Announcing Maze: Sequential attenuverting router and mixer.

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:44 am

LiveStock Electronics wrote:
a change on the falling edge
The idea for this is so you can play around with the pulse widths and add delay to the SLCT input, which is really useful. But I can understand this can be confusing in some cases. Maybe you should be able to add delay in the settings? However you will loose some playability. :hmm: Could add this in an expander...
That makes sense... maybe an option in the settings to switch between rising or falling edge?

Also I think there might be a bug with morphing when setting gains. When I have morphing set to 99 with the Quick setting, it takes about 2 seconds to transition between saves -- but if I select a routing and quickly sweep the gain from +99 to -99, the routing and light change extremely slowly, maybe 2 seconds for each step (roughly 6 and a half minutes)... so I have to turn morphing down to 0 for editing to respond well. It seems to me that the morph time shouldn't apply to routing changes.

LiveStock Electronics
Common Wiggler

Post by LiveStock Electronics » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:13 am

switch between rising or falling edge
yeah this could work.
morph time shouldn't apply to routing changes
hmm... this should already be the case. I am going to start on the update today, and have a look at it.

Thank you for the feedback.

LiveStock Electronics
Common Wiggler

Post by LiveStock Electronics » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:36 am

Okay so here we go!
First update V1.1 is online here

So what's new:
- Deselecting while setting routings will set routing to either zero, previous, current, and then unselects. (this is switchable in settings)
- Trigger for SLCT input can be set to trigger on “HIGH” or “LOW” (So on +5V or 0V, again this is switchable in settings)
- In settings, when switching banks. Display states “Bank 1”, “Bank 2” etc. instead of just “Bank”.
- While changing routings: the LED indicator will turn green for attenuation and red for attenuversion.
- While changing routings: all not selected routing positions will dim brightness.
- While changing routings: morph will not influence routings that are being changed. 
Fixed:
- Slight chance of clearing the bank when pressing the encoder just before going into Settings.

starthief
For the Trigger I have set it to either on +5V (HIGH) or 0V (LOW), what is nice about this is that when you trigger saves with an envelope: setting it to HIGH allows you to delay with the attack phase. Setting it to LOW allows you to delay it with the decay(AD) or release(ADSR) phase.

Cheers!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:15 am

Thanks! Selection feels a lot better now, and the deselection options are helpful. I really like the Previous mode, either for making temporary changes that return to normal, or correcting myself when I select the wrong routings.

It doesn't seem to trigger reliably in HIGH mode though -- often it takes 4 triggers before it will advance once, sometimes as many as 10. I've tried it with Marbles (about 8V), LS-1 Lightstrip (5V) and the square LFO out of Double Helix (+9V / -9V).

LiveStock Electronics
Common Wiggler

Post by LiveStock Electronics » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:32 am

starthief
Awesome.
It doesn't seem to trigger reliably in HIGH mode though
Ehm..
OK, that's strange. LOW is working fine? And if you set it HIGH and use a Gate signal. Does it work then?

I am not in the workshop atm. but will take a look asap.

LiveStock Electronics
Common Wiggler

Post by LiveStock Electronics » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:52 am

starthief
Strangely enough I did not have the issue when testing, but just took a quick look at the code, and may have found the culprit. Will be able to test it in about an hour or so.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:15 am

Yeah, LOW was working fine. And I was sending gates with some length to them.

LiveStock Electronics
Common Wiggler

Post by LiveStock Electronics » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:25 am

starthief
Ok, just tested it with some other modules too. It should be fixed now, sorry about that!
Again you can find it here

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:43 am

Great, thanks again! :guinness:

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:59 am

So i am having the module for few days and having a lot of fun.
However i noticed that loud input signals can affect preset selection, either make it unresponsive (stuck) or always return to preset 1!
Has anyone noticed something similar?
Could i be doing something wrong?

Btw if i attenuate the signal before it goes to the maze the problem goes away.

cheers

LiveStock Electronics
Common Wiggler

Post by LiveStock Electronics » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:12 am

Hi Greg,
Sorry to hear you are having issues. Just wrote you a mail but will put my answer here as well.

Some things you can try:

- Make sure the sequence length and start position are set to a range that suits the matrix. For example Sequence Length = 15 and sequence Start = 1. You can change these in "Save Mode" with the encoder (sequence length without pushing, sequence start with pushing) .

- Recalibrate the SLCT input: 1. Go to settings by holding the FUNC button. 2. Make sure the SLCT input is unplugged. And press the "Calibrate SLCT Input" button as indicated in the manual section "SETTINGS".

- Update with the online update v.1.1, there were some issues with triggering the SLCT input but they should have been fixed with the update. This update should be on your module. But you never know, it may help.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:17 am

LiveStock Electronics wrote:Hi Greg,
Sorry to hear you are having issues. Just wrote you a mail but will put my answer here as well.

Some things you can try:

- Make sure the sequence length and start position are set to a range that suits the matrix. For example Sequence Length = 15 and sequence Start = 1. You can change these in "Save Mode" with the encoder (sequence length without pushing, sequence start with pushing) .

- Recalibrate the SLCT input: 1. Go to settings by holding the FUNC button. 2. Make sure the SLCT input is unplugged. And press the "Calibrate SLCT Input" button as indicated in the manual section "SETTINGS".

- Update with the online update v.1.1, there were some issues with triggering the SLCT input but they should have been fixed with the update. This update should be on your module. But you never know, it may help.

Thanks, i got your email.
I will try these and get back to you again :)

JeshuaW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JeshuaW » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:34 am

I have a quick question regarding Maze.

If I would like to morph 4 inputs smoothly based on the time and curvature of an LFO in my system, would using continuous sequencing mode achieve this?

The manual didn't give me a clear indication that this was possible. Morphing seemed to be handled internally only from what I could gather.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:52 pm

LiveStock Electronics wrote:Hi Greg,

Some things you can try:

ok so I tried all evening and I could not reproduce the problem again so fingers crossed it was one of those days :)

LiveStock Electronics
Common Wiggler

Post by LiveStock Electronics » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:06 pm

JeshuaW wrote:Morphing seemed to be handled internally only from what I could gather.
Yes morphing is only done internally. As you control the presets using the SLCT input not morphing.

However, let's say you want to go from one state to another using the curvature of a wave. You could create a bunch of presets each with a desired state (let's say 16 presets). Preset 1 being one maximum state and preset 16 being the other maximum state. Presets 2-15 are states between the maximum states. Set the morphing speed fairly fast and have your modulating wave go through the presets using Continuous mode.

The presets will be set corresponding to the voltage of your modulating wave. You will eventually still end up with 16 states but the morphing will smooth it out.

Hmm... it may be cool to add a mode that will fade presets from one to another by the voltage in the SLCT input. But I am not sure yet if this would work well in practice. Give me some time to think about it and try some stuff out.

peripatitis wrote:could not reproduce the problem again
That is great news! Let's hope it was some human error going on ;). Did you try any of my fixes? Also I just figured it may have been a grounding problem. I imagine a problem like that could occur if you don't meet the minimum power consumption or exceed the maximum consumption of the power supply. This can be something worth while checking. Anyway of course feel free to contact me if you have the problem again, and we'll get it sorted.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:06 pm

LiveStock Electronics wrote:Hmm... it may be cool to add a mode that will fade presets from one to another by the voltage in the SLCT input. But I am not sure yet if this would work well in practice. Give me some time to think about it and try some stuff out.
It seems like it'd be amazing to be able to crossfade between presets with LFOs or envelopes 8-)

f33d
Wiggling with Experience

Post by f33d » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:38 am

Interesting module!
Love Matrices - I had the WMD, Doepfer & FFS Matrices in the past.
I wonder about the Maze:
What is the offset/attenuverter resolution. It seems like a XX display so 99?
With the Doepfer Matrix the most fun was the "analog" resolution allowing to mix CVs in very, very, very fine detail to find the sweet spot. With 99step resolution that would be not possible. (of course the Doepfer has only this one function & not the amazing other functions of the maze).

Is it possible to generate random presets/banks?

Thanks!

LiveStock Electronics
Common Wiggler

Post by LiveStock Electronics » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:30 am

f33d
Sorry for the late reply, I was away for an event.
It seems like a XX display so 99?
Yes, it is 99 for attenuation, and 99 for attenuation + inversion, so 198 in total.

I was considering doing Hexadecimal. So you could have 256 instead of 99 on each side. But I prefer to keep it simple, as for me and for most people Hex requires a lot more thinking. Also I am afraid that other options for adding more precision would make the module more complex than it needs to be. (At least for the options that I could come up with so far).
Is it possible to generate random presets/banks?
This one is on the to-do list. Just figuring out how to implement it.

Cheers,

Drilldoughzer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drilldoughzer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:48 pm

Where could I find a new one in Canada or in the US?

stickman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:08 am

starthief wrote:
LiveStock Electronics wrote:Hmm... it may be cool to add a mode that will fade presets from one to another by the voltage in the SLCT input. But I am not sure yet if this would work well in practice. Give me some time to think about it and try some stuff out.
It seems like it'd be amazing to be able to crossfade between presets with LFOs or envelopes 8-)
Seconded, this would be amazing like a frames on steroids!

Drilldoughzer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drilldoughzer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:21 am

LiveStock Electronics wrote:Drilldoughzer
It is sold out in the US atm. But tomorrow I'll ship a new batch to Perfect Circuit.
Great thanx! I think that this Maze is the missing link in my performance rack...

stickman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:40 am

My maze arrived today; haven't been this excited about a module in a long time!

Mr. Livestock - Have you ever considered open sourcing the firmware? I have a bunch of esp8266s I'd love to make friends with the teensy!

LiveStock Electronics
Common Wiggler

Post by LiveStock Electronics » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:10 am

stickman
Awesome! Great to hear you are excited about it. Sorry for my late reply, last month I was quite ill so I did not check muffs. Nothing too serious though.

Yeah open sourcing the software was something I was planning to do. But I don't think I can handle giving support for that too atm. As making software easy to change is a whole different ballgame and costs a lot of time. Also I can say from experience that tinkering with software can be costly as you can destroy the module and I may want to prevent this from happening..

So I am still thinking about it.

BTW: Firmware update v1.1.1 is coming up by the end of the week.

Cheers,
Daniel

stickman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:53 am

Hope you're feeling better and look forward to the update!

Get what you're saying there's a world of difference between a codebase for personal/work consumption and ones for the oss community..

Btw I think mine has a little bleed from inputs fully attenuated; is that to be expected?

Love the module using it in combo with an a138m and 3 oscs for crazy FM atm :bananaguitar: love sequencing it!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”