Logic module purpose?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:32 am

I don't understand the hostility. Does the OP have 'form'?

If not, then ugh ... this isn't a very nice place to be :(

zoogoo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zoogoo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:47 am

tioJim wrote:I don't understand the hostility. Does the OP have 'form'?

yeah they are mad that is said most digital modules are a ripoff and they should just use a computer. I try to ignore it now, it's all my posts. Honestly I'm starting to see the benefit of some digital modules, although I still refuse to get a digital vco, vcf, or most DSP.
Last edited by zoogoo on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:47 am

logic is useful as an alternative do using vac's and mixers for simple functions like this:

Only sending triggers out when a gate is high.

Muting triggers when a gate is high.

Mixing triggers/gates from different sources.

i love my doepfer a 166. really useful to have in the rack.

zoogoo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zoogoo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:48 am

brandonlogic wrote:logic is useful as an alternative do using vac's and mixers for simple functions like this:

what do you use with 166 in a patch wise?

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:06 am

I use Pam’s workout and time wizzard with it, and anything that outputs gates, like Turing machine pulses. I imagine I’ll use it with mutable marbles I’m picking up too.
Last edited by brandonlogic on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Post by Rigo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:12 am

zoogoo wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:logic is useful as an alternative do using vac's and mixers for simple functions like this:

what do you use with 166 in a patch wise?
I'd say take a look at http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a166_man.pdf

And while you are there, a lot of the Doepfer modules have very nice manuals. There are worse places to start learning about Eurorack. Might be due to the fact that Doepfer started it all ...

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:15 am

Summa wrote:
Shledge wrote:Digital ripoff. Don't waste your money. Doesn't even run on electricity, just pure 1s and 0s
man your comments are now getting equally annoying as the OP's, I know you hope he/she's going to crumble and confess that they're wrong and that it doesn't matter if it's digital or analog... not sure that is ever going to happen, it took zoogoo three years to reach this point why should he/she change opinion? :despair:
does not compute

Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Veqtor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:22 am

Something I used a logic module for the other day:
Used two manual triggers from Pressure points, where one was toggling a flipflop (intellijel) OR-combined (intellijel spock but you can use whatever) with the other, to produce a CDJ-ish cue/play/pause type interaction, when sent to Pamela's new workout, to be able to easier sync my modular to other music live.

I really end up using it in a lot of patches, do not underestimate also getting a flipflop module, one that ideally can be used to quantize (rythmically) gates to other gates

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:44 am

You don't really need a logic module for flip-flops. Clock dividers can do the same thing.

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:52 am

Shledge wrote:You don't really need a logic module for flip-flops. Clock dividers can do the same thing.
I'll take the strain bro. Dude can't use logic coz digital!

bkbirge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bkbirge » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:58 am

Logic does not have to be digital. The circuit doesn't even have to be electronic. We've got examples of both in eurorack already.

I like to think that with the right modules I could transform my eurorack into an Apollo era re-entry guidance computer. All we need is a punch card reader, probably someone in the DIY section has already made one.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/har ... g-computer

Modular & Dork Rock:
https://bkbirge.bandcamp.com/
Racks:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/88730
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/89177
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/379579

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." ~ Puck, 1903

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:00 am

bkbirge wrote:Logic does not have to be digital. The circuit doesn't even have to be electronic. We've got examples of both in eurorack already.

I like to think that with the right modules I could transform my eurorack into an Apollo era re-entry guidance computer. All we need is a punch card reader, probably someone in the DIY section has already made one.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/har ... g-computer
At this point the distinction is meaningless when it comes to logic modules. They do the job, and that's all that matters. ;)

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:27 am

zoogoo wrote:
tioJim wrote:I don't understand the hostility. Does the OP have 'form'?

yeah they are mad that is said most digital modules are a ripoff and they should just use a computer. I try to ignore it now, it's all my posts. Honestly I'm starting to see the benefit of some digital modules, although I still refuse to get a digital vco, vcf, or most DSP.
it's not even about your opinion of digital modules.

it's that you've positioned yourself in the past to have authoritative knowledge, but the reality is that you do not know what you are talking about. you spread false information, which influences other newcomers, and then you balk at people's responses when they're trying to be helpful.

you have poor forum etiquette and you post every little thought you have without first using the search function... and then you abandon that thread and ignore everyone's helpful advice when you have a new flight of fancy.

eskimo99
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eskimo99 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:58 pm

# nailed it

MrsWedge
Common Wiggler

Post by MrsWedge » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Has anyone ever made an ALU module for Euro rack?
I've been using 2 in my homemade system now for a few weeks. Wild stuff

mgscheue
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:31 pm

MrsWedge wrote:Has anyone ever made an ALU module for Euro rack?
I've been using 2 in my homemade system now for a few weeks. Wild stuff
XAOC has said they're working on some new stuff for their Leibniz Binary Subsystem (which is, so far, Drezno and Lipsk). I'm curious to see what it is. Seems like there's a lot of possibility for some unique things in building on what they have.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:03 pm

I use them for the same things you would use conditional statements in a programing language. I often use them to prevent envelopes from retriggering until they have completed their cycle. Currently I have a patch with a random stream of triggers in one input, a gate from one step of a Pressure Points into another input - I can stop and start the stream of triggers any time I want. Combining triggers or gates, conditional tests, conditional branching.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

Return to “Eurorack Modules”