Mutable Instruments Marbles Random Sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ari ellis
Common Wiggler

Re: Mutable Instruments Marbles Random Sampler

Post by ari ellis » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:38 am

kesserich wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:57 am
hawkfuzz wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:48 pm
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/marbles/

"Input CV range: -5V to +5V"
Thank you! I don't know how i missed that but i did.
Would you happen to also know if the CV is added to the knob position or if the knob acts as an attenuator?
I'd have to test to be 100% sure, but I'm reasonably sure that CV adds to the knob position.

Granny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Granny » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:59 am

Anybody knows why Richard Devine never had one in his live rack? Seems to be right up his alley. As some of you said before, this module is a combination of things that people might already have in their rack, if they are into randomness. Still interesting to know why Richard, while being a great user and supporter of MI and seemingly being in constant contact with Émilie, never really used one except showing one short video of it when it came out.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:03 am

Somebody told me that Marbles has the capacity to do what Branches does (bernoulli distribution) — maybe a firmware thing? Can anybody confirm this? The online manual doesn't say anything (that I can find) about it. (Thanks.)

Mr_Sulcus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mr_Sulcus » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:09 am

Screenshot_20200826-120821.png

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:57 am

Del wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:03 am
Somebody told me that Marbles has the capacity to do what Branches does (bernoulli distribution) — maybe a firmware thing? Can anybody confirm this? The online manual doesn't say anything (that I can find) about it. (Thanks.)
It is in the manual as Mr_Sulcus shows.
I just want to point out a small difference: Branches process each trigger individually, whereas Marbles only works properly with a steady clock.
The Ladik S-090 Skipper can also work as Branches, if you set a jumper, and there may be other modules too....

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:36 pm

jbrandtp wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:57 am
Del wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:03 am
It is in the manual as Mr_Sulcus shows.
I just want to point out a small difference: Branches process each trigger individually, whereas Marbles only works properly with a steady clock.
The Ladik S-090 Skipper can also work as Branches, if you set a jumper, and there may be other modules too....
I've done a short amount of testing on VCV rack. It seems to me that in "green" mode (i have no idea what it's called), if rate is all the way to zero, it functions pretty much like branches if you patch your trigger into Clock and use t1 and t3 as outputs. At faster rates, one trigger gets you a short rhythmic string.

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:36 pm
I've done a short amount of testing on VCV rack. It seems to me that in "green" mode (i have no idea what it's called), if rate is all the way to zero, it functions pretty much like branches if you patch your trigger into Clock and use t1 and t3 as outputs. At faster rates, one trigger gets you a short rhythmic string.
Interesting!
Thanks for the info!

ari ellis
Common Wiggler

Post by ari ellis » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:01 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:36 pm
I've done a short amount of testing on VCV rack. It seems to me that in "green" mode (i have no idea what it's called), if rate is all the way to zero, it functions pretty much like branches if you patch your trigger into Clock and use t1 and t3 as outputs.
Can't wait to test this on my hardware, it's a very cool idea

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:42 am

What I would really like — maybe there’s a module out there already — is a switch like Branches but with one gate input and, say, five outputs, with random selection between them. Maybe it would recognize how many outs were plugged in, or there would be a dial or something. Seems like something that wouldn’t be that hard to make. I guess it’s just two Branches modules, but 12 hp seems a little much when a certain other brand could probably squeeze it into 2.

aphantomvaper
Common Wiggler

Post by aphantomvaper » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:55 am

Del wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:42 am
What I would really like — maybe there’s a module out there already — is a switch like Branches but with one gate input and, say, five outputs, with random selection between them. Maybe it would recognize how many outs were plugged in, or there would be a dial or something. Seems like something that wouldn’t be that hard to make. I guess it’s just two Branches modules, but 12 hp seems a little much when a certain other brand could probably squeeze it into 2.
I could be off the mark on this. An Algorhythm in random mode could do random gate with up to 8 outs. There prob others, this is what I have in my rack (and a Marbles and Branches too) :sstorm:
The only thing that stays the same is change

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:30 pm

aphantomvaper wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:55 am
Del wrote:
I could be off the mark on this. An Algorhythm in random mode could do random gate with up to 8 outs. There prob others, this is what I have in my rack (and a Marbles and Branches too) :sstorm:

I have sources of random gates, but there are uses for Bernoulli gates in a more organized patch. I’m not sure I can explain easily, but say you want to route a trigger one of two (or more) ways with the end-of-fall of an envelope but you don’t want two sound sources to be active at once (not totally random triggers). This is what I mean by “organized.” That’s hazy - sorry.

Michaalhell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Michaalhell » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:45 am

Del wrote:
NE’s Integra Funkitus does This. It can also take 4 inputs and randomly trigger one output. It’s great for randomly sending out trigs.

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:29 am

Michaalhell wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:45 am
Del wrote:
NE’s Integra Funkitus does This. It can also take 4 inputs and randomly trigger one output. It’s great for randomly sending out trigs.
Integra Funkitis does not do this unless I’m completely missing something. It does not take a single gate in and randomly choose which of the four outputs to fire. It will set probability of that respective output firing (input 1 —> output 1 only) on the rising or falling edge of the gate input, and in OR mode it will start adding gates from the other inputs.
FS: Euro blowout now 48% off
viewtopic.php?p=3062675#p3062675

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:01 pm

Del wrote:
Antumbra PATH will do this. The input of each switch is normalled to an offset and you can set the step mode to step randomly. You would be able to route a gate to up to 8 different destination randomly. It's not the same gate - it will stay high as long as it's switched to a given destination - but maybe you could patch your gate to the switch input as well as the step input. :hmm: It's 6hp, too. An unjustly obscure module, IMO.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:45 pm

That module looks like it might be a little hard to find, but you've got me thinking about switches — maybe a more versatile option. ALM's Boss Bow Two might do the same trick. Just wish these things came in 4hp rather than 8.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:16 pm

What would Numberwang or Brain Custard do with Marbles outputs? Thinking of getting a Marbles, and thinking of getting one of the two aforementioned modules.

I guess the question isn't "what would they do," but would they do anything interesting with the gates or the CVs, if, for example, I split the signal and used two versions as-is, and mixed the other two versions into one of those modules?

Michaalhell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Michaalhell » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:12 am

davidjames wrote:
    Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:29 am
    Michaalhell wrote:
    Del wrote:
    Integra Funkitis does not do this unless I’m completely missing something. It does not take a single gate in and randomly choose which of the four outputs to fire. It will set probability of that respective output firing (input 1 —> output 1 only) on the rising or falling edge of the gate input, and in OR mode it will start adding gates from the other inputs.

Well i guess mine is not working correctly then because I use it a lot for multing one input into 4 outputs with probability on each output.

davidjames
    Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:54 am

Michaalhell wrote:
    Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:12 am
      davidjames wrote:
      Michaalhell wrote:
      Del wrote:

Well i guess mine is not working correctly then because I use it a lot for multing one input into 4 outputs with probability on each output.
      You’re correct, the inputs are normalled so one input will activate four outputs but with independent probabilities. But the OP wants something Bernoulli style (one active output at a time), which this won’t do. It may fire two, three, or all four outputs at the same time. Anyway we’ve veered far from the Marbles discussion, sorry everybody!
      FS: Euro blowout now 48% off
      viewtopic.php?p=3062675#p3062675

Michaalhell
      Learning to Wiggle

Post by Michaalhell » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:48 pm

davidjames wrote:
      Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:54 am
      Michaalhell wrote:
      Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:12 am
        davidjames wrote:
        Michaalhell wrote:
        Del wrote:

You’re correct, the inputs are normalled so one input will activate four outputs but with independent probabilities. But the OP wants something Bernoulli style (one active output at a time), which this won’t do. It may fire two, three, or all four outputs at the same time. Anyway we’ve veered far from the Marbles discussion, sorry everybody!
        Aah si si, you are correct in that.

Sorry, carry on 😊

Atrociter
        Learning to Wiggle

Post by Atrociter » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:58 pm

Peng33 wrote:
        Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:16 pm
        What would Numberwang or Brain Custard do with Marbles outputs? Thinking of getting a Marbles, and thinking of getting one of the two aforementioned modules.
        I just got a Brain Custard and first thing i did was throw Marbles at it.. add some reverb and delay and it was a bit of cosmic warfare. :twisted:

Boro
        1-Post Wiggler

Post by Boro » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:29 am

Does anyone know how the deja vu works to the left of half with external cv? It does not say in the manual.

Some experimentation to me indicates that it essentially adds steps from the pattern captured in the buffer that are longer than the length setting on the deja vu.

Does anyone know if it adds these sequentially, (ie say you have a 4 step sequence but a length of 1 in the deja vu, it is 1 step at 12, 2 steps a little below half, 3 steps a little below that, etc) or does it add the sequence within the buffer regardless of the length setting and then randomize where the cv occurs?

jbrandtp
        Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:07 am

Boro wrote:
        Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:29 am
        Does anyone know how the deja vu works to the left of half with external cv? It does not say in the manual.

Some experimentation to me indicates that it essentially adds steps from the pattern captured in the buffer that are longer than the length setting on the deja vu.

Does anyone know if it adds these sequentially, (ie say you have a 4 step sequence but a length of 1 in the deja vu, it is 1 step at 12, 2 steps a little below half, 3 steps a little below that, etc) or does it add the sequence within the buffer regardless of the length setting and then randomize where the cv occurs?
        The cv-input to Deja vu controls the length, so it does the same than turning the length-knob.
        Also note, that it works as an attenuator, so in order to have the whole range under cv-control, you need to turn the knob all the way up.

So how does Marbles react, when you change the deja vu length?

As far as I can tell, Marbles switch to the first step of the new length at the next clock beat.

Now remember Marbles look back in time so the recorded buffer look like this:

16 - 15 - 14 - 13 - 12 - 11 - 10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1

If your deja vu length is 4 then it will play

4 - 3 - 2 - 1

If you are on step 3 when you change length to 8 then instead of 2, it wil look like this:

4 - 3 and then
        8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1

I hope this answers you question.
        It is based on my own observations, but hopefully it is correct.

ari ellis
        Common Wiggler

Post by ari ellis » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:19 am

EDIT: misunderstood a previous post

Eiymet
        Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eiymet » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:43 am

Hi, I do have an issue with my new marbles. After some little use of the module, the X section is totaly locked as well as the Y and all the led are stuck green.

The T section work fine as expected.
        Heaven if i try to reboot my case or trying to externaly modulate the x section, nothings work...

Does somebody have experienced that and have a workaround ?

bemushroomed
        Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:55 am

Eiymet wrote:
        Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:43 am
        Hi, I do have an issue with my new marbles. After some little use of the module, the X section is totaly locked as well as the Y and all the led are stuck green.

The T section work fine as expected.
        Heaven if i try to reboot my case or trying to externaly modulate the x section, nothings work...

Does somebody have experienced that and have a workaround ?
        Never happened to me... make sure you are not using too much draw from the case, if you're almost hitting max you can get issues.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”