A Thread about the Why We Bleep Podcast

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Re: A Thread about the Why We Bleep Podcast

Post by suthnear » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:39 am

stromcat wrote:aka 'british chris elliott
:lol:

captjrab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captjrab » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:15 am

Finally we get to see the man behind the hands. Good stuff, thanks!

dugoutcanoe
Common Wiggler

Post by dugoutcanoe » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:23 am

Great work! nice touch on the dueling Clouds with Olivier Gillet. Keep'm coming!

stromcat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stromcat » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:48 pm

A bump for a brand new episode, interviewing the awesome Scanner.

Episode 6 - Scanner
[video][/video]

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:36 pm

I really enjoyed the Scanner interview. So much ground covered and not all musical. All in all, very interesting indeed and the ninety minutes or so flew by.

vonstirlitz
Common Wiggler

Post by vonstirlitz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:06 am

Likewise, huge thumbs up for the latest interview. It wasnt so heavy on the modular content, but conceptually really interesting. Really enjoyed it.

pines
Common Wiggler

Post by pines » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks for doing these. It’s a lot of work to produce a podcast, and the compensation isn’t exactly commensurate with the time commitment. It’s really interesting to hear from the folks in the trenches. My opinions about certain designers, and their modules have evolved dramatically after hearing them talk. Keep them coming,

whinger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whinger » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:50 am

I really enjoyed the new format and found it very compelling. Maybe that's something to consider, alternate between manufacturers and artists?

stromcat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stromcat » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks so much folks!! x
pines wrote:Thanks for doing these. It’s a lot of work to produce a podcast, and the compensation isn’t exactly commensurate with the time commitment. It’s really interesting to hear from the folks in the trenches. My opinions about certain designers, and their modules have evolved dramatically after hearing them talk. Keep them coming
Yeah exactly. It's a labour of love even just doing one a month - it most certainly doesn't pay for itself yet(!) As I said before, I'm just really enjoying the conversations so I'll keep on keeping on.

One major issue has been a dearth of women and non-binary musicians to include, so if I plan to allow for remote interviews where necessary (and in the case where schedules just simply don't allow the interview to occur in time), as well as working harder to find local people to participate, suddenly my list of potential interviewees has tripled! It may be that doing half of these remotely means I can do this bi-monthly too. We'll see...
whinger wrote:I really enjoyed the new format and found it very compelling. Maybe that's something to consider, alternate between manufacturers and artists?
Thanks. Yep that's exactly my plan - have a manufacturer, then an artist, then a manufacturer - tricky depending on availability (some are really hard to pin down :) so it may not work out like that every time.

Much love all!! x
Last edited by stromcat on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vonstirlitz
Common Wiggler

Post by vonstirlitz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:24 pm

I really admire you putting these videos out there. The content has always been first class, and it clearly takes a lot of energy and commitment.

I would say one thing though, that you should be a bit careful about the choice of deliberately seeking out women or non-binary musicians. I only say that, as although I understand the desire, and agree generally, it does risk putting politics before content. It also risks creating a ghetto, by defining interviewees by reference to gender, rather than as simply musicians or makers. Also, do you then need to worry that the industry is under exposed to Asians, or people of African heritage, and then need to address this too? Its a minefield, and there is always a risk of leaving someone out...

Sure you know all this, and sure you will overcome the hurdles and continue to get good interviews, but thought it worth sharing my thoughts.

BTW, my fiance also enjoyed the last podcast, so its not as though women are excluded. She isnt really into music, but the content was good enough to grab her attention (and this is the second time this happened with the series).

stromcat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stromcat » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:38 pm

vonstirlitz wrote:I would say one thing though, that you should be a bit careful about the choice of deliberately seeking out women or non-binary musicians. I only say that, as although I understand the desire, and agree generally, it does risk putting politics before content. It also risks creating a ghetto, by defining interviewees by reference to gender, rather than as simply musicians or makers.
I totally understand what you're saying, but when I am compiling a list of people I think would be interesting guests, and I can quite easily rattle off 50 white men off the top of my head, but in the other column, I can come up with perhaps 10 women off the top of my head, and then need to actively google lists of women in electronic music, and to find that only a tiny handful of these women are in the UK, you realise that there is a problem that is only going to be solved through conscious effort.

All guests appear due to their merit. But the risk is in how easily it will happen that I allow the opinions of only one gender to be heard, ignoring half the population of the World.
vonstirlitz wrote: Also, do you then need to worry that the industry is under exposed to Asians, or people of African heritage, and then need to address this too?
That is literally what I want to try and do as well.

sukyaneer
Common Wiggler

support

Post by sukyaneer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi there

Just wanted to say how touched I am by many of the responses to my conversation with Mylar Melodies for his latest Podcast. We very intentionally avoided talking about particular modules, patches or processes, although I could have happily droned about those things for sure. We agreed that we both felt it important to share ideas, to inspire others in some ways, and to offer a little bit of history to who someone is and how they think.

It also opens out the Podcast to others who might be rather intimidated or less enthusiastic about the technical side of creating music. I mean I don't honestly watch any cookery shows, or particularly care about which spices they choose, or how long it sat in the oven for. I only know what my taste buds tell me :-D

So here's to many more curious minds and thoughts for our future.

:-)

dugoutcanoe
Common Wiggler

Post by dugoutcanoe » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:27 pm

That is literally what I want to try and do as well.
Hell ya! :sb:

pines
Common Wiggler

Post by pines » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:49 pm

All guests appear due to their merit. But the risk is in how easily it will happen that I allow the opinions of only one gender to be heard, ignoring half the population of the World.
I don’t think that it is a bad idea to search for folks outside of the western mainstream of gender and ethnicity who are involved in electronic music… and other fields as well. I give an elective course covering the intersections of Music, Architecture, and Technology, at New York Institute of Technology, where I am a full time professor of Architecture. I just started it a couple of years ago. I have been involved with electronic music for a long time. So in the first semester, when we got to the mid Twentieth Century, I just used my experience and accumulated knowledge to put together my lecture and listening session on electronic music. I covered the usual bases of Cage, Stockhausen, Louis Barron, Pierre Schaeffer, Xenakis, Subotnik, and so forth. Women were represented by Wendy Carlos, Suzanne Ciani,Pauline Oliveros, Bebe Barron, and Delia Derbyshire. I thought that I was being pretty inclusive, but felt that I should research more as I had classes with at least 50 percent women. The women were really interested in doing more research on their own, as they had no idea that these women existed. By the second semester i had added Elaine Radigue, Else Marie Pade, Johanna M. Beyer, and Daphne Oram. I had not heard of some of these women, and now they are among some of my favorites, especially Elaine Radigue. As for folks outside of America and Europe, I have only recently discovered Halim El-Dabh, an Egyptian, who was doing really interesting stuff with wire recorders in the 1940’s. There is a whole lot more. This is just the music side of things, we are also looking at architectural and hard technology development as well. Things get deeper and more interesting the farther that you dig. We do need to keep ourselves aware of the fact that women and non-western people have been engaged and productive in these pursuits all along. They were just not all that visible.

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:58 pm

pines wrote:
I don’t think that it is a bad idea to search for folks outside of the western mainstream of gender and ethnicity who are involved in electronic music… and other fields as well. I give an elective course covering the intersections of Music, Architecture, and Technology, at New York Institute of Technology, where I am a full time professor of Architecture. I just started it a couple of years ago. I have been involved with electronic music for a long time. So in the first semester, when we got to the mid Twentieth Century, I just used my experience and accumulated knowledge to put together my lecture and listening session on electronic music. I covered the usual bases of Cage, Stockhausen, Louis Barron, Pierre Schaeffer, Xenakis, Subotnik, and so forth. Women were represented by Wendy Carlos, Suzanne Ciani,Pauline Oliveros, Bebe Barron, and Delia Derbyshire. I thought that I was being pretty inclusive, but felt that I should research more as I had classes with at least 50 percent women. The women were really interested in doing more research on their own, as they had no idea that these women existed. By the second semester i had added Elaine Radigue, Else Marie Pade, Johanna M. Beyer, and Daphne Oram. I had not heard of some of these women, and now they are among some of my favorites, especially Elaine Radigue. As for folks outside of America and Europe, I have only recently discovered Halim El-Dabh, an Egyptian, who was doing really interesting stuff with wire recorders in the 1940’s. There is a whole lot more. This is just the music side of things, we are also looking at architectural and hard technology development as well. Things get deeper and more interesting the farther that you dig. We do need to keep ourselves aware of the fact that women and non-western people have been engaged and productive in these pursuits all along. They were just not all that visible.
Thanks for the recommendations!

One correction: Éliane Radigue
interview

Full speech set to music.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:06 pm

Every time I see the podcast I think: pff... 90 minutes? Do I have time to watch it? And then I watch it all. Great interviews, and particularly I found the last one with Scanner very touching. It reminded me to bring my portable recorder on holiday so I can record my family in flagrante delicto...

PS. modwiggler +1

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:19 pm

Just to add my voice to the praise. These are great podcasts, extremely informative and just well, interesting. As others have said, the 90 minutes just slips by. All of them have been great.

This most recent one with Scanner was particularly so. I find hearing people’s stories very inspiring.

I am amazed by how thoughtful the people in this community are and continue to be thankful for stumbling across it.

Keep up the good work!

Ps. I thought the interview with Olivier (where you were remote) worked just as well so perhaps this would enable you to interview those in more far flung places? Bana Hafar? Brian from OD?
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

tnktni
Common Wiggler

Post by tnktni » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:37 pm

Hats off to an engaging episode, thoroughly enjoyed the listen.

vonstirlitz
Common Wiggler

Post by vonstirlitz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:52 pm

stromcat wrote:That is literally what I want to try and do as well.
Great. There are a lot of different voices out there, who would be worthy of interview. Good luck.

FrogStar
Common Wiggler

Post by FrogStar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:22 am

I had a wonderful dream in which Stromcat did an interview with a Legowelt.
Perhaps I should start a petition and gather signatures to make it happen.

stromcat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stromcat » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:28 am

FrogStar wrote:I had a wonderful dream in which Stromcat did an interview with a Legowelt.
Perhaps I should start a petition and gather signatures to make it happen.
Mate, I WISH!!

Amsterdam trip - Legowelt and Colin Benders in one fell swoop?!! I'm there...

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:28 am

Loved the Scanner podcast. Talking about non-gear stuff is just dandy as it won't feel dated after a year or two, although I do like the gear chats as well.

If we're doing wishlists I'll throw a vote for:
Ann Annie
Ian Boddy
Mark Shreeve
Emily Sprague
Paul Lawler
Our own DCramer
KAS
(edit: Andrew Belt of VCRack fame)

Comedy answer: Martin Gore

hw408
Common Wiggler

Post by hw408 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:51 pm

This awesome podcast kept me up way past bedtime but it was worth it.

i listened to Mutable and Abstract, both were great discussions. Really cool to hear what they have to say.
Thanks!

kenosis
Common Wiggler

Post by kenosis » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:17 pm

As a result of the Scanner interview, I have now decided to be more strict with journaling, and applying these thoughts and ideas to my patching. Awesome podcast and interview!

sukyaneer
Common Wiggler

Post by sukyaneer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:24 pm

kenosis wrote:As a result of the Scanner interview, I have now decided to be more strict with journaling, and applying these thoughts and ideas to my patching. Awesome podcast and interview!
That's fantastic to hear. Keep the discipline and you will reap the benefits for sure!! Just looking back many years down the line can be revelatory! :-)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”