LED patch cables? JackLights?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Naenyn
Common Wiggler

LED patch cables? JackLights?

Post by Naenyn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:46 pm

So, I love blinky, flashy, sparkly LEDs. I saw a while back that someone created patch cables that had LEDs built in to them. Are these still a thing? Are they ok to use or not recommended due to power draw? Assuming they are ok and don't interfere too much with voltage, where could I pick some up?
Last edited by Naenyn on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-n :ninja:

My for sale thread
My generative / synth eurorack on Modulargrid
1U Tile Rack | 60hp Overflow Pod
You can also find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

monoscan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by monoscan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:23 pm

I've wanted them forever because I bring my Eurorack into my classroom a lot and figured students would be drawn to more flashing lights and stuff. However, that one guy that sold them a couple years back doesn't seem to be in the game anymore :(

Naenyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:44 pm

monoscan wrote:However, that one guy that sold them a couple years back doesn't seem to be in the game anymore :(
Are you perhaps referring to Mushi.One? I contacted him/them on Facebook back in January ... they responded saying they were going to make more and would let me know when that would happen. I haven't heard back since then. Just dropped them another message to see if I could get an update.

Are they available from anyone else?

On a side note, a slightly related question... Do people find JackLights useful? Was thinking they might be a good alternative to at least get an idea of what's going on, but it seems like the LED cables (or just stackable cables and plugging in an oscilloscope) would be more useful... Thoughts?

My for sale thread

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:34 pm

I have some DIY jacklights, they are not too difficult to make. I don't find them very useful, other than to add more blinking lights to the modular. If I really need to know what's going on, I use the 'scope.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:38 pm

I have some Jacklights. They were somewhat useful before I got an O'Tool+, mostly obsolete for me now. Every once in a while I will still plug in one or two of them to watch triggers/gates from my MIDI converter.

The main problem is, of course, that you'd have to stick them into a Stackable to let the signal pass through, and the lights themselves are a little wide and awkward for that. So LED cables would be better if you can get them.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Naenyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:17 pm

starthief wrote:I have some Jacklights. They were somewhat useful before I got an O'Tool+.
Out of curiosity, how much do you use the O'Tool+? I originally had one in my synth rack (another thread here), but it was suggested that I use an external oscilloscope and to save the money/hp for other modules. Would you agree, for a starter synth rack, or do you think the O'Tool+ is a worthwhile purchase? I have to admit, the "cool" factor is what drew me in initially. It is pretty.

My for sale thread

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:37 pm

I have a single Jacklight that I use for diagnosing signals, like a rudimentary low speed scope. Works well enough for me. I don't own a scope, so it's what I have. Comes in handy when I can't remember if something is outputting a bipolar or unipolar signal. I've also done some no-listen patching before to test our rhythmic generator patch ideas I have, and the Jacklight works well for monitoring that without having to hook up any audio. I bought it before I even bought any modular gear, and it's been invaluable to me.

Naenyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks for the comments about the Jacklights, all. Ordered some.

Still hopeful that those LED patch cables become available at some point.

My for sale thread

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:21 pm

I bought 6 jack lights a few years back.
I find them useful in modules that have outputs that do not light up a LED when they do whatever they do.
The biggest problem with them is I am always loosing them.
They are always plugged into something but they seem to get lost under cables and in the general Blikenlights.
I bought 6 and usually can only find 2 or 3 :hmm:

Foghorn
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Naenyn wrote:Out of curiosity, how much do you use the O'Tool+? I originally had one in my synth rack (another thread here), but it was suggested that I use an external oscilloscope and to save the money/hp for other modules. Would you agree, for a starter synth rack, or do you think the O'Tool+ is a worthwhile purchase? I have to admit, the "cool" factor is what drew me in initially. It is pretty.
If you have a decent dual-trace scope that you can read DC voltages on, AND a decent tuner for calibrating, O'Tool+ might not be a big deal.

What I had before was a cheap pocket scope with a lower resolution and accuracy, with a single trace, that was hard to read voltages on and not very friendly to use, whose battery kept draining itself. Most of the time I wouldn't bother to connect it. With O'Tool+ in the rack I have no excuse not to look at a signal though and figure out what's going on.

Dual trace is really helpful since you can compare similar modules or see simultaneous "before" and "after" signals.

I hear a lot of good things about Mordax Data too. It's bigger, but also has things like LFOs/VCOs built in.

I thought I might want to let go of mine once my rack filled up and I wasn't using it to learn the capabilities of new modules, but with things like Stages that can produce complex modulation signals, I find it's worth keeping around.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Naenyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:07 pm

starthief wrote:If you have a decent dual-trace scope that you can read DC voltages on, AND a decent tuner for calibrating, O'Tool+ might not be a big deal.
Hm, like you have/had, I've got a couple little pocket scopes. I just got them, so haven't had much experience yet. Maybe I'll just use those until I feel I've outgrown them? As to a tuner, I was planning on using this plugin to tune things. It has worked ok for my semi-modulars. Hopefully it'll continue to do the trick, at least for the short term.
starthief wrote:I hear a lot of good things about Mordax Data too. It's bigger, but also has things like LFOs/VCOs built in.
That thing looks amazing. I was introduced to it recently courtesy of DivKid. Not sure it'd ever make sense for me to have one, but I get why he uses it. Pretty awesome module.

Thanks for the insight. Giving me something to think about.
Foghorn wrote:The biggest problem with them is I am always loosing them.
Hm, I could see that becoming an issue.. especially for larger setups. Sounds like you need a small container just for them?
Foghorn wrote:Blikenlights.
Had to google that one. How have I lived this long without hearing that term?

My for sale thread

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:57 pm

Naenyn wrote:
Hm, I could see that becoming an issue.. especially for larger setups. Sounds like you need a small container just for them?
I've got a few of these stacking storage bins or similar, where I keep jacklights, 3.5mm to 1/4" adapters, cable ties, 0HP modules, very short cables for self-patching, etc.

They knock over too easily to trust with screws and washers, so I keep those in a bag in a drawer :)

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:48 pm

I have a bunch of jacklights and use them for diagnostic use mostly. They are also very useful if you use Stackable cables a lot. I just started using them, I have been using DIY jack splitters up to now and still do. If you have a long chain of CVs going through Stackable cables, it is VERY helpful to plug a Jacklight into the final destination of the patch cord chain. You get to see what the final combo of CVs is actually doing.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Naenyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:00 am

Glad to hear that the Jacklights are so useful!

Does anyone make LED patch cables besides Mushi.One?

My for sale thread

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:11 am

Naenyn wrote:Glad to hear that the Jacklights are so useful!

Does anyone make LED patch cables besides Mushi.One?
There is a fine wiggler named Igor Berlin that at least used to make some, see this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=1597390#1597390

I have a few and they are nice. :tu:

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:27 am

Naenyn wrote:
starthief wrote:I hear a lot of good things about Mordax Data too. It's bigger, but also has things like LFOs/VCOs built in.
That thing looks amazing. I was introduced to it recently courtesy of DivKid. Not sure it'd ever make sense for me to have one, but I get why he uses it. Pretty awesome module.

Thanks for the insight. Giving me something to think about.
I’ve just put data into my rack and it’s a game changer for me. It’s not cheap, or small, but offers great value imo. When it’s not analysing stuff, it can do vco, and lfo, as starthief mentioned, but also clocking, with division and multiplication. You can save 8 setups too, so it can go from customised scope to customised clock, to osc, or mod, instantly. One of those “ exceeded expectations” modules, even though it’s all in the very clear manual...

MoogCloud
Common Wiggler

Post by MoogCloud » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:26 am

starthief wrote:
Naenyn wrote:
I've got a few of these stacking storage bins or similar, where I keep jacklights, 3.5mm to 1/4" adapters, cable ties, 0HP modules, very short cables for self-patching, etc.

They knock over too easily to trust with screws and washers, so I keep those in a bag in a drawer :)
Its really easy to lose washers and screws and other tiny bits of gear. Recently I re purposed plastic see through prescription bottles to hold screws. This has kept them together and prevented some of my scattered junk from getting away.
Mother 96, GRP R24, and 18U of EuroMagic.
Modular Grid
My SoundCloud

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:39 am

Usually I lose them when working with them... drop a washer, it bounces, it's "gone." Until I find it sitting right there in the open 3 weeks later, or balanced perfectly on a knob, or on the floor in another part of the house :lol:

Drilldoughzer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drilldoughzer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:46 am

Made a couple of jack leds:
[video][/video]

MoogCloud
Common Wiggler

Post by MoogCloud » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:48 am

starthief wrote:Usually I lose them when working with them... drop a washer, it bounces, it's "gone." Until I find it sitting right there in the open 3 weeks later, or balanced perfectly on a knob, or on the floor in another part of the house :lol:
It is funny how far they will bounce!
I keep a rare earth magnet handy for sweeping the floor. It gets all kinds of stuff and occasionally a screw!
Mother 96, GRP R24, and 18U of EuroMagic.
Modular Grid
My SoundCloud

Naenyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 pm

I dropped Mushi.One a message on Facebook. Here was the response:
Mushi.One wrote:Hey there, we are getting the first prototypes just after superbooth. So relatively soon I hope.
So, maybe new LED patch cables soon!

My for sale thread

Bitmud
Common Wiggler

Post by Bitmud » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:52 pm

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:15 pm

Drilldoughzer wrote:Made a couple of jack leds:
[video][/video]
That's a brilliant guide - thank you!

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:22 pm

Bitmud wrote:
Thats a good idea! Care to share the 3D model? :party:

okiikahuna
Learning to Wiggle

Re: LED patch cables? JackLights?

Post by okiikahuna » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:57 pm

I like the idea of led patch cables. seems like they could be very handy, for understanding whats happening in a patch, especially for rhythmic gates and triggers.Plus more blinky lights are always good.A google search for led patch cables turned up a company called Logsden Audio who say they are in stock. Anybody have any experience with this company? here's the link: https://www.logsdonaudio.com/synth-cabl ... atch-cable

Return to “Eurorack Modules”