Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:13 am

Hi!

Is anyone running one in an Intellijel Palette case? Really interested in learning if this could work... thanks!

blakflag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blakflag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 am

Do people think it would it be worth buying one or more expanders just to have a huge bank of LFOs available? Or would my money be better spent on a dedicated LFO generator?

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:23 pm

blakflag wrote:Do people think it would it be worth buying one or more expanders just to have a huge bank of LFOs available? Or would my money be better spent on a dedicated LFO generator?
depends what your MIDI control situation looks like. if you have a good interface for controlling the LFO parameters in an obvious way (e.g. a sequencer like the Pyramid or Cirklon where you can create instrument definitions with labels for CC messages) and would prefer more sequenced control over your LFOs than arbitrary CV control over your LFOs, then I'd go more the expander route.

it's also nice how you can natively mix direct control and sequencing of the CV outputs with the FH2's LFOs, without tying up external mixing/summing modules.

I wouldn't want FH2 to be my only LFOs but because I definitely want more than 8 assignable MIDI/CV outputs in my 7U I went with one expander. fwiw, I prefer FH2 for compositional integration (i.e. all the control clearly built into my sequencer) of my clocked modulations over something like a Pamela's Workout. but would never consider ditching my Batumi.

blakflag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blakflag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:38 pm

:bananaguitar: Thanks autopoiesis, that makes sense. I think I will pick up at least one expander then. I also absolutely love the illuminated jacks which seem perfect for visualizing the LFOs. And yes I agree being able to send the LFO with the direct control is really clever.

blakflag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blakflag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:42 am

Another question for people who know more than me about modular. Is there any hope of doing a entry-level CV <-> PC integration (eg VCV rack) without plunking down the money for an ES-9 or equivalent? My hardware is a FC-2, a Disting mk IV, a (non-CV coupled) Presonus Studiolive mixer., and a PC. Even 2 in/2 out would be enough for me to experiment.

Durdee
Common Wiggler

Using with Digitakt

Post by Durdee » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:56 pm

I just got one last week and I’m starting to wrap my head around how unbelievably useful it’s going to be. I was messing with a CV.OCD before (and i still use that with my beatstep pro for polyphonic control and also to make all 16 drum triggers and some clock divisions available at once) but this thing is amazing. I started by programming it to use with my op-1 in MIDI control mode. Then I got into designing LFOs with it... Holy cow. I’ve basically got 8 tempo-synced Sloths style random LFOs whose properties are really nicely controllable via the Digitakt. Along with my Pam’s New Workout and a few expanders it’s going to breathe so much life into my system. It’s really nice to know that it won’t cost much to continue adding to it as I need/want. Another ridiculously awesome module from ES, thanks Os, you’re a freaking rockstar. :hail:

Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:26 am

Been running the FH-2 with 3 CV expanders & 2 cv.ocd driven by Digitakt & Digitone for a few weeks now. Still using the 2 cv.ocd for clock outs, gates and an additional 8 cv outs if/when needed. I have a couple of dedicated LFOs but find myself using them less now I have the FH-2. The fact the FH-2 can receive midi on all 3 inputs simultaneously is fantastic, also being able to control the FH2 envs, lfos, arps & euclidian parameters with cc's from both the Elektron boxes is awesome.
With immediate help from Os (on here) it took me less than 48hrs to get my head around the config tool. My only gripe is the manual which imho assumes too much prior knowledge. I don't think it's a major issue but if the manual was easier to understand I doubt I would have needed as much direct assistance from Os during the initial stages of getting it setup the way I wanted. Still, got to agree with @Durdee - Os is an amazingly talented developer/all round euro hero and in my mind there's no doubt the FH2 is way ahead of any other current solutions for integrating midi sequencers or controllers with euro.

blakflag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blakflag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:24 am

Tun wrote: My only gripe is the manual which imho assumes too much prior knowledge. I don't think it's a major issue but if the manual was easier to understand I doubt I would have needed as much direct assistance from Os during the initial stages of getting it setup the way I wanted. Still, got to agree with @Durdee - Os is an amazingly talented developer/all round euro hero and in my mind there's no doubt the FH2 is way ahead of any other current solutions for integrating midi sequencers or controllers with euro.
Yes, this is my only issue too. I think the documentation falls prey to "seems obvious to me" syndrome. I scratched my head for a long time trying to understand the relationships between the various tables in the web UI. I'm still not 100% there. I think a good, LONG, beginner tutorial starting from the most obvious operations and slowly building up to the full config would help the less experienced (like me). I've watched everything on youtube and it's way too brief for the depth of this tool.

Still... thank you Os, your work is brilliant.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Tun wrote:My only gripe is the manual which imho assumes too much prior knowledge. I don't think it's a major issue but if the manual was easier to understand I doubt I would have needed as much direct assistance from Os during the initial stages of getting it setup the way I wanted. Still, got to agree with @Durdee - Os is an amazingly talented developer/all round euro hero and in my mind there's no doubt the FH2 is way ahead of any other current solutions for integrating midi sequencers or controllers with euro.
I agree.
Os should give the manual some new quality time.
The FH-2 deserves it.
I share the sentiment that the FH-2 is ahead of any of its competition.
Even just the basic capabilitys are immens. I for my one never used the LFOs or anything such so far.....still need to dive into that.

I sequenze one FH-2 from two Digitakts now ! ....having several FHX-8CV expanders plus a FHX-8GT plus a EHX-8GT.
Awesome setup ! its immense ! works perfect !

best decission ever to get more expanders AND a second DT.
not cause i needed more CV outs or more sequenzerlines.
Its just a thing of convenience and ease of use.
Each track in the DT, each jack in the FH-2 setup has just its own fixed role. Never change.*
...........no hassle. Feels very analog. Each knob and jack does tomorrow what it did today........
(* well, i change the midi channels on the DTs tracks, vs. the FH-2 settings)

my remaining analog sequenzers start and reset now *allways* perfectly ! Its a dream.
I even don´t change any longer patterns on the DT.
i just save all the time.........and start from where it all ended at the next power up and reprogramm on the fly.......
has anybody a tip for a better place to surf euro modular ??
serious request !! please PM me

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:20 am

Funky40 wrote:
DMR wrote: - does the FH-2 echo the data on the USB host port to the DIN midi output? .
os wrote:It doesn't do that currently, though as I say it certainly could, if that's a genuinely useful feature.
+1 from me for a Midi thru functionality ! ( still waiting for my FH-2 delivery)
one possible scenario: send same midi that goes to modular to another synth or another (midi) FX box running in series or parallel. Mixed modular/stompbox FX setup for example ( same with synths).
.......could/would save another box and more cable mess on the table ? not that unimportant as some might think ;)

would be VERY welcome !
Has MIDI thru from the USB to the DIN been added? It would be nice to have.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:45 am

Yes.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:11 am

Thanks Os. That's great.

I was looking through the manual for the latest OS and didn't see a mention, and there isn't a setting on the Web Editor. Does that mean the Fh-2 just passes all the signals it receives at the USB host input to the DIN output when it it connected? Or does it work some other way?

Or if there's a video that explains it, feel free to direct me (or if I missed it somewhere in the manual).

TIA.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:24 am

click the "show CV/Midi" checkbox on the top,
where all options/editors can be enabled.
Then look at that specific "editor" ( to say so)
has anybody a tip for a better place to surf euro modular ??
serious request !! please PM me

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:52 am

JES wrote:I was looking through the manual for the latest OS and didn't see a mention, and there isn't a setting on the Web Editor. Does that mean the Fh-2 just passes all the signals it receives at the USB host input to the DIN output when it it connected? Or does it work some other way?
Page 16 of the manual, 'MIDI Forwarding'.

Fubard
Common Wiggler

Post by Fubard » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:19 pm

Hello good wigglers!

As per due diligence, Ive googled up the queery & perused the manual to no avail. I’m hoping since Expert Sleepers indicates on their website to come here to contact them, that they among other astute users are watching with experience and expertice.

I have a decent collection of vintage CV synths currently being run by Kenton Pro2000s and am looking to upgrade to something more modern & flexible. I’m familiar w eurorack, & would get a PSU big enough to support a few of these. Ive been looking around & the FH-2 looks great but there is one big reason I want to switch midi/cv interfaces...

My main question is simple (lol): PORTAMENTO? I see it DOES portamento but I need to know HOW WELL it does portamento. Can you tweak the slew time? Logarithmic or linear? How FAST can the portamento get? The kenton are great but the Portamento on both my MK1 & 2 are still not very fast even at its very lowest setting. Also can I automate portamento on/off via midi cc?

Also, I can see it does the weird pull-up gate activation; are these options avalible on the gate expander?

I’ll apolagize in advance if these are stupid questions, just being dense & not finding the info anywhere, sorry.

Thanks so much!
Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:50 am

Can you tweak the slew time?
Yes.
Logarithmic or linear?
Logarithmic.
How FAST can the portamento get?
Under 1ms.
Also can I automate portamento on/off via midi cc?
Yes.
Also, I can see it does the weird pull-up gate activation; are these options avalible on the gate expander?
Not sure what you mean there.

Fubard
Common Wiggler

Post by Fubard » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:28 am

WOW that was quick and definitive, thanks so much! I heard ES really has their stuff together with that next level gear. Not that leaves me w one last & final requirement for these to fit my needs.
Not sure what you mean there.[/quote]

By weird gate pull up I mean the rather abnormal types to run vintage synths. I see it does +-5 & others but will it drive the Yamaha CS w their odd -3/on +7/off triggering requirements? Also, would it do Moog style S-trig? & if so, would these less common trigger stylings be avalible on the FHX-8GT gate expander?

Thanks again for all the awesome support! I’m looking forwarward to working w this amazing new midiCV solution :)
Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:29 am

The FHX-8GT does +5V gates only. The FH-2 will do ±5V or 0-10V, neither of which covers -3 -> +7, but I've never heard of people struggling to trigger CS synths so I think they might actually be more forgiving than that.

S-trig is a completely different electrical connection, not just a different voltage choice. Sometimes simply inverting a Eurorack gate works, but really you should use an adaptor cable: http://www.doepfer.de/faq/gen_faq.htm#S-Trig

Fubard
Common Wiggler

Post by Fubard » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:07 pm

os wrote:The FHX-8GT does +5V gates only. The FH-2 will do ±5V or 0-10V, neither of which covers -3 -> +7, but I've never heard of people struggling to trigger CS synths so I think they might actually be more forgiving than that.

S-trig is a completely different electrical connection, not just a different voltage choice. Sometimes simply inverting a Eurorack gate works, but really you should use an adaptor cable: http://www.doepfer.de/faq/gen_faq.htm#S-Trig
Yah simple enough to make an adapter for Moog & Korg. Guess we’ll just have to try & see what happens w the old Yams. Fingers crossed, the feature set on these really is impressive, especially in relation to the price. Thanks again for the help!
Thanks!

Stue
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'

Post by Stue » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:53 am

The FH-2 is a super working horse opening up a completely different world of jamming with a modular system. I am utilizing it with a Digitakt and a Digitone Keys.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:27 pm

I just got one of these.

It says it can act as an LFO generator... Is it possible to do that without any external source? Just an output acting as an arbitrary speed LFO?

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:22 am

Yes, it can do that. You can also set up the inputs to control any parameter like speed or waveform, but you don’t have to.

kuuma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kuuma » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Apologies if it's been answered elsewhere; I'm having trouble setting my FH2 up to receive external clock.

I'm connected to Ableton via the USB-C port, and the menu displays C IO, which afaik indicate it's sending and receiving signals from the daw, but the button will just toggle clock between 'None' and 'Int'.

Tried to receive a clock signal via the X input as well and still couldn't figure it out. Not sure where to set it up to receive external clock with either method..

Slowly getting used to everything else though – it's my first deeply programmable module

kpreid
Common Wiggler

Post by kpreid » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:30 pm

kuuma wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:05 pm
I'm having trouble setting my FH2 up to receive external clock.

I'm connected to Ableton via the USB-C port, and the menu displays C IO, which afaik indicate it's sending and receiving signals from the daw, but the button will just toggle clock between 'None' and 'Int'.
Might not be your problem, but in order to use a MIDI clock the FH-2 must receive a "start" message. I asked about bypassing this and it's not yet possible: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=219270

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:52 pm

kuuma wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:05 pm
Apologies if it's been answered elsewhere; I'm having trouble setting my FH2 up to receive external clock.

Tried to receive a clock signal via the X input as well and still couldn't figure it out. Not sure where to set it up to receive external clock with either method..

Slowly getting used to everything else though – it's my first deeply programmable module
I use Studio One but perhaps it's the same... I didn't have to do much besides set the unit up as an external device using USB-C, everything else was plug in play regarding clock (probably the only thing I didn't have an issue with as a noob with this thing lol). In Studio One, clock signals aren't sent constantly, only when the "Play" button is enabled, aka either recording, listening, or just arbitrarily going along through measures or looping in order to do something like send out clock. If the session is paused, no clock gets sent. May or may not be your problem in Ableton but that's how it is in SO. And as previously mentioned, when I set the external device up, I had to enable send S/S messages, which are sent along via the aforementioned play / start and stop buttons.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”