LED patch cables? JackLights?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Sareal
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by Sareal » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:02 pm

Naenyn wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:44 pm
monoscan wrote:However, that one guy that sold them a couple years back doesn't seem to be in the game anymore :(
Are you perhaps referring to Mushi.One? I contacted him/them on Facebook back in January ... they responded saying they were going to make more and would let me know when that would happen. I haven't heard back since then. Just dropped them another message to see if I could get an update.

Are they available from anyone else?

On a side note, a slightly related question... Do people find JackLights useful? Was thinking they might be a good alternative to at least get an idea of what's going on, but it seems like the LED cables (or just stackable cables and plugging in an oscilloscope) would be more useful... Thoughts?
these mushi.one are nice. gonna try some

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Re: LED patch cables? JackLights?

Post by adaris » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:41 pm

okiikahuna wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:57 pm
I like the idea of led patch cables. seems like they could be very handy, for understanding whats happening in a patch, especially for rhythmic gates and triggers.Plus more blinky lights are always good.A google search for led patch cables turned up a company called Logsden Audio who say they are in stock. Anybody have any experience with this company? here's the link: https://www.logsdonaudio.com/synth-cabl ... atch-cable
I decided to give some of these a try after reading your post, they just arrived today. I obviously can't speak to their durability yet, but they seem sturdy enough. They are definitely thicker than I realized, in fact they are even thicker than my braided Polar Noise cables. But the LEDs are big and bright and colorful and work as advertised - so they look great.

okiikahuna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by okiikahuna » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:56 am

Thanks for your post, it looks like Logsden are pretty legit. I think I'll order some cables myself, then we can compare notes on longevity.

Naenyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 am

Just to follow up.. I did manage to get some of the mushi.one led cables. It was somewhat difficult getting the order in, given the limited supply and the high (at least, at the time?) demand. Worth it, though. They’re very nice. Although, Maths doesn’t like them very much. Guess they take too much power or something.
-n :ninja:

My for sale thread
My generative / synth eurorack on Modulargrid
1U Tile Rack | 60hp Overflow Pod
You can also find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:40 am

If you have some jacklights which were available from Division 6(years ago), they work well when plugged into a stackable cable.
Whether purchased or DIY (just a dual color led sticking out of a jack) these things are handy to have around.
Plus they can add some blinkenlights to an otherwise typically dark eurorack case. :hmm:

Foghorn
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Post by gelabs » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:13 pm

Thonk ( https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/fss-led-jacks/ ) and Ladik ( http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=11 ) have those "Ajacks"/"Checkers".
They are very handy with modules that require patching dummy cables, like M.I Stages or Dual Borg.
The planet was, I realized, one of the spots before my eyes.
soundcloud - bandcamp - youtube

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:54 pm

I made a bunch of these last year when I first got into modular. It was a fun easy project... can't imagine why anyone would buy them. (Especially for how much I've seen some places sell them for!)

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

okiikahuna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by okiikahuna » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:39 am

Just ordered some LED cables from Logsdon Audio. Took a bit of patience since their online checkout seems to be just barely functional. But I eventually managed to place an order. Too bad its so difficult. I'll bet they lose sales to people who lose patience with the checkout process, and just give up. But I got an immediate email confirmation, so I'm hoping all goes well now.

okiikahuna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by okiikahuna » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 am

Update Logsden sent an email saying the cables were shipped and gave a tracking number. So despite their ;pusy web checkout system they are looking pretty good. If anybody decides to order from them, just remember to leave more time than you think it could possibly take to get through the ordering and checkout process. Be prepared for inordinately long waits to get from one checkout page to the next. But in the end it seems to work well and the company seems pretty legit. Of course, I haven't actually seen the cables yet. But at least one fellow wiggler had a positive first impression. Also, on a related topic, it looks like Perfect circuit in Burbank carries the Division 6 Jack lights. Oh, and I think blinkenlights is a perfectly acceptable term of art, for this kind of stuff.

fitzgreyve
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fitzgreyve » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:11 am

As an expeirment, I recently tried to convert a cheap chinese iluminated USB cable into a patch cable. These have two pairs of conductors with an optical fibre running between them, and a LED in one of the USB plugs.

Unfortunately, you need to drive a pretty high current through the LED to get the cable to illuminate - fine for USB, but no good for modular CV or gate signals.
Under developement:
- "Muse"
---------------------------------------
https://fitzgreyve2.blogspot.com/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”