A-199 Spring Reverb Crackling noise

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ian:o
Learning to Wiggle

A-199 Spring Reverb Crackling noise

Post by ian:o » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:11 am

Hi guys. I have a new A-199 Spring Reverb module all happily installed and working...apart from a crackling noise across the OP. I've sited the spring tank behind the module, as far away from the PSU as I can and have a pair of standard HiFi phonos running between between that and the module. It's not constant and it's relatively narrow bandwidth, and 'crackling' is perhaps the only way I can describe it - perhaps a little akin to a dirty pot sound, but much higher in frequency and although it's constant, there's no pattern or repetition to it - it's completely random. i can't seem to nail it down. I've attached a clip of it as it comes out of the unit.

Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Summa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Summa » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Remove the tank from the case and report back

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:23 pm

I’ve always had my tank outside the case...was unaware it was even feasible to store it inside
*phnert*

Learning to Wiggle

Post by ian:o » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks guys - it didn't occur to me to put the tank outside - I'm more used to working with guitar cabs. I'll let you know how it goes.

Drilldoughzer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drilldoughzer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:25 pm

I built a Befaco spring and it came with his tank.
I have put it on the top of my case, not screwed to it and I can hit it, scratch the springs and abuse it... Marvellous!

Learning to Wiggle

Post by ian:o » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:52 am

Thanks very much chaps. Tank removed. I made a nice little isolation foam surround for it, but keeping the springs exposed for those moments when i really want to wake people up. Cracking has, as suspected, vanished.

Thanks you. :tu:

Summa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Summa » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:12 pm

ian:o wrote:Thanks very much chaps. Tank removed. I made a nice little isolation foam surround for it, but keeping the springs exposed for those moments when i really want to wake people up. Cracking has, as suspected, vanished.

Thanks you. :tu:

:tu: good, now go lock for that thread here about different tanks for the A-199, they really change the sound drastically. I use a modded tank from a Fender Twin and it sounds brilliant.

Learning to Wiggle

Post by ian:o » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:26 pm

:tu: good, now go lock for that thread here about different tanks for the A-199, they really change the sound drastically. I use a modded tank from a Fender Twin and it sounds brilliant.[/quote]

Holy S***t! I have one of those - or something very similar in a UK built all valve guitar amp..its huge...I'm gonna give it a whirl!!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”