A Thread about the Why We Bleep Podcast

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:52 pm

pines wrote:
All guests appear due to their merit. But the risk is in how easily it will happen that I allow the opinions of only one gender to be heard, ignoring half the population of the World.
I don’t think that it is a bad idea to search for folks outside of the western mainstream of gender and ethnicity who are involved in electronic music… and other fields as well. I give an elective course covering the intersections of Music, Architecture, and Technology, at New York Institute of Technology, where I am a full time professor of Architecture. I just started it a couple of years ago. I have been involved with electronic music for a long time. So in the first semester, when we got to the mid Twentieth Century, I just used my experience and accumulated knowledge to put together my lecture and listening session on electronic music. I covered the usual bases of Cage, Stockhausen, Louis Barron, Pierre Schaeffer, Xenakis, Subotnik, and so forth. Women were represented by Wendy Carlos, Suzanne Ciani,Pauline Oliveros, Bebe Barron, and Delia Derbyshire. I thought that I was being pretty inclusive, but felt that I should research more as I had classes with at least 50 percent women. The women were really interested in doing more research on their own, as they had no idea that these women existed. By the second semester i had added Elaine Radigue, Else Marie Pade, Johanna M. Beyer, and Daphne Oram. I had not heard of some of these women, and now they are among some of my favorites, especially Elaine Radigue. As for folks outside of America and Europe, I have only recently discovered Halim El-Dabh, an Egyptian, who was doing really interesting stuff with wire recorders in the 1940’s. There is a whole lot more. This is just the music side of things, we are also looking at architectural and hard technology development as well. Things get deeper and more interesting the farther that you dig. We do need to keep ourselves aware of the fact that women and non-western people have been engaged and productive in these pursuits all along. They were just not all that visible.
Yes. But it takes the will to do so:
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... es/552404/

So more power to you for doing this stromcat...

kidkoexist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kidkoexist » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:42 am

Thank you for the podcasts! It's quickly become my favorite.

stromcat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stromcat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Hello you beauties. Hope you're well, and a small bump to share a new meaty 2 hour(!!) episode chatting to Tom Furse of The Horrors, a fellow wiggler...

Episode 7 - Tom Furse, The Horrors
[video][/video]

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Excellent video and thank you for continuing this series!

A suggestion for a future episode... Benge. Seems like he'd have a wealth of great info to share. His modular collection looks amazing from the videos I've seen! :eek: Plus I think he's located not too far from you.
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm not going to listen to the whole thing now, but you sure make your sponsorship advert sound more fun & genuine than I could possibly imagine!

Moon Indigo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Moon Indigo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:35 pm

circuitburst wrote:Excellent video and thank you for continuing this series!

A suggestion for a future episode... Benge. Seems like he'd have a wealth of great info to share. His modular collection looks amazing from the videos I've seen! :eek: Plus I think he's located not too far from you.
Plus 100 for Benge.

Gubbist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Gubbist » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:58 am

It’s a good podcast. With some editing for ”brevity and clarity” it could be a great one.

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Fri May 31, 2019 12:49 pm

Anyone know if there's going to be more episodes? Did I miss an important announcement in the last episode saying he's resigned?

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Fri May 31, 2019 12:52 pm

there was a new one yesterday

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:05 pm

Funny. I had been refreshing my podcast app every week for months waiting for a new episode, I decided to enquire with fellow wigglers, and there it is, the next episode.

VM
Common Wiggler

Post by VM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:02 pm

Gubbist wrote:It’s a good podcast. With some editing for ”brevity and clarity” it could be a great one.
This, but i'd go further.

The content is all there and the speakers are interesting and qualified, but....dear god the host needs some lessons on speaking during interviews and podcasting.

There's a certain amount of nerdy verbosity that comes with the territory, but Mylar often takes 2 minutes to say what could be said better in 30 seconds, and a lot of it is just personal tedium and train of thought ramble. The sponsor ads at the start of each episode sound genuine and are good-spirited, but they take twice as long as they need to because the speaker sounds like he's simultaneously auditioning for a voice-acting role in a videogame.

The interview with Future Sound Systems was a goldmine of insight and entertainment, but I found large parts of it unlistenable after it spiralled into complete sillyness and honestly rather irritating impressions.

The best episode imo is still the Divkid one, where div did most of the talking and the host stepped back a bit, presumably out of humility(!?).

I really hope it gets better - this is the kind of thing I would happily support monetarily.

Zoran68
Learning to Wiggle

Re: A Thread about the Why We Bleep Podcast

Post by Zoran68 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:09 am

Where is Nr 5 with Oliver from Mutable Instruments?

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:06 am

Zoran68 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:09 am
Emilie.

rens
Common Wiggler

Post by rens » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:32 am

@stromcat i love this podcast. Keep em coming!

mgscheue
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:56 am

Zoran68
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Zoran68 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:31 pm

pieter wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:06 am
Zoran68 wrote:
Emilie.
Emilie?

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by peachesandbacon » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:42 pm

VM wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:02 pm
Gubbist wrote:It’s a good podcast. With some editing for ”brevity and clarity” it could be a great one.

The content is all there and the speakers are interesting and qualified, but....dear god the host needs some lessons on speaking during interviews and podcasting.

There's a certain amount of nerdy verbosity that comes with the territory, but Mylar often takes 2 minutes to say what could be said better in 30 seconds, and a lot of it is just personal tedium and train of thought ramble. The sponsor ads at the start of each episode sound genuine and are good-spirited, but they take twice as long as they need to because the speaker sounds like he's simultaneously auditioning for a voice-acting role in a videogame.

The interview with Future Sound Systems was a goldmine of insight and entertainment, but I found large parts of it unlistenable after it spiralled into complete sillyness and honestly rather irritating impressions.

The best episode imo is still the Divkid one, where div did most of the talking and the host stepped back a bit, presumably out of humility(!?).

I really hope it gets better - this is the kind of thing I would happily support monetarily.
Completely disagree I’m afraid.

The rambling silliness, rabbit holes, odd tangents and segways are what makes it brilliant listening. I don’t listen to Mylar for fact upon fact upon fact, I listen to him for exactly what you seem to dislike.

I also think the improvised adverts at the start are absolute genius, and are different every week. Rather than create a pre-recorded dull ramble, the ads are filled with humour and I actually WANT to listen to them.

Perhaps Why We Bleep just isn’t for you.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:45 pm

Zoran68 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:31 pm
pieter wrote:
Zoran68 wrote:
Emilie.
Emilie?
Emilie Gillet, the founder of Mutable Instruments, used to be called Olivier. :tu:

recliq
Common Wiggler

Post by recliq » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:16 pm

pieter wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:45 pm
Zoran68 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:31 pm
pieter wrote:
Zoran68 wrote:
Emilie.
Emilie?
Emilie Gillet, the founder of Mutable Instruments, used to be called Olivier. :tu:
The question remains... where is the interview? I'd love to hear that!

VM
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by VM » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:34 pm

peachesandbacon wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:42 pm
VM wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:02 pm

Completely disagree I’m afraid.

The rambling silliness, rabbit holes, odd tangents and segways are what makes it brilliant listening. I don’t listen to Mylar for fact upon fact upon fact, I listen to him for exactly what you seem to dislike.

I also think the improvised adverts at the start are absolute genius, and are different every week. Rather than create a pre-recorded dull ramble, the ads are filled with humour and I actually WANT to listen to them.

Perhaps Why We Bleep just isn’t for you.
It is for me, which is why i'm still listening to it 2+ years later. I'm not opposed to digressions and silliness and all the rest of it, no am I proposing his improv be replaced with a template of monotone ad copy. I just want Mylar's totally self-indulgent vocal lunacy dialled back from 11 to about 9.
Filthambient / Powerelectronics from Australia ---> Vile Masque

auxpin
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by auxpin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:35 pm

VM wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:34 pm

It is for me, which is why i'm still listening to it 2+ years later. I'm not opposed to digressions and silliness and all the rest of it, no am I proposing his improv be replaced with a template of monotone ad copy. I just want Mylar's totally self-indulgent vocal lunacy dialled back from 11 to about 9.
Maybe Mylar needs some coaching to dial it back just for you. Here you go Mylar I found this guy on the Youtubes that makes voiceover instructional videos. He's pretty good at it, you might have seen him about ;)

For the record (not that it's any of my business to tell someone how to do their podcast) keep it as it is :tu:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
dual.bandcamp.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to “Eurorack Modules”