THE SPACE CASE TE-2 - Eurorack / Standalone Echo + Tape Unit

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

MotoModular
Common Wiggler

Post by MotoModular » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:00 pm

Muffs,
it's Friday, but this time I'm posting because we need your help...

Does anyone know of a person fluent in basic micro-controller duty programming? C-code? We just had a schedule coordination hitch and are immediately on the look out to find a person to fill in. Figuring this is a good community to find such a replacement, since it is preferable that the coder has musical instrument application sense. The level of work is basic for someone who has decent experience, and it won't take long, but this needs to happen very soon. Fair compensation of course.
Sooner this happens, the sooner we see/hear/get TE-2's.
Feel free to message directly for more details. You'll hear back from me quickly since this is suddenly the highest priority.

Other than this hangup, I look forward to running through all of the final details that made their way in during recent months. Will be sure to include some stuff in the Buyers update this coming Monday along with projections of timing.

This is becoming very real very fast. And thanks again for all of the understanding.
j

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:30 pm

This is comical
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

naturarerum
Common Wiggler

Post by naturarerum » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:27 am

MotoModular wrote:This is becoming very real very fast.
Hmm, not from where I’m standing. In fact I’d say the very opposite, it’s slowly becoming more abstract... :hmm:

Anyway, I’ll stay in on this project, but I’d be lying if I said I’m not growing annoyed and impatient.

Fayette
Common Wiggler

Post by Fayette » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:45 am

Thanks for the update Jim :tu:

I look forward to the buyers update.

Cheers

Thorsday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thorsday » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:43 am

Two years... Two years, Jim! You've had my money for that long. I've never waited for something paid in full for so long in my entire life. Consider that a compliment. I have a feeling it will be well worth the wait and then some, but I must admit, I am frustrated at this point. I hope everything plays out favorably.

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:54 am

so maybe I couldnt find it but with there being pics of a fully made unit
how come there hasn't be any demo other then some Soundcloud stuff.
that could easily be something else.... or a TE1???

are them pics just LED's pots and switches placed behind a panel for looks?

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:10 am

Severed head wrote:so maybe I couldnt find it but with there being pics of a fully made unit
how come there hasn't be any demo other then some Soundcloud stuff.
that could easily be something else.... or a TE1???

are them pics just LED's pots and switches placed behind a panel for looks?
This is comical

Bionecteur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bionecteur » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:45 pm

I ordered the TE 1 in April 2017; paid 925$
paid for an additional cv control another 250$ in beginning of 2018
was transferred to TE 2 a few weeks later; promised delivery within 2018
now nearly 2 years later....i still try to be positive ...positive...positive ...posi....pos ...po....p ... :deadbanana:

MotoModular
Common Wiggler

Post by MotoModular » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:20 pm

Thank you folks for the direct messages about coding here, including from early supporters. I'm glad I posted this publicly since immediately there are now solutions/coders at hand and this will likely will work out quickly.The point was to solve the need as fast as possible so as to avoid the setup of even more time being taken. I knew tapping this crowd would get both types of responses.
For what it's worth, this is about some final wrap up digital implementations, not functionality design/solving. Hiccups occur, then we get through them as fast as we can.
thank you kindly
there is a load of excitement and relief here, in contrast to the public patience tests.
jim
Last edited by MotoModular on Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bionecteur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bionecteur » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:52 pm

there is a load of excitement and relief here, in contrast to the public patience tests.
jim[/quote]

there is...there is ...

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Bionecteur wrote:I ordered the TE 1 in April 2017; paid 925$
paid for an additional cv control another 250$ in beginning of 2018
was transferred to TE 2 a few weeks later; promised delivery within 2018
now nearly 2 years later....i still try to be positive ...positive...positive ...posi....pos ...po....p ... :deadbanana:
I hope / expect that Jim has learned a lot from making the TE-2 about how (not) to run a business. I have no complaints about Jim’s dedication, work ethic, ambition to make something truly unique, etc. I have full faith that the TE-2 will live up to its promise.

And even with that, as someone who also bought in around this timeframe and is appreciative of the extras that will be included (eg footswitch), the complete mismanagement of expectations, the ever sliding delivery date for which we still don’t have a final date for, and the fact that my money has essentially paid for the development of Jim and his business is just incredibly frustrating. Even though Jim was honest that the development of the TE-2 would be unique and that he’s a small, completely independent operation, this also wasn’t billed as a kickstarter, and I think it’s highly unusual (bordering on unethical) how opaque the timeline has been when money was taken up front. It’s just not the way to run a respectable business.

This far in, I can’t wait to receive my TE-2, it’s going to be amazing, I have full faith. I would also never support this kind of venture again. My early payment feels more like a loan to Moto Modular at this point, as opposed to a basic exchange of money for goods/services.

citizensmurf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by citizensmurf » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:42 pm

This bandwagon complain-o-thon isn't cathartic or productive, it's juvenile. Everyone who signed up should have been adult enough to understand that timelines and deadlines change. Jim has been nothing but honest and upfront about every single step of the process. And anyone who switched from the TE-1 to a TE-2, this was your decision to do that. I did the same thing, and I accepted the reality of waiting.

The only takeaway Jim should heed is that you simply cannot please everyone. His business model doesn't need to change.

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:11 pm

citizensmurf wrote:This bandwagon complain-o-thon isn't cathartic or productive, it's juvenile. Everyone who signed up should have been adult enough to understand that timelines and deadlines change. Jim has been nothing but honest and upfront about every single step of the process. And anyone who switched from the TE-1 to a TE-2, this was your decision to do that. I did the same thing, and I accepted the reality of waiting.

The only takeaway Jim should heed is that you simply cannot please everyone. His business model doesn't need to change.
Respectfully disagree. While Jim was always clear that the timeline was not precise, he did also indicate initially that delivery could happen as early Fall of 2018. Being more than a year off of that prediction while still not having an actual delivery date (or even general delivery timeline) is just bad business, even if there were recognized caveats with discussion of the original timeline.

When I put my money down in Spring of 2018, I wasn't buying just a TE-2. I was buying a TE-2 that I expected I would have within 6-ish months. I don't think Jim is a shyster or has willingly lied to me. On the contrary, it gives me the feeling that Jim was not in control. That's a shitty feeling when I've invested over a grand.

Edit: I don’t mean to be dragging Jim, but fwiw citizensmurf, I can give you proof of how I was led to believe that TE-2 would be delivered within 6 months. About a year ago, when Jim publicly announced that delivery of TE-2 would be delayed, he did offer to refund anyone who was put off by that announcement. I appreciate that and still feel that it’s hard to say this process has been a positive one.
Last edited by jzwoopwoop on Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:26 pm

jzwoopwoop wrote:When I put my money down in Spring of 2018, I wasn't buying just a TE-2. I was buying a TE-2 that I expected I would have within 6-ish months.
Well that's a bit of a boohoo sound from me. I'm in for the same money and thrilled at the excitement Jim has shown, and his willingness to communicate on this forum. Dude, you're going to have one of these things! How awesome is that! Delays happen when things get realized, solved, and invented.

You have a valid point for something like a repressing of a vinyl album or even running a new batch of a pre-existing module. But heck, I have a bunch of fish hooks out in the water for about five devices right now. Three of them: Pulsar 23, Nanoloop, and Space Case, are all beyond the scope of their original timeline. I mean, I'm presently reading the Pulsar 23 manual and still digesting the Space Case poster that's provided on this thread. Just reading that material has given me ideas for my existing equipment that I wouldn't be trying if those things were here already.

Be a fisherman and enjoy the harvest when it arrives. Or be on the Internet and look like your comment.

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:49 pm

EPTC wrote:
jzwoopwoop wrote:When I put my money down in Spring of 2018, I wasn't buying just a TE-2. I was buying a TE-2 that I expected I would have within 6-ish months.
Well that's a bit of a boohoo sound from me. I'm in for the same money and thrilled at the excitement Jim has shown, and his willingness to communicate on this forum. Dude, you're going to have one of these things! How awesome is that! Delays happen when things get realized, solved, and invented.
Of course it’s a boohoo. This is a first world problem we’re talking about here, we all recognize that. I was obviously naive going into this, but I would hope that well-intentioned companies (especially those staffed by a small number of employees) would understand they’re catering to both knowledgeable and less knowledgeable clients. I was told (again, I have the emails) that the TE-2 would be delivered in 2018.

We were then told (not via a private email, mind you) that there is a delay, and really with no further concrete details on a timeline. Since then, it’s just been further delays. I know Jim is well intentioned, but that is shitty experience. It just is. I knew the timeline would not be exact, but receiving assurances early on that delivery would happen within 6ish months does not in any way prepare a customer for a subsequent 12+ months of waiting, with still no final date in sight. That sucks.

Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trebbers » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:02 pm

Yes, love the framework in which it's cool to take a shit on the people that have basically given a mfr a no interest loan for ~2 years with nothing to show for it.

90% of me wants to join the chorus of those saying that these delays were unforeseen and understandable. The other 10% of me says this project never happens without prefunding, and prefunding never happens if you give people an honest fulfillment date that's 2 years in the future.

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:31 pm

I just think it’s funny.
Maybe more people a post moke up, of grand ideas and collect a shit ton of cash from people and then realize it’s actually an insanely intense project that’s not gonna take just 6months like it would to circuit bend and add some controls to an existing piece of gear(ie te1)

Just because it’s eurorack and we’re dealing with small scale businesses/manufacturers doesn’t make it ok.
Ya know there are plenty of people out here that have really amazing idea like this one that don’t have the means to implement them financially or otherwise.
And from what I’ve seen through out the thread the guys implement this idea were either completely oblivious to what this project involved or were clearly aware and wanted to gather the needed funds with out openly stating this thing is just barely beyond the conception stage. Because I’d guess there would’ve be a fairly different number of backers for a 6months project and what’s bearing a 2 year with still not hammered down dead line project.
That’s for other backers to decide. And to decide when enough is enough
Send my shit or my money back.

Maybe I’m a prick for say that or maybe there’s others thinking that don’t want to say it idk, but I’m thinking it’s more of the same ol’ eternal sin for anything less than absolute admiration.

slumberjack
Ultra Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:14 am

Everyone is free to get their money back...as a selfemployed dude by myself Jim has my full support - today there will be a new (and I also hope so last) shipping estimate.

I knew from the start that this will be sorta loan when paid in advance so that's what I wanted to do.

buzzlegs
Common Wiggler

Post by buzzlegs » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:44 am

Severed head wrote:I just think it’s funny.
Maybe more people a post moke up, of grand ideas and collect a shit ton of cash from people and then realize it’s actually an insanely intense project that’s not gonna take just 6months like it would to circuit bend and add some controls to an existing piece of gear(ie te1)

Just because it’s eurorack and we’re dealing with small scale businesses/manufacturers doesn’t make it ok.
Ya know there are plenty of people out here that have really amazing idea like this one that don’t have the means to implement them financially or otherwise.
And from what I’ve seen through out the thread the guys implement this idea were either completely oblivious to what this project involved or were clearly aware and wanted to gather the needed funds with out openly stating this thing is just barely beyond the conception stage. Because I’d guess there would’ve be a fairly different number of backers for a 6months project and what’s bearing a 2 year with still not hammered down dead line project.

Maybe I’m a prick for say that or maybe there’s others thinking that don’t want to say it idk, but I’m thinking it’s more of the same ol’ eternal sin for anything less than absolute admiration.
I once did a kick-starter just for a powered USB lead to power guitar pedals, sounds easy doesn't it?.. est to take 6 months, took 3 years to do properly!.... making things takes time, with lots of unforeseen problems, esp with something this unbelievably complicated. He's basically re-invented the cassette transport system for a start.

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:47 am

If this was intended to be an extended until delivery, why wasn't that communicated at the outset? If other people knew this was going to be a quasi-loan, how did they arrive at that conclusion? This is what I mean by saying that I was naive going in: I've done simple through-hole DIY projects, I don't have instincts when it comes to delivery times of super-complex, incredibly-unique projects like this. I'm dependent on an expert (in this case the manufacturer) providing me with that info. The info that has been provided has then proved to be inaccurate. Again, I'm happy to point to specifics if that would be helpful. If this was such a complicated project, why was the confidence so high early on about a delivery date in 2018? What changed? Why do I not know that info?

To be clear, when I said I hope that Jim has learned from this project, THAT is SPECIFICALLY what I'm referring to. Jim's ambition, imagination, creativity are unparalleled, and personally inspiring to me. His marketing is absolutely horrendous. I should've been more specific in my original post, because again, Jim's dedication to this project and the instrument itself are absolutely inspiring.

I apologize for saying that the way Jim has done this is "not respectful" and "unethical." I don't know if I'm wrong to say that, but I also don't know if I'm right to say it. I shouldn't throw such terms around so lightly, especially for an incredibly small setup like Jim's. I just know that I wouldn't have done things like how Jim did, including accepting money up front and so far in advance.

Yes, I know that I could ask for a return. I don't want a return. I want this amazing instrument. Failing that, I want transparent, easy-to-understand information about when the TE-2 will be delivered and why. If that info changes going forward, fine - just provide a new explanation of why. I don't feel that that is unrealistic to ask for. I also can't say that I have that info right now.

MotoModular
Common Wiggler

Post by MotoModular » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:27 am

Hello, I don't ever want to single anyone out here on this thread, but I'm just going to kindly take a brief one time liberty, in a positive light, to illustrate something to help sustain the reputation of what's going on over here. I don't mean to be pedantic. I need to do it just once to have a factual basis to specifically avoid sounding like i'm just making this up to smooth this over. Because that will happen. I will get called out for making something like this up as a further sales pitch. It's already happened.

This recent poster received from me an offer of a refund yesterday, directly in a message, but they declined to accept it. They were polite and thorough. Their response was similar to the public posts, asking for deadlines. I totally get it. And the overall point is that they want a TE-2 more than the money back. That is a compliment and I thank you for that. (I'll reply to you directly as well.) The point of me illustrating this publicly is to show everyone that this happens, and that this isn't the only time this has happened. There are other people via email, and also on this forum, that i've directly offered refunds too and they declined also. You know who you are! Further more, they're generally quite supportive now after having thought it over i guess. This is a tricky factor for me isn't it. We're certainly all in this together. It's not that often that someone is unhappy enough that i make the decision to actively offer up a refund, but this is what always happens when i do. And yes i get that it feels like an interest free investment if you pull out and get nothing other than the money back. But this is direct reply to the notion of "give me my stuff or give me my money" (which, to be clear, was posted by someone who did not order a TE-2).

Then, on the full contrary, and i feel it's at this point necessary to note this too so that this business doesn't suddenly get painted as a trap by the current comments in this thread.. every time someone has reached out to kindly ask for a refund due to whatever reasons, i have given it. That's not very easy to manage, to be honest, during all of this upstart. But this is why you'll not find anyone saying that they couldn't get their money back.

I just had to state these things here very clearly. I did not want to ever discuss this publicly. It's not my way. But during a series of heavy criticism, it's necessary.

This does not satisfy all of the current questions going on right now. I'm going to do my best to satisfy the desire for clarified deadline/shipping information in the buyers update this evening. I'm also going to reply to some other things as soon as i can today or tomorrow. At the moment i have to get back on some TE-2 tasks for the day.

Jim

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:28 am

dam right I didn't back this

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:38 am

Severed head wrote:

Maybe I’m a prick for say that
Severed head wrote:
dam right I didn't back this
:despair: If you have no stake in this, why are you causing the distress? Go to gearslutz if you want to troll.

Jim has managed this very well actually. Want an example of poorly managed project, check the omnimod thread

leterell
Common Wiggler

Post by leterell » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:22 am

I'll be happy when i get my TE-2. Pretty happy to begin with. I knew the original timeline was optimistic. of course i hoped I'd have the product sooner but really, not surprised there are lots of aspects and challenges that become apparent only when starting production of the devices.

big companies can afford marketing etc, small shops' strategies and success on that front vary.

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:27 pm

leterell wrote:big companies can afford marketing etc, small shops' strategies and success on that front vary.
Strongly disagree with this notion. ANY communication between manufacturer and customers (potential customers or paid customers) is marketing.

EDIT: In case my statement doesn't make it clear, that means that marketing need not cost money and need not be something that only big companies can afford.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”