THE SPACE CASE TE-2 - Eurorack / Standalone Echo + Tape Unit

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Bionecteur
Learning to Wiggle

Re: THE SPACE CASE TE-2 - Eurorack / Standalone Echo + Tape Unit

Post by Bionecteur » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:19 am

happy belated :-)

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:56 am

It's been quite for a while here, hope you're fine...
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

MotoModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MotoModular » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:14 am

It's been loud here though ! :)
Thank you for all the birthday wishes, that's super nice.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:10 am

> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:03 pm

Ohh dat 3m mask! Nice work! Covid not getting anywhere near that face xD

citizensmurf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by citizensmurf » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:57 am

TemplarK wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:03 pm
Ohh dat 3m mask! Nice work! Covid not getting anywhere near that face xD
I assume the mask and glasses are for working with the CNC machine but now its on double duty. Safety first!

Bionecteur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bionecteur » Tue May 05, 2020 5:24 am

as the last buyers update was march 30, I would like to hear what's the latest news are, Jim . I hope that you are doing ok and that we hear about the progress and timelines. I know that Corona is all affecting us...

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue May 05, 2020 5:53 am

Bionecteur wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:24 am
as the last buyers update was march 30, I would like to hear what's the latest news are, Jim . I hope that you are doing ok and that we hear about the progress and timelines. I know that Corona is all affecting us...
'.

The last time it was about 'shipping end of winter' as proposed.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

MotoModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MotoModular » Tue May 05, 2020 8:38 am

Everything is a bit better here now regarding safety and health, thanks. We still have to be diligent since the epicenter is so close, but locally as a township we’ve managed to halt the increase of number infected.
I’ve been wishing I could put out helpful words / updates of substance via either this forum or the buyers update. But what to say during this?
Yes, covid really does have an impact and it’s been a runaround.
A few key manufacturers, that we depend on and have long relationships with, aren’t even responding to messages because they’re closed still. Some around the country are up and running with limited staffing and are of course experiencing delays due to that.
Also, our workshop is closed. It’s a large space, allowing for a lot of staging setups needed for all the kinds of work.
New York is still shut down.
This is a limbo period and most businesses are in the same position and many businesses are even just forced to do nothing for a while. Businesses left and right have given up and closed forever, especially small ones of course.
To keep the TE-2 moving forward, and to create benefit from this situation somehow, I’ve brought a lot of segments production in house, reassessed their physical construction to allow for in house technology, and I am in a sincerely great spot with results. Will continue to post pics on Instagram. I’ve been working as much as normal despite the shifted home demand that comes when schools are shut down for the rest of the school year and teachers are calling expecting the kids to be up on home schooled assignments and the state is not providing Mon-Fri off location school/supervision for special needs ones.
Anyways, I’ve been figuring it’s better to just hunker down, keep words to a minimum, and show results as they come. Pretty soon we’ll start seeing quantity piles of parts here. It’s a really healthy direction to be pointed.
All I can do right now is get as far ahead of third parties as possible, so that when they open up we can move immediately into bringing that stuff up to speed with what’s already done in house. It’s not possible even for me personally to re-interpret shipping timing until I have all communications going with all third parties and am back in the workshop, so I’m reluctant to project something to you that yet again will get flipped.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue May 05, 2020 8:55 am

I understand the troubles you have only to good as I run a business by myself and have kids that need time and care.

I think helpful would be if you could say what is in which quantities already done, like:

- boards are done for all preorders
- enclosure is still at the manufacturer that is closed
- half of the side cheeks are cut by myself hurting my back working that CNC-machine in the garage ;)

At least that is how I try to let my customers be informed about their orders.

Keep up and don't let you drag down to much of the circumstances! :)
> WTB ADDAC502 <

MotoModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MotoModular » Tue May 05, 2020 11:15 am

slumberjack wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:55 am
I understand the troubles you have only to good as I run a business by myself and have kids that need time and care.

I think helpful would be if you could say what is in which quantities already done, like:

- boards are done for all preorders
- enclosure is still at the manufacturer that is closed
- half of the side cheeks are cut by myself hurting my back working that CNC-machine in the garage ;)

At least that is how I try to let my customers be informed about their orders.

Keep up and don't let you drag down to much of the circumstances! :)
I apologize for the lack of updates. All that some buyers want is for the TE-2's to ship and for me to quit conveying fluffy insights. I get direct flack about this, in contrast to very nice words from others having waited just as long or longer. Not easy to interpret the general interest level in information. And it's tough to relay info without explaining things thoroughly, so sometimes i just hunker down and work towards shipping since really that's all that we all want.
- As of months ago, the schematic/components/boards/circuit is tested and validated with all of the actual components and working fully and ready for building and we were on the cusp of dropping the bomb onto boards for physical/noise tests, but suddenly were sent into multiple covid related holding patterns before getting it on to PCB's . It's pretty much all in the system though, verging on the "go" button for this. But the TE-2 is complicated and there are deep relationships between the board to other physical factors on the unit, hence multiple covid related hangups, not to mention the pcb company having their own runarounds from covid staffing limitations and their own third parties as well. Fortunately we took the route of 100% testing design/performance ahead of time as you saw pictured, rather than set us up for multiple rounds of risky musical/performance/artistic design changes. Humbly speaking, it should hopefully just be technical performance of board checks. So this isn't such a blind leap as taking a whole schematic and lumping it onto boards and hoping for the best musically. And we're in top notch hands with pcb integrity. But, nonetheless here we are. We know it works and sounds great, and we were so painfully close to boards, and video demo fun, testing for any board flaws/changes which require around 3 weeks each time, etc. Then it's on to builds, which is longer than 3 weeks of course, so not being where we wanted to be now is rough. This is the true pain from these shutdowns. For an operation with all of this constant push and patience test, it's a psychological blow for everyone involved and a strain for you all to tolerate and hold back the pitchforks.
- Actual small production confirmation round of 10 enclosures and 10 faceplates was done and has been sitting on hand for 6 weeks now. I managed to grab them right before the shutdown. This is not prototyping, this is an actual small production round so as to make sure we're good before dumping high dollars into the batch run. They're both perfect and i love them dearly. They informed, and have been informed by, every single element of the TE-2. When things open back up and all is more stabilized here, I'll be sending out for the first batch of raw enclosures and faceplates.
- The final powder coating and screen printing of this small run is now waiting on me which is good news. It's only a week or so turnaround no matter the quantity, and it's local so no shipping time, so it's been lower priority since the coat colors and design have been locked for a while (however the design has not be rendered publicly for a good bit). They were shut down as well. But now have got limited staffing going. So soon I'll send off the small production round using the raw stuff above. Hopefully it'll time such that while putting in the larger order of raw faceplates and enclosures I will then be able to quickly send off that larger round to get powder coated and screen printed right as I'm confirming the small round from coating/printing.
- The end cheeks cutting and treating in various forms, the VU meter enclosure, the rear power/accessory panel, the cassette lid and hinging mechanism, the accessory logo graphics, the VU meter accurate graphics cards, the enclosure's internal graphics, some custom product packaging, and possibly the vector rail cuts, is all in house now.( The vector cuts won't be kept in house.) All of these items are in final states ready for quantity runs here at home. The agenda was to reassess and make each thing just to make sure all is well, then do quantities. All of this is what released a lot of burden, and quite frankly quashed some sheer terror. It was a lot to swallow just a month ago, and is now going very well and it is what makes this covid scenario surmountable and also sets us up for fewer hangups going forward, not to mention quality and control of such. Previously all of this stuff was set up with various third parties, using different and varying methods that they could roll with but we couldn't. I lobbed them all off. Except Vector. They provide custom cuts at quantities of just 100, which is frickin rad.
- The 3D printed transport buttons were not yet printed in large quantity. This is one thing that had it occured to us all in Feburary that a full shutdown would occur in March, would have been ordered up ahead of time. We have some actual buttons in house, but only a small amount. When Covid hit, they turned their entire shop into a facemask manufacturing house for the front line workers in NYC. They are great people. When things get back to normal, we can get the small real round printed and then the larger round following. Turnarounds with them are a week or so and again they are local, so again this is was lower turnaround urgency/priority. But, hopefully they'll be in healthy turnaround timing when they open back up.
- The small round transport buttons are held up due to covid shutdowns of the manufacturer and i may need to take this over as well. There are two or three places that can do it at reasonable cost, but are only sustaining communications and not doing staff'd shop work.
- The custom knobs from overseas are already in hand in high quantity. These are absolutely crucial to the design so they were invested in long ago.
- The circular potentiometer nuts that I dug up from overseas are only in hand in a small quantity right now. Placing an order soon for a full batch but not sure about turnaround. This is the one unnecessary eccentricity of the design, but it's easy to accomplish.

I doubt this helps because it probably sounds like A: this is now going to take forever, or B: this is now going to take forever.
However, it's not. We were sitting at the point where this all comes together and suddenly the cord was yanked. And that's where we are still, but things are being improved as a solution. I can't provide a shipping date while the manufacturing world is flopping around. But i can say that this is turning out very well and I couldn't be more proud of what i'm doing.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue May 05, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks for your effort.

So summa summarum there will be in the very best (space) case (haha) autumn as time frame to expect a delivery if the COVID situation turns into a better state soon. Maybe thinking of a Christmas present would be more realistic I think.
Last edited by slumberjack on Wed May 06, 2020 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Tue May 05, 2020 11:31 pm

Hey Jim - Been loving your efforts and your results!

Just keeping your Instagram going occasionally as proof of life (no captions necessary, even) is totally good. No more no less. No text is needed in the way of an email unless you have something, or are in a happy mood to type. I do love the random off-topic ones where you wax about motor theory and other electronic topics. But I'm sad to hear people are ever giving you shit over something as magnificent as this project. I bet when they die they'll be reincarnated as caterers and have to put up with a lifetime of other selfish people yelling at them about pastries. I can't wait to receive one of these, knowing even more how personally thrown into the process you've become! The beveling shot on the VU meter was ace.

Just post a caption free photo every one or two weeks. People in the right frame of mind love this process. Shit, I'm just sitting on my computer tapping on the screen. You're the one working! And a big thank you for that.
SPOKEN WORD WITH ELECTRONICS, New Releases on EPTC, Spring/Summer 2020:
"This is the TRUTH!": https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-the-truth
"A Portable Paul Krassner": https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/paul-krassner

This week's show is a tribute to David Wojnarowicz:

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Thu May 07, 2020 6:34 am

Thanks for the write up. I know its difficult for all during this outbreak of Corona and being locked away we all have more time to mull over things, dream of things to come and pine for electronics that will make things all ok again.

I think for the most part we are all trying to be patient, yes we all fire off a question now and again and I'm sure from our side "Its just one question" but from Jim's its "ten questions a day" so I totally get why he just cannot spend his life tied down to every "where are the pcb's" and "is the case made" etc///

Hard as it is to join this process then Corona hit, its harder for those who were already getting anxious about how long its taken to formulate the plans, so literally credits to everyone that this thread is still positive and not bickering/fighting etc. Lets keep it that way.

I also enjoy the instagram photos! I think you might want to publicy state the buyers forum is now full and if theres nothing to add just open it up to maybe 5 questions a fortnight you deem to be good ones to answer or something more about the process than ETA i mean?

Bionecteur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bionecteur » Mon May 11, 2020 4:23 am

Hi Jim, thanks for the update and hope that things are getting better in NY soon! I love to read these detailed updates (not saying that I understand everything :-))... But it is not vital, although it is good to hear and see things from time to time, so that we know that you are doing fine.
hang in there!

Best

Uwe

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Tue May 19, 2020 9:59 pm

How is everyone enjoying their slice of the Controlavirus Plandemic? I can't help thinking about how this has dicked me out of a TE-2.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Tue May 19, 2020 10:49 pm

Thorsday wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:59 pm
How is everyone enjoying their slice of the Controlavirus Plandemic? I can't help thinking about how this has dicked me out of a TE-2.
LOL

This beautiful little beasty is years away from shipping

There isn't even one prototype built much less any pipeline for delivering on preorders

It's going to be so damn awesome though we all just suck it up and pray for updates!
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 am

gentle_attack wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:49 pm
Thorsday wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:59 pm
LOL

This beautiful little beasty is years away from shipping

There isn't even one prototype built much less any pipeline for delivering on preorders

It's going to be so damn awesome though we all just suck it up and pray for updates!
I thought there was one prototype built?! Or was that just a dog and pony show chassis adorned with hardwares and wood ends. I suppose that is why there are no videos of TE-2 in action. Only audio...

Zifor
Common Wiggler

Post by Zifor » Wed May 20, 2020 3:37 pm

As far as i am aware there are no prototype PCB units , only bread board.
Maggots Gnawing Leppers Toes

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 am

At least we have those lovely weekly updates that if you would read them all you would at least spend a month. Feels so unreal all of this...

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Thu May 21, 2020 2:41 pm

Estes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 am
At least we have those lovely weekly updates that if you would read them all you would at least spend a month. Feels so unreal all of this...
:alien:
> WTB ADDAC502 <

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Fri May 22, 2020 1:09 am

Is Murphy's law!

misterphoneman
Common Wiggler

Post by misterphoneman » Sat May 23, 2020 12:08 pm

So I guess this is good news yeah?? For the record, I've had to go back to the office 2 weeks ago. It's inevitable for all of us (unless you work for Twitter or some place).

"Under a modified executive order issued by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo on Friday night, groups of up to 10 people can gather for any lawful reason."

New York Allows Any Gatherings of Up to 10 People: Live Updates
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/23/nyre ... m8bYiSo-mA

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Thu May 28, 2020 2:13 am

To quote from the buyers update this week, the production is ramping up and tasks that are planned to be outsourced will now be made in house what leads to a substantial acceleration of some processes. They will be able to go back into their workspace this week AFAIK and so home office CNC cutting will be terminated for now.

There is still not a word on lead time of the product delivery but announcement of future product planning on the horizon.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

Return to “Eurorack Modules”