Mutable Instruments Marbles Random Sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mutable Instruments Marbles Random Sampler

Post by starthief » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:39 am

Lux A Turner wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:55 am
Although (of course) if you have Deja Vu turned even a little CCW, the notes in the loop will evolve, so you won't always get the same three notes each time. Marbles also subdivides some steps into halves, quarters and eighths - especially when T is in the orange mode - so even a three step loop can contain many more than three notes; although loop evolution in that mode means that you can gain / lose a whole chunk of notes with the evolution of a single step (I love the orange mode :love: )
Exactly, I usually have Deja Vu let it evolve a bit. I also sometimes drive the clock from a pattern rather than a straight clock, and/or use gate patterns to modulate Bias/Spread to generate variations so there's some self-similarity within the overall loop.

Throw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Throw » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:27 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:18 pm
Thanks for the answers everyone.
Looks like some smart cookie already made it, and it now goes to 128 steps.

Here's a direct link to the firmware.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uty5z028dyotq ... 2.wav?dl=0

Credit to Jthrw over on the Mutable forum for this. :hail:
Thanks @peachesandbacon. That was my firmware mod, which I'll have to post on a GitHub at some point.
I went for 128 max steps because at higher tempos with a wide pitch spread it's possible to induce the impression of multiple melodic patterns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodic_fission

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:43 am

Throw wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:27 am
peachesandbacon wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:18 pm
Thanks for the answers everyone.
Looks like some smart cookie already made it, and it now goes to 128 steps.

Here's a direct link to the firmware.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uty5z028dyotq ... 2.wav?dl=0

Credit to Jthrw over on the Mutable forum for this. :hail:
Thanks @peachesandbacon. That was my firmware mod, which I'll have to post on a GitHub at some point.
I went for 128 max steps because at higher tempos with a wide pitch spread it's possible to induce the impression of multiple melodic patterns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodic_fission
Wonderful job. I came on here whinging about how i wanted more steps in Marbles as it repeats too often when it's locked on 16 steps, and then posted on the MI forum, and realized you'd already done it.

Great work.

Another thing I'd love to see is some more scales available. I use Phrygian a lot, and that would make me very happy.
I know you can record your own in, but I feel it's one of those things I'd never do.

mattcolville
Common Wiggler

Post by mattcolville » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:34 am

What voltages do the inputs expect? 0-5v? And I assume the knobs then act as offsets?

I’ve looked through the manual and can’t find the answer which makes me think it must be 0-5v and this is some kind of standard I’m only now noticing.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:43 am

I'm a latecomer to Mutable Instruments, with all the zeal of the recent convert.

Currently looking to replace MTM Turing Machine and a newly acquired Benjolin with Marbles, and maybe even RndStep too. Benjolin is a different animal, but in videos it seems Marbles can do total rhythmical random at that level, plus controlled random. Ideally I'd keep everything, but.. money.

Any euro-Benjolin users care to compare it with Marbles?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”