plus Clouds.
Take care of each other, be safe and stay home whenever possible.
:zen:

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:40 am

yalivec wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:58 am
One more simple ambient composition I've just made with my small system
Nice recording :)

aragorn23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aragorn23 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:17 am

Hey all, apologies if this has been answered already but I have a question about sampling external CV.

I've got a little eight step sequence going into Spread with the external processing button set to on, and Marbles is working well at generating variations of this sampled input on x2, but x1 and x3 have a really wide octave spread (like, a full 4 octaves) regardless of Spread, Bias and other settings. The input sequence doesn't even span a full octave, so the issue isn't there. Any idea what's going on?

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:35 am

Do you have the x side set to the green mode range?

green = Unipolar 0-2v
orange = unipolar 0-5v
red = bipolar -5 to +5v

aragorn23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aragorn23 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:18 am

erstlaub wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:35 am
Do you have the x side set to the green mode range?

green = Unipolar 0-2v
orange = unipolar 0-5v
red = bipolar -5 to +5v
When I toggle to processing external CV, the range LED goes off. I'm not sure if that's normal behaviour. I have tried setting it to green before toggling the external cv and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:58 am

aragorn23 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:17 am
Hey all, apologies if this has been answered already but I have a question about sampling external CV.

I've got a little eight step sequence going into Spread with the external processing button set to on, and Marbles is working well at generating variations of this sampled input on x2, but x1 and x3 have a really wide octave spread (like, a full 4 octaves) regardless of Spread, Bias and other settings. The input sequence doesn't even span a full octave, so the issue isn't there. Any idea what's going on?
Sounds strange. I am away from my modular at the moment, but I am quite sure transposition of the incoming CV is controlled only by Bias and Spread.
As I recall, Transposition is zero when Bias is set to 12 o'clock and Spread is set to zero. In this position you should only hear the same notes as the sequence (quantised with Steps)

Do you have the clock from the sequence going into the X clock in (to make sure you only sample when the sequence change)?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”